Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 31st May 2016, 17:53   #1021
BHPian

Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
I specifically went for DP200 for the WiFi (and wide angle) but it turns out to be sore thumb. The connection is not consistent. Even when connected, the transfer is very slow.
The biggest headache is, if the connection drops in-between, you cannot reconnect and the cam stuck in connection-acceptance mode. You cannot restart it as well. It stuck there until all the capacitor power is drowned, resetting the settings and date to initial configuration.
I'm using the cable to transfer the files now.
Hey Swift thanks for that. It answers my doubts perfectly. It's a pity the 100 doesn't have GPS. Now I wonder if it's worth shelling out 11111/_ .( Yup that's the price today for the 220) just for GPS. Someone earlier asked about getting one from the US. Hopefully if someone can answer I may just get that one since I have an acquaintance coming next month. Let's wait and see what price the 220 stabilizes to.
vinitbhavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 11:15   #1022
BHPian

Guys, I’m facing a peculiar issue with my dashcam (see my earlier post no. 997).

My 32 GB memory stick seems to be hiding almost an equal amount of space that is actually being used. I’ve formatted the stick using the cam itself, as well as the PC, with the same results. Eg., yesterday I formatted the stick again, when the space available showed 29.7 GB. After driving for approximately 2 hours I checked the stick again and found the following when I right-clicked-properties of the stick in the left window of Windows Explorer:

Used space was 10.6 GB
Free space was 19.1 GB.
Total capacity was 29.7 GB

However, when I went into the individual folders in the right window of Windows Explorer (I also have a rear cam plugged into the same unit) I found that the video for the front and rear cams has used up only 6.2 GB and the other folders, I.e., lock and photo, are empty. So where have the missing 4.4 GB gone?

This means that my data is overwritten every 5 hours, instead of the 10 hrs I would expect, considering a round figure of 3 GB/hr for front+rear cams. Any ideas on this would be welcome.
FarPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 17:42   #1023
BHPian

With the amount of fear instilled by reckless drivers / bikers / autos in Pune, my wife needs a dash-cam for peace of mind. We've looked through the GoPro Hero, SJ4000 but these do not really seem to be usable primarily as dash-cam. Need something really simply, that's connect and forget without spending more on accessories, worrying about batteries and stuff.

Transcend DrivePro series seems like decent option. But saw a new entrant HP F800X
http://www.amazon.in/dp/B010SLVA8G?psc=1

It seems to come with extra features like Lane Departure Warning and some more gimmicks as per http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04767891

Has anyone tried this? Any experience shared would be really nice. I'm planning to buy this anyway, unless someone has a bad story to tell.
jagzrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 17:59   #1024
BHPian

The HP model uses the OV2710 CMOS sensor, used in the original Mini 0801. Video quality will be more than usable. But at 10k, it's highly overpriced. The internals are dated and way better cameras are available in this price range.

The Transcend models are a better buy.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 00:21   #1025
BANNED

I recently bought a AUTO VOX D1 from amazon uk. Decent video quality. Can hold 32 GB microsd card. Here is a sample video shot with this camera -

Regards,
Prasenjit
Uprasenjit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 09:30   #1026
BHPian

I just ordered the "VIOFO A118C 1.5 inch H.264 1080P Novatek 96650 Capacitor Battery Car DVR Dash Cam - BLACK" from GearBest.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_142025.html

Due to the flash sale and mobile 5% discount, total came to a little less than $46.

I had a quick check and at least the reviews were OK. Fingers crossed, and now for the long wait .
execve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 06:40   #1027
Senior - BHPian

I bought the Rexing S300 dash camera about a month back from Amazon [https://www.amazon.com/REXING-Vision...s=rexing+s300]. I'd like to share my experience here.

It's my first one and a pretty good buy. I was looking at wedge shaped design cameras and there were very few of them. The Rexing V1 was the first of this type (and an Amazon best seller) but the company recently came out with the S300, which is an updated version of the V1. Much sleeker looking with more functions and better quality.

For me, the quality of the video was utmost important because I was not only going to use it as a safety dash camera but also to record regular autocross/lap videos and scenic drives. And I am very happy to report that the Rexing S300 has probably one of the best video qualities out there. I have shown sample videos below and you will be able to see it. I still haven't uploaded a night video on YouTube but I can say it's pretty impressive.

There is a long list of features for the camera. Everything that a traditional dash camera should have. All features listed on the Amazon link. It should be noted though that, the camera comes with a Motion detection feature but the current firmware version does not support it. They have plans to release the feature soon as the camera has all the hardware for it already.

I did run into one problem with the camera. It suddenly stopped doing anything for one day. I reported this to their customer service (which is damn good). They reply within a few hours of your email. And for my case, they readily shipped a new unit without any fuss. Looks like I might have had a hardware problem in the old unit.

Here are sample videos (Please watch in full HD) :-

The camera sits flush with the windscreen and can go unnoticed easily. I have had passengers who never noticed the camera. I have neatly concealed all the wiring below the cladding in various places. Here is a video showing how I have cabled up the camera:-

theragingbull is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2016, 16:57   #1028
BHPian

Hey guys bought myself the transcend drivepro 220 finally. I personally think the WiFi will be of limited use but it's the GPS that's the star of the device. Just wanted to know the maximum memory supported on the device. Manual says 64 gb. Has anyone used the 128 gigs. Also is there any brand that WON'T work with the device. Wanted to confirm before I pick up the memory card.
Old 24th June 2016, 23:53   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hey guys bought myself the transcend drivepro 220 finally. I personally think the WiFi will be of limited use but it's the GPS that's the star of the device. Just wanted to know the maximum memory supported on the device. Manual says 64 gb. Has anyone used the 128 gigs. Also is there any brand that WON'T work with the device. Wanted to confirm before I pick up the memory card.
I had the same question & checked a lot of documentation and QnA's, did not get a favourable response hence stuck to the 64 GB card.

My friend uses a 128 gig card in his phone, I will borrow it to see if it is compatible and share the result

Overall i'm quite pleased with the Drivepro 220's image quality for the price
gaurav013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 08:53   #1030
Senior - BHPian

I have also shortlisted the Transcend Drive Pro 220. Since I have two cars, should I have two of them or is it OK to shift it from one car to the other when needed? Does the suction mount get spoilt (I have had a bad experience with mobile phone suction mounts in the past) if I keep mounting/unmounting it?

Second, I have other stuff needing power in the car. This one it seems to me will monopolise the power socket? How do people manage their other needs? I currently have a 3-USB port Aukey adapter, so if there is a power cable for the camera that supports USB it will be good.

(Quick answer will be appreciated, as Amazon says they only have 2 more in stock)
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 09:33   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have also shortlisted the Transcend Drive Pro 220. Since I have two cars, should I have two of them or is it OK to shift it from one car to the other when needed? Does the suction mount get spoilt (I have had a bad experience with mobile phone suction mounts in the past) if I keep mounting/unmounting it?
If I were you, I'd purchase two cameras and be done with it. Better than the nuisance of having to open a car, remove the camera, open the second car, fit the camera, do the alignment, etc. God forbid the one day you feel lazy to do this because "its just a 5 minute trip" be the day you need the camera's evidence.

If you do prefer a single camera, then I'd suggest you buy an additional mount such that the mounts remain fixed to the windscreen of each car, and you just detach the camera from the mount. Here are two mounts compatible with Transcend dash cameras (i.e. 100, 200, 220 models):
  • Transcend suction mount: LINK
  • Transcend adhesive mount: LINK
I have used the adhesive mount and have been very satisfied with it. If you have someone coming from the US, you can purchase this on Amazon.com at a cheaper price.

Quote:
Second, I have other stuff needing power in the car. This one it seems to me will monopolise the power socket? How do people manage their other needs? I currently have a 3-USB port Aukey adapter, so if there is a power cable for the camera that supports USB it will be good.
One option is to put in a hard-wired kit in each car for your dashcam. I'd recommend this, since it keeps your car interior wire free.

Else, get yourself any USB to mini-USB cable. The camera accepts a standardized mini-USB cable (not micro-USB as used in our cellphones, a mini-USB is a little larger).

Your Transcend camera will itself come with such a USB to mini-USB cable to connect it to a computer, but the length of this will not be sufficient. So, pick up a USB-to-USB extension cable.

This way, you can plug in the USB extension cable into your Aukey charger, the Transcend cable into the other end of the USB extension cable, and the other end of your Transcend cable into the camera.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 10:33   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav013 View Post
I had the same question & checked a lot of documentation and QnA's, did not get a favourable response hence stuck to the 64 GB card.

My friend uses a 128 gig card in his phone, I will borrow it to see if it is compatible and share the result

Overall i'm quite pleased with the Drivepro 220's image quality for the price
hii gaurav as per manual max supported is only 64 gigs. DO test the 128 and let me know. will pick up a memory card only after that. Also any idea if only transcend can be used what band is your 64 gig.

Quote:

(Quick answer will be appreciated, as Amazon says they only have 2 more in stock)
hii binand can you please share the links for both the aukey adapter and power cable which have two remaining.

Thanks.
Old 25th June 2016, 11:06   #1033
BHPian

Quote:

Also any idea if only transcend can be used what brand is your 64 gig.

Thanks.
I've not tried 128GB card so can't comment on that aspect. You can use any brand card which is Class 10. Using anything less will give trouble with recording/playback. I've 2 Drivepro 220s and am using Samsung pro 64 GB class 10 cards. They're perfect.
BoneCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 12:15   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hii binand can you please share the links for both the aukey adapter and power cable which have two remaining.
The Aukey adapter is this one: http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00OZ5BQ36

I think you misunderstood me - the "two remaining" was for the Transcend dashcam. Now of course, one remaining, since I ordered one.

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00U701N72
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 17:41   #1035
BHPian

Default The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I've not tried 128GB card so can't comment on that aspect. You can use any brand card which is Class 10. Using anything less will give trouble with recording/playback. I've 2 Drivepro 220s and am using Samsung pro 64 GB class 10 cards. They're perfect.

Hii thanks for the info. I was going to pick up the same sd card but was just wondering if I could use the 128. So waiting if anyone can comment.

Quote:
The Aukey adapter is this one: http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00OZ5BQ36

I think you misunderstood me - the "two remaining" was for the Transcend dashcam. Now of course, one remaining, since I ordered one.

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00U701N72

OK understood ya there are two remaining with prices ranging between 9k about a month back to even 18k sometimes. I assume you would have gotten it around 13k.
Seeing the adapter link I have a similar one but then this would use usb to connect the dashcam which was earlier discussed to avoid and instead use the 12v charger. I don't know how much of it is applicable and how many actually use the USB charger

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 25th June 2016 at 17:43.