Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 3rd April 2007, 14:42   #346
BHPian

Hi everyone
I joined this forum around a week back and since then have read many many thread inculding this one. i ve seen that ppl are very passionate here.

I m goinge for White Ldi . Please suggest an ICE for it n c if the ones i ve mentioned are ok.i have gathererd these model no frm the recommendations made in this thread.
Budget is 15k max ( thats the max to which it can be extended )

I won't be putting ne sub...

HU : Pioneer 6850 --- 8 k

Speakers : Rear : tray is not an option .will go for the door speakers.
Coax 6.5 inch either frm JBL or Hertz.
Model no :
JBL GTO637 / JBL GTO636e / Hertz DCX co-axial / JBL GTO637

Front : I can go for Component but i am not sure abt the amplifier part. are the components worth it if i don't go for amplifire in the future as well.
also the tweeter part is little disturbing. i want to maintain the stock look of the car as much as i can.so position of tweeter is confusing.

JBL GTO606CE / Hertz DSK130 / Hertz DSK165 /JBL CS2165C (6.5")
/ JBL GTO637

Thanks
austere_sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 16:18   #347
Senior - BHPian

@austere, it looks like you've done your research. You know what to look for. The models you've mentioned are good choices.

But, out of a 15K budget, you've used 8K for the HU, and so you have only 7K left for speakers. If you'd like to keep within that budget, the only choice you'd have is the JBL CS2165c comps (@5K) in front and CS2165 (@3.5K) co-axes in back. The total will exceed 15K, but if bought from the same place, it will reduced somewhat.

You had best go for comps in front if you can get them in your budget. The tweeter can be mounted on the lowest part of the A Pillar or on the dash (near the A Pillar & the windshield).

The CS2165c comps will do well enough run off the HU. Later, if you want to, you can add a JBL CS60.4 amp (@ 8K) or a Pio 6200 (@7K) and complete your system.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 00:18   #348
Senior - BHPian

one thing more I can suggest here that go for a later series HU like 6950 or 5950...as they are direct IPOD ready if you have a IPOD....also I would suggest listen to a sub setup (I know you dont want sub) to hear the difference...as with a sub the overall sound does make it quite real.....so right now go for a HU and a good component kit in the front....dont forget the swift can take a 6.5 inch one in the door with a wooden spacer....and later on add sub and amp to complete the setup....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 18:52   #349
BHPian

Though I dont really have a good ear to notice minute differences between different types of music, but I felt the JBL GTO series sound much better than the CS series;
CheeseGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 23:26   #350
BHPian

I had a hunch that asking you people would make me defenitely exceed my budget , so i think now i have to take the time tested path of one by one upgradation. First a HU and a Component speakers.

Ipod compatiblity of a HU is not important. I don't really like ipods. In my opinion they are overpriced for lesser features . That again is a personal feel and no offence apple lovers. A front aux in for Sony Ericsson phone and creative player will be just sufficient.
Should i get the front and rear speakers from different company like hertz and jbl , so that ICE fits in my budget ?.

Will defenitely check out a subwoofer sysyem , but installation of it is on hold for the time being.

Just a query abt sub. Since i don't want a tray and have read about woofer in enclosure, which is of removable kind.

Does anyone of you know any place which can give a demo of the install which i will go for. All places i have checked so far don't give demo.

@lbm : You mentioned car can take a 6.5" with a spacer. Doesn't the car come with only 6" speaker provision.

Now this may sound really amateurish....wat is a wooden spacer ?

I hope that i pass moderator test this time. i have failed on last two occasion due to the SMS language used.

Thanks.

Note from the Support Staff: Please don't use text formatting tags
Old 6th April 2007, 02:33   #351
BHPian

Smile Thnak You Guys

Thanks a lot guys i brought a JBL GTO75.4 as some of the ICE gurus suggested over here and done the whole installation again from Anwar(Auto Fusion) yesterday using EFX wiring kit and now there is a sea of improvements and i would really like to appreciate the quality of installation it is really neat and clean.
vijay_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 08:56   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
A front aux in for Sony Ericsson phone and creative player will be just sufficient.
Then the 2007 lineup of Pios should be just the thing for you. They have an aux-in socket right on the faceplate. As l_b_m suggested above, the 6950 would be a good choice (@ about 8.5K).

Quote:
Should i get the front and rear speakers from different company like hertz and jbl , so that ICE fits in my budget ?.
Better not mix and match. Just wait about a month extra and you should be able to get front & rear speakers of the same make & model, right? All good things come to those who wait

Quote:
Will defenitely check out a subwoofer sysyem , but installation of it is on hold for the time being.
If you do plan on this, ideally get a HU with 3 pre-outs, so you can power the subwoofer form the sub-out. Also, stick to 6.5" coaxials for the rear (Ovals will be a waste once you get a sub).

Quote:
Just a query abt sub. Since i don't want a tray and have read about woofer in enclosure, which is of removable kind.
Yes. A sub-in-a-box can be setup to be removable when you want the boot space. You can buy such a solution off the shelf (like the JBL GTO 1204B) or buy a sub-driver and build a box (which would be cheaper, but would need a lot of care and attention to box design, construction and material).

Quote:
Does anyone of you know any place which can give a demo of the install which i will go for. All places i have checked so far don't give demo.
Chances of getting an in-car demo are slim in most places. Unless you have the system all hooked up, and all you want is a demo of a HU with your existing speakers, or a demo of an active sub etc.

Quote:
@lbm : You mentioned car can take a 6.5" with a spacer. Doesn't the car come with only 6" speaker provision.

Now this may sound really amateurish....wat is a wooden spacer ?
Yep. The provision is for 6". But a spacer (a 1/2"-odd thick circular ring that is put between the speaker and the bodypanel at the time of installation) will let you use a 6.5" speaker.[/quote]

Quote:
I hope that i pass moderator test this time. i have failed on last two occasion due to the SMS language used.

Last edited by hydrashok : 6th April 2007 at 08:57.
Old 8th April 2007, 23:12   #353

Hi Gurus,

I am amazed by the wealth of information avaialble in this forumn. truly great!!!!!

team-bhp was pretty helpful for me to zero in on my Swift VXI which I got a week back.

After going through the Audio posts, here is the conf that I have arrived upon. My budget is around and upto 12 K
Blau(MP 26) HU for 7750

For front Blau IC 122 / JBL 2165 ( Any suggestions in this??)

for back, BLAU GTX 173 (suggested by the dealer)
I dont want to go for ovals on the rear and would like to use the rear door speaker slots.

Let me know your suggestions. I am not the sort of guy who listens to hard rock.

I can prob get some additional wiring harness too , i guess.

Thinking of getting it done by the car dealer himself as they say , the electrical warranty may become void in the other case.

thanks in advance guys.
fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 23:42   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke View Post
Thinking of getting it done by the car dealer himself as they say , the electrical warranty may become void in the other case.

thanks in advance guys.
You get a harness/socket whatever that fits into your stock socket thingy.Use this,..you can buy it for about Rs 200.With this there is absolutely no way that your dealer will dishonour your warranty.

And get your install done outside
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 00:01   #355
BHPian

Try JBLGTO636 for all speakers they are 3 way coaxial. should come at or less than 6k. and i guess will be better than Blaupunkt. Ask more informed people how Blaupunkt HU will go with JBL speakers.
Old 9th April 2007, 00:41   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke View Post
... My budget is around and upto 12 K
Blau(MP 26) HU for 7750
For front Blau IC 122 / JBL 2165 ( Any suggestions in this??)
for back, BLAU GTX 173 (suggested by the dealer)

Welcome to TBHP ICE, fluke
The Blau model was not mentioned to you? MP26 is the add-on to the model name. You're probably getting a "Mumbai" from the price quoted. If you are, you're ok.

The IC122s were discontinued quite a while back (I used to run them in my front about 3 years back). They are old stock, if your dealer suggested them. The JBL CS2165 is a current speaker and is quite good for the price.

The GTx173 is a reasonably good pair. You can also use them in the front also (they are 6.5" coaxials). Also try THx172 from Blau. The THx is way better than the GTx. Listen to the choices you have at the dealer's and decide.

If you get 6.5" coaxials for the rear, you can use the door slots itself.

12K is a bit low for a HU and a pair of speakers. 2 pairs of JBL CS2165s would be about 7000/- and the Blau HU is 7750/- so the total is 14750/-. Maybe you can look at a Pio 4950 HU for about 6K? That should about fit in the budget.

Last edited by hydrashok : 9th April 2007 at 00:44.
Old 9th April 2007, 02:50   #357
BHPian

For JBL 6 Inch Car Loudspeaker - CS2165 at Rs 2950
Shop Online; Gift in India: JBL 6 Inch Car Loudspeaker - CS2165 Car Audio Buy mobile phones Gift Flowers Buy Indian Apparel Buy Books in India Buy Cameras

For JBL 6-1/2 Inch (160mm) 3-Way Loudspeaker - GTO637 at Rs 3950
Shop Online; Gift in India: JBL 6-1/2 Inch (160mm) 3-Way Loudspeaker - GTO637 Car Audio Buy mobile phones Gift Flowers Buy Indian Apparel Buy Books in India Buy Cameras

@Hydrashock : By seeing the price and 3 way compared to 2 way , i think GTO637 is better of the two.
I have learnt that for those who want to drve their speakers via HU only should have speakers with larger impedance. GTO637 has 92 dB and CS2165 has 91 dB. How much diff can this 1 dB possibily make ?

what should impedance of a speaker ideally be ? Lower or Higher

@Fluke : I think that GTO636 is model is no longer in production and GTO637 has been launched to replace it.website coated price is Rs 3950 as mentioned above. I guess it would be available at market for less than that.
Old 9th April 2007, 11:34   #358

hydrashok,
the blau HU is mumbai, i forgot to mention in the post.

I had been to sachin's "Autoshop" in koramangala. It was he who suggested to use IC122s . Prob i should have mentioned that i am in team-BHP.

JBL 2165 was quoted at 2600.
i should prob look at 2165 on the front and GTx173/THx172 at the rear.

austere_sly,
GTO637 seems to be a little on the higher end in terms of my budget. Will enquire on the price and see if it fits in.

Thanks guys for the advice.
fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 17:03   #359
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Question

Hey guys,

Me also planning for a nice music system for my car..but tight on budget..

I did fair amount of R&D on speakers and finally found that for my needs its enough if i have 4 JBL 637s on each doors..though i am still open for suggestions..

But i am slightly confused abt the head unit.

Since i am tight on budget, i dont want to spend on sub woofer and amp etc.. Just 4 speakers and a HU.

I am considering Blaupunkt MP26( Mumbai?)

It says its I Pod ready..dunno what it means..but i am not too keen on buying an IPOD just for the sake of music player

But i like to use my USB pen drive...load songs and play whenever i want..
Will MP26 support this?

Also what are the other players in this range which can support USB ?

i have heard of Sony, pioneer(i guess only grey market will come in this price range)

I am sceptical abt buying grey market stuff..so thinking of blaupunkt..plz help
rajshenoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 17:17   #360
Senior - BHPian

@rajshenoy one GTO637 per door will be fine. Unless you want to try components in the front doors. They will be a bit more costly (GTO607c at about 6.5K), but will give a better front stage. Decide with your budget in mind.

The Blau Mumbai is iPod ready. But you need Blau's proprietary iPod interface (about 5.5K) to get the job done completely. ANd the interface is not that good -- I tried it for some time on my Blau Casablanca and gave it back.

For iPod and USB compatibility, the 2007 lineup of Pioneers will be good. You wll still need their cables to get the connectivity done. A Pio 6950 would be about 8K w/o B&W. I think there are some Kenwood HUs at about 10K that take USN input directly, without any additional cable. No idea of model numbers, though. Blau units with USB input are pretty costly (starting at about 16K) and are not very VFM at the B&W prices.