Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th June 2013, 00:05   #2311
Senior - BHPian

Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
... Can i drive the new components directly from the HU which would make it 6 speakers on the head unit. ...
Yes, you can drive the components from HU, but cannot exceed power limits

Quote:
... Can a Sony Head Unit handle these 6 speakers ? ...
No, it can't on the channels that will have 2 pairs of speakers connected.

Quote:
... Can i drive a pair of components and a sub from a 2 channel Amp or will i have to upgrade my Amp as well?
Yes you can (tri-mode) BUT no, you shouldn't. That is because you would be sending frequencies into each that they can't handle - low frequencies to the components, and higher frequencies to the sub. The result will be a bad sound image.

Also, if you want to use a sub, make sure you amplify the front components too. Otherwise you will have a bass heavy unbalanced system.

1. Better get a 4 channel amp to drive front components and sub

2. Retire the current speakers in the front, and continue to use the rear ovals connected to HU
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 15:41   #2312
BHPian

I am re-posting it under this thread (last posted under Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q). Mods may also move my old post under this thread:

Please suggest a modification in terms of front speakers with a component system for 2013 model Dzire VXI; to match nicely with head unit there, it is Nippon Audiotronix (model no.NP74LA). Does it have a “pre-out”? in case I wish to have an AMP later and change the rear speakers too. Since I don’t want to disturb the stock HU, so am not asking for change in HU.
Can someone please give me detailed specs of NP74LA or data sheet, please!
amitksvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 12:37   #2313
BHPian

Current set up:
Basic JVC HU (X30) with 1 Pre out.
Rockford Fosgate Prime 1652-S Components (Front)
Rockford Fosgate R300-10 Powered Subwoofer (Boot)

The only current issue is that the components cannot really keep up with the sub.
To fix this, I've got hold of a Blaupunkt GTA 480 4ch amp and I want to amplify the front components.
(thinking of leaving the rear 2 channels of the amp unused for now)

Which option is better?
a) Buy a new HU with 2+ Pre outs
(I'm looking at Sony CDX-GT525U at ~4.2k, mainly because it has an Advanced Sound engine, with a listening position feature! This should allow time alignment to make the front soundstage better)

b) Use an RCA splitter to drive both the front components and the sub from the same channel.

Also, the existing power wire is sufficient to power both the amplifier and the sub.
Do we get power wire splitters which can be used to split the power wire in the boot instead of having to run 2 power wires from the battery?
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 14:04   #2314
Senior - BHPian

You can simply change the OEspeakers with aftermarket coaxials. This does not require any changes to the hu but is a simple speaker swap. I have done the same in my Swift and the SQ has improved manifold.

The hu itself has hi level outputs. As and when required you can buy an amplifier that accepts hi level inputs. Alternately you could buy a Hi-Lo converter and then use signal cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitksvs View Post
I am re-posting it under this thread (last posted under Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q). Mods may also move my old post under this thread:

Please suggest a modification in terms of front speakers with a component system for 2013 model Dzire VXI; to match nicely with head unit there, it is Nippon Audiotronix (model no.NP74LA). Does it have a “pre-out”? in case I wish to have an AMP later and change the rear speakers too. Since I don’t want to disturb the stock HU, so am not asking for change in HU.
Can someone please give me detailed specs of NP74LA or data sheet, please!

Buy a JVC HU, these are competitively priced, are much better than Sony in performance and have a longer warranty too.

You can split the signal but unless the splitter is high quality the signal quality will suffer.

The Power wire splitters are called distribution blocks and are easily available at all car accessory shops. You could buy one fron Scosche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Current set up:
Basic JVC HU (X30) with 1 Pre out.
Rockford Fosgate Prime 1652-S Components (Front)
Rockford Fosgate R300-10 Powered Subwoofer (Boot)

The only current issue is that the components cannot really keep up with the sub.
To fix this, I've got hold of a Blaupunkt GTA 480 4ch amp and I want to amplify the front components.
(thinking of leaving the rear 2 channels of the amp unused for now)

Which option is better?
a) Buy a new HU with 2+ Pre outs
(I'm looking at Sony CDX-GT525U at ~4.2k, mainly because it has an Advanced Sound engine, with a listening position feature! This should allow time alignment to make the front soundstage better)

b) Use an RCA splitter to drive both the front components and the sub from the same channel.

Also, the existing power wire is sufficient to power both the amplifier and the sub.
Do we get power wire splitters which can be used to split the power wire in the boot instead of having to run 2 power wires from the battery?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 15:25   #2315
BHPian

Hi,
Wanted some ICE advice for the new Swift Vdi. I am looking for a basic 2DIN HU with BT (No Touchscreens). Searched around a lot and found the following options from the major brands. Which one should be the best bet? And if you could help me with the prices as well?
1. Kenwood dpx-u5130bt
2. Sony wx-gt99bt
3. Pio FH-X759BT
4. JVC KW-R900BT

The total budget I can spare for the install at the moment is around 20k. I am looking at comps at the front and oval co-axials on mdf at the rear for that bass 'feeling'.

I currently have an i20 with the following setup with which I am quite happy:
1. Kenwood DPX U5120
2. RF Punch Comps at front (Dont remember exact model no.)
3. RF Punch 6.5" Oval Co-axials on mdf tray at the rear

This is making me lean towards the Kenwood HU with BT and more or less the same RF speakers/comps setup. However, the Swift with its tiny boot and an almost fixed parcel tray would leave me with little space for when I require the boot.

This makes me wonder whether I would be able to squeeze in a relatively lower priced amp & sub in the same price bracket. This way I could manage with 6" co-axials on the rear doors when the extra boot space is needed.

Oh and this car would primarily be driven by me and my wife. We listen to everything from commercial bollywood/punjabi, western pop/hip hop to classic rock n roll and jazz. We dont want the low earth shattering bass, but some bass should be there.

Some help from the experts would greatly help here!!
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 10:47   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
... This is making me lean towards the Kenwood HU with BT and more or less the same RF speakers/comps setup. ...
A Kenwood HU with BT would be a good choice.

Quote:
... This makes me wonder whether I would be able to squeeze in a relatively lower priced amp & sub in the same price bracket. This way I could manage with 6" co-axials on the rear doors when the extra boot space is needed. ...
1. The Kenwood HU should cost you 5-7K
2. A pair of decent components would come for 6K or less
3. Round coaxials (in rear doors) will cost you ~1.5K. 6x9 coaxials on a replacement MDF shelf will set you back ~4K

A decent amp (like Kenwood M845) will cost you slightly less than 6K, and a 12" sub with box around the same. This would mean that you will fall short by about 3-4K with your 20K budget.

While a pair of 6x9s give a feeling of bass, they cannot do justice to Hip Hop and most modern Bollywood songs. So you have a choice of spending ~16-17K on a system without a sub, or stretch your budget a bit, get round coaxials in doors and an amp and a sub.
Old 27th November 2013, 19:11   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

A decent amp (like Kenwood M845) will cost you slightly less than 6K, and a 12" sub with box around the same. This would mean that you will fall short by about 3-4K with your 20K budget.

While a pair of 6x9s give a feeling of bass, they cannot do justice to Hip Hop and most modern Bollywood songs. So you have a choice of spending ~16-17K on a system without a sub, or stretch your budget a bit, get round coaxials in doors and an amp and a sub.
Thanks a ton DerAlte

However, would I require a 4 channel amp or a 2 channel amp would suffice as I don't have any plans on upgrading this setup for a long time. Is the Kenwood M845 a 2 or 4 channel amp? Which subs would you recommend given the budget constraints? Also, to save on space and $$$, what would you say about a smaller sub?
Old 27th November 2013, 19:38   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... would I require a 4 channel amp or a 2 channel amp would suffice as I don't have any plans on upgrading this setup for a long time. Is the Kenwood M845 a 2 or 4 channel amp? Which subs would you recommend given the budget constraints? Also, to save on space and $$$, what would you say about a smaller sub?
1. If you buy a 2 channel amp, you will have to think hard again when you can afford a sub (not too far, one wishes for you)

2. The price diff is not significantly high - a 2ch is not half the price of a 4ch. More like 75% that of a 4ch

3. M845 is a 4 channel amp

4. JBL, Infinity Ref, Polk, Bull - there are many 12" subs in the 4-6K bracket

5. A 10" sub, maybe? Definitely not an 8" - doesn't produce the same result as a 10", forget 12". Smaller subs don't sell so much, so they are not as readily available as 12" subs. Nor are the smaller subs significantly cheaper
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:46   #2319
BHPian

Hello everyone, i have a small query

I have a Vdi having a Sony head unit, cheap Sony oval speakers at the rear and round small ones at the front. I was ok with the sound because i used the car very rarely. But now its my primary car and i need some suggestions. I am thinking about improving the quality a bit. I dont need a sub, but need more bass, clean bass. A driver oriented soundstage and those lost notes, i think you get the drift.

Help me , Thanx
Pandher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:32   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandher View Post
some suggestions. I am thinking about improving the quality a bit. I dont need a sub, but need more bass, clean bass. A driver oriented soundstage and those lost notes, i think you get the drift.

Help me , Thanx
Hi.. Mate..!!

I suggest you go with a pair of component speakers for the front and a good set of coaxials at the back.

If you can , push an amp in the set up it will enhance the overall SQ for sure.
Just for the sake of reference i am quoting my own post below of my set up as i wanted a similar set up . Set up Polk Ovals in the rear and i am very happy with the bass , you can also try several other brands like JBL,Infinity, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Guys,...
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:38   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Just for the sake of reference i am quoting my own post below of my set up as i wanted a similar set up .
I am unable to see that post, could you please repost it
Pandher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:12   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandher View Post
I am unable to see that post, could you please repost it
Here you go !!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post3155963
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 14:56   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftoholic View Post
I finally had this sorted, the driven guy agreed to get me HT25 and replaced it at no extra cost. I clearly told him about my displeasure, and that I will always be in two minds to visit him for my next round of upgrade.

About the speakers' performance, the mid bass drivers are doing a great job with some serious kick, and the HT25 are blending better, sounding less harsh, sort of warm with the right eq settings. Either they are growing on me or am getting used to the sound signature, at the end of the day I am enjoying what I hear and just can't wait to lay my hands on the remaining equipment. I know the overall sound will improve considerably when I have dedicated equipment for low frequencies, better quality HU and a better amp running the comps.

Thanks DerAlte for letting me know what to expect as a customer and guiding me through this. Will spend the next few weeks reading more on ICE, and probably shortlisting some equipment for auditions. I am aiming for a budget install which I will be able to carry to my next car.
Quote:
Oye balle balle! You happy, we happy!!!
Hi DerAlte! Need further advice on this, we had this conversation a few months ago. I have been enjoying the sound of the Hertz Hi Energy components for a while now. They are currently powered by a Boston 2 channel amp (most likely a fake) and produce decent sound.

I wish to make them sound a bit warmer/laid back than they currently are and to achieve this (if possible), can upgrade to a better HU (currently it is a JVC entry level model ending in 316) and/or upgrade to a better amp. The assumption here is that both the HU and the amp contribute to making a setup sound the way it does and can have an influence on the overall tonality/musicality (if there is such a word), please correct me if this is wrong. Now I have the following questions:

1. Which amp can power these suitably, here are the speaker specs:

Power handling - 125W continuous power
Impedance - 4 ohms
Sensitivity - 92 db/SPL

The amp certainly has to be on the warmer side.

2. Which HU that has 3 Pre-outs, Time alignment and support for an Active set-up and that sounds less bright than JVC? My only need is SQ, and I can live without most of the modern features like Bluetooth, Touch screen, et al.

3. Am I just wasting my time thinking on these lines and need a different set of components (I will be really sad if this is true since I spent 17k on the Hertz components a few months ago)?

Please excuse me for asking too many questions but I haven't found a lot of information on suitable amps for Hertz Hi energy in any of the Team-BHP threads. Navinji mentioned in one of his posts that he finds Hertz bright, however, I am very keen on not letting my money go waste and find a suitable set of HU and amp for these. Also, felt the need to zero in on 2-3 options before I go out in the market for auditions. Any more than 3 options and dealers start raising their brows.

Screaming for help!
Swiftoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 17:21   #2324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I wish to make them sound a bit warmer/laid back than they currently are and to achieve this (if possible), can upgrade to a better HU (currently it is a JVC entry level model ending in 316) and/or upgrade to a better amp. The assumption here is that both the HU and the amp contribute to making a setup sound the way it does and can have an influence on the overall tonality/musicality ...
Err ... no, changing the HU and / or amp will not make much difference. Basic tonality, like that of human voice, is an inherent property. And yes, as Navin had said earlier, Hertz tends to be bright. Changing the HU or amp will not change that inherent property - and that is why we recommend a serious audition so that one is not disappointed later.

1. The HSK Crossover has a -2dB-0dB-+2dB on the side. Bring the switch down one notch (hopefully it is not in the +2dB setting now ) and see if brightness reduces

2. HSK tweeter has a rotatable grill. Rotate the grill and see if that reduces brightness (don't change the tweeter angle)

3. You could also cover the tweeter grill with a layer or 2 of curtain cloth pieces

Quote:
... 1. Which amp can power these suitably, here are the speaker specs: ...
Anything that puts out 40-100W RMS/channel.

Quote:
... 2. Which HU that has 3 Pre-outs, Time alignment and support for an Active set-up ...
Kenwood 8016, but this is a 1DIN conventional HU. Support for Active is present on very few HUs - check if Pio P80RS has it.

Quote:
... 3. Am I just wasting my time thinking on these lines and need a different set of components (I will be really sad if this is true since I spent 17k on the Hertz components a few months ago)? ...
Well, you need to change HU only to get TA (the Kenwood and another JVC model have it). TA will improve the image a lot. Hopefully you need not change the speakers (see above).
Old 28th December 2013, 18:25   #2325
BHPian

Quote:

1. The Kenwood HU should cost you 5-7K
2. A pair of decent components would come for 6K or less
3. Round coaxials (in rear doors) will cost you ~1.5K. 6x9 coaxials on a replacement MDF shelf will set you back ~4K

Quote:
1. If you buy a 2 channel amp, you will have to think hard again when you can afford a sub (not too far, one wishes for you)

2. The price diff is not significantly high - a 2ch is not half the price of a 4ch. More like 75% that of a 4ch

3. M845 is a 4 channel amp

4. JBL, Infinity Ref, Polk, Bull - there are many 12" subs in the 4-6K bracket

5. A 10" sub, maybe? Definitely not an 8" - doesn't produce the same result as a 10", forget 12". Smaller subs don't sell so much, so they are not as readily available as 12" subs. Nor are the smaller subs significantly cheaper
So, I had finally got the JVC KWR-500 HU and Hertz DSK 165.3 components in the front last month. The whole thing costed me around 14k. I was more inclined towards a front comp and rear co-axials setup initially, but finally ended up deciding to go in for a 2 step approach with getting the HU and front compos first and a sub in the next. The primary constraint for this was Vitamin M.

Now, after listening to this setup for a while, I am ready to take the plunge into the next stage. I have a budget of around 12-15k for the entire remaining install. Which amp and sub would you recommend in the given budget? Also, am unable to decide between a sealed/ported enclosure for the sub. Would a ported enclosure take up too much space in the swift's boot?