Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 2nd January 2007, 00:03   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaroop_babu View Post
Hi guys...
i hav a a swift lxi...i already hav rear speakrs..in the dash...Xplod...dont knw the series though..gotta chek it out...wat i want to knw is...if i go for the component speakers in the fornt..the GTO series...wil i get enuf bass...i mean i drive most of the time...n i feel tht the bass tht the sony gives is only at the rear...i want bass in the front...wat shud i do?
Swaroop, did you mean you have Xplod speakers in the Swift's dash? Now how did you manage that?

Or did you mean that you have an Xplod HU in the dash, and no front speakers just rear speakers? (I'll assume this is what you meant).

For good bass up front, you definitely need component speakers at front. You can fit upto 6.5" midbasses in the stock location in the front door. It would be a good idea to lose the Sonys in the rear as their output may not blend-in with the GTO comps in the front, but that's your call
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:11   #272
Team-BHP Support

bass usually means larger speakers. As Hydra suggested the largest you can easily fit are 6-6.5" dia. There a many 6" components that are available in the market listen to some and then decide.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 16:11   #273

I had JBLd my car this saturday. Thanks to team bhp for all the ICE related info.

HU: pioneer 6850 @ Rs.9000 (gray market.)
front: JBL 607c @ 6500
rear: JBL 637 @ 3950
All the speakers were fitted in the doors only. I think swift comes with wiring in place for all the speakers and the installation guy used the same while fitting the speakers. Do you ppl suggest rewiring? how much that will cost?
I got the installation done at solar shade, hyderabad. any better installer in hyd? (frankly, I did not like the work there.)
The sound is clear. I was thinking of putting an amp and a subwoofer later but after listening for a day. I think its loud enough for me. (I dont listen loud music. Fatboy slim, eminem, Paul Van Dyk etc...)

I have one question here. If I want to go for a sub and amps later. What is the conf that you ppl suggest?

Thanks in advance.
booo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 17:35   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by booo View Post
I think swift comes with wiring in place for all the speakers and the installation guy used the same while fitting the speakers. Do you ppl suggest rewiring? how much that will cost?
The sound is clear. I was thinking of putting an amp and a subwoofer later but after listening for a day.
I have one question here. If I want to go for a sub and amps later. What is the conf that you ppl suggest?
BOO! :-) Welcome to TBHP.

Right now, since you don't have any amps, the stock wiring will be alright. When you add an amp, you can change the speaker wires. It would cost between Rs.60/- to 80/- per feet, depending on the brand you go for. Audison is an expensive option, but the money spent is worth it. Other brands like Scosche are are also fine. You'll need about 40-50 feet total.

Amp: GTO75.4 (@ approx 13K) or CS60.4 (@10k)
Amp Wiring: Buy the JBL (Original ) wiring kit for Rs.3K. Again, watch-out for fakes!!! You can also buy an Audison Kit and additional accessories, but the total power wiring bill will be costlier -- but again, worth the money spent.
RCA Interconnects: You'll need two of these, for the 4 channels. Buy Audison FT2-600 @ Rs.1000/- each. So two of these would be 2000/-. Worth every penny.
Sub: Lots of options here. If you want a pre-done sub box/tube, get the JBL CS1204B (box) or the CS1204T (12" tube) or the 10" tube -- dunno the model no. The Box will be 8K, the 12" tube will be 6.5K and the 10" tube will be 5K. Listen to the box & tube/s separately and decide what sound you like best. Or, you can buy a subwoofer component driver and get a box done -- which is what I would do. If you can mention a budget, we can fix you up here. BTW, If you go for the sub-box (CS1204B), you should get the 75.4 amp.

What is your budget for the total? Do you want to get just a 4ch amp to run the front speakers & sub, or buy a 4ch amp for the speakers and a monobloc/2ch amp for the sub? Let us have a total budget and we will gladly rip it to shreds :-)
Old 8th January 2007, 17:51   #275

Does anyone know what is the price of Alpine CDA-9856 and Pioneer DEH-P5800MP in India with B&W?
Vipul.Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 11:33   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The sound is clear. I was thinking of putting an amp and a subwoofer later but after listening for a day. I think its loud enough for me. (I dont listen loud music. Fatboy slim, eminem, Paul Van Dyk etc...)
1. a sub will also produce low frequencies better than 6" speakers so it not always loudness that is the requrement but how low do you want your bass.

2. Since you have a swift the space for a sub is very limited. I'd even consider a sub using a custom box and 2 8" or 10" woofers instead of a 12". LBM posted a pic of a sub that runs the width of his Zen (I think it was a Zen). I'd copy that.

3. Like Hydra says, change your wires when you install a sub and an amp.
Old 9th January 2007, 17:03   #277

Thanks @hydrashok and @navin
I am planning to spend 15k after 4-5 months.
Old 9th January 2007, 18:53   #278
Senior - BHPian

booo, for 15K, first do the amp (75.4) and wiring, next go for the sub (a few months after, with a new budget).

For total 15K, maybe you can do just a JBL CS60.2 amp (7K) and a 10" JBL Bass tube (5K) with the rest spent on wires. This is if you have a total absolute budget of 15K for both amp and sub.

A better idea would be to spend the 15K on amp and wiring, and then spend another 6K to 9K on a sub a few months later.
Old 10th January 2007, 04:24   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipul.Sharma View Post
price of Alpine CDA-9856 in India with B&W?
Chandrika Electronics (Mumbai) quoted me around Rs. 20,000/- for that unit (give or take).
in USA it cost me @ Rs. 9000/- at Best Buy with bill and 1 year warranty (not international) + i got a pair of 6.5" Dual speakers free!

Last edited by aah78 : 10th January 2007 at 04:26.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 05:10   #280
Team-BHP Support

this is what i've ended up with in the Swift:
  • Head Unit: Alpine CDA-9856 CD/MP3/WMA Receiver
  • Front Door Speakers: Alpine SPS-17C2 Type-S 6-1/2" Coaxial 2-Way Speakers - a very hurried decision which turned out to be wrong (as expected)
  • Rear Door Speakers: JBL GTO637 Grand Touring Series Multi-Element 6-1/2" (160mm) 3-way Loudspeakers
i'm extremely happy with the Alpine CDA-9856 head unit & the JBL GTO637 speakers!

not fully satisfied with the Alpine SPS-17C2 speakers but they do their job. will probably replace them with something better in the future - like the Infinity or Hertz speakers you audio-gurus had recommended. the swivel tweeter seems an interesting concept though.
maybe the Alpine SPR-17LP Type-R that i'd liked earlier or another pair of the JBL GTO637 speakers would have been a better idea.

i was planning a pair of components for the front but decided to go navin's way (FIL's Swift?) and not cut into brand new A-pillars or use sticking tape.

considering the Swift's size i think the current setup matches our requirement perfectly (minus current front speakers). currently everything's running off the head unit (no amplifier installed yet), and no sub-woofer installation planned - the puny rear parcel shelf has destroyed that idea as i don't want a wooden box protruding into premium trunk space.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th January 2007 at 05:32.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 07:05   #281
BANNED

Aah, compos are the best bet for the fronts. Yes, you know that. Regarding cutting and pasting vaghera... There won't be much of that in Swift for 6.5" compos. A good installer will be able to make it look very neat and sound nice too.

Alpine Type S coaxials you have can be used as a supporting speaker in rear fills etc.. It can't make very good as front soundstage. Even a type R coaxial won't suffice.

As you have JBL 637 in the rear, the best blend would be to get 607 compos. They are a bit trebly, but will match good with 637s,
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 11:45   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
i was planning a pair of components for the front but decided to go navin's way (FIL's Swift?) and not cut into brand new A-pillars or use sticking tape.

considering the Swift's size i think the current setup matches our requirement perfectly (minus current front speakers). currently everything's running off the head unit (no amplifier installed yet), and no sub-woofer installation planned - the puny rear parcel shelf has destroyed that idea as i don't want a wooden box protruding into premium trunk space.
My FIL used a 9847 driving 4 637s. I like to keep things stock and unless the modifier's skills and the budget allow me to retain the stock look I am not sold on modifications.

His next upgrade wil be a Pio 6100 or JBL 60.4 driving a pair of Blaupunkt 6.5" tube woofers in the trunk. These subs are not really subwoofers but will add some bottom end to the exisitng bass.

The woofers are smalle enough to be tucked into either side of the swift's trunk and light enough that even my FIL can remove them if he feels the need. I expect to use WBT XLRs so they can be conncted and disconnected quickly (I happen to have 2 XLRs and the woofers in my "garbage dump").
Old 10th January 2007, 13:52   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
booo, for 15K, first do the amp (75.4) and wiring, next go for the sub (a few months after, with a new budget).

For total 15K, maybe you can do just a JBL CS60.2 amp (7K) and a 10" JBL Bass tube (5K) with the rest spent on wires. This is if you have a total absolute budget of 15K for both amp and sub.

A better idea would be to spend the 15K on amp and wiring, and then spend another 6K to 9K on a sub a few months later.
Well, If I go for an amp and wiring, do I need another amp to power the sub later?...
Old 10th January 2007, 14:21   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, If I go for an amp and wiring, do I need another amp to power the sub later?...
Not if you drop-in a 4-ch amp. You can run the fronts and the subs from the amp, and power the rear speakers from the HU.

And if you want to, you can also add another amp (a 2ch or a monobloc) later for just the sub. You'll also need to add another set of RCAs, a D-Block and a little bit of additional power wiring. This way the 4-ch amp will power the front & rear speakers, and the new amp will power the sub. Your call.
Old 13th January 2007, 12:08   #285

Hi everyone ,
Ive got a bare minimum system as of now
1) Head unit : Pioneer 4790
2) Rear Coax: Sony XS-GT6938X

Looking to add to this was thinking of gettin front comps and an amp to run the front and rear speakers . Could you suggest which ones to go in for ? Am looking to spend probably 15k or so . Also u could tell me any other ways to add to the current system.And also where in Chennai is a good place to do all this ?

Thanks
thelastride is offline   Reply With Quote