Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 17th May 2008, 15:18   #1516
BHPian

And SQ-wise which is better ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Ignoring the sound differences, the Blau and the JBL would stand out with their A.S.S.
Not too much, since one rarely reaches peak power levels.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 16:49   #1517
BHPian

Quote:
Huh?

Sure, the HU could drive it no doubt, but the sub will just flutter it's eyelashes at you, without producing any sound! An amp is a must for driving a sub.

Apart from a Mono, you could think of a 4-channel amp . Ideally at GTO 75.4 if you can get it, otherwise:
- JBL A604 or
- Blaupunkt GTA4 Mark II Special or
- Alpine 8401 or
- Pioneer 5300 (?)
This would cost you roughly 6K. Connect 2 channels to the front components, and bridge the other 2 to drive the sub.

Your boot space needs would be a tough constraint. A few unconventional possibilities:
* (Search for a thread by Gunbir in the SO-SO section; I think he did it in a Santro) Mount the sub facing up on cover of the spare wheel, replacing the thin cardboard by a 1" thick MDF [Not sure if it can be done in the Swift - possible only if the spare wheel is kept with the outer face down, so that the inner hollow can accommodate the sub magnet and frame]
* Construct a shallow fibre-glass box on one side of the boot, sub facing the other side (there is a thread in which Navin's Octavia pictures are shown)
* Use a small sub below the front passenger seat (search for the threads with pics)
Otherwise, you could put in a conventional box or tube with removable terminals, so that you could remove it whenever you are going on a trip.
Thanks DerAlte,

Yeah I agree with you on the Amp part, to think of a sub with out an amp. But the mounting would have to be customized keeping in mind the changes. The option 1 for mouting the woofer inside the spare wheel is not fessaible as I need to remove the jack post to place my standard alloy wheel (ZXi), upside down. And I don't want even my passenger to receive the thuds from the woofer placed below him. The best option would be to have the tube which can have the removable terminals. Another about placing a 10 inch open air type woofer from Pioneer on the Parcel tray(but not sure whether it can accomodate).

Another question is what is the difference between JBL CS2165 and JBL GTO637 with respect to SQ and Power. It seems that the installer has placed CS2165 on the rear side thats why I may not be getting a good feel at the rear (mounted on door). It can be issue with the HU (Kenwood) not able to drive that much.

Thanks for screwing my budget and anyhow I will take your advice while going for the final one.

Rajneesh
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 19:32   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
And SQ-wise which is better ?
Difficult to answer that question, if you put it that way. The difference is not in Sound Quality, but sound signature. If you ignore that, there is really not much to differentiate. It is always better to audition them yourself. Sound Signature was best described by someone here as "the difference between meri Maa ki daal, and teri Maa ki daal"
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 19:37   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
... Another question is what is the difference between JBL CS2165 and JBL GTO637 with respect to SQ and Power. ...
The CS is one series lower than the GTO, apparently. But here, this has nothing to do really. If you are listening from the driver's seat, the rear fill should be barely audible to you anyhow. It is only meant for rear seat passengers.
Quote:
Thanks for screwing my budget and anyhow ...
You are most welcome - we keep up traditions on T-BHP!
Old 18th May 2008, 23:16   #1520
BHPian

Hi DerAlte and TBHP Gurus,

After taking the advice from deralte and couldn't resist and had to decide. So went to nearest MediaMart (being in Stockholm Sweden), I had a demo version already plugged on the display. I was checking the two amps put on display and suggested JBL A604A and Pioneer 5300 T. The JBL A604A was connected to a sealed JBL woofer (I couldn't find out the model no) and the the Pioneer 5300 T is connected to one of the Pioneer Woofers ( TS-W307, Impedance not know). Both the setups were connected in the Bridgeable mode with only one woofer attached and a pair of speakers attached to HU. Though both the setups impressed me, even with lots of disturbances from the showroom speakers. I am thinking to put the Pioneer combination, but whether that combination will be available in India. Hope to get and the prices front, I think the Pioneer 5300 amp should cost me somewhere 6K (Cost in Sweden 1990kroners = Rs. 13930) and the Woofer another 6 to 8K and another 3K for high quality cables. I am just worried about the installation. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the power connections. The wires were nearly 5mm thick in diameter, and if I get it done by a road side accessories shop, then I am going to screw my cars electricals. I have to be very careful in that case, can any body suggest were I can get the stuff done in Hyderabad. I want to connect my Pioneer 6050U to the Amp using the third set of RCA connectors in a bridge manner and connected to this subwoofer. Please suggest me if I can have this setup in Swift without any damping part included. I will not be using the highest power of Amp anyhow.

Can you please suggest me what should be the famous brands used in interconnects, such as RCA cables from HU to AMP and then the connections to the speaker, cost of them and a place in hyderabad wher I can get.
Please guide me..., Hope I will make up this setup atlast.
Old 19th May 2008, 00:34   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Deralte,

Which of these amps would you recommend ? Im looking for one and am completely confused.

Another question. The Kenwood 8401 is 50x4 watts and the other two are 60x4, will this make a difference ?
well im running a Kenwood 8401
the manual and box say its a 60*4 rms amp
i would feel cheated if it is 50*4 as you say
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 00:47   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sound Signature was best described by someone here as "the difference between meri Maa ki daal, and teri Maa ki daal"

That would be Sam Bhai
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 10:47   #1523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... So went to nearest MediaMart (being in Stockholm Sweden), ...
Prices seem to be unusually high at MediaMarkt Stockholm (where in Stockholm is it?)! Are you sure about the prices? Pio combo sounding better than the JBL combo? No one has experienced that on TBHP. Depends on the HU setting also - you should have set everything to flat on the HU before listening. Yes, Pio would be cheaper in India, but without b&w.

Connectors: Neutrik, Made in Germany! You should be able to pick it up from MediaMarkt, along with some good RCA and speaker cables. Any installer with a decent crimping tool should be able to do a decent job, don't worry.

@LBM - which cables (RCA, speakers, sub) are you using?
Old 19th May 2008, 11:15   #1524
BHPian

Quote:
Prices seem to be unusually high at MediaMarkt Stockholm (where in Stockholm is it?)! Are you sure about the prices?
It is very near to the Skarholmen metro station. I think Europe is anyhow costlier. Yeah pretty uch sure otherwise I would have to carried it from here.

Quote:
Pio combo sounding better than the JBL combo? No one has experienced that on TBHP.
I never meant that, because I couldn't fiddle much with the HU as they were not the regular models. I said, I would go with the Pioneer as the combination was known to me and it be a 2 channel which I wanted. I didn't knew which subwoofer they used for the JBL, and the guy was not able to help me much (May be I was not a potential customer for him). I know the capabilities of JBL, thats why I have JBL comps and coaxials in my car. And the price in India was one more factor which compiled me to go for this combination. If I find that the prices are same then I will go with JBL. I thought the difference would be more than 3K which I can utilise on good et of cables.
Old 19th May 2008, 12:20   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@LBM - which cables (RCA, speakers, sub) are you using?
Hmm

I am using cocktail of wires right now but will be changing them in due course of time.

Power cable.

I am right now using Audison 4 AWG (19mmsq each) two wires running parllel from battery to DIY distributer block. After that there is Finolex 0 AWG 50 mmsq for the Steg 2.04 and left over Audison and Finolex 4 AWG for the rest two amps.

I would be putting now 0/3 AWG (75 mmsq) from the battery to DIY DB. After that would be using the same 0 AWG for the Steg 2.04 and new 4 AWG for the rest two amps or if Ajay Bhai is kind enough to throw away some power cables I would use them.

Speaker Cable

Right now it is Acoustic Research. But will be changing to complete Illiusion Speaker cable. Very soon.

Woofer Cable

It came attached to the sub.

RCA

I am using Supra from the HU to the Alpine Processor. And then Sommer from PXA to all the amps. All the termination is done with Neutrik Plugs.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 13:31   #1526
BHPian

Thanks for all your support, i will go ahead with GTO607c, My sales personnel informed me that VDi version has only 5" speaker provision in front door
BTW, heard that Maruti has increased the price of the swift????, I called BMEL but they don’t know the exact price hike details but they confirmed me that there is a hike in price, they still waiting for the final confirmation from MUL, does any one has any idea?
I couldn’t find press release from MUL site
vvvinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 13:57   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I didn't knew which subwoofer they used for the JBL, ...
Read up in the SO-SO and Product sections - you will get an idea which JBL sub to use - should cost you about the same as the Pio, +/-.

I would recommend that you go for the 4-channel A604 (connect the front components to 2 channels), and buy the cables and connectors from MM. The improvement in sound quality would be significant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
...RCA

I am using Supra from the HU to the Alpine Processor. And then Sommer from PXA to all the amps. All the termination is done with Neutrik Plugs.
There you go - you should be able to get Supra/Sommer coaxial cables and Neutrik connectors. Ask their suggestion for a good brand of speaker cable.
Old 19th May 2008, 21:11   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvinod View Post
Thanks for all your support, i will go ahead with GTO607c, My sales personnel informed me that VDi version has only 5" speaker provision in front door
BTW, heard that Maruti has increased the price of the swift????, I called BMEL but they don’t know the exact price hike details but they confirmed me that there is a hike in price, they still waiting for the final confirmation from MUL, does any one has any idea?
I couldn’t find press release from MUL site

I read the bottom running line on a news channel which mentioned Swift prices will be increased by 18000/- and Alto by 1500/- rest i dont remember...
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 02:53   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
There you go - you should be able to get Supra/Sommer coaxial cables and Neutrik connectors. Ask their suggestion for a good brand of speaker cable.
I don't remember which one I saw but the one I remember is BOSCHMANN which will cost me around 2100 INR. It contains one set of RCA cables, 1.5mm2 of Speaker cable, 8.5mm2 of Power cable along with the fuse holder and fuse and some tie wraps. Please suggest me if this is a good set.
Old 20th May 2008, 09:02   #1530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't remember which one I saw but the one I remember is BOSCHMANN which will cost me around 2100 INR. It contains one set of RCA cables, 1.5mm2 of Speaker cable, 8.5mm2 of Power cable along with the fuse holder and fuse and some tie wraps. Please suggest me if this is a good set.
No, that sounds like the Boss cables available in India. Sommer, Supra, Neutrik etc. will not come as a set, but as individual cables and components that have to be joined together to make RCA cables. If not available in MediaMarkt, ask them where you can get them in Stockholm.

Power cable can be any of the well known Indian brands - Finolex, Havell, L&T etc. Will cost only a couple of hundred INR.