Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th November 2012, 16:55   #2236

Post re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Hi friends,
I am getting my new swift VDi next week. Since the day that i booked my car(four and a half months back, yes Manesar happened :( ) I have been reading the posts in the ICE section of team bhp a lot to have a better understanding of how stuff works and you can safely say that I am nowhere near in making this choice on my own. so need some help from the Gurus .

Budget :
20 - 25k

Requirement :
Sound Quality must . No need for heavy bass ( but of course I would like to have some decent bass ). There will be no upgrades to this setup in future.

HU :
I would like a 2-din system. This can be sacrificed for a 1 din system with the extra money going to a good component-amp combo

Speakers:
No need for sub because i don't want to reduce the already small space in swift. So i would like a setup of 4 speakers to be connected in all four doors or 2 in the front doors and 2 in the tray.

Preference :
JBL JVC SONY Kenwood speakers preferred since they are easily available .

Questions:
----------------
1. From which of the following combo can i get better sound quality in this budget ?

a. front components rear co-axial no amp
b. all four component no amp
c. front component with amp
d. a with amp(but keep in mind budget of 20-25)
e. b with amp(again budget)

2. If I am going for the default Swift HU, how much am i loosing in terms of SQ comparing with aftermarket HUs ? Is it enough to give up the looks and go for something from outside instead of the default setup ?

3. Newby question incoming: How much quality difference will be there for an amp-less system (without a sub) when compared to one with amp? Is it worth the money to go for an amp?

3. Components with prices that u would prefer. ( Need some options so that i can audition them and choose the best among them)

Sorry for making this long and thanks for reading it. Waiting for guidance from gurus and Swift owners .
Paltoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 22:41   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

1. b
2. Definitely.
3. The SQ difference is significant. Amp's worth every penny.
4. Too many options, these days. Look at Illusion, Infinity, Bull, Hertz, etc.

One suggestion that I've been cuckoo-ing umpteen times on the forum is damping. Source 20 sq.ft of damping material and damp the doors. Your ears will thank you for it.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 09:47   #2238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
1. b
2. Definitely.
3. The SQ difference is significant. Amp's worth every penny.
4. Too many options, these days. Look at Illusion, Infinity, Bull, Hertz, etc.

One suggestion that I've been cuckoo-ing umpteen times on the forum is damping. Source 20 sq.ft of damping material and damp the doors. Your ears will thank you for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paltoz View Post
a. front components rear co-axial no amp
d. a with amp(but keep in mind budget of 20-25)
I would prefer d becuase the car is the Swift and the budget wont allow for 2 sets of components (10K minimum) and an amp (6K minimum) and damping (7K minimum).

Putting components in the rear door of smaller cars like the Swift and even the Honda City puts the rear tweeter closer to the ear of the front passenger than even the front tweeter. Some tweeters can be angled and these will work but they are few and not in your budget.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 15:10   #2239

Thanks for replying navin sir and nitrous sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I have decided to go with a VFM HU and a setup with an amp. I have been considering damping but that will have to wait for now. I will try my best to get it done later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... puts the rear tweeter closer to the ear of the front passenger than even the front tweeter. Some tweeters can be angled and these will work but they are few and not in your budget.
So if i am going with the 4-component setup I should put the rear speakers in the tray? Would this eliminate the issue ?

Right now I have 2 options here.

I. HU, 4-components and amp(Budget HU 5-6k, amp and kit 6-7k , front components 5-6k and rear 6-7k)

or if the four components setup cannot work even if I put the rear ones in the tray, then

II. HU, a front component rear co axial setup with amp (Budget 5-6k for HU, 5-6k front components, 6-7k for amp and kit, for coaxials 5-7k) .

So these are the questions that i now have. I would prefer JBL/Infinity/Kenwood speakers since i can buy them online and not have to pay 2k extra for each part to the retailer.

1.Components for front doors(5-6k) from JBL/Infinity?

2.Should i go with mono or dual amp? Can you name some products that fits in my budget(5-6k)?

3.If i am to get rear coaxials , which product should I go for (5-7k)?

4.Newby question. All the speakers featured in JBL India site comes as a set of two right?And would the size of 6-1/2"(165mm) components fit the front doors of the swift?

Thanks again for your advice.
Old 11th November 2012, 10:53   #2240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paltoz
Thanks for replying navin sir and nitrous sir.
So if i am going with the 4-component setup I should put the rear speakers in the tray? Would this eliminate the issue ?

II. HU, a front component rear co axial setup with amp (Budget 5-6k for HU, 5-6k front components, 6-7k for amp and kit, for coaxials 5-7k) .

2.Should i go with mono or dual amp? Can you name some products that fits in my budget(5-6k)?

4.Newby question. All the speakers featured in JBL India site comes as a set of two right?And would the size of 6-1/2"(165mm) components fit the front doors of the .
1. If you insist on using 4 components you have to ensure that the rear component's tweeter is off axis and further away from the front passenger then the front tweeter. It is not that it cannot be done but it requires careful placement. Moving the components set to the rear deck would push the image behind the rear passenger and unless you are a musician on the stage the band is usually in front of you.

2. Get a 4 channel amp. Mono amps are for subwoofers.

3. Subwoofers are sold in quantities of 1. Components and coax are sold in pairs.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 22:51   #2241

Sorry for the delay , but i thought i should get some street experience before continuing with the discussions. I have gone to some shops , talked to some dealers, heard demos etc in the past two three days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

2. Get a 4 channel amp. Mono amps are for subwoofers.

Right now I am planning for a 2 channel which will power either compo or co-ax after i have tried them both and listened to them.

How is the pricing and the sound quality of this setup ?

HU : Pioneer x759bt - 10750rs
Compo : Rockford R-16s - 7500rs
JBL GTO 949 - 4500rs
2ch amp JBL 424 - 4200rs
Scoche ampkit+mdf pad+harness+rings+speaker wiring
:2000+750+200+200+640= 3590rs
Total = 30 k after discounts

Already extending budget by around 5k . Is this worth it or should i consider more options ?
Thanks for the advice btw
Old 17th November 2012, 18:15   #2242

Guys dealer called and told me that i'll get the car on Monday. Still not decided on what to get . What about the above mentioned setup ? Any suggestions ?
Old 17th November 2012, 21:01   #2243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paltoz
Guys dealer called and told me that i'll get the car on Monday. Still not decided on what to get . What about the above mentioned setup ? Any suggestions ?
Paltoz, the prices seem fine. Just ensure he does a clean install. Too often I see installs with speakers hanging from 2 screws when there should be 4, wires not taped to prevent short circuits, etc.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 13:44   #2244

Default TROUBLE WITH MY OEM - MUSIC SYSTEM ON THE SWIFT zdi

Guys
Got delivery of my Zdi a couple of weeks back , now the OEM music sytem has started acting up , when it it switched on at times the display refuses to come on , and when it does it starts to display charecters which look more like Chinese or japanese to me
After a while however if the ICE feels upto it the display starts working fine . has anyone faced these issues before or am I just the blessed one
any pointers as to what the problem could be ? Gurus here ...please !!
My Honda city is going to be 3 years old now and there hasnt been a pin out of place ...Guess thats whts quality is about
bobbyvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 19:41   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: TROUBLE WITH MY OEM - MUSIC SYSTEM ON THE SWIFT zdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvictor View Post
... Got delivery of my Zdi a couple of weeks back , now the OEM music sytem has started acting up , when it it switched on at times the display refuses to come on , and when it does it starts to display charecters which look more like Chinese or japanese to me ...
Sounds like a simple intermittence problem in the unit (quite likely) or the wiring. Can happen to anyone. Don't fret or worry, it should be under warranty. Ask the A.S.S. to replace the unit, or prove to you there is no intermittence in switching on and off more than 20 times.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 00:47   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
HU : Pioneer x759bt - 10750rs
Hi Paltoz

Did you install this HU? Your comments please. I am planning to install this on a Honda City. Would definitely appreciate your feedback!
ganeshram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 02:43   #2247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
Hi Paltoz

Your comments please. I am planning to install this on a Honda City. Would definitely appreciate your feedback!
First of all this HU looks really good.It fills up the front dash space in my swift and goes nice with the console . Bluetooth function works fine as long as u remember to connect it every time (if u always play songs through Bluetooth then this is not an issue ) I have tried and listened to songs from cd ,aux , tuner , usb and ipod with no problems .. If u like the looks then buy it .
Paltoz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 10:26   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Bluetooth function works fine as long as u remember to connect it every time ...
Doesn't it reconnect automatically? Should, if the phone's BT is on when one starts the car.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:35   #2249
BHPian

@ Navin.

Got some weird idea after seeing 6.5 inch Ground Zero Sub-woofers.

Can i use the below set-up and how will be the sound Quality..?

1. Front Doors - 2 way components
2. Rear Doors - 2 no of 6.5 Inchs Sub-woofers connected via a mono-amp.
3. Parcel Tray - Coaxial Speakers.
Both component and coaxial connected via 4 channel amp.

Will the above set-up give good tight bass with clear audio clarity?
ashok_lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 11:59   #2250
BHPian

^^^ can some one help by replying for the above.
ashok_lat is offline   Reply With Quote