Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th June 2012, 18:56   #2206
Senior - BHPian

Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Guys I have finally decided on

Kenwood - X7016 for HU (I do not want Blue tooth).

Infinity reference Components 6.5" - Front.

Infinity reference 3 way coax 6"X9"- Rear.

JBL Wiring Kit.

Need to know from the members the current prevaling price of the components and also the model no of the Infinity Speakers ( there are two many on their website.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 02:16   #2207

Default Re: What ICE & @ What Price

The family has just booked a swift VDI in Delhi. My dealer is insisting on getting the ice setup from them and are almost double the prices that what i would have to pay in the market for it. Their logic being that the warranty would get void if I get the ICE setup from outside... I can't think of driving without music and buying the ICE setup from the dealer would certainly make me feel stupid to the core...http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images.../deadhorse.gif

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/Please.gif looking for a guidance from from fellow sr. tbhpian's and swift owners...
Sibertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 09:46   #2208
BANNED

Default Have some , need some ! Swift Audio Upgrade ?

Hello People
I have a 2008 model swift that i picked up used and it needs some ICE. Now i have some of the stuff that i removed when i sold my esteem and i would need a few more to complete the setup.

What I have are 2 kenwood 12 inch woofers in immaculate condition.
2 Pairs of Pioneer TS20 tweeters
1 pair of kenwood 718 oval speakers. A very good speaker back in the day and in very good condition , I intend to use this.
1 Pioneer DEQ 7600 DSP
1 Alpine 705 4 channel amp.

Now what i need is a decent HU 1 DIN.. Need not be high end as i plan to tune my sound through the DSP . I would prefer Pioneer HU.
Some front speakers to go with my tweeters. I dont think i need components ?
Lastly, a good 4 channel amp to drive my rear / front speakers / tweeters.

The budget is between 20 and 25 excluding the wires and the box i would need.
Would really appreciate if you guys could give me input at to what i should be looking at. Also , any place in Delhi NCR you would recommend i check out for install or product purchase.
Thanks guys , Ride safe.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 11:59   #2209
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Have some , need some ! Swift Audio Upgrade ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
... I have a 2008 model swift ...
1. Look for a Kenwood HU. Check the Kenwood India site for model numbers. Pick one that has the features you need. Price is very feature-sensitive.

2. Discard those Pio TS20s - gift it off to someone. They won't match ANY mid-bass speakers

3. Audition a few 6.5" components (2 tweeters + cross over + 2 mid-bass speakers) - JBL, Infinity, Bull, Boston, RF, Auditor, Morel, Rainbow etc. Don't buy something without auditioning - you will find that you will like some and dislike others

4. For the 4-channel amp, get Kenwood, Infinity, JBL or Pioneer

5. I presume you will drive the 2 Pio subs with the Alpine

6. Initially, DON'T connect the Pio DSP. Instead, use the new setup for sometime without modifying the signal. Once you find something definite to change, connect the DSP and tailor the sound. With the new setup, most likely you will not need the DSP
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 08:46   #2210
BANNED

Thanks for the quick reply DelAlte . Now i understand sound is a very personal thing but would you have any specific models i should be looking at.That way i ll demo them and pick the ones that fit the bill. Particularly for the amp and the front components. thanks again
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 11:14   #2211
BHPian

Default Amp (Rockford R250-4) + Sub (Kenwood W3012?) upgrade for my swift

Hi!

I currently have a JVC KD-X30 along with Rockford Fosgate R1652-S component speakers up front. The install was done at EVO Bangalore.

I'm now planning to add an amp and a sub to my car and need suggestions/advice.

For the amp, I'm looking at getting the Rockford Fosgate R250-4 amp, which has 4channel outputs and can be bridged to provide 125 W to the sub, with the remaining 2 channels for the front components. On Amazon.com, this baby is available for under $90. Does anyone have experience using this amp?

I'm planning to source the sub locally - I saw a Kenwood W3012 (single voice coil) on vicky.in for <3k. Reviews are generally positive for this sub. Any other suggestions?

I'm not looking for SPL, good SQ is what I'm after. The output from the HU alone is plenty loud for me, only thing is that it's missing the bass notes, of course.

One last thing - my HU only has one pre out - since the amp has separate gain controls for the front and the rear channels, I don't think having just one set of pre outs will prevent me from getting the optimum balance b/w the mids & the highs (front) and the bass (rear), right?
d3mon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 11:33   #2212
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Amp (Rockford R250-4) + Sub (Kenwood W3012?) upgrade for my swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
... I'm planning to source the sub locally - I saw a Kenwood W3012 (single voice coil) on vicky.in for <3k. ... good SQ is what I'm after. ...
You want good SQ, yet you will trust other's reviews and buy online??? Sacre bleu! "One man's meat is another man's poison" and all that. Please do make time to go and audition some amps and subs in the market before you decide what to buy. If EVO did your install, go and ask Satya to give you an audition of various possibilities, based on your budget.

Quote:
... One last thing - my HU only has one pre out - since the amp has separate gain controls for the front and the rear channels, I don't think having just one set of pre outs will prevent me from getting the optimum balance b/w the mids & the highs (front) and the bass (rear), right?
You will need to use a Y-cable to give the same signal to the rear channels, unless the amp has an internal feed mechanism. With only one Pre-out, the sub volume will reduce if you use the Fader at the HU to fade to rear. Otherwise, yes you will be able to tune the sub optimally. Will be good if your amp has Phase control for the rear channels - will help the sub integrate with the fronts.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 11:51   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You want good SQ, yet you will trust other's reviews and buy online??? Sacre bleu! "One man's meat is another man's poison" and all that.

You will need to use a Y-cable to give the same signal to the rear channels\
I meant good SQ for normal people, not for TBHP's ICE crowd.

I have a limited budget - so any amp that I buy from India that fits in my budget will be much worse than the R250-4, which should be over 10k here. So unless there's a deal breaker in that amp, I'll probably buy that one only.

I think auditioning subs is a good idea. Which is the best place to go for auditioning subs? Although I didn't ask for a demo, Satya didn't seem to have subs for demos? (Unless he keeps them hidden away in the back somewhere)

Yes, the Y cable will be required, of course.
Thanks for confirming that a nice balance should be possible b/w the front and the rear.
d3mon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 12:38   #2214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant good SQ for normal people, not for TBHP's ICE crowd.
Every one in the TBHP ICE crowd is very normal, baba. Very few of us go overboard in what we buy, and most of us look out for VFM deals all the time. And most of us have budget limitations like you.

Quote:
... any amp that I buy from India that fits in my budget will be much worse than the R250-4 ...
Give up your prejudice. You will be surprised at the stuff that we get here at far less. For example, a JBL, Kenwood or Pio amp would cost 6K or less, and perhaps be better sounding than the RF (don't be guided by numbers only). Even the RF you want might be available (without b&W) for 7-8K - and wouldn't have local service at that. Makes more sense to buy in India a brand that has local service facilities.

Quote:
... Which is the best place to go for auditioning subs? Although I didn't ask for a demo, Satya didn't seem to have subs for demos? ...
Don't worry - if he thinks you will buy from him, he will organize it. You could also try the JBL, Polk etc. authorized dealers before you go to EVO - they should be willing to demo in the car. Whoever is unwilling to demo in the car is usually not worth buying from.
Old 9th August 2012, 06:58   #2215
Senior - BHPian

I was earlier suggested 8016 Kenwood model as good sq unit. I could not find one in Bangalore. Now some one is in US. What should be the options of good sq unit and front components all for 20 k, to get from Us.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:05   #2216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I was earlier suggested 8016 Kenwood model as good sq unit. I could not find one in Bangalore. Now some one is in US. What should be the options of good sq unit and front components all for 20 k, to get from Us.
Get the Kenwood eXcelon x994 (same as 8016; I have the same) if you can find one - this should be ~$200 or less on Amazon or eBay. If not, get the eXcelon x996 - Crutchfield indicates $300, but should be less elsewhere.

Components - better buy them in Bangalore after you audition them. Don't go by reviews or experiences on the 'net. Your ears (and what is in between) are unique, so trust only your judgement. Plenty of good ones ~6-9K - Infinity, Morel, Auditor, RF, Boston, JBL, Polk, etc.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 15:26   #2217
BHPian

Dear Gurus, I have bought a new ZDi which comes preloaded with ICE. I am not very sure about the make and type of HU and Speakers. The voice quality is good at low volumes but disortion is high on higher volumes. I wish to retain the HU but wish to go for better speakers for front and rear doors. I do not wish to go for a AMP/SUB. Please give your recommendations for a budget of 10-15k. I have heard that component speakers are better than Coaxials. Will they fit into my budget?
abhjain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 16:28   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
NEW KENWOOD KDC-X996 CD/MP3/WMA BLUETOOTH/PANDORA/iPod USB CAR RECEIVER KDCX996 613815592105 | eBay

Kenwood x996 - thats the best deal I could find when I was looking for a HU a couple of weeks ago.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 17:10   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
... budget of 10-15k. I have heard that component speakers are better than Coaxials. Will they fit into my budget?
Definitely components are better than coaxes. You are likely to get good components for 6-10K. Make sure you audition different makes / models and convince yourself that you like the sound signature of the one you pick. If a shop refuses audition, move on - they are not worth buying from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
... Kenwood x996 - thats the best deal ...
That's the expected price online. Has free ground shipping too, in case one is ordering with enough time to deliver.
Old 30th August 2012, 20:20   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
Get the Kenwood eXcelon x994 (same as 8016; I have the same) if you can find one - this should be ~$200 or less on Amazon or eBay. If not, get the eXcelon x996 - Crutchfield indicates $300, but should be less elsewhere.

Components - better buy them in Bangalore after you audition them. Don't go by reviews or experiences on the 'net. Your ears (and what is in between) are unique, so trust only your judgement. Plenty of good ones ~6-9K - Infinity, Morel, Auditor, RF, Boston, JBL, Polk, etc.
Buddy, thanks for the advice. My sister got the 996 for 230 $ from a local store. I am overjoyed.