Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 2nd June 2012, 23:12   #2191
BHPian

Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Hey guys, I'm new here so excuse me for my noob-ish questions!

I have a Swift VDi with the following setup:

HU- JVC KW-AVX-746
Front & Rear Doors-Pioneer Co-axials (These were installed when I bought the car. Will do away with them soon.)
Rear parcel tray- JBL GTO948 (mounted on an mdf board).
Amp- JBL cs series 2 channel amp powering the sub.
Sub- Pioneer ts-w305f.

After upgrading the HU there is too much of bass (have kept sub level at -6, still gives decent amount of bass) and the vocals can hardly be heard.

I plan to upgrade to components in the price range of 6k. Also I will be adding a JBL GT5-X646 amp which wil be powering the compos n the rear GTOs.

Please suggest a suitable combo. I mostly listen to pop, bollywood and trance, I don't want the setup to be very bright.

Info of a good installer will be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
97_Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 23:03   #2192
BHPian

I intend to get this done soon. Some help guys
Old 6th June 2012, 13:30   #2193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
I intend to get this done soon. Some help guys
You have a lot of choices in the 6K range - JBL, Infinity, Polk, Boston, Auditor, Morel, Bull. But, first go out and audition the components. Some you will like, some not.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 13:57   #2194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You have a lot of choices in the 6K range - JBL, Infinity, Polk, Boston, Auditor, Morel, Bull. But, first go out and audition the components. Some you will like, some not.
Thank you for your reply DerAlte.

I have a set Bostons in my scorpio and am very satsified with them. Which among the ones you have recommended will give a similar signature?

I am inclined towards the Polk db6501. How are the Infinity Reference 6530cs in comparison with the Polks? The Morels which u recommended, are they Maximos?

Also, the usual installer from where i get things done is keen on selling me the Rockford R1652-S. However, since these don't have an external crossover, and that the company website brands these as 'factory replacement' speakers I'm hesitant.
Old 6th June 2012, 14:29   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
... Which among the ones you have recommended will give a similar signature? ...
The closest would be the Infinity Reference. Polk db is comparatively brighter. Morel (yes, Maximo) is somewhere in between, as is RF (not the one you referred to). Auditor, Bull etc. are similar to Morel Maximo. Then there is JBL GT6-266c and GTO-609c. Perhaps you would be better off buying the components elsewhere, and getting them installed by your installer if you trust him.

But, you should actually listen to the components first before taking anyone's word for it - bright for me may not be bright for you.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 17:15   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

I bought a Swift VXi a week ago. Very happy with the over all experience.
Now I want to add an audio system to her. I have gone through all the resources in net and am confused. And frankly with the available choices options, I will not be able to decide. So I need suggestion on a good combination.

My requirements -

1.) I listen to both Hindi and International music (Gazals, pop, jazz, country, blues and rock are some of the diversified music I play).

2.) I have a budget of 15,000 INR as of now.

3.) Want components in front and want rear speakers on the door. (in future would place rear ones on parcel tray).

4.) what is difference between the door mounted speakers and parcel tray mounted, both in price and in sound effect.

5.) I would love to have option of Amplifier and a Sub woofer for later enhancement.

6.) Is the OEM Head unit a good option. Love it for the looks.

7.) Won't mind a single or double din unit, as long as it is in budget.

8.) No video use, no rear camera use and no touch screen use (I want good music), also I don't want navigation system.

9.) Considering my Varied music, Bass is not an immediate priority but clarity is.

10.) I am also poor in sampling various sound systems. So will just go ahead with the suggestions provided here.

Awaiting some replies.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 18:21   #2197
BHPian

Hi ManishAlive
I too got myself a Vxi recently and your requirement sound close to mine
So wud like to give you some options i shortlisted.
For HU - Sony and Pioneer are good options.
If you feel 2-DIN will give a better look there are very few options
1.SONY-WX-GT77UI
2.PIONEER FH-P8000BT
3.Kenwood DPX-U6120

For Single DIN - You can choose any one from a wide variety of options from Sony,Pioneer,JVC,Kenwood etc
For speaker set up as you wanted to keep it simple, JBL is the best bet for me
Front - JBL -CS6 - 135W - around 3K
Rear - JBLGTO 949 400 W
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 19:34   #2198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post

4.) what is difference between the door mounted speakers and parcel tray mounted, both in price and in sound effect.
Door mounted speakers come in sizes of 4'' to 6 n half inches. These speakers are cheaper than 6x9's. But the performance of 6x9's (especially in terms of bass) is better compared to them.

Keeping your budget in mind, I would suggest you get a good single din hu from pioneer,jvc or kenwood with 2 or more pre-outs (since you want to add an amp and sub later on). For the fronts the cheapest components you can get are JBL's. They are of decent quality. If want some decent bass in the car, go for the JBL GTO 949 on an mdf board. This should suffice you for now.

But the best thing to do would be to listen to a few speakers and then decide.
Old 21st June 2012, 05:24   #2199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix
Hi ManishAlive
I too got myself a Vxi recently and your requirement sound close to mine
So wud like to give you some options i shortlisted.
For HU - Sony and Pioneer are good options.
If you feel 2-DIN will give a better look there are very few options
1.SONY-WX-GT77UI
2.PIONEER FH-P8000BT
3.Kenwood DPX-U6120

For Single DIN - You can choose any one from a wide variety of options from Sony,Pioneer,JVC,Kenwood etc
For speaker set up as you wanted to keep it simple, JBL is the best bet for me
Front - JBL -CS6 - 135W - around 3K
Rear - JBLGTO 949 400 W
Buddy, thanks for replying. So now rear mdf board is a good option. I can also mod my dashboard if l get single din system. Which is the best single din system irrespective of price. Also how are infinity speakers. What about cabaling kit.
Old 21st June 2012, 09:58   #2200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1.) I listen to both Hindi and International music (Gazals, pop, jazz, country, blues and rock are some of the diversified music I play).

2.) I have a budget of 15,000 INR as of now.

3.) Want components in front and want rear speakers on the door. (in future would place rear ones on parcel tray).

5.) I would love to have option of Amplifier and a Sub woofer for later enhancement.

6.) Is the OEM Head unit a good option. Love it for the looks.

7.) Won't mind a single or double din unit, as long as it is in budget.

8.) No video use, no rear camera use and no touch screen use (I want good music), also I don't want navigation system.

3,4) 6x9 speakers provide more bass than door mounted speakers. But if you go for a subwoofer then 6x9 would be redundant in an SQ setup. If you plan on having a sub then door speakers are enough. I don't like the parcel tray mounted speakers instead would prefer door mounted speakers. The doors would take speakers of upto 6.5" without any additional cutting.

6) I don't know, i love its looks too But my car is a VXi so never got to listen to it, anyways it won't sound as good as a good aftermarket headunit.

7, 8) Then go for a single DIN. You can detach the face plate and take it with you as a security measure. Some double DINs feature non removable face plate and the ones you can remove you won't be able to carry it with ease.

Quote:
Buddy, thanks for replying. So now rear mdf board is a good option. I can also mod my dashboard if l get single din system. Which is the best single din system irrespective of price. Also how are infinity speakers. What about cabaling kit.
Alpine CDA 117
Pioneer DEH 80PRS
Kenwood X7016

These are all good SQ oriented headunits with lot of features, but it will not fit in your mentioned budget. Of this Kenwood is the cheapest which cost around 14k. Pioneer and Alpine costs between 20k and 25k, im not aware of the exact price. I'm using Alpine and i'm very happy with it, i have used the above mentioned Kenwood in the past it was really good too. The pioneer is the newest of the lot andnSQ feature wise it comes on top compared to the other two in this list.

In my VXi i have Morel Tempo 6.5" connected to the Alpine CDA117 without any amp, and for the volume i listen to its OK. In future i plan to go for Alpine KTP 445 amp to give the speakers a mild boost in performance, without the hassle of extra wiring. There are no rear speakers as of now.

Speakers you can consider are RF Punch (heard it in a VDI played from a regular Kenwood head unit, it sounded good), RF Prime, Morel Maximo, Focal Poly Glass (had it in my AStar and i loved it but the current prices are too high it seems, the speaker is good at its earlier pricing). JBL GTO when i heard a long time back (so don't know if the current series are any different) were too bright, Infinity Reference should be better.

There are some new entrants in the market like HAT, Helix etc.. listen to them too.

But 15k is a little short if you're going for a good SQ oriented HU, which you had asked for irrespective of the price. But for 20k you can squeeze in a good starter setup if you're keen on a good HU - Kenwood 7016+Morel Maximo/RF Prime/Infinity Reference. Inquire the prices first hand with your trusted dealer.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 20:18   #2201
Senior - BHPian

Sankar, 97 octane, Pheonix: Thanks all for the suggestions. I will have a look at these products and will let all know what I purchased.
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:23   #2202
BHPian

Quote:
The closest would be the Infinity Reference.
Hi DerAlte

I need your help again. One of my friends is getting a Swift this Wednesday. He has a budget between 10-15k for ICEing his car. I plan to get him a Kenwood/JVC HU which will cost around 6k as he wants it to play cd's. I am confused about the speakers. What can be bought for the front? Some components you can suggest? For the rear, do you suggest to get speakers in the doors or on a tray/custom made boxes? What should we get for the rear? Does one put components in the rear? Sorry if I sound noobish here! Thank you for helping me in making the best selections all the time!
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:12   #2203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
... One of my friends is getting a Swift this Wednesday. He has a budget between 10-15k for ICEing his car. ...
Arrey, he has your car as a reference, na. If he is happy with what you have, let him get the same, i.e. Infinity Reference. If he has doubts, ask him to audition JBL GTO, Bull, Auditor, Morel Maximo, Polk, Boston - whatever he can lay his hands on.

For the rear, 6x9 ovals would be better on MDF tray / boxes. Unless if he wants a sub, when 6.5" coaxials in doors will be better.
Old 24th June 2012, 13:50   #2204
BHPian

Quote:
Arrey, he has your car as a reference, na. If he is happy with what you have, let him get the same, i.e. Infinity Reference. If he has doubts, ask him to audition JBL GTO, Bull, Auditor, Morel Maximo, Polk, Boston - whatever he can lay his hands on.

For the rear, 6x9 ovals would be better on MDF tray / boxes. Unless if he wants a sub, when 6.5" coaxials in doors will be better.
I got GTO 949 and am not too happy with them! I will look for Infinity Refrence in my city. What are other options for the rear speakers? How about front? Components at front/rear?
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 19:19   #2205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
I got GTO 949 and am not too happy with them! I will look for Infinity Refrence in my city. What are other options for the rear speakers? How about front? Components at front/rear?
What is the cause for your dissatisfaction with GTO949?

Infinity is carried by JBL dealers, their 6x9 is also good. Other usual suspects are Polk, Boston, Bull, even Pioneer (and no, not Sony).

Components in front. Auditions will help separate likeable from ugh! If putting 6x9 in tray or box at rear, nothing else is required at rear. Otherwise decent round coaxes in door + sub. Not components in rear - that will be an overkill.