Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th January 2014, 09:31   #2341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post

The stock HU and the speakers are from nippon.
HU is fine but speakers + tweeters seems too good for it to be a Nippon.

By the way did you open the door panels and check for the make? My hands are itching but resistant as the rattles would start off.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 10:45   #2342
BHPian

Anurag you dont need to open . The speakers are from nippon audiotronix. Pls find the pictures of the front woofer and the tweeter. There is no crossover though. The rear woofervis also the same.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140118_103928.png
Views: 1320
Size:  588.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140118_104023.png
Views: 1352
Size:  745.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140118_104134.png
Views: 1603
Size:  767.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140118_104220.png
Views: 1341
Size:  841.9 KB
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 10:55   #2343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Anurag you dont need to open . The speakers are from nippon audiotronix. Pls find the pictures of the front woofer and the tweeter. There is no crossover though. The rear woofervis also the same.
Good that you posted the picture. Thank you very much. For an OEM it is surprising for the sound quality.

I saved myself rattles

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 11:39   #2344
Senior - BHPian

Default re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift

Swift surely has improved. My 2008 Zxi came with simple coax speakers front and rear.
Could you post a picture of the interiors showing where the tweeters have been mounted by the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 12:16   #2345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Swift surely has improved. My 2008 Zxi came with simple coax speakers front and rear.
Could you post a picture of the interiors showing where the tweeters have been mounted by the company.
Posting the picture on behalf of Sridhar

ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift-forumrunner_20140118_121434.png

It is placed on the door where the manual adjustment for the ORVM was located.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2014, 18:48   #2346
BHPian

Need advise of the experts on installation of ICE on my Swift.

I am evaluating the two setups as given below:

a) Front Components + Rear MDF 6x9

b) Front Components + Rear Door Co-axials + Amp

My questions are:
1) Which combination will give a better sound quality?
2) My uncle's Ritz with 4 door coaxials minus amp has no punch. Will (b) sound significantly better? (especially in terms of bass?)

I am more inclined towards (b) mainly because i dont want to compromise the boot. My only concern is will it have sufficient bass?

Last edited by benzinblut : 6th February 2014 at 19:09.
benzinblut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 11:17   #2347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
... evaluating the two setups as given below: a) Front Components + Rear MDF 6x9 b) Front Components + Rear Door Co-axials + Amp My questions are: 1) Which combination will give a better sound quality? 2) My uncle's Ritz with 4 door coaxials minus amp has no punch. Will (b) sound significantly better? (especially in terms of bass?) I am more inclined towards (b) mainly because i dont want to compromise the boot. My only concern is will it have sufficient bass?
* No, the second setup will not give sufficient bass. The amp won't be able to do much if the speakers are not capable of bass

* 6x9 ovals on MDF will not compromise your boot space. The MDF plate can swing up if you have tall stuff to carry

* The difference in price between round and 6x9 coaxes is around 3-4K. An amp will cost around 6K

* The system will definitely sound better with the first setup if you add an amp
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 11:59   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
Need advise of the experts on installation of ICE on my Swift.

I am evaluating the two setups as given below:

a) Front Components + Rear MDF 6x9

b) Front Components + Rear Door Co-axials + Amp

a+amp ? Comps can be run without amp too but after some usage you will definitely feel the need of an amp esp when hearing at low volumes. Amp will enhance SQ esp when you are using components .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* 6x9 ovals on MDF will not compromise your boot space. The MDF plate can swing up if you have tall stuff to carry

Further to what DerAlte has mentioned ,instead of normal MDF with oval rings cutout i would suggest you to go with ones which have "raised enclosure " kind . Speakers are made to sit 2-3 inches sit above the mdf tray level in moulded enclosures. In the normal ones though they are placed on the tray the magnets do pop down from the holes and often take a hit or two when moving heavy baggage in-out. Also for some speakers the wirings from HU are just clutched via naked pin type holders ( as in my case with my Polk Dxi 690 ) which are also prone to take a hit. So go with such MDFs and you will have no issues with boot space at all.In addition to guarding the speakers the enclosure design helps produce some bassy effect for those 6*9's.
All this coming from my personal experience so make your choice
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 13:15   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
... i would suggest you to go with ones which have "raised enclosure " kind . ... In addition to guarding the speakers the enclosure design helps produce some bassy effect for those 6*9's. ...
It is better that 6x9s are allowed to play free air (they are designed to do so), instead of cloistering them in enclosures. Unless one has the Thiele Small parameters of the speaker and one uses a good software to calculate the enclosure volume, the results are unpredictable at best if one just creates an enclosure without calculating. The 'bassy effect' is more psychological than real. Reducing a volume of air behind a speaker raises the lowest frequency that a speaker can play, i.e. the speaker will produce less bass than it is capable of.

A better way would be using a couple of MDF spacers below the speakers to ensure the magnet doesn't hang down below the MDF parcel tray.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 18:06   #2350
BHPian

Quote:
Further to what DerAlte has mentioned ,instead of normal MDF with oval rings cutout i would suggest you to go with ones which have "raised enclosure " kind.
Quote:
A better way would be using a couple of MDF spacers below the speakers to ensure the magnet doesn't hang down below the MDF parcel tray.
I was thinking exactly this. I have seen this setup on a friends WagonR with CNG. The ring is made of MDF and is open from the bottom so it wont have a small enclosed air space.

I have made a layout of how it would look.

Not only will it save space, but also more importantly it will protect the speakers against accidental damage when placing things in the boot.
Attached Thumbnails
ICE upgrade : Maruti Swift-mdf-design-raised-speaker-mount.gif  

Last edited by benzinblut : 7th February 2014 at 18:10.
benzinblut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 18:14   #2351
BHPian

Quote:
I have made a layout of how it would look.

This is exactly wat i was talking about. Maybe my description made it sound like a UFO Now these kind of MDF trays are readily available in the shops . So you will be able to check it in person before installation.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 18:15   #2352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking exactly this. ... I have made a layout of how it would look. ...
Yup, that is how it should be.

Quote:
... made it sound like a UFO ...
USB - Unidentifiable Speaker Box

Last edited by DerAlte : 7th February 2014 at 18:18.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 21:51   #2353
BHPian

@benzinblut, wouldn't it be better if the spacer rings to the mdf parcel went downwards in case one wanted to wrap their tray in any material? That way we could have a bigger sealed box for the speakers right below the ray without sacrificing boot space and protecting the driver while we're at it.
wooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 11:43   #2354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
USB - Unidentifiable Speaker Box
Cousin of the CCTB (see link)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...new-q-134.html
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 13:30   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
@benzinblut, wouldn't it be better if the spacer rings to the mdf parcel went downwards in case one wanted to wrap their tray in any material? That way we could have a bigger sealed box for the speakers right below the ray without sacrificing boot space and protecting the driver while we're at it.
Err... @wooka, care to explain what you have tried to describe? There is no 'sealed box' being made here, the mounting area of the speaker is open from below. And, @benzinblut wanted to maximize boot volume by pushing the speakers *up* as far as possible!

"... protecting the driver ..." - from what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Cousin of the CCTB (see link)...
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote