Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2007, 10:57   #1186
BHPian
 
RufRoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 259
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

@tachobells: The price quoted on the JBL's look too low to be original, that's more than a couple of hundreds lower than the competition. Would advice you to stay away but then make your decision wisely. He could probably just be starting his business and so is taking a cut, just to attract customers. But somehow still suspicious of those quoted prices.
RufRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 18:33   #1187
BHPian
 
tachobells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 115 Times
Default

thanks RufRoc..
Is there any way I can spot a fake? Is there a hologram or something?
tachobells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 10:33   #1188
BHPian
 
RufRoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 259
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

@tachobells: I'm sorry but I'm not aware of how to spot a fake (I assume just the look and feel would give it away). You could probably search in the section 'Ask the Gurus', you might find information on this. In the meantime, if I come across that thread I'll message you.
RufRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 16:54   #1189
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 2,222
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
The prices are much less than what I've seen anywhere in these forums. The shopkeeper says JBL duplicates are not seen anywhere, mostly pioneer/sony fakes are seen.
They are probably used.

Regarding the fakes he is right, sony/pioneer duplicates are sold a dime a dozen as this is what the janta is after. Whereas there is no fake JBL segment.

Id be weary of this guy as his prices are way too low even for grey. Plus free install so where is he making his money ?
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 17:16   #1190
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Hey thanks rocksterraghu..i ll definately listen to the sound before buying them
Will the headunit from my 800 do ?JVC KDG-334??
Also the front speakers as u mentioed cost 6k so are they higher watt ones and the rear ones cost 4.5 k so are they lower watt ones compared to the front ones?
Btw i will need the boot most of the time as this will car will be used for travelling the length and breadth of india.So is there any other way other than the dabbas i can do to give me the boot space?
Mere sawalo ka koi javab de do bhai..!!
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 00:26   #1191
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Will the headunit from my 800 do ?JVC KDG-334??
Also the front speakers as u mentioed cost 6k so are they higher watt ones and the rear ones cost 4.5 k so are they lower watt ones compared to the front ones?
Btw i will need the boot most of the time as this will car will be used for travelling the length and breadth of india.So is there any other way other than the dabbas i can do to give me the boot space?
I haven't tried that HU, so I don't know. But the gurus say JVC HUs are very good VFM - It must be true.

Your front speakers are better than rear - don't go by the wattages. Since you drive most of the time, components in the front would be a better option.

If boot space is very important and you've already decided to modify the door panels, you can get 6.5" co-axials for the rear mounted on rear doors. However, I don't know how good an idea that is. It is just my suggestion.

For 6X9s, you can get an MDF tray - which would reduce some height, but you can always keep some light luggage on the MDF tray.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 13:22   #1192
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default

Thanks raghu for the reply.But i want better speakers in the rear as i like the rear listening effect more than the front.Its like i want big speakers in the rear and little less powerful ones in the front.So from the speakers u have mentioned can i interchange their postions from the rear to the front and front to the rear?
And about the coaxials.Are pioneer ovals co axials?I have them in my 800 right now in the boot i really like their sound.
I want the same kind of setup or better one for the swift
Requirments as i said
Large speakers behind in the boot.
and comparitively smaller ones in the front.
An amplifier to go with the setup
and lastly a place where i can buy all this from.I stay at ghatkopar but i can go anywhere to get this stuff as long as its original.
And preferably JBL.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 12:58   #1193
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hello to all the Gurus:

I had posted on this forum sometime back when I had just got my Swift. I wanted to know if I should go for Blaupunkt or Pioneer HU, and the speakers combination for the same. I just went to a dealer in Andheri (E) for some quotes and I did not feel very confident after interacting with the guy. Here the quotes that he gave me:

Head Unit:
Pio 5990 - INR 8240 (with B&W)
Pio 6950 - INR 6600 (grey market)
Pio 7950 - INR 9500 (grey market)
Blaupunkt M46 - INR 8400 (with B&W)

Which one is good out of these? Can you recommend?

Speakers:
He said that JBL speakers are not good at all, and same is the case with Blaupunkt. On my insistence, he has given me the quotes for the following:

Kicker 6930 - INR 5700 (He was pushing for these speakers saying that the sound is very good. He said that Kicker is a Swedish company though I am hearing this name for the first time)

GTO 937 - INR 3400 (He said there is a lot of problem with these. Is this true?)

Front Speaker 6":
Pioneer for INR 1250
GTO637 for INR 2900

Wooden Ring - INR 200
Wooden Tray - INR 475
Deck Harness - INR 150
( I asked him for branded cables, et al, but he showed me a box and said that they use these cables in all cars)
Fitting Charges - INR 250

I asked him for suggestions but he left me completely confused. I forgot to ask him about coamps vs speakers, coz I was not clear about them myself. But I am hoping that he addressed that in the recommendations that he gave me.

Can you tell me what HU-Speakers is a good combination? He was pushing for the Blaupunkt head unit and saying that it has the best sound quality. Is it worth given the sound quality or should I go with Pioneer 6950 that is being recommended on this forum? My budget is 30k max.

Thanks in advance for your kind help. I am still not decided on the final set up, and that is why I am posting here to know your suggestion. In INR 30000, what is the best set up that I can go for?

Look forward to your suggestions.
gk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 13:48   #1194
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk78 View Post
He said that Kicker is a Swedish company
Lol. Either you or the dealer is awfully confused between DLS and Kicker.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 15:53   #1195
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Yes, I think the dealer confused it with DLS. I found out through web search that Kicker is a US brand. Anyways, I did not know about both DLS and Kicker.
gk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 00:23   #1196
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Awaiting a reply ...

Hi Guys,
I am awaiting your reply please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk78 View Post
Hello to all the Gurus:

I had posted on this forum sometime back when I had just got my Swift. I wanted to know if I should go for Blaupunkt or Pioneer HU, and the speakers combination for the same. I just went to a dealer in Andheri (E) for some quotes and I did not feel very confident after interacting with the guy. Here the quotes that he gave me:

Head Unit:
Pio 5990 - INR 8240 (with B&W)
Pio 6950 - INR 6600 (grey market)
Pio 7950 - INR 9500 (grey market)
Blaupunkt M46 - INR 8400 (with B&W)

Which one is good out of these? Can you recommend?

Speakers:
He said that JBL speakers are not good at all, and same is the case with Blaupunkt. On my insistence, he has given me the quotes for the following:

Kicker 6930 - INR 5700 (He was pushing for these speakers saying that the sound is very good. He said that Kicker is a Swedish company though I am hearing this name for the first time)

GTO 937 - INR 3400 (He said there is a lot of problem with these. Is this true?)

Front Speaker 6":
Pioneer for INR 1250
GTO637 for INR 2900

Wooden Ring - INR 200
Wooden Tray - INR 475
Deck Harness - INR 150
( I asked him for branded cables, et al, but he showed me a box and said that they use these cables in all cars)
Fitting Charges - INR 250

I asked him for suggestions but he left me completely confused. I forgot to ask him about coamps vs speakers, coz I was not clear about them myself. But I am hoping that he addressed that in the recommendations that he gave me.

Can you tell me what HU-Speakers is a good combination? He was pushing for the Blaupunkt head unit and saying that it has the best sound quality. Is it worth given the sound quality or should I go with Pioneer 6950 that is being recommended on this forum? My budget is 30k max.

Thanks in advance for your kind help. I am still not decided on the final set up, and that is why I am posting here to know your suggestion. In INR 30000, what is the best set up that I can go for?

Look forward to your suggestions.
gk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 10:55   #1197
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk78 View Post
Hi Guys, I am awaiting your reply please help!
From what you have written, IMHO you should look go to some other dealer. Such expressions come from a dealer / retailer only when they are interested in pushing what they want to offload. Or he is getting better margins from other brands, especially the ones that come in gray variety only.

From the posts of happy users - tons of them - you would have realized that there is nothing wrong with JBL or Blaupunkt speakers. Genuine Pio speakers are just about OK, but quite likely at the prices quoted to you, he might be passing on fakes to you.

Your budget is good enough to get a good set of HU + components in front + coax rear + amp, maybe even a moderate sub.

If you are averse to risk and cost of failure, go for Blaupunkt HU, with JBL or Blaupunkt speakers. If not, Pio HU is VFM - lots of features for the price.

For speakers you have other alternatives like Illusion (PM B&T), Hertz and Alpine.

In any case, audition first before deciding - your ears should be the best judge of what you want.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 13:57   #1198
BHPian
 
Magma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

@GK78
all the fitting charges and labour as mentioned are OK
the JBL937 for 3400 bucks look to be too cheap if hes giving you bill and warranty ( should be about 3900-4500) - what he is probably gonna do is give you bill and warranty card that is NOT valid ( for it to be valid there should be 2 copies and most importantly the box must have an import sticker)

if its grey 3400rs is too expensive ( it shud be 2650 - 2850rs) - these are good speakers

I would prefer pioneer HU's ( the 5950 is the best bet for 5800-6000 bucks gery) its good VFM and would leave you a good amount of cash for the all important speakers and amp ( if you so choose)

Personally i have not been able to find Hertz sppeakers in mumbai but have been blown away by Illusion and Ground Zero ( Mr B&t). Alpines rock too but were out of my budget but will definetley be within yours



You have a very good budget ( at least better than mine)
You can do mch better than pioneer and Blaupunkt speakers so please consider options by Der Alte

If you like JBL
try the GTO 607 component for the front ( B&W only 5600-6000rs)
and the GTO 937 rear (grey 2800rs)
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 20:51   #1199
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 55
Thanked: 3 Times
Default ICE for Swift

Hi,

After going through all the "10 Risks" and feeling there is already an overflow of info, still I want to post queries which are specific to my requirements. And will love to live those "10 risks" for next few days . Kindly bear the fact that am a complete newbie out here and this is my first post.

And ya did i say, am an ICE newbie as well? Following that "its a sony" line, had put in Sony HU and Sony Xplod speakers in my previous cars and this time want to try different and real kewl with my Swift. Hence the need for Guru-Gyan!

Okay, going by the protocol, here are the basic requirements thats i have:

1. Your Car: Maruti Swift VDI

2. Your current setup (If any): None as such.

3. Your Budget: 20K

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Meee!!

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): All kinds of music from hip-hop to rock to hard metal...bollywood, underground everything...the main thing i look for is - Good bass, excellent clarity (with all notes distinguishable) and even when the volume knob is rotated to its right-most limit, the speakers shoudln't feel like getting stressed enuf to cough! Hope am not being too demanding!!



Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : ummm, a tough choice but No, going by the need we have for boot space, i dont think sacrifice is possible

Now, after this query session, herez me briefing out few of my thoughts:

HU: Pls suggest me a good HU with USB drive support. I have used Sony all the time, but now want to move to something different. Looked at Kenwood and JVC in stores here, but seems Pioneer is a winner in these forums. I would love to know all the alternatives that are possible till 8K, with their pros and cons if possible. And there is always some product in any catagory on which Gurus will lay hands even when blinded. Which one is that in case of HUs? And what makes it THE ONE?

Speakers: Am planning to do 6" for front and 6x9 for rear with tray. And all i need is clarity and amazing bass (ok, not a sub level bass but still something punchy). Dealers here say anything from 460 watt Pioneer to 210 watt JBLs. Isn't the more the better in this case? Am NOT going to use a sub as the one i saw here, from Fusion, would occupy half my boot space and no one in family is going to agree to that. Hence all I have are my dear speakers and your advice on getting really lovable ones!

Amp: Awww tricky point! Ok, being a bit ICE naive, i would put it this way - Do i actually need an Amp to have a good loud clear sound? How much it will help with for eg. 150 W in front and 300 W in rear speakers? And if it will help, then guys, am clueless about 'em...drive me out to a good and not-too-costly one (around 4-6K)

So thats enough of queries i guess . Will love to hear from all you guys and as i said, want to live those "10 risks" going ahead...n hope no one minds any naivity which got visible

Thanks

Note from the Support Staff: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thread merged with existing.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th December 2007 at 23:48. Reason: See note.
maverickzCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 10:44   #1200
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickzCar View Post
1. Your Car: Maruti Swift VDI
2. Your current setup (If any): None as such.
3. Your Budget: 20K
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Meee!!
5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): All kinds of music
6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? :No

HU: Pls suggest me a good HU with USB drive support.

Speakers: Am planning to do 6" for front and 6x9 for rear with tray.
Amp: drive me out to a good and not-too-costly one (around 4-6K)
HU: Pioneer (Alpine with USB support might not fit your budget) 7950 8-9K
Speakers: Infinity, Illusion, Hertz 10-11K.
you can add an amp later (think 8-10K for a good amp, it's intall and RCA cables). it is better to have good speakers now then have to replace them later when you add an amp.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICE ICE Baby!!!!!!!!(Swift ICE) scarlet.fever In-Car Entertainment 21 23rd September 2009 20:25
ICE Upgrade in Hydra's Hatch II (Swift Zxi) - Alpine, Image Dynamics, TRU Tech hydrashok In-Car Entertainment 239 26th July 2009 11:54
Pimping My Ride Swift ICE Upgrade vrrraju In-Car Entertainment 34 28th January 2009 15:13
ICE Upgrade-Swift JBL'ed thirst4torque In-Car Entertainment 4 13th March 2008 12:21
swift ICE upgrade - come share my joy :) ibcool In-Car Entertainment 20 18th October 2007 13:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks