Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th October 2006, 20:25   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Just one question - Melody itni choclatey kyun hai ??
I agree with hydrashok.Only he has 'tasted' it more recently than any of us.

Coming back to topic,i must congratulate VCM for choosing infinty+alpine.SQ club is getting bigger and bigger!!!!!
But i would like to raise few queries to VCM for.....
1.Why JBL at back?Go for infinty 6x9 2-way.Its always nice to have all spk from same brand.
2.You have not chosen any sub and only going for 6x9"?If u r NEVER going to add subw later then why r u going for expensive HU with 3pairs of preamp outs?You can always chose HU with just 1/2 preouts and u will be fine and can save even 10k by chosing pio HU for abt 6-7k[but w/o B&W]
3.umm...adding sony amp to this set-up will be great injustice to infinty/alpine brands.If u r never going for subw[point2],add those money saved from HU and buy some really good amp for abt 15-20k.Look for alpine,audison etc.
4.Go for 6.5" size front door spk especially if not going for sub.You may have to take the help of spacer.[LBM would know this as he has swift]
5.For ur set-up,save little for damping too.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 28th October 2006 at 20:28.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 20:50   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd like to add that the infinity reference compos will unfortunately clearly reflect every fault in that Sony Amplifier. Don't do it mate.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 22:15   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCM
Thanks hydrashock, iraghava.
@hydrashock, yes, JBL will be bit bright. But, since i will be driving the car, almost always, i think the front sound-stage should take care of that, Right?
Exactly! And this is also why we all want you to amp the fronts well. You can even consider going for 6 1/4in JBLs (installed in the rear door stock pods) and then use the difference saved (between 6x9 JBLs and 6 1/4 in JBLs) towards the amp. You won't regret it.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 22:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharunjd
I have a Kenwood kdc5029 head unit with Jbl 6" Cs series front speakers and JBLGTO937 2ohms speakers behind. I fixed sony xm-552zr amp for the rear JBLs. the sound is great with good bass but the amp failed in 1 hr of usage and i got it replaced. The new amp has also failed. Why is this happenin....the manual says that the amp is suited for 2ohm speakers. Can anyone help me. I have a 4 ohm pioneer 12" sub idle...is it a good idea to fix it also to this amp. Will the extra ohms make a diff to the amp. SOmeone Help
tharun, could you say what exactly happened to the amp? What did the installer tell you?

I think the problem could be with the wiring. What kind of power wires are you using? Did the amp's fuse blow?

It is also possible (I think) that the speaker wires may have got crossed/shorted someplace. I have heard that if this happens in the post-amp stage, the amp fries.

Is your install DIY, or did you get it installed someplace?

And is this a new car with a fresh install, or has the amp been installed into a previously wired set-up?

Did the speakers give proper output earlier when connected to the HU (if they were connected earlier)?

The guy who installed it should be able to shoot the problem. And I think it would be a good idea NOT to connect the speakers to the HU without getting a qualified guy to look at the wiring. Or you may brick the HU too.
Old 29th October 2006, 03:07   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Also check if any one of the terminals is perhaps touching the metal body of the car (if the cut is too tight)
Old 29th October 2006, 19:26   #111
VCM

Thumbs up ICE for my Swift

Thankyou very much for the response, Gurus. And sorry for the delayed response.

@Sam, The only reason i thought of going for Sony was for saving cost. If it is going to be at the expense of SQ, then i am not doing it. I will definitely have a look at JBL. And your advice please. I'm but cost conscious here, i am not for too much of power. i only need HU to give me music, instead of sound. And i am doing it at CATS chennai. Got their contact from fxaudio site. Know some one there?

@rsjaurr, thanks for your comment mate. I thought of going for 6X9, only because, i thought of doing away with sub. But it also makes sense to have a nice 61/2 in door panels, for now, and go for upgradation (Sub) later. (Now i'm getting into the groove). And, yes, if it requires damping, then i will do it. Any cheap options?....

Thanks
VCM
VCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:11   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
I agree with Hydrashok here you would be better off fitting a JBL 60.4 or 75.4 considering the rest of the components of your system are pretty high-end. A Sony 554 would not do justice to the rest of the setup.
The 554 is kinda grainy. The 60.4 run about 9K. Another alternate is the Pio 6100/6200 that cost about 7K.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:13   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCM
TAnd i am doing it at CATS chennai. Got their contact from fxaudio site. Know some one there?
Yeah, there's a lovely gentleman there called Sridhar. Tell him you are my friend and that will sort you out very well.
Old 2nd November 2006, 14:44   #114
VCM

Thumbs up My Swift install

Thanks Navin, Sam.

I think, instead of going for an inferior sony/pioneer amp, i will wait for a month, and have a JBL. For now, i will have just the HU(9857), infi comp for front and JBL 61/2 for the rear.

Sam, i am dealing with Sridhar. Thanks for the help.

and one last query, do i go for a JBL in the rear or go for all infinity set-up. (Ofcourse, Navin, i will listen). My preferences is more towards SQ than bass.

Thanks very much for the help.
VCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 22:46   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCM
and one last query, do i go for a JBL in the rear or go for all infinity set-up. (Ofcourse, Navin, i will listen). My preferences is more towards SQ than bass.
VCM,

As you told that you are going for JBL amp then why not JBLfy your car by adding JBL for front.

Mugen.
Mugen_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:39   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power
As you told that you are going for JBL amp then why not JBLfy your car by adding JBL for front.
JBL and Infinity are owned by Harman Intl.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:45   #117

Gurus,

As per your suggestion, I'm planning to go for Pioneer HU and JBL speakers (combination of component and co-axial) in my swift. But a friend of mine was mentioning that oval speakers are better than the round one. Can I install oval speakers in my Swift? Also, how should I install (rather, where) component and co-axial speakers? Component in the front or vice versa?

Here is what I have in my mind, (pls note that I don't need boom boom music)

1. Pioneer HU - (Pls suggest the model number). And how's Blaupunkt?(model number)?
2. JBL component speakers - Front - (Model number pls )
3. JBL Co-Axial speakers - Rear - (Model number pls ) or any other brand?

Please let me know how much does this kinda setup cost. My budget is aropund 15K. Also, I'll be going to UK for a very short official trip. Can I get better quality stuff from there? Are these stuff expensive there?

Waiting for your advice..
Thanks
MeloD
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:43   #118
Team-BHP Support

Melody,

Your setup looks good. For the pioneer HU go for model 6850 it will fit your budget nicely.

The swift takes door speakers on all its 4 doors. You dont necessarily have to go for the rear parcel mdf tray and mount coaxial 6X9's if your not looking for boom boom music. you wont hamper boot space this way too.

You can opt for a very simple setup of putting compos in the front GTO507 or GTO607 and coaxial round speakers in the rear doors either GTO527 or GTO637.

I am not sure the sixe the swift can accomodate in the doors.

Sam will be able to help you out on the JBL speakers and the sizes.

With the above setup you have good options of upgrading later like an amp and a subwoofer.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:53   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody
<snip>
----- But a friend of mine was mentioning that oval speakers are better than the round one. Can I install oval speakers in my Swift? Also, how should I install (rather, where) component and co-axial speakers? Component in the front or vice versa?

Here is what I have in my mind, (pls note that I don't need boom boom music)

1. Pioneer HU - (Pls suggest the model number). And how's Blaupunkt?(model number)?
2. JBL component speakers - Front - (Model number pls )
3. JBL Co-Axial speakers - Rear - (Model number pls ) or any other brand?

----. My budget is aropund 15K. Also, I'll be going to UK for a very short official trip. Can I get better quality stuff from there? Are these stuff expensive there? </snip>
Melody, since you are not going in for a sub, you can consider getting 6x9s (Ovals) for rear fill. 6x9s will give you a little more bass than 6.5"ers. You will need to install them on a parcel tray. The Swift's stock tray will not take them (too thin). You will need an MDF tray (you installer will have one). The swift will take only 6.5 in rounds in the rear door pods. You should not cut your rear door panel and fit the 6x9s there.

HU: I always suggest Blaupunkt first. Try the Bahamas. Should be about Rs.8-9K. I think they have a stripped down version called "Mumbai" now, for 7K. Not too sure about pricing, though. If you prefer, Pioneer, the 4850 would be what willl agree with your total budget (at under Rs.7K, if i'm not mistaken).

Front components: JBL is an excellent choice for speakers. Go for CS2165C (6.5"). Just launched a week back. They should run to about 4990/- I saw in one of Sam's earlier posts that they are available in Bangalore just now. If you want save a little and buy co-axials, go for CS2165 (6.5"). But I would (and nearly everyone here would) recommend that you go for components. The model (of comps) I just mentioned are their entry level comps and are really great VFM. Sam was saying that except for the fact that the crossover is an inline one, you are basically getting the GTO607s here.

Rear fill: You don't need components here. Co-axials will do fine. If you plan on 6x9s, go for CS3196. The 3196 should be around Rs.5K -- I'm not too sure. If you would like 6.5" rounds, go for CS2165. I'm not sure about their price, but I guess they should be around Rs.4K

The speakers will eat Rs.9K to 10K. That leaves Rs.5K to Rs.6K. Choose the HU accordingly. If you can extend the budget by about 2K to a total of 17K, I think you will be able to get a really good HU to go with the excellent speakers. If you don't plan at all to go in for a sub later, you'll need just one set of pre-outs for later. All HUs in this range will fit in.

If you fit just the HU & speakers, install should be free. You may need to haggle and get the MDF tray (about Rs. 800 to 1k) fitted into the deal, if you plan for 6x9s (which I think you should).

I don't think bringing stuff in from the UK will give you an advantage, price-wise. And that way you will need to pay to get the install done for sure (buying the stuff here may get you a free install from the shop). And then there is the advantage of getting a warranty for stuff bought here.

Last edited by hydrashok : 3rd November 2006 at 12:55.
Old 3rd November 2006, 14:01   #120
Team-BHP Support

Here you go. i remembered Sam mentioning that the swift acconodates 6" in all it's doors:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/97777-post34.html

This should be good.

As hydrashok mentioned go for the new JBL CS2165C for your front components. this is the best bet.

Hydrashok i believe the CS2165C is the same as the GTO6506C albeit with the inline crossover.

For the rear you have 2 options.

1. If your looking for more bass from your sound then you have to go for 6X9 coaxials mounted on a tray in the rear. CS3196 or GTO9379(more expensive) are good buys.

2. You can use this option if you need boot to be free and are looking for clean looks. The swift has speaker pods in the rear door too and you can put in 6" coaxials like GTO637. You wont get the same effect as the 6X9's i.e. you will get lesser bass or thump.

Budget wise 15K is very tight but thats what the ICE section at T-BHP is here for making sure you don't meet your budget.

It wont cross by a big margin and it will be worth it.

edit:sorry hydrashok think i repeated quite a lot of stuff you have already mentioned as i had pressed reply and was idle for an hour. didn't see your post thats why.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd November 2006 at 14:05.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote