Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 22nd May 2006, 12:38   #1
BHPian

Default URGENT! amp question:sony xm 55fzr

hi guys,
i am in a super confused state, can some more-knowlegeable persons enlighten me??

i'm gonna put an audio setup on my swift vxi model:
HU: pio 6850 mp3 Rs.9k
front: jbl 6.5 components OR Jbl 6.5 triaxials (Rs.3950) + pioneer t520 (or ts20?) tweeters (the tweeters are oval-ish)
rear: jbl 6.5 triaxials OR jbl ovals (Rs.4200) ??
sub: pioneer 400watts RMS 1000w max. (Rs.3650)
amp: sony xm 55fzr (Rs. 4950)

amp specs are: Rated Output Power:
4 Ch x55W at 4 ohms (0.04% THD)
2 x 65W+1Ch x130W at 4 ohms (0.1% THD)
4 Ch x 65W at 2 ohms (0.1% THD)

now my question is: the dealer says this amp is enough to drive the subwoofer as well as all the four speakers??? but it looks to me like theres not enough power?? what do you guys think?? also he says the triaxial with pio tweeters and back ovals are better combo than jbl comps front and 6.5 triaxials in rear. what are your views?

also please recommend me from the different choices that i have given for fronts and rears, and a different amp (maybe pio gm x944) if this sucks i am goin to fix this in like another 5 hours, so its urgent!!! thanks

Last edited by sleepy : 22nd May 2006 at 12:55.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 13:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy
hi guys,
i am in a super confused state, can some more-knowlegeable persons enlighten me??

i'm gonna put an audio setup on my swift vxi model:
HU: pio 6850 mp3 Rs.9k
front: jbl 6.5 components OR Jbl 6.5 triaxials (Rs.3950) + pioneer t520 (or ts20?) tweeters (the tweeters are oval-ish)
rear: jbl 6.5 triaxials OR jbl ovals (Rs.4200) ??
sub: pioneer 400watts RMS 1000w max. (Rs.3650)
amp: sony xm 55fzr (Rs. 4950)

amp specs are: Rated Output Power:
4 Ch x55W at 4 ohms (0.04% THD)
2 x 65W+1Ch x130W at 4 ohms (0.1% THD)
4 Ch x 65W at 2 ohms (0.1% THD)

now my question is: the dealer says this amp is enough to drive the subwoofer as well as all the four speakers??? but it looks to me like theres not enough power?? what do you guys think?? also he says the triaxial with pio tweeters and back ovals are better combo than jbl comps front and 6.5 triaxials in rear. what are your views?

also please recommend me from the different choices that i have given for fronts and rears, and a different amp (maybe pio gm x944) if this sucks i am goin to fix this in like another 5 hours, so its urgent!!! thanks
Hi Sleepy,

1)The HU is fine.
2) Components are the ones to go for. I do NOT recomend buying 2/3 way speakers in the front and then adding (shudder) a pioneer TS20 tweeter. Dont do it. Buy the component set for the front, REGARDLESS of what your dealer said. Trust me.
3) The swift will originally accomodate 6" triaxials in the rear with no modification. Putting oval speakers will mean parcel shelf mount. Since you have a sub, you dont need the ovals. Put the components (6") in the front and 6" coax in the rear.
4) The pioneer sub is ok. There are better subs. Unless you are going to a very good installer ( If your installer is saying the things he is, then he is not good) then you should either get a proper box made, or buy a PRE boxed subwoofer. Believe me, the box is 50% of the sound.
5) The amplifier is not enough to drive all of this. Perhaps the amp can drive all 4 speakers and you can buy a monoblock amp (if you have the budget) or a 2 channel amp and bridge it to the subwoofer.
6) EVEN if you buy a more powerful 4 channel amplifier, i dont recommend putting all 4 speakers and the amp on it. If your budget permits you only this amp, then connect your front components and the sub to it and let the rear speakers run off the HU.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:05   #3
BHPian

hey sam,

thanks so much for those views man, it was very helpful!

okay so based on your suggestions i'm planning to go for a second 2ch or mono amp. sub box is one of those premade ones (slanted on one side, straight other side), its plywood, around 1.5 inches thick... cost abt Rs.500, is it any good?

how are pioneer amps compared to sony? i dont have the budget to go for more expensive ones, as this setup will itself cost around 30k.

can you recommend a sony or pio 2ch or mono (no too exp.) amp to drive the 400w rms sub?

thanks
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

I totaly agree with what sam just said...........
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Box must be of MDF not PLYWOOD never ever....

From my personal experince pioneer amps are good than sony one so go for pioneer.......
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:23   #6
BHPian

thanks lbm. your setup looks kick *** dude!

can you give me your detailed audio specs?? couldnt find it in your profile..
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Check the profile home page for the specs..........
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:55   #8
BANNED

Hi sleepy.
I totally agree with Sam especially about that installer.

Components in front and co-ax or tri-ax in the back. No need for ovals. Mount the component woofers in the front doors and the component tweeters somewhere facing you (but not above your ear height). Mount the rear speakers in the rear doors for some depth in your sound image.

Your best bet is to get a monoblock Amp and let it fire the SUB. And if your budget does'nt allow it, get a good 2 channel or 4 channel and bridge all the channels to fire the SUB.

Your current AMP (Sony XM55) can power the components and rear speakers. And tune it to play mids and highs only. All the bass will come from the subwoofer and your speakers will handle all the mids and highs.

And if you cannot afford a new AMP now, Let your Sony AMP power the components and SUB. Bridge 2 channels and power the sub from it. The other 2 channels can power the compos. Later You can buy a decent monoblock and power the sub from it.

Your Pioneer SUB, (if you have'nt yet bought it) is not much of a musical sub. And it just punches Bass and not always sounds sweet. (though it is good VFM). Maybe you can browse some of other available SUBs in the same category.

My advice is to buy good quality ICE for your setup. And if you cant afford all at one go, then do it one by one. Buy speakers, later buy a nice SUB, then buy a monoblock, then a 4channel amp, then components etc....

Enjoy the sound!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 11:51   #9
BHPian

thanks speedzak and everyone else for their inputs. you guys make team-bhp the place to be!
sorry i didnt reply earlier, was a lil' busy with work.
okay, so as i said earlier, i put the front 6.5 inch JBL comps, reas 6.5 inch JBL Triaxials, and a 150W RMS pioneer 12inch sub along with a XM55 4ch amp. for rating please take a look at the first post.

Now i agree that all four speakers + sub cannot be handled by that little amp, so i thought i was going to put one amp now and prob. another one later. but the dealer suggested that he could install all four door speakers in 2 channels, and the other 2channels bridged for the sub, so i told him to do it just to see what happens.

well he did it, and it didnt seem underpowered to me as i thought it would. now i am no audiophile like you guys, but i couldnt detect any distortion or anything abnormal coming out of the speakers. yes the sub wasnt too much to my liking, it sounded a bit dead, but otherwise, the system seemed pretty good.

What do you guys make of this?? what would happen if i install another mono amp for the sub?? as it is, it seems to have quite good bass and volume.
Old 30th May 2006, 16:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
Box must be of MDF not PLYWOOD never ever........
Well if you use void free marine grade ply you can make a nice box too.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote