Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 6th October 2009, 18:53   #1996
BHPian

Default Need Urgent Help..!

Audio Gurus - need urgent help on ICE for my newly delivered Swift VDi. Am as confused as before even after going through all the posts and hence would appreciate a crisp response in layman terms. Can spend upto 20k on ICE.

Requirement is for a decent output (The stock ICE in my i10 sounds good)

1. A good HU - Please suggest a good HU. Do we have any 2 DIN HU that fits the dash perfectly? A single DIN HU looks odd is my opinion, but can live with it.

2. Good Speakers (both front and rear) for a decent output.

3. Am not sure if i would need an amp or sub as i do not want to use up the boot space or install a plank.

4. Do not want any rattles to be induced after installing the ICE. How do i take care of damping? This is one of my main concerns. Can live without ICE, but dont want rattles

5. Do not want the stock wiring to be tampered with.

Please also suggest the best place to get it done in Bangalore. I do not mind spending for quality work.

Thanks in advance.
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 16:45   #1997
BHPian

Need help on this one please Audio Gurus!! In my 2007 Swift VDI, I have the following ICE setup:
  • Pioneer DEH-7950UB head unit
  • JBL Front Components
  • Rear Polk DB 690 on a MDF sheet
All speakers running through the head unit. I got the installation done through Auto Fusion, Koramangala in Oct, 2007.

Pretty much satisfied with the setup I have had for the last 2 years. I listen to all types of Music but majority being rock.

Now I want to add a decent 4 channel Amp., Good wiring and want to get only the front doors damped. Please help me recommend a good 4 channel amp.

My budget for this entire setup of good Amp, wiring and front doors dampening is about 12k-13k. Please suggest a good amp..
dreamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 20:33   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Guys i calculate the volume of my subwoofer enclosure and it came out around 0.543 cubic Ft. or 15.37 liters, is it OK for 10" sub in sealed box?
i did calculation over here
Speaker Enclosure Volume Calculator
height=12 inches
width=12 inches
depth1=7.5 inches
depth2=10 inches
wood thickness=0.5 inch
which came to 0.543
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 22:11   #1999
Senior - BHPian

Use 0.75" thick wood.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 22:31   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Guys i calculate the volume of my subwoofer enclosure and it came out around 0.543 cubic Ft. or 15.37 liters, is it OK for 10" sub in sealed box?
i did calculation over here
Speaker Enclosure Volume Calculator
height=12 inches
width=12 inches
depth1=7.5 inches
depth2=10 inches
wood thickness=0.5 inch
which came to 0.543
Depends on the subwoofer you are using.
What is the recommended enclosure size.
And as nitrous mentioned use 0.75" thick wood
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 14:36   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Yes i think so its 0.75" thick and woofer is Infinity REF1062 (275 W RMS at 2 ohms load and powered by a JBL GTO 301.1 amp 320 W RMS @ 2 ohms)
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 17:16   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hey guys,

After alot of posts, discussions, Pms and confusions. Here is what i have planned my upgrade to be: -

Current Set-up

Head Unit : Pioneer 7950
Fr Comp : JBL GTO 606Ce
Rear 6X9s : JBL GTO 937
12" Sub : Infinity Ref 1200T (Installed in a sealed box)
4-Ch Amp - JBL GTO 75.4 (Driving the Compos & 6X9s)
Monoblock - JBL GTO 301.1 (Driving the sub)

Proposed upgrade

Head Unit : Alpine 9887 (Looking out for preferably a Pioneer)
Fr Comp : Illusion Carbon Nd 6.1
Rear 6X9s : DLS Reference R-694 OR DLS Reference R-1073
12" Sub : Ground Zero GZRW 12XD-AL (Installed in a sealed box)
4-Ch Amp - JBL GTO 75.4 (Driving the Compos & 6X9s)

Kindly let me know what you guys think of the above set-up.

Epic
After more discussions and PMs with B&T, below is the final setup of my ICE upgrade in my Swift. Changes in bold.

Proposed upgrade

Head Unit : Pioneer 6950 (Not 7950 mentioned above which was a typo error in my previous post)
Fr Comp : Illusion Carbon Nd 6.1
Rear Coaxials : DLS 428 Performance Series 8" coaxials
12" Sub : Ground Zero GZRW 12XD-AL (Installed in a sealed box)
4-Ch Amp - JBL GTO 75.4 (Driving the Compos & Coaxials)
Damping

Retaining the headunit as of now and will probably upgrade when budget permits.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 21:28   #2003
Senior - BHPian

I moved my Whole Setup from i10 to Swift.
HU: Pio 5050 UB
Front: Hertz DSK 165
Rear: Hertz DCX 165
Amp: Blaupunkt GTA 480
Wiring: Boss

Somehow the alternator noise has creeped in. Any recommendations to get rid of it?
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 22:33   #2004
BHPian

check grounding of the cables.
jithudigitised is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 02:00   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Hello Team,
I have a swift zxi and want to get better sound from the set up subject to the following
1. Do not want to touch the head unit, in order to maintain the looks and the steering mounted controls
2. New speakers must fit into the factory provided space.
3. Can I get three way component speakers to fit in.
4. I need crisp clear sounds suitable for listening to Ghazals, Sufi sounds and Hindi film music from not so long ago, not interested in big thumpa thumpas.

Let me have your inputs on what to do and where to get it done. The car is in Bombay.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 05:10   #2006
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
1. Do not want to touch the head unit, in order to maintain the looks and the steering mounted controls
2. New speakers must fit into the factory provided space.
3. Can I get three way component speakers to fit in.
4. I need crisp clear sounds suitable for listening to Ghazals, Sufi sounds and Hindi film music from not so long ago, not interested in big thumpa thumpas.
1. Yes the stock Swift system is not heavily EQed hence you can easily add an amp and better speakers. The amp would have to one that has spekaer level inputs because the OEM head unit does not have RCA pre outs.

2. Most 6" speakers will fit the stock locations.

3. Components have seperate tweeters (and in the case of 3 way components a seperate midrnge as well) so NO 3 way components would require miodfiction of the doors and maybe even the OVRM locations. However a 3 way coax speaker (where the tweeter and midrnage are contained inside the same chassis as the woofer) will fit.

4. Listen to a few brands and models. JBL, Blaupunkt, Polk, Boston etc.. are good brands. Sony, Boss, etc.. are not considered to be as good.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 12:50   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Hi Navin,

Thank you for reply. You will have to bear with me some more as I am a complete novice when it comes to ICE. Based on my experience with my last car wherein I had an Alpine head unit and JBL speakers, no Amp & no Subwoofer I am going to stick with stuff from JBL & Alpine only.

I did some research and came up with the following models from JBL.
option1 JBL 660Gti 2 component speakers coupled to JBL GT5-S644 4 channel amplifier. But now after reading your post how do I find out whether this one has speaker level inputs.

2. JBL GTO638 3 way coax component speakers coupled to the above amplifier.

In both of the above cases I was thinking of getting only one pair of speakers mounted in the front left and the rear right door connected to 2 of the outputs from the amp and mount the tube subwoofer behind the rear seat connected to the remaining two outputs from the amp. What is your take on this?
or
3. Take the JBL 6563C 3 component speakers and split the installation. i.e mount the woofers into the rear door speaker mounts and the mid range woofer in the front speaker mounts with the tweeters also somehow mounted along with the mid range or another suitable location complete with the amp and a tube subwoofer in the rear. Question is can this be done?

The reason I want to go with the single pair of speakers is that I find the original speaker locations in the swift too close to each other to justify 2 pairs and the front left & rear right combo is completely based on my perception that this would be the most ideal speaker placement for the swifts tiny cabin given that I am driving 100% of the time. The other thing is all of these are 61/2" in dia, you did mention 6" so i hope I won't have to go back and locate the 51/2".

I keenly look forward to your continued guidance.
Old 19th October 2009, 23:30   #2008
BHPian

IF you want to really immerse in the sound,i would recommend you to install the comps on front left and front right doors rather than installing it in a diagonal position.

Also check the JBl site to see whether the said amp have a Speaker level input.

Well, you can connect the front comps to the 2 channels of the amp and use the other 2 channels to power the sub in the bridged mode.
Old 20th October 2009, 01:07   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
IF you want to really immerse in the sound,i would recommend you to install the comps on front left and front right doors rather than installing it in a diagonal position.

Also check the JBl site to see whether the said amp have a Speaker level input.

Well, you can connect the front comps to the 2 channels of the amp and use the other 2 channels to power the sub in the bridged mode.
Hi JD,

Just went through the product manual for another amplifier model from JBL and found the following :
Front Input Connectors (RCA)
Connect to front RCA outputs from the source unit
or signal processor.
Rear Input Connectors (RCA)
Connect to rear RCA outputs from the source unit,
or signal processor.
Unquote

the signal processor output is this another name for speaker level output?
Similar Information for the selected amp is not on the web site but if this is what is required I can always switch models. kindly advise
Old 20th October 2009, 11:38   #2010
BHPian

no no .
We can connect to an amp in two ways :
1) RCA cables
2) Speaker Level Inputs
These are input connectors

But in the above case the singal processor is almost the same as the HU/source unit except that,it will take input from another source,preferrably HU.

So look for Speaker Level inputs.

You could also try other amps like Kenwood or Blaupunkt which will give you Speaker Level Input and RCA inputs in the same price range.