Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 18:22   #331
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
Definitely there is 260W at 14.4V, a 25% increase but with a higher THD of 1% @ 260W vs 0.3% @ 210W at 12V. So effectively the power with low distortion remains the same over the voltage bandwidth.
hmm so we can say that we should consider the 12 volts rating rather than the 14.4 volts for the amp....and this will be a 210 watts finally.....
low_bass_makker is offline  
Old 28th March 2007, 18:35   #332
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
OK guys the subs have been bought.....and in few days time I will be LBM (low_bass_makker) from NBM (no_bass_makker)......Ishan......
Congratulations LBM. Dunno where Ishaan is though. He seems to have disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
hmm so we can say that we should consider the 12 volts rating rather than the 14.4 volts for the amp....and this will be a 210 watts finally.....
Audison has always quoted nominal output power @ 12VDC; THD 0.3%. But keeping in mind the recent industry trend of CEA-2006 standards specs, they also have to quote output power @ 14.4VDC; THD 1% as per CES-2006 norms.

Last edited by gunbir : 28th March 2007 at 18:38.
gunbir is offline  
Old 28th March 2007, 18:39   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Congratulations LBM. Dunno where Ishaan is though. He seems to have disappeared.
Ya this Ishan and Sam Bhai both are now days doing some underground work......so they are less often seen on T-Bhp........
low_bass_makker is offline  
Old 28th March 2007, 19:05   #334
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

Ishan is setting up a tyre shop. I am here now, back, as much as I can be. Good going LBM, now we need to rename your thread to

"The Story of low_bass_makker"

as it is no longer about 3 way components.
Sam Kapasi is offline  
Old 28th March 2007, 19:29   #335
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Ishan is setting up a tyre shop. I am here now, back, as much as I can be. Good going LBM, now we need to rename your thread to

"The Story of low_bass_makker"

as it is no longer about 3 way components.

Ishan I would be needing 215 / 40 ZR 17 tyre...do u have them in stock or do I have to wait for them.....

mods do the needful...rename the thread to name as suggested by Sam Bhai.... "The Story of low_bass_makker".....thank you sir....

and can this thread shifted to the show-off section also...
low_bass_makker is offline  
Old 29th March 2007, 11:10   #336
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
hmm so we can say that we should consider the 12 volts rating rather than the 14.4 volts for the amp....and this will be a 210 watts finally.....
LBM, I'm sure the amplifier features a tightly regulated power supply. Its also corroborated by the findings of the CA&E reviewer.

A tightly regulated supply based power amplifier will never have such a huge variation in max power output (210 - 260 watts), but you can run a 260 watt amplifier at anything between 0 and 260 watts, right? The rating of the amplifier as you would like to look at it, would be 250-260 watts rms max between the operating voltages @1% THD, perhaps even more at higher THDs, but the manufacturer chooses to publish the maximum output that can be achieved with the best THD numbers, suited for the use of such an amplifier. Nothing wrong with that.
Bass&Trouble is offline  
Old 29th March 2007, 11:11   #337
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Ishan I would be needing 215 / 40 ZR 17 tyre...do u have them in stock or do I have to wait for them.....
Ishan Bhai, opening ke liye bhi nahin bulaaya?
Bass&Trouble is offline  
Old 29th March 2007, 11:35   #338
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
LBM, I'm sure the amplifier features a tightly regulated power supply. Its also corroborated by the findings of the CA&E reviewer.

A tightly regulated supply based power amplifier will never have such a huge variation in max power output (210 - 260 watts), but you can run a 260 watt amplifier at anything between 0 and 260 watts, right? The rating of the amplifier as you would like to look at it, would be 250-260 watts rms max between the operating voltages @1% THD, perhaps even more at higher THDs, but the manufacturer chooses to publish the maximum output that can be achieved with the best THD numbers, suited for the use of such an amplifier. Nothing wrong with that.
also in the review the output rating are above the 12.5 rated output but not as high as it must be at 14.4 within limited distortion values.....so which value to look for .......
low_bass_makker is offline  
Old 29th March 2007, 11:48   #339
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
also in the review the output rating are above the 12.5 rated output but not as high as it must be at 14.4 within limited distortion values.....so which value to look for .......
I did not completely understand what you mean here, but I am supposing you are referring to the fact that Audison rates the amp at 70W x 4 + 75W x 2 @1% THD, 14.4V while the reviewer records 67 x 4 under same conditions. This deviation is acceptable. Like the reviewer says, its nearly 4%. The rating at 0.3% THD is 65W x 6 according to Audison. So this particular model manages to stabilize output (per channel) much better than the other two channel amp whose specs you have posted? I am not sure, but you sure ask some really menacing questions. Let us hand over to GB & JB.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 29th March 2007 at 11:49.
Bass&Trouble is offline  
Old 29th March 2007, 13:12   #340
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I am not sure, but you sure ask some really menacing questions. Let us hand over to GB & JB.
Hmmmm.....it is just clearing my layman doubts........
low_bass_makker is offline  
Old 29th March 2007, 14:01   #341
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Well, the CA&E review wasn't written by me. So I really don't know what I'm supposed to clarify here.

LBM, for someone who believed "A watt is a watt" you sure made a helluva switch from Alpine to Steg. Steg makes some great stuff and as I have said earlier, I look forward to hearing your setup at the upcoming meet. I have always said the current Alpine amps suck and I'm sure your setup is playing far better now with some quality amplification.

All that was being discussed was the fact that regulated power supplies while not that common in car audio, aren't exactly proprietary technology and brands apart from Steg also have them. Beyond that, I have absolutely no intention of getting into a brand vs brand argument here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Hmmmm.....it is just clearing my layman doubts........
We have problems with dealers and end users who cant grasp the concept of a 40k amp that does only 100w x2!!! Of course, they don't understand the specs and thats an issue that we have to deal with all the time.

Cmon, when I used the term "layperson" I meant it generally and of course I did not mean you. But if you want to lay(a)man, its fine with me as long as its not me .
gunbir is offline  
Old 29th March 2007, 14:10   #342
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,884 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
Definitely there is 260W at 14.4V, a 25% increase but with a higher THD of 1% @ 260W vs 0.3% @ 210W at 12V. So effectively the power with low distortion remains the same over the voltage bandwidth.
JB,

the amp says 210W Nominal at 0.3% at 12V and later 260W at 14.4V at 1%. In all probablity the amp would put out 260W (or close to it) at 1% at 12V too. Most amps have higher distortion as dissapated power increases.

I think the operative word in the manual is "Nominal", it means Nominal power at the Nominal voltage of 12V. After all we do rate our car batteries 12V not 14.4V.

Last edited by navin : 29th March 2007 at 14:14.
navin is offline  
Old 30th March 2007, 15:33   #343
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

i didnt find what subs has LBM bought.
panky12345 is offline  
Old 30th March 2007, 15:43   #344
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gujarat 03
Posts: 1,302
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
i didnt find what subs has LBM bought.
I think it is surprise thats why.. LBM where are you ?? how about some details ??
Mugen_Power is offline  
Old 30th March 2007, 15:52   #345
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
i didnt find what subs has LBM bought.
hmmm that is a little surprise....which will be disclosed in few days time.....
low_bass_makker is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga 71Convertible Post-War 100 5th December 2016 21:24
My Used Cars Saga ramzsys Long-Term Ownership Reviews 34 8th July 2010 20:08
Milk Spill Woes- a tragic saga ascertain Shifting gears 43 3rd May 2009 11:10
Saga Of Palio 1.6 Breakdown eclectix 1st Long-Term Ownership Reviews 151 27th May 2008 11:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks