Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 5th October 2007, 14:37   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah the saga of Low_Mass_Baker - so much fun.

Quote:
If the owner feels that the singer sitting in the lap is ok with him then I dont have any problem.
lol I also feel this is OK yaar.
Old 5th October 2007, 14:47   #827
Team-BHP Support

So what engine modifications have been done to that car?
Old 5th October 2007, 14:50   #828
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Rtech, fancy seeing you here. You must be lost.

The car has 16" wheels and 40 profile tyres. The tyres used to keep exploding till LBM found the cause. Nazar.

Now he puts a piece of black tape on one spoke of each alloy wheel and everything is fine. This is why I find him so cute.
Old 5th October 2007, 14:51   #829
Team-BHP Support

Just dropping in to see what the fun is all about! Funny story about the wheels! I see now why this section is so popular.
Old 5th October 2007, 15:05   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
If the owner feels that the singer sitting in the lap is ok with him then I dont have any problem.
Hmm.... Now I understand why SK listens to a lot of Diana Krall... I wouldnt mind having her singing in my lap either
Old 5th October 2007, 15:12   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
I am afraid no. Time alignment does help a little but you cannot match the cpabilities of a phase shifter.
Pardon my ignorance, sir, but could you please tell us the difference between TA and Phase Shifter?

Visualized graphically (in time domain; for simplicity imagine a cosine is shifted 90deg or 1/4f secs over a sine), they represent the same relative to origin. That is, each point, as the one adjacent, on the line is shifted right - delayed. Fourier transform will give identical content for both the original and shifted signal.

Or maybe I shouldn't be using engineering visualization?! Old habits die hard.
Old 5th October 2007, 15:53   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
The car has 16" wheels and 40 profile tyres. The tyres used to keep exploding till LBM found the cause. Nazar.
Sam,

Car has 17" alloys with korean 215/40 Tyres.
Old 5th October 2007, 16:13   #833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Next time you listen to any car don't judge the soundstage by looking at driver mounting locations. Instead judge the soundstage based on the stage height and depth of musical instruments and vocals.
JB, I asked a few question on post 822. What are your views?

Quote:
But then in my opinion the singer should be on the dash singing in the front of the face.
Now please stick to the topic of the thread which is my install or Navin Ji will get angry and I will not get my Appy Fizz and Butter Chicken.
A singer sitting in front one one face! LBM you are funnier than I ever thought you'd be. just kidding. I know what you mean but that phase did sound funny. I just wonder what perverted mineds like B&T and Sam would do with such an "invitation".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Hmm.... Now I understand why SK listens to a lot of Diana Krall... I wouldnt mind having her singing in my lap either
Now where have I heard this before?
Old 5th October 2007, 16:21   #834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Visualized graphically (in time domain; for simplicity imagine a cosine is shifted 90deg or 1/4f secs over a sine), they represent the same relative to origin. That is, each point, as the one adjacent, on the line is shifted right - delayed. Fourier transform will give identical content for both the original and shifted signal.
Laplace transforms infact (Fourier was Laplace's student).

"Laplace transform is often interpreted as a transformation from the time-domain, in which inputs and outputs are functions of time, to the frequency-domain, where the same inputs and outputs are functions of complex angular frequency, or radians per unit time"

soruce: Laplace transform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Laplace Transforms are used to convert time domain relationships to a set of equations expressed in terms of the Laplace operator 's'. Thereafter, the solution of the original problem is effected by simple algebraic manipulations in the 's' or Laplace domain rather than the time domain."

source : http://lorien.ncl.ac.uk/ming/dynamics/laplace.pdf
Old 5th October 2007, 16:53   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
So true...

Seems like LBM is fed up of 50 Cent sitting in his lap all this long. Thats why he is trying so hard to relocate his drivers
Old 5th October 2007, 17:52   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So true...

Seems like LBM is fed up of 50 Cent sitting in his lap all this long. Thats why he is trying so hard to relocate his drivers
Hmm when did I said in this long thread or any other place of this whole forum that 50 Cents was sitting in my lap it was in SK car na

He was all the way outside or down in my legs or no place to be found in my car.

Quote:
LBM please try and concentrate in reading the posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Pardon my ignorance, sir, but could you please tell us the difference between TA and Phase Shifter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
JB, I asked a few question on post 822. What are your views?
I think some answers are still pending....
Old 5th October 2007, 18:31   #837
BHPian

Quote:
When I mentioned DSPs I meant that phase shifters were prevalent becuase analog active crossovers/equallisers introduced phase shift and these phase shifters were needed to compensate. However today with all this happening in the Digital Domain are phase shifters still relevent?.
Yes sir if you can get seperate control over the phase it is still relevant. Atleast to me it is. In SK's car there is no processing I had to do best within whatever crossover had to offer.

I even wired tweeters out of phase from mids and kickbass..Now flame me over this

Quote:
You prefered to use the location to the controls available on the Rainbow crossovers? or were the controls available not adequate? I fear that one day SK or one of his friends/family might kick that tweeter in. I sure hope that day never comes.
Like I said I listened and then settled for that location not that I had a dream of putting the tweeters in the kickpanel and next morning I stuck them there. I prefered the location as I wanted the tweeters to be less obtrusive. In earlier setup on SK's demand, I shifted Hertz Energy Tweeters down to kickpanel from dash board location and they sounded better there.

Under no circumstances you can accidently damage the tweeter in that location. Sit in a Santro and see for yourself.

Last edited by Autophile : 5th October 2007 at 18:38.
Old 5th October 2007, 19:48   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm when did I said in this long thread or any other place of this whole forum that 50 Cents was sitting in my lap it was in SK car na .
LBM, you must've listened to 50 cents in SK's car, cauz as far as am aware, you still dont have used option IV in your car. yeh theek nikala tune ab....tweeter neeche lagao, aur singer ko god (lap) mein bithao....

BTW: dono ke lap pe baithta hai singer ke ek hi pe? shayad driver ke hi, kyonki waha soundstage jyaada hota hai.

anyways, how was the experience with 50 cents?

Last edited by panky12345 : 5th October 2007 at 19:50.
Old 6th October 2007, 01:18   #839
BHPian

50 cents in my car....No way dude..I strictly forbid anythign remotely sounding like 50 cents or Himesh in my car.
Old 6th October 2007, 09:41   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Laplace transforms infact (Fourier was Laplace's student).

"Laplace transform is often interpreted as a transformation from the time-domain, in which inputs and outputs are functions of time, to the frequency-domain, where the same inputs and outputs are functions of complex angular frequency, or radians per unit time"

soruce: Laplace transform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Laplace Transforms are used to convert time domain relationships to a set of equations expressed in terms of the Laplace operator 's'. Thereafter, the solution of the original problem is effected by simple algebraic manipulations in the 's' or Laplace domain rather than the time domain."

source : http://lorien.ncl.ac.uk/ming/dynamics/laplace.pdf
But, all that is kinda hidden in FFT (the digital technique used nowadays) so one doesn't have to work out the s-domain stuff on paper and then iteratively chart out the individual components. Apart from audio processing, it is also used heavily in imaging. God bless Laplace for helping create Fair and Lovely ads.

Anyhow, the FFT output of pre- and post-TA (or phase-shifting) would not, or rather should not, show difference in signal content. Or am I off target by miles?

Waiting for @autophile's views on TA v/s PS.
Closed Thread