Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 12th December 2007, 13:40   #1201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
HU: Pioneer (Alpine with USB support might not fit your budget) 7950 8-9K
Speakers: Infinity, Illusion, Hertz 10-11K.
you can add an amp later (think 8-10K for a good amp, it's intall and RCA cables). it is better to have good speakers now then have to replace them later when you add an amp.
Thanks Navin.

Infact I spent the whole night reading thru many posts in ICE section! And further from the recommendations you gave me, I have come to the following conclusions (and doubts):

HU: Pioneer 7950. Actually I have seen sony and kenwood giving some cd skipping issues even on light bumps. Hence want to know is Pioneer 7950 good in that respect or is it something else which makes it really good?
Also, i read in one of your posts that you praised Blau also (for its A.S.S.)...is it possible for you to let me know any specific models in this price which i can compare with 7950?

Amp: Am still confused. Will I need an amp for 4 speakers (and NO sub)? The speakers am thinking of are Hertz, Infinity or the one most popular combo out here (JBL GTO 607 for front and GTO 937 for rear - as it can compensate for lack of sub). Will sound be better with an amp for this kinda setup? If yes, let me know good Amp options for 5-7K...

Speakers: As you have said somewhere that I should compare 3 sets of speakers, hence will compare hertz, Pioneer and JBL with identically priced setups. And, i have inferred that getting 6" component for front is good...for the rear, will a 6" co-axial OR a 6x9 be better, taking note of that there will be no sub... I have seen good rec for GTO607 + 937 setup in these forums...hope they are the best ones in 8-10K with JBL (kindly confirm !)...Also, pls let me know some comparable models in case of Hertz and Pioneer as well...so that i can have a true comparison...

Finally, anybody knows a good and trustworthy dealer around Delhi...who can do a Solid and Clean install...lemme know...most dealers I have been to give weird logics, bashing whatevr brand gives them least profit n so on...cant trust them for installation, which makes or breaks the system!
maverickzCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 17:50   #1202
BHPian

seems no one except Navin follows this thread!
Old 12th December 2007, 18:49   #1203
BHPian

Default query

Hi guys ,

i want some help from our ICE gurus

1. Your Car: swift vdi

2. Your current setup (If any): have purchased Pioneer AVH-P5950DVD

3. Your Budget: 25k for speakers, amp, sub n whatever required.

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? me always

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): modern rock, metal, trance

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : partially maybe for a sub

Now the sound that im lookin for is really clear and sharp, would like SQ. Dont want too much of Boom.

Now after spending days in ICE section i have found that JBL GTO 607c n 937 are a good combo for speakers. Also in my small town my dealer only has JBL, Infinity and POLK audio. So was looking for speaker recommendations in these brands.

About the amp have heard that the famed 75.4 is no more. so looking for a new decent 4 channel amp

With regards to the sub , is it really required.

Hope all the ICE guys help me
speed_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 20:51   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickzCar View Post
seems no one except Navin follows this thread!
Incorrect assumption!

Quote:
HU: Pioneer 7950. Actually I have seen sony and kenwood giving some cd skipping issues even on light bumps. Hence want to know is Pioneer 7950 good in that respect or is it something else which makes it really good?
No complaints on this forum of Pio HUs skipping. It is the set of features for the price that sets the Pio's apart. It is VFM, but if you compare with the others in the Pio family, for your circumstances maybe 5950 or 6950 maybe equally good - you have to figure out what you need.
Quote:
Also, i read in one of your posts that you praised Blau also (for its A.S.S.)...is it possible for you to let me know any specific models in this price which i can compare with 7950?
Apples v/s oranges comparison - Blau is with B&W, Pio without!

Quote:
Amp: Am still confused. ..., let me know good Amp options for 5-7K...
Amp would definitely make the music more 'musical' and allow you to play louder without distortion. Blaupunkt would be you best bet, followed by Alpine and even Pio.

Quote:
Speakers: Also, pls let me know some comparable models in case of Hertz and Pioneer as well...so that i can have a true comparison...
Pioneer would be odd brand in there. The other brands could be Illusion or Blaupunkt. Best ones? Let your ears decide, na!

Quote:
Finally, anybody knows a good and trustworthy dealer around Delhi...
Ai D-company lokan kiththe gawach gaye? I have only heard of Driven in EoK - Gunbir would know more.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 11:26   #1205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
HU: Pioneer 7950....Blau also (for its A.S.S.)...
Amp: Am still confused. Will I need an amp for 4 speakers..Will sound be better with an amp for this kinda setup? If yes, let me know good Amp options for 5-7K...
Speakers: compare hertz, Pioneer and JBL..pls let me know some comparable models in case of Hertz and Pioneer as well
Finally, anybody knows a good and trustworthy dealer around Delhi...who can do a Solid and Clean install...
The only Blau HU I have heard is the Hamburg and it is pretty good. It comes with B&W and so is more expensive than the Pio 7950 (without B&W). The Hamburg also has a beautiful display. Blau's A.S.S is really MiCO-Bosch and that is why it is so good.

For speakers as Der Alte says Illusion's Electra is another brand worth checking out. Also listen to Infinity which is a bit more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_devil View Post
1. Your Car: swift vdi
2. Your current setup (If any): have purchased Pioneer AVH-P5950DVD
3. Your Budget: 25k for speakers, amp, sub n whatever required.
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? me always
5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): modern rock, metal, trance
Additional Information:
6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : partially maybe for a sub

JBL GTO 607c n 937 are a good combo for speakers. Also in my small town my dealer only has JBL, Infinity and POLK audio...About the amp have heard that the famed 75.4 is no more. so looking for a new decent 4 channel amp
25K for speakers, sub and amp,

Your amp will take 8K (see below), RCA abels 2K, that leaves 15K for the speakers (8K for front and rear) and sub (say 7K with box). JBL's GT5 series (speakers and sub) ot Blau's Thc/Thx series speakers and GT series sub might be your best bet.

Infinity and Polk wont fit your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I have only heard of Driven in EoK - Gunbir would know more.
Elegant is another and I dont knwo if Alpine makes a 4 ch amp for 7-8K. Their last good & cheap 4 ch. amp was the 240. JBL makes the GT5, Pio makes the 6300, Blau makes the GT4, Kenwood makes the 8401... all under 8K.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 13:06   #1206
Senior - BHPian

I am very eager to know the Audio set up for Swift Vdi ABS
Planning to install in my friend's Car.

Head Unit : Sony Xplold : [COLOR=#800080]CDX-GT460US[/COLOR] (Rs.8990)
Speaker Front : Sony Xplold :[COLOR=#800080]XS-V1642A[/COLOR] (Rs 2990) / [COLOR=#800080]XS-GTF1625B[/COLOR] (Rs 1700)
Speaker Rear : Sony Xplold :[COLOR=#800080]XS-V1642A[/COLOR] (Rs 2990)

Please advise ,whether it's a Good option or not.
Please give optional setup within budget of 15K including Head Unit,Front and Rear Speakers.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 14:49   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post

Head Unit : Sony Xplold : [COLOR=#800080]CDX-GT460US[/COLOR] (Rs.8990)
Speaker Front : Sony Xplold :[COLOR=#800080]XS-V1642A[/COLOR] (Rs 2990) / [COLOR=#800080]XS-GTF1625B[/COLOR] (Rs 1700)
Speaker Rear : Sony Xplold :[COLOR=#800080]XS-V1642A[/COLOR] (Rs 2990)

Please advise ,whether it's a Good option or not.
Please give optional setup within budget of 15K including Head Unit,Front and Rear Speakers.
Hi aks_karthik,

Im new to ICE too but have read a little bit here so let me try n help you.

Firstly Sony is not so good a brand in Car audio , since their quality is bad compared to pioneer, jbl & others.
So for the HU since you chose one with USB let me suggest pioneer 7950. It has a USB port and is a decent HU. Should cost around 8.5K w/o B&W
For the speakers its better to go for JBL.
You can try the new JBL GT5 series. For your budget u can get Component for front and 6x9 coaxials for rear.
Old 13th December 2007, 15:50   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_devil View Post
Hi aks_karthik,

Im new to ICE too but have read a little bit here so let me try n help you.

Firstly Sony is not so good a brand in Car audio , since their quality is bad compared to pioneer, jbl & others.
So for the HU since you chose one with USB let me suggest pioneer 7950. It has a USB port and is a decent HU. Should cost around 8.5K w/o B&W
For the speakers its better to go for JBL.
You can try the new JBL GT5 series. For your budget u can get Component for front and 6x9 coaxials for rear.
Hey Thanx,

I don't need to use Parcel tray for 6x9 coaxials .I need to accomadate in doors itself.
From my point of Voew.Sony is Ok for that price.I have a full setup in my WagonR with Sony HU and Speakers.it almost 3 years completed and still it is functioning good and SQ also good enough.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 17:01   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
The only Blau HU I have heard is the Hamburg and it is pretty good. It comes with B&W and so is more expensive than the Pio 7950 (without B&W). The Hamburg also has a beautiful display. Blau's A.S.S is really MiCO-Bosch and that is why it is so good.

For speakers as Der Alte says Illusion's Electra is another brand worth checking out. Also listen to Infinity which is a bit more expensive.

Your amp will take 8K (see below), RCA abels 2K, that leaves 15K for the speakers (8K for front and rear) and sub (say 7K with box). JBL's GT5 series (speakers and sub) ot Blau's Thc/Thx series speakers and GT series sub might be your best bet.

Elegant is another and I dont knwo if Alpine makes a 4 ch amp for 7-8K. Their last good & cheap 4 ch. amp was the 240. JBL makes the GT5, Pio makes the 6300, Blau makes the GT4, Kenwood makes the 8401... all under 8K.
Thanks Navin and DL. You guys are doing a terrific job spoiling the "audio innocents"

After gathering so much of valuable info, am all set to hit the dealer and make some final decision after listening with my own ears! Till then, will try to spend few more hrs skimming the still unread posts.
Old 13th December 2007, 19:54   #1210
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Navin for your reply

Is the GT5 amp good enough to power both comps and sub and also could you tell me which model specifically for amp and sub
Old 13th December 2007, 22:52   #1211
Team-BHP Support

Hi Gurus,
Which of these components are the best in terms of quality and VFM for a basic audiophile like me who prefers soft music ?
- JBL GTO series ( 6K with bw )
- JBL GT5 series (5k with bw )
- Hertz ( 6 k with bw )

Car: Swift
No amp or woofer. GTO937 in the rear. Pio 4950 HU.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 07:39   #1212

Red face Swift VDi Audio Setup ...Confused!!

Hi All,

I had just bought a Swift on the 12/08/07 and have no big ideas on MODS., but a wanted to have a good audio setup . I have purchased a Sony MEX DV 2000 (5.1 ch) H.U and now i'm stuck deciding about te speakers.. I'm left with 2 options.

1) Front - JBL GTO607C Components in the Door Pads.
Rear - JBL GTO607C Components in the door pads.
This config is only because i dont want that speaker plank in the back as it spoils the feel inside the car (for me).

Could some one please tell me as to how good this setup is and will ther be any loss in sound because the speakers are installed in the Door pads. Also in this coofig as they are components there would be 4 tweeters so is it adviceable to install 2 in front and 2 in the rear. Pls advice as im not a very keen person listening to the high range(tweeters).

Setup 2)
Front:JBL GTO607C Components.
Rear: JBL GTO937 Co-Axials

This is my last resort to install a speaker plank and install the 6"X9" JBL speakers.

Kindly advice as to which is better.

Also since it is a 5.1 ch H.U i'm planning to purchase a Clarion SRK05 as a center channel, good thing is this is a single DIN speaker. I'm in a little financial cruch so will take a 5.1 channel multichannel amp sometime later, so will drive the speakers in semi-passive mode.
rbincorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 09:33   #1213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
- JBL GTO series ( 6K with bw )
- Hertz ( 6 k with bw )
listen to these 2 and let your ears decide.
Old 14th December 2007, 09:35   #1214
Senior - BHPian

I take it that you are not looking at a dub-woofer. Setup two is advisable but you will not have too much bass. Would recommend ditch the co-axials and go for 6x9's. Or get an amp and keep the setup 2 option.

On second thought get an amp and go with one pair components and one pair 6x9's. The 6x9's will give you good bass.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 09:54   #1215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbincorp View Post
I have purchased a Sony MEX DV 2000 (5.1 ch) H.U
1) Front - JBL GTO607C Components in the Door Pads.
Rear - JBL GTO607C Components in the door pads.
Also in this coofig as they are components there would be 4 tweeters so is it adviceable to install 2 in front and 2 in the rear.

Setup 2)
Front:JBL GTO607C Components.
Rear: JBL GTO937 Co-Axials

Also since it is a 5.1 ch H.U i'm planning to purchase a Clarion SRK05 as a center channel, good thing is this is a single DIN speaker. I'm in a little financial cruch so will take a 5.1 channel multichannel amp sometime later, so will drive the speakers in semi-passive mode.
if you intend to add a sub (the .1 channel is for the sub) then I'd stick the option 1. note that the swift does not have tweeter pods on the doors (or anywhere else) so your installer would have to carefully make holes in the doors (on in the case of teh front speakers in the A pillar) for the tweeters. Please make sure that your installer is competent in doing this neatly and check out his handiwork on other cars.

5.1 channel amps are expensive. I would suggest that you get 2 4ch amps and use the bigger one for the front and sub and the other one for the rear and center. For the front/sub you would need a amp that atleast 60W rms per channel and atleast 150W rms bridged. For the center and rear you can make do with half that.

if you dont intend to have a sub the 6x9 will offer much more than than the 6" components becuase (a) the 6x9 moves as much as as an 8" woofer and (b)because the volume of it's "box" (trunk) is lot bigger than the "box" (door) of the 6" components.