Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 31st December 2013, 12:23   #2326
Senior - BHPian

Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
... budget of around 12-15k for the entire remaining install. Which amp and sub would you recommend in the given budget? Also, am unable to decide between a sealed/ported enclosure for the sub. Would a ported enclosure take up too much space in the swift's boot?
Ported is more efficient and hence sounds louder. But, if the box and port are not done right, a ported enclosure makes the bass sound boomy. A sealed box, OTOH, is far more tolerant of box dimensions, and gives tight bass.

Get a Kenwood M845 amp - this would cost about 5K+. You will also need to buy wires and RCA cables.

For the sub, first audition the pre-finished ported and sealed subs from JBL, Infinity, Polk etc. Since the box is designed by the manufacturer, one can expect it to match the sub. I would have recommended an Infinity Kappa 120.9 sub in a smallish box, but this sub is ~11K itself. If this takes you way beyond your budget - and you are looking to buy the sub and box separately - look at an Infinity Reference, JBL or Polk 12" sub - these are usually 6K or less. An MDF box costs 700-1500.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 13:08   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Ported is more efficient and hence sounds louder. But, if the box and port are not done right, a ported enclosure makes the bass sound boomy. A sealed box, OTOH, is far more tolerant of box dimensions, and gives tight bass.

Get a Kenwood M845 amp - this would cost about 5K+. You will also need to buy wires and RCA cables.

For the sub, first audition the pre-finished ported and sealed subs from JBL, Infinity, Polk etc. Since the box is designed by the manufacturer, one can expect it to match the sub. I would have recommended an Infinity Kappa 120.9 sub in a smallish box, but this sub is ~11K itself. If this takes you way beyond your budget - and you are looking to buy the sub and box separately - look at an Infinity Reference, JBL or Polk 12" sub - these are usually 6K or less. An MDF box costs 700-1500.
I too am more inclined towards subs which come in the manufacturer's boxes. Is there any way to know whether the subs that I see are pre-sealed (as in come directly in the manufacturers sub box) or installed in the boxes by the installer himself.

Also, are the 'pre-sealed' ones more expensive than if we buy the sub and box separately. If so, is the difference in $$$ worth it?

Sorry, I seem to be bombarding you with too many queries, but I am a noob here!
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 13:26   #2328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Is there any way to know whether the subs that I see are pre-sealed (as in come directly in the manufacturers sub box) or installed in the boxes by the installer himself. ...
Check the manufacturer's website for the pictures of the pre-built subs. They are usually better finished, and invariably have a connector as wells as a sticker / plate on the box. If you go to an authorized dealer, you should be able to pick up an unopened piece.

Quote:
... Also, are the 'pre-sealed' ones more expensive than if we buy the sub and box separately. ...
Yes, they are a bit more expensive than buying a sub and box and putting it together. Firstly, the box is designed to match the sub, and secondly materials and workmanship are far better. The readymade boxes in the market are generally made to an average size, with no particular sub specs being considered.
Old 12th January 2014, 12:13   #2329
BHPian

I have a new swift Vdi and am looking for an ICE setup

My criteria are:
  • HU must be a 2 DIN but with extensions to match with the waterfall console of the swift. Black color.
  • Preferably HU with Bluetooth.
  • I like slightly higher base and treble, but cant take too heavy base or sharp treble. Sound qulaity should be clear.
  • I want a balanced sound. Many cars that have a basic setup have sould heavily rear biased. If I try to balance the sound, the quality goes down.
  • I would love 6x9s at the rear but dont want to compromise on the already small boot space. In any way.
  • Budget: 13K. Can be extended a little.

Story so far:
  • As usual, Maruti Sai Service, Lower Parel says that the electrical warranty will be void if i get the ICE done at other than maruti service. FYI: i have opted for 2 year extended warranty.
  • They have proposed a swift centre console matching Alpine HU with BT (apx Rs. 8000). Front components Sony (4500). Rear coax Sony (2000). These rates are with fitting. This already corsses my budget.

My questions:
  • Will the above mentioned setup sound good, as per my criteria?
  • How authentic is the warranty void claim that they make? FYI: For all cars I have got ICE done in the aftermarket with a basic setup, but i never needed to claim warranty.
benzinblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 13:12   #2330
Senior - BHPian

You would do well to stay away from Sony, their ICE equipment is garbage.

As for the warranty, nothing has changed. Ensure that no wires are cut and you will be good to go.

Audition speakers before you buy them or listen to your friends's set ups which have sound signatures that are to your liking and go from there.

Since this is a hatch, go in for a sub instead of rear speakers. As the coaxials will never be able to play the low frequencies that sub will open up for you. You could opt for a sub in a box or even flat subs that come with a powered enclosure and can be installed under the front seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I have a new swift Vdi and

My questions:
  • Will the above mentioned setup sound good, as per my criteria?
  • How authentic is the warranty void claim that they make? FYI: For all cars I have got ICE done in the aftermarket with a basic setup, but i never needed to claim warranty.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 13:58   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You would do well to stay away from Sony, their ICE equipment is garbage.
The same prices are valid also for Pioneer.

Quote:
As for the warranty, nothing has changed. Ensure that no wires are cut and you will be good to go.
The service advisors have a very different version. Also the same holds for alloy wheel upgradations they say.

Quote:
Since this is a hatch, go in for a sub instead of rear speakers. As the coaxials will never be able to play the low frequencies that sub will open up for you. You could opt for a sub in a box or even flat subs that come with a powered enclosure and can be installed under the front seats.
Will the subs not go way beyond the budget?

How about a 6x9 on the parcel tray (replaced with an MDF board)?
Old 12th January 2014, 14:47   #2332
Senior - BHPian

Did not get the bit about Pioneer

Change your service centre

You could go a step at a time. Retain the OE HU and change only the speakers to begin with and then go from there.

I have HAT Imagine running directly off the original head unit in my Swift Zxi and the sound is very good.

Take look at this component set.

http://www.purplekart.in/Products/ca...d-2995849.aspx

Like the Imagine, this is not power hungry and has a good mid bass and fairly detailed tweeters that do not get sharp at all.

While you may not get these in the sector 17 or 19 markets in Vashi, you should be able to get them at FM drives in Santacruz (W) or other similar shops in Bombay.

I would rather have a sub than rear coaxial speakers to achieve a balanced sound.

Quote:
The same prices are valid also for Pioneer.

The service advisors have a very different version. Also the same holds for alloy wheel upgradations they say.

Will the subs not go way beyond the budget?

How about a 6x9 on the parcel tray (replaced with an MDF board)?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 15:31   #2333
BHPian

Quote:
Did not get the bit about Pioneer

Change your service centre .......

You could go a step at a time. Retain the OE HU and change only the speakers to begin with and then go from there.

I have HAT Imagine running directly off the original head unit in my Swift Zxi and the sound is very good.

Take look at this component set.

http://www.purplekart.in/Products/ca...d-2995849.aspx

Like the Imagine, this is not power hungry and has a good mid bass and fairly detailed tweeters that do not get sharp at all.

While you may not get these in the sector 17 or 19 markets in Vashi, you should be able to get them at FM drives in Santacruz (W) or other similar shops in Bombay.

I would rather have a sub than rear coaxial speakers to achieve a balanced sound.
What I meant was that he was offering the same prices for similar components in pioneer instead of sony.

Mine is a Vdi and doesnt come with HU or speakers.
Old 14th January 2014, 05:42   #2334
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a couple of doubts regarding the Audio set-up of my Swift ZDi.

1) Can i know the manufacturer of the HU;

2) Can i know the manufacturer of the speakers and tweeters;

3) Any other ZDi/ZXi owner can clarify on the AVC feature. The HU gives four settings

a) Off
b) Level 1
c) Level 2
d) Level 3

It's been 25 days and 2800 kms since I have had the car but I haven't found ANY difference in these 4 settings. Is this feature activated or just dummy?

Can anyone help me?!

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 06:07   #2335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1) Can i know the manufacturer of the HU;

Nippon

2) Can i know the manufacturer of the speakers and tweeters;

Not sure for this

3) Any other ZDi/ZXi owner can clarify on the AVC feature. Is this feature activated or just dummy?
Seems dummy to me too as there is no impact on sound quality / volume.
abhjain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 08:21   #2336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a new swift Vdi and am looking for an ICE setup

My criteria are:
[*]HU must be a 2 DIN but with extensions to match with the waterfall console of the swift. Black color.
Why not buy the OEM HU? That is given in the Swift ZDi variant which solves the criteria 1?

I'm not a car audio crazy guy. Just normal sounding setup which I wanted in my Ritz VDi.

From dealer I got the below HU and two front Sony Xplod speakers. Retained the HU and just changed the speakers.

a) HU : Sony Xplod CDX-GT494U (52W x 4) - Got this free with the car from Maruti.

b) Front Components: JBL - GT5 S265C (240W peak power and 60W RMS)

c) Rear Ovals: JBL GTO 949 Limited Edition 6" x 9" (400W peak power)

Paid Rs 8000 for 'b' and 'c' including fitting charges and MDF board.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th January 2014 at 08:24.
Old 14th January 2014, 09:58   #2337
BHPian

Quote:
Why not buy the OEM HU? That is given in the Swift ZDi variant which solves the criteria 1?
Swift OEM HU costs a lot if bought from Maruti A-S-S. And in buying from the aftermarket, I dont want to take chances. I can get similar matching HU for much lesser.
Old 14th January 2014, 13:35   #2338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... 1) Can i know the manufacturer of the HU; ...
In most cases one can - the OE manufacturer's sticker would be there on top of the HU

Quote:
... 2) Can i know the manufacturer of the speakers and tweeters; ...
This is a bit more difficult, since either the manufacturer is not a well known outfit, or they are making white-labelled speakers. Most of the ones used in Indian cars are either made in Malaysia or Thailand by no-name manufacturers

Quote:
... 3) ... AVC feature. ... It's been 25 days and 2800 kms since I have had the car but I haven't found ANY difference in these 4 settings. ...
It is working as it should - transparent to user. You are unable to perceive the difference between the 4 levels because you must be controlling the volume control also. You test this feature only by using different tracks which inherently have widely varying average volume levels.
Old 17th January 2014, 21:16   #2339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In most cases one can - the OE manufacturer's sticker would be there on top of the HU
Sadly, my car's HU doesn't have any stickers on it but my SA says it is Nippon.

Quote:
This is a bit more difficult, since either the manufacturer is not a well known outfit, or they are making white-labelled speakers. Most of the ones used in Indian cars are either made in Malaysia or Thailand by no-name manufacturers
I like the speakers as it is being given by Maruti. Was expecting the standard Sony ones but I am pretty sure they are NOT Sony.

I was suspecting it to be JBL's but even the SA is clueless.

Quote:
It is working as it should - transparent to user. You are unable to perceive the difference between the 4 levels because you must be controlling the volume control also. You test this feature only by using different tracks which inherently have widely varying average volume levels.
My bad, The SA gave me a proper demo of the AVC when I visited him.

He first demonstrated the same in a silent room and then on highway with varying speeds for the volume change (All done in safety and not affecting other road users)

Wish they could have had a feature like - "Muting the audio when slotting reverse gear'!

Anurag.
Old 17th January 2014, 21:52   #2340
BHPian

Quote:
Sadly, my car's HU doesn't have any stickers on it but my SA says it is Nippon.
The stock HU and the speakers are from nippon.
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote