Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th June 2008, 23:02   #1576
BHPian

Hi,
I just ICEd my 2 day old Swift today. At the dealership, for the rear speakers, i had the option of either JBL GTO series ovals or ovals from a brand called Kicker. I'd never heard of this in any car or read about on T-BHP, so i was a little apprehensive.
But the dealer was saying that they're better than JBL's. And i thought he was just exaggerating to make a better sale (they were about JBL's cost + 2k).
So he suggested that he'll install the HU and the front speakers. The rear
speakers he offered to install both so that i can try them out and compare with the JBLs and i can take whichever i want. And i was suprised, but the kicker actually sounded better (atleast to my untrained ears, might be mistaken). No jarring even at higher volumes. Anyone heard of this brand? reviews?
paranoidAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 02:32   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidAndroid View Post
But the dealer was saying that they're better than JBL's. And i thought he was just exaggerating to make a better sale (they were about JBL's cost + 2k).
You heard a product from a higher price segment, nearly 50% more expensive than the JBL. Of course, no one brand is the end all of audio. But generally (again, not always) in any such a comparison, the more expensive product may sound better.

You know what they say... always compare an apple to an apple... not to a PC
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 20:16   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Your selection of equipment is perfect.
Thanks DerAlte and Rider, I have few more doubts,

1. Should I go for Pioneer 6050 or Alpine? My budget is around 15k with B/W.

2. For the that kind of equipment I am just planning to damp the front and boot initially, later the rear (as the coaxials are running from Amp too). Should I damp the spare wheel well too? Or is it fine just to damp the hatch door.

3. Since I own Swift ZXi it came with the tray at rear, and since my coaxials are mounted at stock location, what should I do to stop the rattling from this tray. As the sub would be places just under it facing the door, I expect that it will jump everytime the sub gives it a push. I am not that kind of a boomy person. So how can I control the rear tray from getting into the action

Please advice as I am getting closer to the installation day...
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 01:31   #1579
Senior - BHPian

go in for the alpine, its better HU, but then since you are abroad i surely suggest getting one from there, it will cost you lesser or rather you will be able to buy a HU with more features for the same price.

check out the online stores, our fellow team-bhpian maverick236 recently got his alpine 9886 from abroad for 14K so you might as well get that or the 9887 which is one of the latest! i think others can shed some light on the same and also search the forum for the same.

just surf around to find the sites selling the HUs!

well as far as the tray is concerned its not that big of a issue we can just remove it or replace it with a MDF tray so the problem is solved!

well the damping the rear of the car is a good idea too, if you can sponsor it, i had a similar set up in my swift D but then changed it now, AFAIK damping it is good but it can do with only the rear door being damped.

happy icing.

Last edited by rider60 : 30th June 2008 at 01:39.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 03:54   #1580
BHPian

Thanks Rider, Since I am in Sweden (stockholm) and was checking the prices of the ICE over a period of time now, I found that Europe is not the place to buy electronics. With the rupee getting weaker and weaker I found that most of the electronics are cheaper in India. I checked the price of Alpine 9887 and it is around 24K if I get the Tax Free. So I think I can take a decision after coming back to India.

On the tray part, can I retain the original, as I don't want to replace it with MDF tray. And removing it doesn't make sense as I loose a lot of space where my wife tucks in small things when we go for a drive. I will try to explore some more alternatives on this.
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 09:57   #1581
BHPian

Stockholm is not the best place to buy ICE.. although they have soem fantastic home audio stuff. I would avoid buying anything in europe as prices are much lower in India. 9887 retails for abt 22K in india ( i think ).
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 10:25   #1582
BHPian

In fact there a 9887 for sale in teh clasified section of the section. Its a good bargain IMO.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/696/cat/18
Old 30th June 2008, 11:02   #1583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
In fact there a 9887 for sale in teh clasified section of the section. Its a good bargain IMO.
After Bhawan's experience with the 9887 I'd be a bit wary. Still it is has TA (which the 9886 does not).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 11:13   #1584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
... On the tray part, can I retain the original, as I don't want to replace it with MDF tray ...
No, you don't have to replace the original tray.

1. Treat the underside of the tray with a layer of Fiber-glass stuck with resin. You can do it yourself if you cannot get anyone - ask Navin to give you instructions. This will make the tray stiff
2. Add a stiffener - screw on a steel L-channel across the length of the tray on or near the seat-side edge
3. Use rubber strips on the shorter edges of the tray wherever you feel the tray is not tightly sitting
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 11:42   #1585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
After Bhawan's experience with the 9887 I'd be a bit wary. Still it is has TA (which the 9886 does not).
Navin you and Mr B are right about the 9887. Not my fav HU . Having it in my car for a week , lets say Im not a big fan. But if one is gettign one second hand it could be good VFm .Especially if sees how better options are priced at. For instance the next best thing of one compares to say a KCD 01 goes for 700-800 USD. HX D2 near to 900-1000 USD. So in the 20K bracket the 9887 would be a good buy. The earlier Alpines sound better but then they I dont think they have the modern features if one is looking for TA etc.
Old 30th June 2008, 13:21   #1586
BHPian

Hi Gurus,

Was wondering if a Kenwood 5-band EQ (4042A) can solve most of the problems with the Swift Dzire OEM HU. Well it solves the following:

1. 1 RCA preout to 3 RCA (with separate controls)
2. 5-Band EQ (OEM HU has only bass/treble)
3. Sub frequency and level control.

In future I would not like to land up changing the OEM HU (for lack of SQ, 1 rca and almost non-existent sound modulation) and then the Kenwood EQ becomes useless (almost)

Please help me decide. Full review and product details are here:

Kenwood KGC-4042A Equalizer at Crutchfield.com
ragzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 14:22   #1587
BHPian

Smile I have not used mine - much !

I installed my 9887 in the RS.

Am not happy with it.

Have not used it.

I am ready to sell it off.

I have the original box et all.

Imported from USA direct - no dealer etc.

I want to sell it.

If any one wants it, please do let me know.

18/- K should be good.
Thanks.
BHAGWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 14:45   #1588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAGWAN View Post
I
If any one wants it, please do let me know.
18/- K should be good.
Thanks.
Bhagwan, why not put it in Marketplace. I believe there is one more 9887 in Marketplace. Alpine seems to have lost the plot with the 9887.
Old 30th June 2008, 16:04   #1589
BHPian

I am in 2 minds to sell it.
That is why I have not put it there.
If this goes, I will have to spend a lot more to get the Eclipse 7200 from PTC. That is sending jitters down my spine.

If I get a buyer, I sure will knock this out...
BHAGWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 16:13   #1590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
The earlier Alpines sound better but then they I dont think they have the modern features if one is looking for TA etc.
The 9835 and 9833 had TA for the sub atleast.