Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 7th December 2006, 15:27   #166
BHPian

@speedzak and Sam:

Thanks for the inputs and can you please let me know the tentative price range for the panasonic 5301 model. I live in Koramangala and there is a Panasonic showroom too here and that would be more accessible than the lavelle road one.

Isnt pioneer 6850 priced arnd 9K a decent bet if USB headunits are hard to get. Have already called up Thouqeer of Auto Fusion to chk for USB headunits.

Since the suggestions are to go for a 4 channel amp, i will try to push/coax him for a pio amp atleast.

Will chk on the Hertz if the budget works out or else JBL would do i suppose.

One more question.

If feasible can you please let me know an economical Sub which could use the power from the 4 channel amp. let me know the price + enclosure.

Is there an active bass tube that sells relatively cheap say 6 to 7 K. In this case i am looking at making the head unit to drive the front comps and rear coax.

Please note that budget is a constraint and more economical more merrier my friend would be.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 15:57   #167
BANNED

Talking Here're the answers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Thanks for the inputs and can you please let me know the tentative price range for the panasonic 5301 model. I live in Koramangala and there is a Panasonic showroom too here and that would be more accessible than the lavelle road one.
It sells around 9k with bill & warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
Isnt pioneer 6850 priced arnd 9K a decent bet if USB headunits are hard to get.
That's grey!! With B&W it will be 17k!!!
Quote:
Since the suggestions are to go for a 4 channel amp, i will try to push/coax him for a pio amp atleast.
Full support bro!!
Quote:
Will chk on the Hertz if the budget works out or else JBL would do i suppose.
Prepare!! Hertz will be a bit expensive!!
Quote:
One more question.
If feasible can you please let me know an economical Sub which could use the power from the 4 channel amp. let me know the price + enclosure.
Get a JBL CS1204B sealed enclosure Sub!
Quote:
Is there an active bass tube that sells relatively cheap say 6 to 7 K. In this case i am looking at making the head unit to drive the front comps and rear coax.
There's JBL 10" Bass tubes selling for this price!
Quote:
Please note that budget is a constraint and more economical more merrier my friend would be.
It's same for everybody!!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 16:22   #168
Senior - BHPian

speedzak the JBL 12 inch tube is for 6500 and the 10 inch is for 5000.so muni can easily go in for the 12 inch one. CS1204T
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 16:41   #169
BANNED

Yes saar!! I missed out a 12" from the sentence.
This is what it should look like; There's JBL 10" & 12" Bass tubes selling for this price!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 18:35   #170
BHPian

@speedzak: thanks a ton and will get back incase of any info required. Things always goes wrong with the budget when you do some consulting.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 01:50   #171

Hi Guys
I am new to this forum as my status suggests, but i keep reading the mails in this forum whenever i get time, only after going thru a lot of mails here, I decided on my Car's setup.
Got the setup done for my swift Vxi from Sound Factor, after reading mails from Sam nd many others.

My existing setup includes
Amp : SOny 552
HU : PIO 6850
Front : GTO 607
JBL SUB : Not sure of the model, costed me 6500 three months back,box type
The whole setup costed me 30K
The problem i am facing is with the sub, kindof not satisfied with the boom

First thing I want to know is, are these subwoofers come factory fitted with the enclosure or the shop wallas will make them.
I am asking this question because, a few days back I was going through FXaudio site (JBL - harman/kardon - Infinity - Denon ProDJ | FX Audio | Dealers in India...), and there
whichever Sub they have shown has a very neat enclosure, with JBL written on it, but compared to that the enclosure I got looks like a home made one.
Considering that I have to pay extra for an enclosure made by JBL, how much does it cost and how much of sound difference
will be there.
OR If I dont have to pay extra for the enclosure, is it possible if I go back to sound factor and they change the enclosure, moreover one more problem here is, that day I was so exited with my new system that I didnt ask for the bill. Preetam just gave me the warranty cards but no bill, but I guess it was my fault, its my duty to ask for it.

Second problem , mine is a box type enclosure, and only after a while i realised that I like the Boom in the music more than the punch, nd so for that, a tube enclosure for the sub should have been my choice. So now is it possible to change the enclosure from box to tube. Problem is I dont even know the model number of the sub, any way to find that out.

Third issue is, the boot rattles a lot while playing loud, pls tell me how much it will cost for damping the boot.

I jus hope, i dont irritate you with so many queries.

Regards
Kaustuv
Kaustuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 07:11   #172
Team-BHP Support

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
BTW, I hope you intend to amp the front speakers and not the rear speakers.
Yes, that amp is intended for the front speakers only though not for the Swift. It's just a small amp that i might as well put to use for as long as it's usable, in an older Maruti Zen.

Guys, any views on the Blaupunkt THA 475? It looks like a good amp with a decent price - now that it's been around in the market for a year or so and 75W rms should be enough for me to drive the speakers i'm looking at which'll probably be around 50-60W rms.

Also any views on Blaupunkt PCcb 650 or Blaupunkt PCcb 660 component systems? Which'll be a better fit for the Swift?

I had the pleasure of listening to the Alpine Type-S SPS-17C2, the Alpine Type-R SPR-17LSand the Alpine Type-R SPR-17LP speakers in a showroom on 3 different Alpine HU's - namely, the Alpine CDA-9856, the Alpine CDE-9852 and the Alpine CDE-9846. All three systems had very good sound quality though i didn't have a CD of my own to test them with.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 08:08   #173
Senior - BHPian

aah78,
Yes, a 4-channel amp for the new car would be a better idea. You can always drive the fronts and a sub if you want to, or just the fronts and rears. Or you can add the old amp for a sub with the fronts and rears driven by the new amp.

Blau's amps (except the Velocity series) don't generally get good reviews. Why don't you also consider the JBL75.4 amp? It should be in the same price point. The 75.4 is considered to give good output & sound quality.

I don't think the "PC" series from Blaupunkt is available in India yet. They have GT series, TH series, OD series & Velocity here now. Blaupunkt India - The advantage in your car. will give you the Indian range. The Swift will take 6.5" in front and back, so go for 6.5" speakers, rather than 6" speakers. The PCcb660 mentions "Oversize", so it may not fit the Swift. And the mounting depth for the 660 seems to be more than the 650. If you are getting these from abroad, the 650 would be a safer bet.

I'm not at all familiar with Alpine speakers and HUs so I'll pass. But if you did like the sound, then why don't you go for them? Like you mentioned listening to them with a CD you're familiar with would be a very good idea.

If you are ready to spend the 12500/-approx for the Alpine Type-R, then you should also look at the Energy series from Hertz. the ESK165 (Comps-Rs.9100/-) and the ESX165 (Co-axials-About 8000/-) are very good speakers. I fell in love with the sound as soon as I heard them in nikkibike's Swift. They sounded great even without being amped!

Last edited by hydrashok : 8th December 2006 at 08:18.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 10:02   #174
BHPian

Hydra.

Hertz Energy ECX 165.2 is for Rs. 5700 not 8000 however Hertz Hi Energy HCX 165.3 is for Rs. 8900.

The first letter represent the series and second is for the the type coaxial / system (component).
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 11:06   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
I had the pleasure of listening to the Alpine Type-S SPS-17C2, the Alpine Type-R SPR-17LSand the Alpine Type-R SPR-17LP speakers in a showroom on 3 different Alpine HU's - namely, the Alpine CDA-9856, the Alpine CDE-9852 and the Alpine CDE-9846. All three systems had very good sound quality though i didn't have a CD of my own to test them with.
hey..do you remeber the prices for the Alpine HU's as I am also scouting for a new Head Unit?
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 11:46   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
Hydra.

Hertz Energy ECX 165.2 is for Rs. 5700 not 8000 however Hertz Hi Energy HCX 165.3 is for Rs. 8900.

The first letter represent the series and second is for the the type coaxial / system (component).
Whoops! My bad. Confused with Hi Energy :-)

And that's good to know, 'cause I'm considering ECX130s for my rear fill upgrade (stock speaker pods), to go with the ESK163s I'm getting done in front next week. So the ECX130s will be around 4.5K to 5K?

Last edited by hydrashok : 8th December 2006 at 11:49.
Old 8th December 2006, 12:11   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And that's good to know, 'cause I'm considering ECX130s for my rear fill upgrade (stock speaker pods), to go with the ESK163s I'm getting done in front next week. So the ECX130s will be around 4.5K to 5K?
Anup, the ECX130 is for Rs 5400.00, the ECX100 is for Rs 4800.00

Looking forward to your install pics...
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 12:26   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Anup, the ECX130 is for Rs 5400.00, the ECX100 is for Rs 4800.00

Looking forward to your install pics...
So ECX130 it is, for my rear fill.

Hopefully, the install should be done before next weekend. I can't wait... :-). I will definitely share the pics.
Old 8th December 2006, 12:28   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Let me guess the 9852-SPR17LS combo should have souded the best of these 3 (given equal installation).

Alpine Type R in my limited expereince should be a bit more laid back than Hertz Energy. I suppose the Hi Energy series would be more auraly competitive. In this range you can also consider Infinity's Reference.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 04:42   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
aah78,
Blau's amps (except the Velocity series) don't generally get good reviews. Why don't you also consider the JBL75.4 amp? It should be in the same price point. The 75.4 is considered to give good output & sound quality.

I don't think the "PC" series from Blaupunkt is available in India yet. They have GT series, TH series, OD series & Velocity here now. Blaupunkt India - The advantage in your car. will give you the Indian range..

If you are ready to spend the 12500/-approx for the Alpine Type-R, then you should also look at the Energy series from Hertz. the ESK165 (Comps-Rs.9100/-) and the ESX165 (Co-axials-About 8000/-) are very good speakers.
The JBL option sounds good! The only reason i was considering the Blaupunkt Thinline amp was because of it's size - it'll be easier for me to bring along when I come down to India for a few days in December.
Yes, again I was considering the PC series only to carry along-with me.

My obsession with bringing a couple of car-audio components down from the US to India is due to the fact that a lot of car-audio components (mainly speakers and amplifiers) are available for substantially less than the prices mentioned on their official websites (and / or prices in India) - not only ebay but even in retail stores. HU's are priced more or less in the same range, though prices do drop when the unit ages a bit.

eg. the Alpine Type-R's SPR-17LPthat cost Rs. 12K in India are priced here to sell for around Rs. 8K (on conversion from USD to INR). Unfortunately, Hertz doesn't seem to be a very popular brand in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
hey..do you remeber the prices for the Alpine HU's as I am also scouting for a new Head Unit?
The Alpine HU's with CD/MP3 playback generally start from $170 (Rs. 8160 @ USD 1 = INR 48) range.
DVD functionality begins from around $350 (Rs. 16,800).

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Let me guess the 9852-SPR17LS combo should have souded the best of these 3 (given equal installation).

Alpine Type R in my limited expereince should be a bit more laid back than Hertz Energy. I suppose the Hi Energy series would be more auraly competitive. In this range you can also consider Infinity's Reference.
Theres a reason why you're an Audio Guru and I'm a mere mortal!
Will try to get a look at the Hertz & Infinity offerings too...

Last edited by aah78 : 9th December 2006 at 06:12. Reason: modifying content
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote