Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th May 2008, 15:46   #1546
BHPian

Iam thinking of going in for JBL GTO301.and getting JBL 937 co axial and a new pair of components.Maybe the JBL 607.Will this make a good setup???
garyjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 09:34   #1547
BHPian

2 channels of the Pio amp are connected to the subwoofer, the other 2 channels to the front components.The ovals are powered by the HU.I guess the shabby work of the installers damaged it.After seeing some of the installations in here i understood that mine was a very bad job done.I was unaware of this forum when i did it.So please help.....
Old 29th May 2008, 11:18   #1548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjacob View Post
Even though i have the subwoofer iam not getting that punch.
Amplifier-Pioneer GM4000F(300 RMS)
Sub woofer-Jbl 1202d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* Swift takes 6.5" components. Why did you put 5.25" components in front?
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjacob View Post
2 channels of the Pio amp are connected to the subwoofer, the other 2 channels to the front components.
From your symptoms I assume you are getting deep bass but not the midbass punch. Right?

If this is your problem please check the install of the 6x9 and 5/6" components. There should not be any air gaps around the woofers frame as this will lead to bass cancellation.

Also what are the setting on the amp. By this we mean what are the filter and bass boost settings?

Last edited by navin : 29th May 2008 at 11:28.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 11:56   #1549
BHPian

Originally Posted by DerAlte
* Swift takes 6.5" components. Why did you put 5.25" components in front?

Had these in my previous car.So removed from that and installed in my new swift.

Old 29th May 2008, 15:22   #1550
BHPian

@gary - Pioneer GM-400F is 4 x 45 W or 2 x 100 W (4 ohm). See this link
Pioneer GM-4000F - www.pioneer.co.uk
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 15:44   #1551
BHPian

oh ok....So what do u suggest??Should i change my amp?iam ready to change anything other than the HU.Iam not very rich to spend lakhs of currency on ice.In short i can change things in a limited budget. So all your valuable suggestions are welcome.
Old 1st June 2008, 14:09   #1552
BHPian

how do i check that???i found out that the lpf and the hpf of both the channels are put to OFF mode.Iam illiterate abt these.can u help me out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
From your symptoms I assume you are getting deep bass but not the midbass punch. Right?

If this is your problem please check the install of the 6x9 and 5/6" components. There should not be any air gaps around the woofers frame as this will lead to bass cancellation.

Also what are the setting on the amp. By this we mean what are the filter and bass boost settings?
Old 1st June 2008, 17:13   #1553
Senior - BHPian

No, the question is about the tone settings, Bass, Treble, Equalizer, etc.

Not the LPF/HPF - it is not a big problem that they are off. LPF is meant for the signal going to the sub, so that the sub doesn't have to reproduce frequencies it is inefficient at. HPF is for the mid-bass (normally; in some systems there is another HPF for the tweeters) - to limit the low bass that the mid-bass can reproduce.

You could try the LPF and HPF - set both at 80Hz to see if the mid-bass improves. Set all tone controls to 0, equalizer to flat (no Pop, Rock etc.) and then check.

To check for leakage around the mounting ring, check with either a wet finger (should feel cooler at the place of leakage) or chalk powder / flour (should get blown off).

Last edited by DerAlte : 1st June 2008 at 17:22.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 19:19   #1554
Senior - BHPian

could it be inverted phase for the midbasses ?

turn off the sub and turn down the treble. change fader to 100% fronts, and balance to 100% right. then change balance to 100% gradually. the bass should be max when the balance is 0. similarly, do this for the rears. once the fronts and rears are in phase , then change fader from front to rear , and the same should happen ( bass should increase when you go from front to back, not decrease and then increase)

Last edited by greenhorn : 1st June 2008 at 19:22.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 18:04   #1555

Default Please help me with the prices GURUUUUUSSSS!!!!!!!

Vehicle:SWIFT diesel
My Budget:50K(Including Damping)
Song Preferences:Safri Duo,Linkin Park,Westlife,System of Down,Hindi Gazals etc....
Other Preferences:If possible, boot space should be saved.
I) I want to know the price and brand names of the following things for a good ICE setup:
1) fronts
2) rears
3) speaker amp
4) sub woofer
5) sub amp
6) Cables
7) Damping
8) Wiring Kit
9) RCA Kit
11) Y-Cable
12)cd/dvd head unit with minimum 3-pre outs

II) Which is good for tight bass?(sub woofer or bass tube)?

Thanks,
Arun
arunjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 12:50   #1556
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
could it be inverted phase for the midbasses ?
yes but remember phase is relaive you need 2 midbasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunjp View Post
Vehicle:SWIFT diesel
My Budget:50K(Including Damping)
II) Which is good for tight bass?(sub woofer or bass tube)?
a subwoofer in a well mad sealed box will offer tigher bass than most bass tubes.

I had posted this earlier for a Fabia. the same can hold true for your Swift.

Budget 5K to damp the front doors well. This is where you sit afterall.

Budget 8K for 6" components for the front: Infinty Reference, Blaupunkt Thx/ODx, etc...

Budget 15K for 2 4 ch. amps from Kenwood, JBL, Pioneer, or Blaupunkt. One amp will feed the front and rear speakers, the other will feed the 2 subs (bridged).

Budget 12K for 2 x 10" (8" are too small)subs from JBL etc.. and a 2 cu. ft. box. One option for this box is to make a trapezoid about 36-39" wide so it streches across the width of the car behind the rear seat but is only about 6" deep (deeper at the base, but less deep at the top). There are many such install pics on the internet using 10, 12 and 15" woofers.

Budget 5K for 5-6" rear coax speakers this can be saved if the OEM front speakers can be used for rear fill.

Budget 6K for wires and install.

If you prefer a single good 12" sub (Rs. 8K with box) to 2 10" (Rs. 12K per pair with box) subs then you need to replace one 4 ch. amp (7K) with a monoblock (10K).
Old 11th June 2008, 18:06   #1557

Default Gurus Please help me fast!!!!

Navin bhai thanks for your suggestions. But I want a specific setup with its brand name and price because I never heard a good ICE setup of the brands JBL,Alpine,Infinity,Pioneer,Kicker etc.... So guru's please help me fast ( that is: which brand is good for HU and its price,which brand is good for subwoofer and its price etc etc)
arunjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 23:30   #1558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunjp View Post
which brand is good for HU and its price,which brand is good for subwoofer and its price etc etc)
HU: Pio, JVC, Alpine, Blaupunkt, Kenwood, etc..
Speakers: JBL/Infinity, Illusion, Blaupunkt Thx/Odx, etc..
Amps: Kenwood, Pioneer, JBL, Blaupunkt, etc...

in the end there is no substitute for listening. talk to friends and get to listen to their systems. talk to dealers. tell them that if they are installing a nice system to call yo can maybe if you are free you'll drop in for a listen. tell them what you are looking for and what you are interested in. many dealers will cooperate if approached honestly.

some dealers even know about TBHP. Use it as a reference.
Old 17th June 2008, 00:06   #1559
BHPian

Default ICE Upgrade

Hi Audio Guru's (LBM, DerAlte, Navinji, SAM, B&T, gunbir and TBHP guys from Hyderabad),
The end of long wait for upgrading my Swift's ICE is drawing closer, I would like to ask you guru's to please advice me on some of the doubts I have. I have decided on the following configuration and after the final audition of the same can go for it to close and confirm the deal.

Expected Date of Installation : 2nd Week of July.
Place of Installation : Sprocket Hyderabad.
Budget for Upgrade: 50K (Excluding the HU) (Sam help:-) discounts please, budget is already screwed up, started at 15K, thanks to the gurus).

Configuration:
HU: Pioneer DEH6050UB (Already decided a kind of because of USB and Ipod, and that too from the rear side)
Front Compos : JBL GTO 607c (Already in place)
Rear Fills: JBL GTO 637 (Already in place)
Amp for Speakers : JBL GTO 1004 (To drive front and rear fills)
Amp for Sub : JBL GTO 3501 (Mono block)
Sub : GTO 1204BR (Based on availability) or GT-5 1204BR (As suggested by Sam)
Interlink : Monster 3 pairs preferably XLN series. (Can anyone confirm that we can get them at Sprocket)
Amp wiring : Monster or Audision based on availability.(which one is better?)
Damping: Budgeted but I don't know whether they can do that in Sprocket.
So the doubts from the point of installations are:
1. My installation currently has the components crossovers inside the door panels, Should I move it under the dashboard next to the doors. I think any premium brand of double sided tape would be put to shame when my wife bangs the door. So I really hope that it is going to fall of. I think it has happened and I let it that way because I had the upgrade of ICE at that time. Another point would be can I route the speaker and tweeter (fixed on the door panel) cables through the cable harness. I don't won't to disturb the original cable which came with my car. Since if I want to sell it in future then I can just do with it. In that case how do you route the cables from the Amplifier to the speakers. Should I cut the orginials at the HU and then connect the speaker wires from the Amplifier there. Should I route the cables to each individual door directly and try to push them through the cable harness.

2. Should we mount a additional mdf ring under the components, I don't remember well how was my components where fixed in my swift. I think with the addition to Amp, it becomes mandatory to have them.

3. What should be the appropriate setting on the crossover. I often seen that there is a switch which can change the dB levels mostly 0dB or 3dB. What this can be used for? Of course it is gain that is controlled by I wanted to know whether it has any relationship with crossover frequecy settings.

4. What electricals should I use for connecting these Amps, I think I need to connect 4AWG cable from the battery to the distribution box and then use 8AWG cables for the amps. Can I get these sets of cables in Audision or monsters?

5. I want to fix both my amps to be placed under the front seats. I am just not sure whether GTO1004 can be accomodated. I think some of the fellow BHPians have already placed there JBL GTO 75.4 under the seats which is larger compared to 1004.

6. Does the GTO3501 includes the Remote level controller comes as a standard equipement? I would like to have one to increase/decrease the bass levels according to my co-passengers liking. Sam help !!!!

7. Which speaker cables should I use to connect my speakers and sub.

8. Where can I get the damping material from in Hyderabad. Which are the best VFM brands. I won't be listening loud enough, all this setup is just for the SQ and Crisp sound which I am interested in.

So please help me
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 01:09   #1560
BHPian

Vrr - I am not a guru and my post is based on my DIY installation/upgrade on my swift. I can tell you some of my experiences, though I am sure our gurus will come with solutions for you.

You dont need to cut the OE wiring. You can unplug the existing connector, hang it (tape it to door body), run the new cable through the holes/cavities provided (I have used the hole on the inner side of the body panel where door hinges fixed, just below the one through which the main wiring pack goes). You can find a unused cavity/hole sealed with a rubber bush. Then you can either get speaker connectors or solder the bare wire end to speakers.

I have used 16AWG OFC speaker cable (Illusion)

I have damped the front doors with Noisekill. It took 20 sq ft (10 sq ft on each door) for a bare minimum install. It is priced 150 per sq ft. No matter SPL or SQ, damping will give you a good output.

Last edited by redfire : 17th June 2008 at 01:15.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote