Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 23:42   #976
BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MFP
Posts: 739
Thanked: 763 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I had a near miss yesterday and am cross posting from another thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Yesterday, while coming back from Patna, all of a sudden these 2 elderly dhoti clad gentlemen on bike popped out of nowhere. We were doing about 70kmph and my driver stomped hard on brake pedal and got first hand feel of ABS kicking in. I was on passenger seat and before I could understand where they came from, I saw them waving hands to stop traffic to let them cut across through an illegal crossing in median. Had it not been for ABS, we would have skidded and banged them.

It looks very leisurely in video but it was too quick.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I have a Transcend Drivepro 220 and I've fixed a speed limit of 80kmph. Whenever the car crosses 80, it starts sounding an alarm and that helps us in keeping check on our speeds. Even my parents are aware of this so with the driver driving the car and them in rear seats, if they hear an alarm, they ask him to slow down. Moreover, my driver is a sedate driver. As far as driving sedately on a 4 lane road is concerned, there have been instances when a loaded truck/ tractor has popped out in opposite direction. I have driven in many states and I can say that you can spot morons everywhere.
God forbid if something had happened, I hope that the dashcam would have saved us.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 10:25   #977
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 395
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
God forbid if something had happened, I hope that the dashcam would have saved us.
I was once listening to a radio broadcast where the local (Bangalore) traffic police commissioner was being interviewed. To some question on similar lines (people making wrong turns etc. without warning), he said that the concept in India was that of "defensive driving". Which means your driver should have anticipated, for every second of your journey, that a moron would appear from nowhere, and he should be ready to stop the vehicle in less than a moment's notice (laws of physics, like momentum, be damned).

Am not a lawyer, so cannot comment if the footage from the dashcam video would have helped you prove that it was not your driver's fault, and hence get a lighter sentence.

I have come to a stage where I have started considering employing drivers as a necessity, rather than a luxury
ajayclicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 10:45   #978
BHPian
 
FarPatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 153
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
My DIY attempt at adding a CPL filter to the mini 0805 with neodymium magnets - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3969792 (My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX)
Harsh, that's a neat trick. Didn't know that such small rare earth magnets were so easily available here in India. In fact I too had ordered two CPL filters, for my front and rear dashcams, from AliExpress but there was no sign of them after more than 60 days, so I cancelled the order. I'll try again, using your link and also order the magnets to fit them to my cams. Thanks.
By the way, do you think fewer magnets would work just as well? My rear cam is stuck to the rear windshield and it'll be a bit of a pain to stick the magnets to it, so if 4 or 6 would do the job it would make my life a bit easier. Or I could just magnetically mount them on to the CPL, put a dab of superglue on each and carefully stick the whole job on to the cam. Do you think that would work?

Last edited by FarPatel : 10th May 2016 at 10:50.
FarPatel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 12:08   #979
BHPian
 
dheepak10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 174
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I have placed an order for G1W-CB from Gearbest website. There is an offer going on, where this unit is available for 39.69 USD.

It has the Novatek 96650 chipset with Aptina AR0330 image sensor, which is the same that is used in the SJCAM SJ4000 action camera.

G1WHT is also available for the same price. The difference is that the HT has a 140 degree viewing angle, while the CB has 120 degrees; but the HT uses Generalplus GPCV2156 chipset and not the Novatek 96650.

The order will take around 3 weeks to arrive and I'll post my review post that.

Link for the dashcam
dheepak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 13:40   #980
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: DL 3C
Posts: 177
Thanked: 316 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
By the way, do you think fewer magnets would work just as well? My rear cam is stuck to the rear windshield and it'll be a bit of a pain to stick the magnets to it, so if 4 or 6 would do the job it would make my life a bit easier. Or I could just magnetically mount them on to the CPL, put a dab of superglue on each and carefully stick the whole job on to the cam. Do you think that would work?
I'd initially started with four magnets, the hold was strong but there was a shift happening to the filter position on rotation. With the outer rim fully covered, the hold is stronger and the rotation of the CPL is super smooth without shifting.

Working with one magnet at a time worked better for me. If you're precise, that may work too.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 13:59   #981
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,526
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
I have placed an order for G1W-CB from Gearbest website. There is an offer going on, where this unit is available for 39.69 USD.

It has the Novatek 96650 chipset with Aptina AR0330 image sensor, which is the same that is used in the SJCAM SJ4000 action camera.

G1WHT is also available for the same price. The difference is that the HT has a 140 degree viewing angle, while the CB has 120 degrees; but the HT uses Generalplus GPCV2156 chipset and not the Novatek 96650.

The order will take around 3 weeks to arrive and I'll post my review post that.

Link for the dashcam
I am using this since a couple of months and it is very good.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 15:14   #982
BHPian
 
dheepak10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 174
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am using this since a couple of months and it is very good.
That's great to hear. Just a quick question on the suction cup - will it be able to withstand Indian summers, when the car is parked out in the sun, say for an hour or two.
dheepak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 16:15   #983
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,526
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
That's great to hear. Just a quick question on the suction cup - will it be able to withstand Indian summers, when the car is parked out in the sun, say for an hour or two.
Yes it does hold on pretty well. I moisten the suction cup before mounting it. This makes it hold on longer. Besides the camera unit is very light. Compared to say SJCAM 4000 this is less than half its weight!
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 17:46   #984
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,496
Thanked: 2,963 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes it does hold on pretty well. I moisten the suction cup before mounting it. This makes it hold on longer. Besides the camera unit is very light. Compared to say SJCAM 4000 this is less than half its weight!
Is there a WiFi version of the same, a la SJCam SJ4000+? I couldn't find one on gearbest - only Xiaomi Yi, which is in chinese only!

Last edited by phamilyman : 10th May 2016 at 17:50.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 18:11   #985
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,526
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Is there a WiFi version of the same, a la SJCam SJ4000+? I couldn't find one on gearbest - only Xiaomi Yi, which is in chinese only!
Nope, there is no wifi version of this camera
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 18:33   #986
BHPian
 
blackwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 415
Thanked: 577 Times
Default

I had ordered an SJ 4000 from eBay long time ago, the cam worked well for a couple of weeks and simply died. Just shows a white screen on its display. Any solutions?

Also, which is a good dash cam available on Indian sites that offers 1080p shooting capability?
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 19:06   #987
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 248
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I had ordered an SJ 4000 from eBay long time ago, the cam worked well for a couple of weeks and simply died. Just shows a white screen on its display. Any solutions?

Also, which is a good dash cam available on Indian sites that offers 1080p shooting capability?
A DOD LS460W is the best for FullHD (I have tested 3 so far) - but is expensive - around 16k INR.

Only 1 website has it here - I will have to check and post if there is any interest.

A newer version is out - but not yet available in India.
SuperFlyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 19:38   #988
BHPian
 
blackwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 415
Thanked: 577 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
A DOD LS460W is the best for FullHD (I have tested 3 so far) - but is expensive - around 16k INR.

Only 1 website has it here - I will have to check and post if there is any interest.

A newer version is out - but not yet available in India.

Yes, that's a tad bit too high. How about Transcend DrivePro 220? It's available for 10k on Amazon.in.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 19:41   #989
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 248
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Yes, that's a tad bit too high. How about Transcend DrivePro 220? It's available for 10k on Amazon.in.
Haven't tried one, so cannot comment.

However, I see a UAE website selling the DOD LS460W for cheaper than the locally available one, but would involve shipping. (And possibly additional Customs duties)

I would compare videos (not necessarily YouTube ones, as they apparently distort the HD) on various other websites.

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 10th May 2016 at 19:50.
SuperFlyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 19:52   #990
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,461
Thanked: 7,799 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Yes, that's a tad bit too high. How about Transcend DrivePro 220? It's available for 10k on Amazon.in.
A dedicated thread for Transcend DrivePro here (Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR).

I am using the DP200 since more than 2 years, and Happy.

You can refer to the sample videos - Day/Night, 1080p/720p here.

The 220 is almost similar except additional features like GPS, Built in Battery, Lane departure Warning etc.

And here is where you can compare various models from Transcend.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th May 2016 at 19:54.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use your Camcorder/Digicam as a Dashcam for Rs.100 mukeshgoel Modifications & Accessories 20 15th September 2015 14:24
The DVR thread (Digital Video Recorder) rrangan Gadgets, Computers & Software 23 4th March 2015 12:03
Spy video camera with recorder for car gaddiwale Gadgets, Computers & Software 13 19th July 2014 04:22
Portable Audio Recorder Reqd condor Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 2nd January 2008 09:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks