Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2008, 01:46   #1321
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAGWAN View Post
I have heard them in 2 different installs & I am not so sure if I could second that point of view;
Sir, have you heard them? Even if you have, I'm sure you have not heard them with amplification quality close to even 10% of what they actually deserve.
Bass&Trouble is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:38   #1322
BHPian
 
clipto333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jalandhar
Posts: 912
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAGWAN View Post
This is interesting !!

I have heard them in 2 different installs & I am not so sure if I could second that point of view;
I have not heard them but the people who have used them say they sound great.
It could be that they are not tunned to your liking or not tunned properly.

cheers
clip
clipto333 is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:25   #1323
BHPian
 
BHAGWAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai - Bombay
Posts: 628
Thanked: 7 Times
Unhappy I do not like it !!

Sir,

What can I say;
I like Illusion Carbon Components.
I think they are good sounding & great value for money products.

However, I have never been able to 'warm up' to the sound of the Illusion Horn Speakers.
Well I guess, even in Home Audio I was never a SET + Horn person. So I guess this is not my 'cup ot tea'

If LBM installs them with Steg Amplifiers & I get a chance to listen to it, yes, I shall write a report on it, but for the time being - based on my listening notes - I will not endorse this product from the Illusion Audio stables.

Sorry - B & T / LBM !!
BHAGWAN is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:40   #1324
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAGWAN View Post
based on my listening notes
Interesting.

I have always wondered how people like you, Navin, B&T, JB, Gunbir, DerAlte. RoC, Hydra, Sam, LBM ... recall the details of various auditions. Some of which you may have taken years ago.

Maybe you could start a thread and share tips on how you keep a record/log of 'auditions'. Others could add their methods/suggestions.

Last edited by shuvc : 22nd April 2008 at 15:41.
shuvc is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 18:53   #1325
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
... I have always wondered how people ... recall the details of various auditions. Some of which you may have taken years ago.
...
Lasting impressions from deep involvement, dada! I am sure you will be able to recall the voice of your first GF, even if that was from years and years ago. (Even if your first one became your wife, still ... think, you will be able to relate to what I am saying)

BTW, what is the PIG... in your signature?

Last edited by DerAlte : 22nd April 2008 at 18:54.
DerAlte is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 19:45   #1326
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I am sure you will be able to recall the voice of your first GF,
Very true Phaji. I totally agree. So when did you last heard her
low_bass_makker is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 22:55   #1327
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

First GF. Hehe.
Buttttt ..
Here we are talking about dozens of them
Some which were fab, some good, some average, some not so good, some eeeks. The first and the last category would be easier to recall. However the majority would be the middle 3.
Pretty OT here, but seriously, is there a method to recording the decades of hearing experience?

Oh and you'll surely be able to work out the signature. Try.

edit. Any idea how to give a line gap when typing from a cellphone.

Last edited by shuvc : 22nd April 2008 at 23:02.
shuvc is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 23:00   #1328
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
(Even if your first one became your wife, still ... think, you will be able to relate to what I am saying)
If your first GF became your wife, you would spend your whole life trying to forget her voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
First GF. Hehe.
Buttttt ..
Here we are talking about dozens of them
Some which were fab, some good, some average, some not so good, some eeeks. The first and the last category would be easier to recall. However the majority would be the middle 3.
Actually most of my girlfriends were pretty fab. lol.

Disclaimer: None could hold a candle to TheOne® though.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd April 2008 at 23:13.
Sam Kapasi is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 23:08   #1329
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

So, Sam , You're an SQ guy,heh?
Or is it SQL?
nitrous is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 23:28   #1330
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,502
Thanked: 3,880 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAGWAN View Post
Well I guess, even in Home Audio I was never a SET + Horn person.
There are horns and there are horns. there are somethings horns do very well. The stuff that Paul Sr. designed in Hope, Arkansas worked ratrher well.

BTW, Bhawan, did I tell you that I once DIYed wooden horns using Focal 7N303s mated it to a shallow horn loaded T120K (now this was before the resurgance of wave guides) and a pair 10N501s.

Actually I dont care much for the 300B SET mated to Fostex 168 horn either (unless you only listen to baroque and solo voice). I think a good horn mated to a 30-50W Class A SS amp would be great. Tight bass with slam that could part your hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I have always wondered how people like you, Navin, B&T, JB, Gunbir, DerAlte. RoC, Hydra, Sam, LBM ... recall the details of various auditions.
I hae no records save what left in my head. That expalins many of the errors I make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Lasting impressions from deep involvement, dada! I am sure you will be able to recall the voice of your first GF
This irratates my wife to no end. I can recall the first girl who ever gave me a rainbow but I cant remember what my wife gave me for lunch barely 30 mins after eating it.
navin is offline  
Old 23rd April 2008, 14:03   #1331
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Very true Phaji. I totally agree. So when did you last heard her
This morning before I came to work (something like "krewauooouoius@!#$%~ meri baat theek se sunte bhi nahin ho aajkal"). We have been married 24 years now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Pretty OT here, but seriously, is there a method to recording the decades of hearing experience?
Oh and you'll surely be able to work out the signature. Try.
edit. Any idea how to give a line gap when typing from a cellphone.
The 'line gap' depends on the 'form' element used to accept text (SMS editor is NOT a 'text box'; it is a simple line editor). All UI elements supporting direct cursor positioning (stylus or cursor pad) will accept character input at cursor position - which means you can reposition cursor and continue typing; automatically padded with either '0Dh-0Ah's or '20h's!

No, I give up - no clue about your signature!

Memories are usually incremental over an absolute experience from a long time back - which unfortunately gets buried in the maze. The "ultimate" experience we usually recognize is always in comparison with all the other "memories". Unfortunately the comparison table is never stored - the comparison experience hones the intuition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Disclaimer: None could hold a candle to TheOne® though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I hae no records save what left in my head. That expalins many of the errors I make.
What is left in your head is the treasure that @shuvc is trying to bring into the public domain!
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
This irratates my wife to no end. I can recall the first girl who ever gave me a rainbow but I cant remember what my wife gave me for lunch barely 30 mins after eating it.
Common problem, hehehe!

Last edited by DerAlte : 23rd April 2008 at 14:04.
DerAlte is offline  
Old 26th April 2008, 02:17   #1332
BHPian
 
Tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 350
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

hello Sirji LBM
you made some very interesting points bro..and its mad that your sub hit 177Db sirji.
you also said that the 2x18 inchers wont make a difference. While that might just be true bro,
but i have a some doubts in my head bro... would love for them to be cleared by you sirji .. please help..
Wouldn't the 18's be louder sirji? After all its a question of moving air = cone surface area x excursion.
And so if excursion is equivalent or even lesser, wont the 2 x 18s still be louder due to massive increase in surface area.? (honest question bro)

Also i agree that High SPL has a lot to do with High Power handling.
But at the same time power is not the only thing that decides SPL as you youself have pointed out. So what setup would you think is louder ?
Thanks for everything sirLBM.. I just wanna clear these doubts from my head !! and so was asking.
Thanks again Sir LBM .. Really appreciate it.

Last edited by Tool : 26th April 2008 at 02:20.
Tool is offline  
Old 26th April 2008, 10:59   #1333
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
hello Sirji LBM
you made some very interesting points bro..and its mad that your sub hit 177Db sirji.
you also said that the 2x18 inchers wont make a difference. While that might just be true bro,
but i have a some doubts in my head bro... would love for them to be cleared by you sirji .. please help..
Wouldn't the 18's be louder sirji? After all its a question of moving air = cone surface area x excursion.
And so if excursion is equivalent or even lesser, wont the 2 x 18s still be louder due to massive increase in surface area.? (honest question bro)

Also i agree that High SPL has a lot to do with High Power handling.
But at the same time power is not the only thing that decides SPL as you youself have pointed out. So what setup would you think is louder ?
Thanks for everything sirLBM.. I just wanna clear these doubts from my head !! and so was asking.
Thanks again Sir LBM .. Really appreciate it.
Tool thanks for your theory lesson. But sometimes practical thing also matter. I am not going in to details here. But what I have said is no joke. If someone has done and achived 177 + what can I do. You show me a setup with two 18 inch subs (I again say two not one)which can achive that level. Enjoy googling.


This might be of some interest.

::: Official Ground Zero Team Page::: News & Pics

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th April 2008 at 01:24. Reason: This was not right : Again if SPL is not your cup of tea please leave it. You will not understand.
low_bass_makker is offline  
Old 26th April 2008, 12:08   #1334
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Were any of the db numbers posted here achieved in the presence of any t-bhpian? I ask because I've seen a few people in Mumbai (not bhpians but close friends of mine) brag about the db being pumped out by their "SPL" setups when in fact the mic was sitting 4'' above the enclosure port.

I do not dis-credit your achievment Low_Bass_Makker but a fair jury has to be present to validate/dis-credit any claims.
da_low_flyer is offline  
Old 26th April 2008, 18:32   #1335
BHPian
 
Tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 350
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

dear LBM .. if those cars can do it does not mean yours can just because u have the same sub. If you also have hit 177 + then im sorry . My bad.

AS far as i am concerned.. 2 18's done well will beat a 15 anyday

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th April 2008 at 01:26. Reason: I edited, LBm's original post with the offensive remark, so no need of a flamewar now
Tool is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My DIY Beetle Restoration Saga 71Convertible Post-War 100 5th December 2016 21:24
My Used Cars Saga ramzsys Long-Term Ownership Reviews 34 8th July 2010 20:08
Milk Spill Woes- a tragic saga ascertain Shifting gears 43 3rd May 2009 11:10
Saga Of Palio 1.6 Breakdown eclectix 1st Long-Term Ownership Reviews 151 27th May 2008 11:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:30.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks