Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 14:04   #2221
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 469
Thanked: 582 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

(possibly stupid question follows!)

I have Rockford Fosgate R1652-S component speakers. These don't come with an external crossover - the tweeter is said to have a rudimentary one built into it.
Now they're connected to the front channel of my head unit. (Effectively the tweeter and the midbass are connected in parallel)
Does it make sense for me to bi-amp the tweeters and the midbass drivers using the front and the rear channels from the HU? Will it give me better sound quality?
The impedance of the individual drivers should be higher than what is being currently presented to the HU. I should be able to control the balance b/w them by using the fader as well.

Any holes in this plan?

EDIT: Added current wiring diagram, which indicates what I mean by them being connected in parallel.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by d3mon : 9th September 2012 at 14:16.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 23:42   #2222
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
... - the tweeter is said to have a rudimentary one built into it. ...
Whatever you do, don't bypass it - it protects the tweeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
... Does it make sense for me to bi-amp the tweeters and the midbass drivers using the front and the rear channels from the HU? Will it give me better sound quality? ...
Might, might not. It will definitely give you more control over what comes out of the mid-bass and tweeters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
... I should be able to control the balance b/w them by using the fader as well. ...
Oh no, you won't / shouldn't. If you bi-amp, the same signal (FL+FR from HU) should be given to the Front and Rear channels of the amp. Using Fader will introduce latency into one of the signals, throwing the whole front image out of kilter.

The right way would be to control the mid and tweeter output by manipulating the Front and Rear gain at the amp.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 23:12   #2223
BHPian
 
iron.head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 215
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Hi DerAlte!

Need you help again! Getting a new Swift Lxi for my bother this Sunday. I will be moving the HU(Kenwood 4549) from my Santro to his Swift and will get a USB only one for my Santro. I want to know what coaxials/components can I get for the new car? Is it worthwhile to move GTO949 from my Santro and get something cheaper for Santro? GTO949 costed me around 4000 bucks. What do you recommend for the front? I am on a really tight budget of 5-7k for front and rear hardware for Swift.
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 12:37   #2224
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,502
Thanked: 3,880 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Hi DerAlte!

Need you help again! Getting a new Swift Lxi for my bother this Sunday. I will be moving the HU(Kenwood 4549) from my Santro to his Swift and will get a USB only one for my Santro. I want to know what coaxials/components can I get for the new car? Is it worthwhile to move GTO949 from my Santro and get something cheaper for Santro? GTO949 costed me around 4000 bucks. What do you recommend for the front? I am on a really tight budget of 5-7k for front and rear hardware for Swift.
Typically the Swift's stock locations call for 6" speakers in the the 4 doors. While a 6" speaker in a door will not give you the bass of 6x9 mounted on the rear deck the look with the 6" will be stock and you wont have to pay about 1k for a MDF rear deck.

Hence I would recommend 4 6" speakers that retail for about 3.5K per pair (JBL's GT6 366 or even the 266 is one such option).
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 14:48   #2225
BHPian
 
Pheonix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hi-drive-a-bad
Posts: 186
Thanked: 97 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Hello Friends,

I am still confused on getting my Swift ICED !!

My requirement is simple - Very good sound quality with decent bass ( not going for Subs or Amps now as space is a constraint in Swift )

Initially i thought of the following set up
1. 2- Din Stereo - Sony or Pioneer ( No touch /DVDs simple MP3 Players)
2.Rear 6*9`` Coaxs on MDF - JBL GTO 949
3.Front 2 JBL

But now after going through couple of threads i think Comps are a better choice than rear coaxes and they may come in the same price bracket as well. C
Can anyone help me with the configuration with component speakers and the brands which should fit my requirements.

Would be glad if anyone from Hyd also shares their experiences and suggests good places for getting ICED up.

Waiting to hear from you.

Thanks
Sunny.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 20:19   #2226
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Yes, components would be a better investment in front. You have plenty of choices - JBL, Infinity, Auditor, Morel, Boston, Bull, etc. for ~5-7K. As with anything, try before you buy - an audition prevents post-purchase disappointment.

If you want the HU to be simple, pound for pound a 1DIN HU will cost you less or give you more usable features.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 22:14   #2227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 155
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix
Hello Friends,

I am still confused on getting my Swift ICED !!

My requirement is simple - Very good sound quality with decent bass ( not going for Subs or Amps now as space is a constraint in Swift )

Initially i thought of the following set up
1. 2- Din Stereo - Sony or Pioneer ( No touch /DVDs simple MP3 Players)
2.Rear 6*9`` Coaxs on MDF - JBL GTO 949
3.Front 2 JBL

But now after going through couple of threads i think Comps are a better choice than rear coaxes and they may come in the same price bracket as well. C
Can anyone help me with the configuration with component speakers and the brands which should fit my requirements.

Would be glad if anyone from Hyd also shares their experiences and suggests good places for getting ICED up.

Waiting to hear from you.

Thanks
Sunny.
Hi sunny,
For my new swift I installed JBL components in front and JBL round speakers for my rear door along with a single din pioneer system.

I find this more than sufficient for the music I listen too. It gives a very decent effect.

Chennai Cost:
Pioneer USB HU: 5500
JBL components: 5500
JBL round speakers: 1500 approx

Check out the pioneer HU which gives a display of different colors. You can change the color in this.
zwift1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 12:42   #2228
BHPian
 
Pheonix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hi-drive-a-bad
Posts: 186
Thanked: 97 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Thanks for the replies Deralte and zwift1819

Brainstorming more, i figured the following set up should suit my need.

Front : Infinity or Morel Components
Rear : Infinity or JBL ( 6*9 coaxes) Can we go with Coaxes as i would need good bass as well as compos might fall short on bass.

Now do we need an amp to power the front comps or the HU ( preferably Kenwood would be able to do that as well. Does this again depend on the specs of the components and HU as well?

Also 2. Can compos be used in front and rear as well and will an ext amp be needed to drive them as well ?

I am not keen on an amp and sub set up due to space constraints so i am looking for a set up with comps without amp. Is is possible?

Sorry for sounding noobish with these q's
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 16:30   #2229
BHPian
 
Pheonix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hi-drive-a-bad
Posts: 186
Thanked: 97 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Waiting for your replies

How many preouts are advisable for a HU if i plan to further upgrade my system with Amp + sub coz most 2 -dins come with only 2.?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Thanks for the replies Deralte and zwift1819

Brainstorming more, i figured the following set up should suit my need.

Front : Infinity or Morel Components
Rear : Infinity or JBL ( 6*9 coaxes) Can we go with Coaxes as i would need good bass as well as compos might fall short on bass.

Now do we need an amp to power the front comps or the HU ( preferably Kenwood would be able to do that as well. Does this again depend on the specs of the components and HU as well?

Also 2. Can compos be used in front and rear as well and will an ext amp be needed to drive them as well ?

I am not keen on an amp and sub set up due to space constraints so i am looking for a set up with comps without amp. Is is possible?

Sorry for sounding noobish with these q's
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 18:14   #2230
BHPian
 
k2max6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 482
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix
Thanks for the replies Deralte and zwift1819

Brainstorming more, i figured the following set up should suit my need.

Front : Infinity or Morel Components
Rear : Infinity or JBL ( 6*9 coaxes) Can we go with Coaxes as i would need good bass as well as compos might fall short on bass.

Now do we need an amp to power the front comps or the HU ( preferably Kenwood would be able to do that as well. Does this again depend on the specs of the components and HU as well?

Also 2. Can compos be used in front and rear as well and will an ext amp be needed to drive them as well ?

I am not keen on an amp and sub set up due to space constraints so i am looking for a set up with comps without amp. Is is possible?

Sorry for sounding noobish with these q's
An amp is not needed to power the components or any other set of coaxial speakers., the HU can handle it. The amp improves the experience by quite a good margin.

If you are not keen on going for a sub then you would be better off with the coaxial speakers in the rear.

Yes components can be used in the rear as well.Again amp is upto you if . you want or not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix
Waiting for your replies

How many preouts are advisable for a HU if i plan to further upgrade my system with Amp + sub coz most 2 -dins come with only 2.?
3 pre outs are the best. One for the Front Speakers, one for the rear and one for the sub.
But 2 will also do. Moreover pre-outs are only important if you connect an amplifier.So to use 3 pre-outs you need to power the compete system using an amp.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 21:56   #2231
BHPian
 
beast_within's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raipur
Posts: 86
Thanked: 32 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Hi Team, Need to upgrade the system of my Swift ZDI while retaining the stock HU.

1. Budget of at most 12k
2. Do not wish to get a sub-woofer due to space constraints.

Will upgrading rear speakers within this budget make significant difference in sound quality particularly the mid-bass range and overall loudness.

I have planned to disconnect rear door speakers. Get a pair of decent pair of powerful 6 X 9 Ovals to be installed on rear MDF tray. I wish to power them with an Amp.

Kindly suggest:
1. If stock HU can drive decently powerful 6X9 ovals or an Amp (2 or 4 channel) is recommended?
2. Brands and approx cost of the wiring(RCA and power cables) required to perform the upgrade.

Thanks
beast_within is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 11:16   #2232
BHPian
 
Safari_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 284
Thanked: 196 Times
Smile re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Hello beast_within

If you want to install an amp , why not upgrade the front and rear door speakers . It will definitely improve the overall sound stage and also the quality of sound . Scosche Rca are priced decent and are of good quality .

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Hi Team, Need to upgrade the system of my Swift ZDI while retaining the stock HU.

1. Budget of at most 12k
2. Do not wish to get a sub-woofer due to space constraints.

Will upgrading rear speakers within this budget make significant difference in sound quality particularly the mid-bass range and overall loudness.

I have planned to disconnect rear door speakers. Get a pair of decent pair of powerful 6 X 9 Ovals to be installed on rear MDF tray. I wish to power them with an Amp.

Kindly suggest:
1. If stock HU can drive decently powerful 6X9 ovals or an Amp (2 or 4 channel) is recommended?
2. Brands and approx cost of the wiring(RCA and power cables) required to perform the upgrade.

Thanks
Safari_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 11:50   #2233
BHPian
 
beast_within's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raipur
Posts: 86
Thanked: 32 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Hello beast_within

If you want to install an amp , why not upgrade the front and rear door speakers . It will definitely improve the overall sound stage and also the quality of sound . Scosche Rca are priced decent and are of good quality .
With the modest budget of 12k for the stage 1 of upgrade, kindly suggest which one should I opt for:

Option 1: Amp + Rear Oval Co-axials
OR
Option 2: Amp + Front Components

Which option shall give better bass?
beast_within is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 11:54   #2234
BHPian
 
Safari_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 284
Thanked: 196 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Option 2 is the best , get some damping done as well in front doors only for the meanwhile . Dont expect that it can throw out bass like woofer but it will improve the bass quality better then OEM speakers . And if you are connecting the amp with OEM headunit then you have to get hi low converter as well . Scosche has started importing hi low converter in india and its priced well same as RCA .

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
With the modest budget of 12k for the stage 1 of upgrade, kindly suggest which one should I opt for:

Option 1: Amp + Rear Oval Co-axials
OR
Option 2: Amp + Front Components

Which option shall give better bass?
Safari_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 12:14   #2235
BHPian
 
beast_within's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raipur
Posts: 86
Thanked: 32 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
And if you are connecting the amp with OEM headunit then you have to get hi low converter as well . Scosche has started importing hi low converter in india and its priced well same as RCA .
Have read across multiple threads that Amps which can take speaker level inputs are commonly available. Do we still require a hi-low converter?
beast_within is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICE ICE Baby!!!!!!!!(Swift ICE) scarlet.fever In-Car Entertainment 21 23rd September 2009 20:25
ICE Upgrade in Hydra's Hatch II (Swift Zxi) - Alpine, Image Dynamics, TRU Tech hydrashok In-Car Entertainment 239 26th July 2009 11:54
Pimping My Ride Swift ICE Upgrade vrrraju In-Car Entertainment 34 28th January 2009 15:13
ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed thirst4torque In-Car Entertainment 4 13th March 2008 12:21
swift ICE upgrade - come share my joy :) ibcool In-Car Entertainment 20 18th October 2007 13:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks