Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 13th May 2009, 21:11   #1831
Senior - BHPian

Arey baba, if they are not allowing you to audition, they are not worth buying from. Do you ever buy clothes (apart from T shirts and underclothes) without trying them on?

HU-heavy: there are other brands/models (Blau, JVC, Kenwood) which have all the features you would want at much less than 14K. That leaves you money to put elsewhere.

Installation: Sprocket, Pitstop: NO!
Autofusion (costly but worth the cost), Autoshop (dicey, but OK if you supervise), EVO (member here, so some assurance), Sound Factor (if you choose JBL), TMC Jayanagar (also a member here), Mandovi Motors (Blaupunkt) ... plenty of decent ones who know why they are doing what they are doing
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 22:50   #1832
BHPian

Hi Team,
Need suggestions on an upgrade that i am looking at.

Current Setup:
Pioneer DVH-P5950MP
Infinity 6020cs Front Components
Infinity 9623i Rear Coaxials
Pioneer GM-6300F 4 Channel Amp
Pioneer Speaker Wiring

Upgrade To:
Pioneer AVH-P4150DVD
New Power & Speaker Wiring Kit
Preferably an 8" Sub, Small and Tidy nothing which would occupy too much space. I was actually looking at an Open Air Shallow Sub by Pioneer.

Regards,
Tarun
Swiftron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 09:54   #1833

hi,
I would need some suggestion for the ICE I'm planning to buy ...

Head Unit : Pioneer 5190 ( Approx Rs . 8.5 K )
Front component : Mutant 5.25 '' ( approx Rs 8.5 K )
Rear 6 X 9 " - JBL / Polk / anything else for < 4 K ( will need your suggestions )

If any of you has installed anything similar to this lemme know ...
Chevalier_blanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 10:22   #1834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftron View Post
... Upgrade To:
Pioneer AVH-P4150DVD
New Power & Speaker Wiring Kit
Preferably an 8" Sub, Small and Tidy nothing which would occupy too much space. I was actually looking at an Open Air Shallow Sub by Pioneer.
Why are you thinking of changing the wiring? Are you really dissatisfied with the sound you are getting?

Pio shallow sub is neither here nor there. Free air mounting sub - where do you want to mount it - on the parcel shelf? If you really want a sub (you have decent ovals) think of at least a good 10" one. Otherwise think of an 8" (not so common, you will have to hunt) in a sealed box under the front passenger seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier_blanc View Post
... Head Unit : Pioneer 5190 ( Approx Rs . 8.5 K )
Front component : Mutant 5.25 '' ( approx Rs 8.5 K )
Rear 6 X 9 " - JBL / Polk / anything else for < 4 K ( will need your suggestions ) ...
Ah, Monsieur White Knight, have you auditioned Mutant? If you haven't, please do so and compare with other brands and models before deciding. There is not much to differentiate between models in the 6-12K bracket. Each has an individual sound 'signature' (like some are brighter than the others). Don't go by data sheet or reports - trust your own ears to decide, costlier does not always mean better.
Old 16th May 2009, 02:41   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Why are you thinking of changing the wiring? Are you really dissatisfied with the sound you are getting?

Pio shallow sub is neither here nor there. Free air mounting sub - where do you want to mount it - on the parcel shelf? If you really want a sub (you have decent ovals) think of at least a good 10" one. Otherwise think of an 8" (not so common, you will have to hunt) in a sealed box under the front passenger seat.
I have placed the Amp below the front passenger seat and somehow i now prefer to have in the back, probably fixed to the back of the rear seats (What would you suggest?).

I am also considering the MultiChannel Processor to have a 5.1 surround sound.

Would you suggest any other speakers, i was inclined to Infinity since they are from Harmon Kardon. I knew nothing about ICE until i started to follow up on TeamBHP.
Swiftron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 12:43   #1836
Senior - BHPian

You could think of shifting the amp. Just make sure it is mounted on a board (not the seatback directly) and the cables are dressed properly, otherwise it will look terrible.

I am not sure, but I think the Pio 7650 DSP is for changing signal properties (like an 'equalizer') is not responsible for creating 5.1. The DVD HU itself should do that.

I like Infinity too. There are other brands & models - I think you should do some auditioning and allow your ears (and what is in between) to decide.
Old 20th May 2009, 12:24   #1837
BHPian

Default Whats the next logical upgarde!

So i have finally started ICEing my Swift. My frist step towards were the ICE were:

Pio 5050
Illusion Electra 6.1 Compos in the front.

And thats just about it. Now the setup as it is sounds preety good but i am lacking two things for sure:

1. Rear Fill
2. On high volumes the Illusion distorts a bit.

So what should i go in for:

Two Coax in the rear parcel tray
or
Two Compos on the rear doors
or
JBL Amp + Ground Zero Sub for the beginners.

As such i am really happy with just what i have right now. But at times i miss the thump and i miss the rear fills for sure :P
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 12:35   #1838
Senior - BHPian

option 1 or 3.

3 might not be as kind on the rear seat passengers, but will sound great for the folks up front.

are you getting a 2 ch or 4ch amp?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 13:12   #1839
Senior - BHPian

This is the best way to start the ice, you had bought the right stuff i will say leave the rear fill for now and go for a amp and sub combination.

After this In future if you want to add rear speaker (coax) you can add but i will say go for the stock location.
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 13:24   #1840
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend round co-ax in door location if you are putting in a sub (small incremental cost), the parcel tray with 6x9 if without.

If you are getting a sub, get a decent 4-ch amp, wire the front components to 2 channels, the sub to the other 2 bridged, and drive the rear fill straight from the HU.
Old 20th May 2009, 13:25   #1841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
This is the best way to start the ice, you had bought the right stuff i will say leave the rear fill for now and go for a amp and sub combination.

After this In future if you want to add rear speaker (coax) you can add but i will say go for the stock location.
I agree. The rear fill make the sound stage bad then make it better.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 13:29   #1842

Hi Guys,

Further to my query a few days ago, I finally got my car some well deserved ICE. This is what I got myself and totally it came up to about Rs32K after further negotiation on the price listed below. I know that I was told to avoid sprocket but I had to get it done from there primarily because I didn't see any reason myself to deter me from getting it done there. I don't know if the deal that I got was good, but what I have now is music to my ears, I expected to achieve a decent balance between crisp/clear music and decent thump and so far I haven't been disappointed.The owner also willingly gave me an audition to various brands: JBL, Polk, JL, M-Quartz (or something like that) in addition to some of the others that I had already heard, so all is good. There is a minor chink though and I would like some suggestions.

1) Pio 5190UB Head unit===> 13,000
2) JBL GT5 S644, 4 Ch Amp===> 8,990
3) JBL 600 C component (front)spkrs==> 5,000
4) Polk 12 " Sub Woofer (1200 W)===> 7,200
5) E2 Amp wire kit===> 3,200
6) Fitting/labor charges==> 700

Future Purchases:

1) Another Mono-block for sub or a 2 channel.
2) Replace existing Co-axials at the rear.

Here is what I need suggestions on:

1) I had previously installed an MDF tray to house the rear co-axials which is now giving me an impression that maybe it is blocking some of the bass from getting in (just wondering if it matters). I tried to lift the tray while playing music and i noticed improvements in how the bass felt. I m hooked to the setup now so I plan to replace my rear speakers (please note that I didn't replace the rear speakers which are a good 3 years old now). But this time round, I want the MDF to go, is it a good idea?

2) Seeing how the front JBL components are performing (good clean- certainly not the best sound clarity but still VFM and no distorsion even at near full volume) I am wondering if going for another pair of components on the rear door would be a good idea. I guess the Co-axial would suffice at the back, but let me know if components on the rear doors would perform better.

3) I noticed that some posts here pointed out that placing the amplifier under the front passenger seat might not be the best option. Please advice on what are the obvious disadvantages. At the moment, the amp is setup that way in my car and since I was around while the fitting was done, I insisted on a clean job and ensured that there were no hanging wires that can ruin the aesthetics.

4) I could not get the damping done for the doors for want of time, and in hindsight, it was a bad decision. the door jarring is getting to me now. Please let me know if I should get the damping done for all 4 doors (assuming I might go for another pair of components on the rear doors) and the hatch? If so, what are the alternatives to Dynamat? I was told getting Dynamat can be costly and there are other alternatives such as filling the door gaps with waste (found in petrol pumps) or glass wool. How much will damping cost approximately? I will try and post some pics when I find some time.
clonedintellige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 13:35   #1843
BHPian

guys ! i have a question ! is it advisable to put same speakers as fronts in the back? or we can put cheap ones also and quality doesn't matter ?
VOiLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 14:17   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOiLA View Post
guys ! i have a question ! is it advisable to put same speakers as fronts in the back? or we can put cheap ones also and quality doesn't matter ?
If quality doesn't matter you can place them any way you like....!

Last edited by freakrz : 20th May 2009 at 14:18. Reason: mistype
freakrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 16:46   #1845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOiLA View Post
It is usually advised to use your best speakers in the front (if you drive) and the lesser speakers in the rear.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote