Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 6th August 2009, 12:09   #1891
Senior - BHPian

Navin ji.
Our resident Low_bass_makker uses 2 15"
The boot is big enough to hold that. So one 12" would not be a problem at all.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 12:29   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Are there special 6" subwoofers or are the midwoofers from components used as 6" subwoofers by giving them some enclosure?
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 21:05   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Default Best Speakers to Match My Amps

Hi guys,

I have the current set-up in my Swift as mentioned below :

Headunit : Pioneer 6950
Front Components : JBL GTO 606Ce
Rear 6X9s : JBL GTO 937
12" Subwoofer : Infinity 1200Ref ( In an enclosure & NOT Tube)
4-Channel Amp : JBL 75.4 (Driving all speakers)
Monoblock Amp : JBL 301.1 (Driving the sub)

I am now looking to change the components, speakers and subwoofer for better sound quality and clarity.

Many have suggested Illusion. Should I go for the Electra or Lucent Series for the components and 6X9s. Some have suggested Illusions for comps and GZ for 6X9s. What about the subwoofer?

Which would be the best components, 6X9s and subwoofer to match the said JBL amps? Kindly advise.

Regards,

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 23:03   #1894
BHPian

Well, electras are 7k and luccent ~ 13K.
But the illusions electras are sure VFM in the 7k margin.
For sub : ground zero GZTW 30T for ~ 8k something.

Above all, whats your total budget ?
jithudigitised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 16:10   #1895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
Well, electras are 7k and luccent ~ 13K.
But the illusions electras are sure VFM in the 7k margin.
For sub : ground zero GZTW 30T for ~ 8k something.

Above all, whats your total budget ?
I have no particular budget but i just want good speakers and a good subwoofer to match my amps.
Old 14th August 2009, 18:28   #1896

Default JBL GTO947 vs JBL GTO938

Hello
I was advised to go for JBL GTO938 (300 watts) instead of JBL GTO947 (400 watts) by Aftab in TMC electronics, jayanagar, Bangalore. He said that the 938 handles low frequency (bass) better and the 947 has high midrange. Since i was not totally convinced, i rang up the Orange Tree Marketing co (JBL dealer) and he said that 947 is definetly better than 938.
Now i am confused. Will a 300 watts speaker deliver more bass than the 400 watts one? Sounds like a stupid qn, but if anyone could shed some light on this, it would be of immense help!
necrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 23:19   #1897
BHPian

ok audio noob here so please adjust

got myself running a pair of polk momos in the front powered by a kenwood 2channel amp and got kenwood speakers in the rear door as well. head unit is the kenwood bt7539.

now my question is if i go in for a subwoofer like pioneer's wx301 @ 8k do i need to replace my 2 channel amp and go in for a 4 channel amp or do i leave the 2 channel as it is and add a mono amp for the woofer?

dont want to get confused by the car audio showroom guy :(
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 00:00   #1898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Low_bass_makker uses 2 15".
and he has a back seat? where does he fit it all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Are there special 6" subwoofers or are the midwoofers from components used as 6" subwoofers by giving them some enclosure?
No these are pretty ordinary 6" tear drop tubes made by Blaupunkt. They do not go too loud or too low (probably around 45Hz at any significant volume) but they do help my FIL's front components and rear coax speakers. Remember guys we are talking about a 65 year old gentleman here. He is not going to want or need BOOM-BOOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I stand corrected. Apparently a sane 12" woofer will also fit. Epic How much luggage room do you have left? My FIL can fit a 30" bag as well as a carry on between the 2 small woofers.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 11:49   #1899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
... I was advised to go for JBL GTO938 (300 watts) instead of JBL GTO947 (400 watts) ...
Now i am confused. Will a 300 watts speaker deliver more bass than the 400 watts one? ...
The amount of bass is unrelated (at the levels we are talking of here) to the wattage of the speaker. Both advisors expressed their personal opinion, and IMHO Aftab was right. You are unlikely ever to go to the max handing level of the speaker - that is what the 300 and 400 are all about, and even 300W is good enough.

Aftab was referring to the sound signature of the speakers, and that is what one should go by - audition both and see whose sound signature you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
... for a subwoofer like pioneer's wx301 @ 8k do i need to replace my 2 channel amp and go in for a 4 channel amp or do i leave the 2 channel as it is and add a mono amp for the woofer? ...
Either is OK, just that in your case you lose some money if you replace the 2ch with a 4ch. The dealer will give you only a fraction of the original purchase price of the 2ch as discount on the 4ch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
and he has a back seat? where does he fit it all? ...
That he has, at least from what we see in his pics (he hasn't updated his pics in a while - says he is "waiting for the Gurus to arrive", don't now which).

He just doesn't have a boot to talk of. All his equipment is where his boot used to be.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 12:38   #1900
Senior - BHPian

I stand corrected. Apparently a sane 12" woofer will also fit. Epic How much luggage room do you have left? My FIL can fit a 30" bag as well as a carry on between the 2 small woofers.[/quote]

When i had the tube. My luggage space was nil. Now with the same sub in a box, I can squeeze in a gym bag or two.
Old 15th August 2009, 12:59   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The amount of bass is unrelated (at the levels we are talking of here) to the wattage of the speaker. Both advisors expressed their personal opinion, and IMHO Aftab was right. You are unlikely ever to go to the max handing level of the speaker - that is what the 300 and 400 are all about, and even 300W is good enough.

Aftab was referring to the sound signature of the speakers, and that is what one should go by - audition both and see whose sound signature you like.

Either is OK, just that in your case you lose some money if you replace the 2ch with a 4ch. The dealer will give you only a fraction of the original purchase price of the 2ch as discount on the 4ch.

That he has, at least from what we see in his pics (he hasn't updated his pics in a while - says he is "waiting for the Gurus to arrive", don't now which).

He just doesn't have a boot to talk of. All his equipment is where his boot used to be.
thanks. a kenwood 4 channel amp + the pioneer amp - 2channel amp all for 11k. is that a good deal?
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 19:48   #1902

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Thanks DerAlte. I'll audition and decide.
necrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2009, 10:36   #1903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

I have the current set-up in my Swift as mentioned below :

Headunit : Pioneer 6950
Front Components : JBL GTO 606Ce
Rear 6X9s : JBL GTO 937

I am now looking to change the components, speakers and subwoofer for better sound quality and clarity.

Many have suggested Illusion. Should I go for the Electra or Lucent Series for the components and 6X9s. Some have suggested Illusions for comps and GZ for 6X9s. What about the subwoofer?

Which would be the best components, 6X9s and subwoofer to match the said JBL amps? Kindly advise.

Regards,

Epic

Hi guys,

After alot of discussion with B&T. Here is the proposed upgrade

Headunit : Alpine 9887 (Prefer a Pioneer so still have to decide) - Suggestions are welcome.
Front Components : Illusion Electras EL 6.1
Rear 6X9s : Illusion, Ground Zero OR DLS (Still have to decide) - Suggestions are welcome.
12" Subwoofer : Ground Zero GZRW 12XD-AL

What do you guys think of the above set-up?

Epic
Old 16th August 2009, 12:40   #1904
BHPian

I would suggest you to get a better mono.IMHO the 300.1 will be be strained by the GZ as max it can give is 300 at 1 ohm.Putting a amp at 1 ohm with such a load isn't a very good idea as the GZ in 500wrms.
DjNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2009, 20:47   #1905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
thanks. a kenwood 4 channel amp + the pioneer amp - 2channel amp all for 11k. is that a good deal?
Model numbers would give a better idea. A Kenwood 4ch would / should be about 6-7K, so the 2ch at 4-5K doesn't sound right unless the model number is known.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote