Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th December 2006, 08:37   #241
Senior - BHPian

@roastedwheels, it is a good thing that you have spent well on the wiring.

When you get the speakers changed, you should also listen to the setup with your sub off or disconnected first. Then connect/turn on the sub and dial-in the bass slowly. You will most likely be able to get the correct ambience you want this way.

low_bass_makker has damped the front doors of his Swift. You'll find pics here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/308283-post217.html
This is mostly damping to prevent vibration, but it cuts-down on exterior noise to a good extent.

To really cut (nearly) all external noise, you'll need to spend a whole lot on damping the floors, roof, doors, pillars and boot of your car. At least 10K :-) Going the whole hog may not be really worth it without a very expensive system installed. But damping the doors will make a whole lot of difference.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 08:13   #242

Default Damping Work

Thanks hydrashok.

I would be interested to do the damping. Do you know any dealers who do that kinda work in Chennai or B'lore? I can drive to B'lore if required.
Roastedwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 09:41   #243
Senior - BHPian

@roasted, no idea about chennai, sorry! There should be someone around, that is for sure!

In Bangalore, Auto Fusion at Koramangala (Anwar/Thouqeer) does good work.
Old 25th December 2006, 12:22   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roastedwheels View Post
Thanks hydrashok.

I would be interested to do the damping. Do you know any dealers who do that kinda work in Chennai or B'lore? I can drive to B'lore if required.
No need to go to Bangalore just for damping, Charles from Metal Effects should sort you out easy.

He's also a Boston dealer, so he should be able to help you out with your worries, if any.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 25th December 2006 at 12:23.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 00:34   #245

Default My New Setup Plan - Anything wrong?

Bass&Trouble - Any contact numbers for Charles/Metal Effects? Thanks!

I went to GP Rd (chennai) today, met few people and they were suggesting me Kicker, Morel and Soundstream. The choices are good but it adds to my confusion and I dont have the option of trying those speakers. Hence going by the occams razor..."when all things are equal the simplest explanation tends to be right one", I plan to keep it simple by going with JBL products.

I have already spent 40k (in my earlier setup which I am changing now) and I need to decide before my dealer runs of patience.

Please let me know if anything wrong with this setup ASAP. Keeping it ~40k.

HU: Pio 6850
Front: GTO 607C ( powered by amp)
Rear : GTO 637
Amp: CS 60.4
Sub: 12 in CS 1204T ( powered by amp)
Wiring: JBL

Considering the fact that I prefer music with more clarity than loud bass, the other choice I have is

Front: Infinity Ref 6000cs ( powered by amp) - can stretch the budget to kappa if worth it.
Rear: Infinity Kappa 693.5i (6x9) ( powered by amp)

Awaiting the bhp gurus blessings to take the plunge!
Old 26th December 2006, 08:19   #246
Team-BHP Support

Roastedwheels both your configurations sound really good. I'm having a tough time helping you decide.

But yeah just see what your looking for, If you can sacrifice the bass then the infinity setup is cool.
But if your looking for a little boom boom then go for the JBL and sub setup.

I've heard that infinity's are a little short on bass but not sure as i havent heard for myself.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 08:46   #247
Senior - BHPian

@roasted, like vid6639 said, whichever of the 2 setups you go for, you are quite safe. Very good equipment in both cases.

-- If you don't mind sacrificing bass go for the Infinity setup.

-- If you want bass, go for the JBL (speakers) setup.

-- If you will not spend any more on ICE for another 2 years or so, go for the JBL (speakers setup)

-- If you will be ok with spending another 7000/- in another 10-12 months, go for the Infinity setup and get the tube later. (And get just 6.5" or 5.25" coaxials for the rear instead of 6x9s).
Old 26th December 2006, 10:09   #248

Thanks Guys!

After putting in some more thought, I kinda feel right with this setup.

Front: Infi Kappa 60.5cs (powered by amp)
Rear : GTO 637
Sub: 12 in CS 1204T ( powered by amp)

Going to dealer today, let me see how much more he confuses me with whats in stock and whats not!
Old 26th December 2006, 11:18   #249
Team-BHP Support

Your complete JBL setup was good. Mixing of JBL and infinity I'm not too sure about that. Both cater to different types of sound. Try to have the same brand.
But you could also hear both and if you find it's fine then go for it.
I would generally keep the same brand and same series in the car.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 16:56   #250
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am considering buying a HU from USA. I am considering Alpine 9856. This has inbuild amp(18 W RMS, 50W Peak). Is there any disadvantage of using HU with an inbuilt amp?

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

I am planning to get only the HU from USA, I'll probably go with JBL comps in the front and JBL Coax(6X9s) in the rear. No woofer for now. I may upgrade later.

I am getting the HU for Rs 9K. Should I go for it? or Should I consider any other HU?

Thanks,
Aeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 18:10   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
I am considering buying a HU from USA. I am considering Alpine 9856. This has inbuild amp(18 W RMS, 50W Peak). Is there any disadvantage of using HU with an inbuilt amp?

Not at all. Don't worry. All HUs have inbuilt amps (except for a few hardcore audiophile HU's that cost the moon I guess). You will most likely be able to turn off the internal amp from the HU interface if you will be using an external amp. Turning off the internal amp will be a good idea if you don't need it.

BTW, that looks like a really well specced HU for the money.

No idea of Alpine HU prices, so sorry. But is looks like a good deal. And you should have some info on the price from the other ICErs before tomorrow :-)

Your choice of speakers is good. You will get good sound from the HU & speakers.
Old 26th December 2006, 21:29   #252
Team-BHP Support

the only disadvantage, if you can call it that, is that the space and money used for the amp could have been used for better parts elsewhere (mostly in the transport).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 21:52   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, atleast the higher alpine HU's have the provision of putting the internal amplifier off.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 22:21   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Well, atleast the higher alpine HU's have the provision of putting the internal amplifier off.
As do all Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion higher models... and Kenwood even has it on some mid (under 10k) models...
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 11:01   #255
Senior - BHPian

Default Planning for a easily expandable sytem.

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here. I am planning to have a decent audio system for my swift zxi. Want to have a good HU with aux in, USB port support. (was looking at blaupunkt). Planning for JBL component speakers in the front and co-axials at the rear doors. What do you think about the active sub-woofer from blau ? I dont like boom boom music but should be able to reproduce all frequencies well. I listed to mostly karnataka classical, movie and good english (occasionally boom boom!). Will it be o.k to not have a amp for the speakers now and drive everything off of HU ?

Again, can I place the sub under the front seats. Dont want to use up the rear space.

thanks,
Shiva.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote