Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2006, 05:02   #1
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOM
Posts: 429
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Dealer-installed music system?

I intend buying a new car and wish to have a good quality music system installed. What might be some of my choices and is it recommended to have it done through the dealer or shop around outside.
I reside in Mumbai.

Last edited by luvjascha : 26th May 2006 at 05:03.
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 09:55   #2
BANNED
 
revharder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 460
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

dealers and companies always marks their audio systems quite overpriced.

it is better to avoid buying it from them.
get it fixed from outside and you have lots of choices and yes, it won't harm ur warranty either.

one way to guess the actual cost of audio system is to ask them to deduct the price they were quoting for audio system, from the cost of car!!

you'll be surprised to know that they'll give you the benefit for only the half-cost of stereo!

so move out of dealership for audio systems.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 12:52   #3
BHPian
 
prince85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 967
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
I intend buying a new car and wish to have a good quality music system installed. What might be some of my choices and is it recommended to have it done through the dealer or shop around outside.
I reside in Mumbai.
There is always the safer option of buying your music system from outside and install it at the dealership before taking delivery of your car. In this way you have a wide range of music systems to choose from and also you get it at the right price and to top it all, your warranty wont get void.

For more info on car audio systems, why don't you check out the ICE section of team-bhp. The audio gurus there will be happy to help you for sure.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 26th May 2006 at 12:54.
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 12:55   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
karthik247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR, HYD
Posts: 2,708
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

No...absolutely. Over priced is one thing, and they only offer u crappy models.

Instead just head out into the market, experiment with the speakers, HU's etc..pick the one u like and get it installed by the dealer(if he says u'll lose ur warranty or sumtin), or get it installed from where u got the stuff.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 15:53   #5
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOM
Posts: 429
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
There is always the safer option of buying your music system from outside and install it at the dealership before taking delivery of your car. In this way you have a wide range of music systems to choose from and also you get it at the right price and to top it all, your warranty wont get void.

For more info on car audio systems, why don't you check out the ICE section of team-bhp. The audio gurus there will be happy to help you for sure.

Cheers
Prince85,

I'm kinda new to the forum; how can I contact the audio gurus for their comments and suggestions?
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 15:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
Prince85,

I'm kinda new to the forum; how can I contact the audio gurus for their comments and suggestions?
All you need to do is ask out aloud.

So my friend, I haven't said anything, because the advice offered is correct.
If you are buying an audio system from the car dealer, i suggest you first find out the prices of the products from the car accessories market and go there armed with that information.
That said, not all car dealers are thieves. Some are even authorised dealers for car accessories.
First decide what you want in your car. This can be done on this forum if we know, what music you like, what car you are buying and what is your budget.
After that i suggest you go into the nearest car accessory market and get prices of the stuf YOU want. Then if your car dealer is willing to supply you what YOU want at the correct price, that's fine. otherwise buy the car and drive to the shop that can give you what you want and fit it correctly with a warranty.
Thats how it is.

So... now that you've started this thread, answer the preliminary questions first, so we can first start narrowing down some systems.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 26th May 2006 at 16:02.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 04:22   #7
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOM
Posts: 429
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
All you need to do is ask out aloud.

So my friend, I haven't said anything, because the advice offered is correct.
If you are buying an audio system from the car dealer, i suggest you first find out the prices of the products from the car accessories market and go there armed with that information.
That said, not all car dealers are thieves. Some are even authorised dealers for car accessories.
First decide what you want in your car. This can be done on this forum if we know, what music you like, what car you are buying and what is your budget.
After that i suggest you go into the nearest car accessory market and get prices of the stuf YOU want. Then if your car dealer is willing to supply you what YOU want at the correct price, that's fine. otherwise buy the car and drive to the shop that can give you what you want and fit it correctly with a warranty.
Thats how it is.

So... now that you've started this thread, answer the preliminary questions first, so we can first start narrowing down some systems.
Thanks Sam,

I am looking to buy an Indica Xeta. I simply enjoy listening to music whilst driving..sort of a de-stresser. Having said that, I'd like the sound quality to be crisp and clear. Depending on the mood, I typically listen to classic rock for the most part and soft rock at times. I'm not even keen on getting the 6-CD changer system; just a good music system with a single-CD player will work!!!
Because I am not aware of the brands available in the market, I really haven't decided on my budget yet; however, at this point, I want to say, somewhere in the range of 15-18K
What do you think about the Blaupunkt?
I reside in Mumbai and if any of you guys have dealt with and are aware of reliable places that deal in car music systems, please advise.

Last edited by luvjascha : 27th May 2006 at 04:31.
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 13:57   #8
BHPian
 
rsjaurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Batala
Posts: 775
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
Thanks Sam,..........................Because I am not aware of the brands available in the market, I really haven't decided on my budget yet; however, at this point, I want to say, somewhere in the range of 15-18K
What do you think about the Blaupunkt?
I reside in Mumbai and if any of you guys have dealt with and are aware of reliable places that deal in car music systems, please advise.
Pio HU 7-8k
front JBLcompo spk 6.5" 5-6k
rear JBL 6x9" 3-4k if u r not going for subw later.
wiring & install 2k.

If u can add 4-5k more,add sony 504 amplifier to power all 4 spk.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 12:13   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

HU: 8-9K Blaupunkt, Sony or Pioneer (make sure you get a Bill and Warranty)
Speakers: 6K for front components and a bit liess than 5K for rear 6x9 (since you are not adding a sub) JBL GTO series, Blaupunkt GT series, and Alpine SPS and SPE series might fit your budget.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installed! Self Parking System in Jetta. EDIT: More videos on page 2 Tanveer_2558 Modifications & Accessories 28 3rd February 2016 15:04
Dealer refusing to do alignment of tyres installed outside? onlinestuffa Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 6 23rd December 2013 15:10
*Installed* - Reverse Parking System on Our Toyota Etios parsh Modifications & Accessories 26 14th May 2012 18:12
Music System for the NHC Neel In-Car Entertainment 8 13th May 2004 10:48
music system for under 20K manticore In-Car Entertainment 32 10th May 2004 20:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks