Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd April 2008, 01:46   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAGWAN View Post
I have heard them in 2 different installs & I am not so sure if I could second that point of view;
Sir, have you heard them? Even if you have, I'm sure you have not heard them with amplification quality close to even 10% of what they actually deserve.
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:38   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
This is interesting !!

I have heard them in 2 different installs & I am not so sure if I could second that point of view;
I have not heard them but the people who have used them say they sound great.
It could be that they are not tunned to your liking or not tunned properly.

cheers
clip
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:25   #1323
BHPian

Unhappy I do not like it !!

Sir,

What can I say;
I like Illusion Carbon Components.
I think they are good sounding & great value for money products.

However, I have never been able to 'warm up' to the sound of the Illusion Horn Speakers.
Well I guess, even in Home Audio I was never a SET + Horn person. So I guess this is not my 'cup ot tea'

If LBM installs them with Steg Amplifiers & I get a chance to listen to it, yes, I shall write a report on it, but for the time being - based on my listening notes - I will not endorse this product from the Illusion Audio stables.

Sorry - B & T / LBM !!
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:40   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
based on my listening notes
Interesting.

I have always wondered how people like you, Navin, B&T, JB, Gunbir, DerAlte. RoC, Hydra, Sam, LBM ... recall the details of various auditions. Some of which you may have taken years ago.

Maybe you could start a thread and share tips on how you keep a record/log of 'auditions'. Others could add their methods/suggestions.

Last edited by shuvc : 22nd April 2008 at 15:41.
Old 22nd April 2008, 18:53   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
... I have always wondered how people ... recall the details of various auditions. Some of which you may have taken years ago.
Lasting impressions from deep involvement, dada! I am sure you will be able to recall the voice of your first GF, even if that was from years and years ago. (Even if your first one became your wife, still ... think, you will be able to relate to what I am saying)

BTW, what is the PIG... in your signature?

Last edited by DerAlte : 22nd April 2008 at 18:54.
Old 22nd April 2008, 19:45   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I am sure you will be able to recall the voice of your first GF,
Very true Phaji. I totally agree. So when did you last heard her
Old 22nd April 2008, 22:55   #1327
Senior - BHPian

First GF. Hehe.
Buttttt ..
Here we are talking about dozens of them
Some which were fab, some good, some average, some not so good, some eeeks. The first and the last category would be easier to recall. However the majority would be the middle 3.
Pretty OT here, but seriously, is there a method to recording the decades of hearing experience?

Oh and you'll surely be able to work out the signature. Try.

edit. Any idea how to give a line gap when typing from a cellphone.

Last edited by shuvc : 22nd April 2008 at 23:02.
Old 22nd April 2008, 23:00   #1328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(Even if your first one became your wife, still ... think, you will be able to relate to what I am saying)
If your first GF became your wife, you would spend your whole life trying to forget her voice.
Quote:
First GF. Hehe.
Buttttt ..
Here we are talking about dozens of them
Some which were fab, some good, some average, some not so good, some eeeks. The first and the last category would be easier to recall. However the majority would be the middle 3.
Actually most of my girlfriends were pretty fab. lol.

Disclaimer: None could hold a candle to TheOne® though.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd April 2008 at 23:13.
Old 22nd April 2008, 23:08   #1329
Senior - BHPian

So, Sam , You're an SQ guy,heh?
Or is it SQL?
Old 22nd April 2008, 23:28   #1330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well I guess, even in Home Audio I was never a SET + Horn person.
There are horns and there are horns. there are somethings horns do very well. The stuff that Paul Sr. designed in Hope, Arkansas worked ratrher well.

BTW, Bhawan, did I tell you that I once DIYed wooden horns using Focal 7N303s mated it to a shallow horn loaded T120K (now this was before the resurgance of wave guides) and a pair 10N501s.

Actually I dont care much for the 300B SET mated to Fostex 168 horn either (unless you only listen to baroque and solo voice). I think a good horn mated to a 30-50W Class A SS amp would be great. Tight bass with slam that could part your hair.

Quote:
I have always wondered how people like you, Navin, B&T, JB, Gunbir, DerAlte. RoC, Hydra, Sam, LBM ... recall the details of various auditions.
I hae no records save what left in my head. That expalins many of the errors I make.

Quote:
Lasting impressions from deep involvement, dada! I am sure you will be able to recall the voice of your first GF
This irratates my wife to no end. I can recall the first girl who ever gave me a rainbow but I cant remember what my wife gave me for lunch barely 30 mins after eating it.
Old 23rd April 2008, 14:03   #1331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Very true Phaji. I totally agree. So when did you last heard her
This morning before I came to work (something like "krewauooouoius@!#$%~ meri baat theek se sunte bhi nahin ho aajkal"). We have been married 24 years now!!!

Quote:
Pretty OT here, but seriously, is there a method to recording the decades of hearing experience?
Oh and you'll surely be able to work out the signature. Try.
edit. Any idea how to give a line gap when typing from a cellphone.
The 'line gap' depends on the 'form' element used to accept text (SMS editor is NOT a 'text box'; it is a simple line editor). All UI elements supporting direct cursor positioning (stylus or cursor pad) will accept character input at cursor position - which means you can reposition cursor and continue typing; automatically padded with either '0Dh-0Ah's or '20h's!

No, I give up - no clue about your signature!

Memories are usually incremental over an absolute experience from a long time back - which unfortunately gets buried in the maze. The "ultimate" experience we usually recognize is always in comparison with all the other "memories". Unfortunately the comparison table is never stored - the comparison experience hones the intuition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Disclaimer: None could hold a candle to TheOne® though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I hae no records save what left in my head. That expalins many of the errors I make.
What is left in your head is the treasure that @shuvc is trying to bring into the public domain!
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
This irratates my wife to no end. I can recall the first girl who ever gave me a rainbow but I cant remember what my wife gave me for lunch barely 30 mins after eating it.
Common problem, hehehe!

Last edited by DerAlte : 23rd April 2008 at 14:04.
Old 26th April 2008, 02:17   #1332
BHPian

hello Sirji LBM
you made some very interesting points bro..and its mad that your sub hit 177Db sirji.
you also said that the 2x18 inchers wont make a difference. While that might just be true bro,
but i have a some doubts in my head bro... would love for them to be cleared by you sirji .. please help..
Wouldn't the 18's be louder sirji? After all its a question of moving air = cone surface area x excursion.
And so if excursion is equivalent or even lesser, wont the 2 x 18s still be louder due to massive increase in surface area.? (honest question bro)

Also i agree that High SPL has a lot to do with High Power handling.
But at the same time power is not the only thing that decides SPL as you youself have pointed out. So what setup would you think is louder ?
Thanks for everything sirLBM.. I just wanna clear these doubts from my head !! and so was asking.
Thanks again Sir LBM .. Really appreciate it.

Last edited by Tool : 26th April 2008 at 02:20.
Old 26th April 2008, 10:59   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
hello Sirji LBM
you made some very interesting points bro..and its mad that your sub hit 177Db sirji.
you also said that the 2x18 inchers wont make a difference. While that might just be true bro,
but i have a some doubts in my head bro... would love for them to be cleared by you sirji .. please help..
Wouldn't the 18's be louder sirji? After all its a question of moving air = cone surface area x excursion.
And so if excursion is equivalent or even lesser, wont the 2 x 18s still be louder due to massive increase in surface area.? (honest question bro)

Also i agree that High SPL has a lot to do with High Power handling.
But at the same time power is not the only thing that decides SPL as you youself have pointed out. So what setup would you think is louder ?
Thanks for everything sirLBM.. I just wanna clear these doubts from my head !! and so was asking.
Thanks again Sir LBM .. Really appreciate it.
Tool thanks for your theory lesson. But sometimes practical thing also matter. I am not going in to details here. But what I have said is no joke. If someone has done and achived 177 + what can I do. You show me a setup with two 18 inch subs (I again say two not one)which can achive that level. Enjoy googling.

This might be of some interest.

::: Official Ground Zero Team Page::: News & Pics

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th April 2008 at 01:24. Reason: This was not right : Again if SPL is not your cup of tea please leave it. You will not understand.
Old 26th April 2008, 12:08   #1334

Were any of the db numbers posted here achieved in the presence of any t-bhpian? I ask because I've seen a few people in Mumbai (not bhpians but close friends of mine) brag about the db being pumped out by their "SPL" setups when in fact the mic was sitting 4'' above the enclosure port.

I do not dis-credit your achievment Low_Bass_Makker but a fair jury has to be present to validate/dis-credit any claims.
Old 26th April 2008, 18:32   #1335
BHPian

dear LBM .. if those cars can do it does not mean yours can just because u have the same sub. If you also have hit 177 + then im sorry . My bad.

AS far as i am concerned.. 2 18's done well will beat a 15 anyday

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th April 2008 at 01:26. Reason: I edited, LBm's original post with the offensive remark, so no need of a flamewar now
Closed Thread