Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd December 2007, 06:47   #1246

Default Swift Audio System- Need Advice

Hi Seniors,

I would need your advice.

1. Car- Swift
2. Current setup (If any): None(its a new car)
3. Budget: 10k to 12k max
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Only self
5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): I always listen to mild classic, jazz and soft music. I dont play the rock.
Additional Information: I love music so much and always keep playing some soft romantic tunes wherever I go.
I would like to go for a Pioneer system.
What sort of speakers should I use and what combination?
Different brand for front and rear??
I heard Alphine speakers are a good to listen. DO I try them?? Put them in front and try something in the rear?
I am gonna fit the speakers only in the door provision.
6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? :No!

Thanks,
VRS
sumanvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 08:26   #1247
BHPian

I have a JVC XC 400 double din player in my Swift. It has 2 preamp output (2 left and 2 right). I doubt is it a 2 or 4output , is it possible to connect a 4ch amp with it?

And one more thing - do we need spacer rings for 6.5" speakers on doors?
Raxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 08:56   #1248
BHPian

Cool around 25k ICE setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Hi..

I have a swift. Am to get an audio system for it now. And am superbly confused. Have tried to become familiar with the options on brands available for them and did some research by visiting the dealers as well.
I am a total novice in this field.

I have shortlisted the following set up, where my budget is till 25K.And am confident of not increasing it any further Have read the posts which have led to major budget changes!!

Blau Hamburg, GT 693 oval speakers, GT 663 for front/ In car 122, all blaupunkt.

Is the Blau HU good in performance? whats the general review like?

Do I need an amplifier too? I had come to conclusion with discussion with people that a small car might not necessarily need amp.

Would appreciate your help in deciding.

Also please suggest a good place in Mumbai in Sion to New Bombay belt to get the fittings done.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu_46 View Post
Well i am a silent observer of this site and absolutely love it. Time has come for my 2 day old swift to get I.C.E.D. Budget <=25k, not more than that have already done a 15k to 20k .., but can just alter it to 30k somehow. My like music to be not so bright and tight bass. I made up my mind for the following choices and the quotes i got are as :
SPEAKERS
GT5 650C-4050/-
GTO 607-5100/-
GTO 1264-4800/-

AMP,i was going through the JBL leaflet and found this amp
GTO 1004-11700/-

All the above with bill and 1 year warranty.

HEAD UNIT
Pioneer 5950 or 5990 don't remember - 5400 without B&W and 8400 with B&W

Now the dilemma is going through a lot of threads i got to know about Hertz and Illusion ice, went to search in my city but to no avail , i could not find them anywhere.

Guru's kindly tell me if this setup is ok and any further help regarding Hertz or Illusions would be awesome. I may come over to New Delhi next month for the auto expo so have a choice of getting my ice from there also but would prefer lucknow.
lets say, at 25k u cld consider the foll:

a. one pair front components (above entry level) - hertz energy/illusion luccent/jbl (?)/polk dB series/ and many others in pioneer kenwood blau that i do not know of... lets say 9-11k.

b. a good 4 channel amp - 75.4 or above fr blau, kenwood (say 10k) or alpine MRP around 12-14k.

c. add bass to taste - like salt to taste... u can choose from sealed jbl boxes cs1204? to tubes for boom, to GZ sub to Image Dynamics... or stick to a couple of 307s for loudness and boom. say 5-8k

d. sir, whoever said that small cars do not need amp... pl ask them to say why they think so, esp when you have budget of 25k.

e. "superbly confused". LOL... abhi toh shuru hua hai.

f. i have no clue why people spend 15 grand on a Head Unit and show it off with speakers and setups that suck. so i have kept the heat unit out of this list. any good HU with cd-mp3-usb some 4-4.5k onwards and 2 pre-outs can do the job. you may wish to add according to taste, features and budget.

g. so around 30k... worth a step-above entry level. a trip to delhi would be worthwhile if gunbir can help you in install. you cld also demo illusions at LBMs.

h. not so bright leans towards illusions and energy series. i haven't heard jbl. but you may stay off polk, though they are too good for their price.

i. my name has a guru for other reasons. i'm no ice guru. but i can help you in love affairs/marriages/or finding the perfect wife cheers: (sounds kinda OT, but what the heck)

disclaimer: the writer is an independent amateur in ICE and does not have 100 installs to his credit. views and opinions expressed are entirely his own and the forum may or may not subscribe to it.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 11:34   #1249
BHPian

@ monty thanx for your views.
Well i'd be coming to delhi for the auto expo and will not be having my car there so only thinking to collect the ice from there.
About 60% of the time i will be alone in the car with my bro so thinking of going for compos up front and a sub in the boot.
My parents dont like thump that much so the sub will be doing duty at low volumes when they will be around in the car, so a sub which performs at low volume also is needed .
Amp wise i was thinking about the gto1004, but i think would have to go for the gt5 one so that i could manage better speakers.
anshu_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 13:06   #1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
lets say, at 25k u cld consider the foll:

f. i have no clue why people spend 15 grand on a Head Unit and show it off with speakers and setups that suck. so i have kept the heat unit out of this list. any good HU with cd-mp3-usb some 4-4.5k onwards and 2 pre-outs can do the job. you may wish to add according to taste, features and budget.
Is it true that head unit does not matter? guide me correct. If thats the scene, then first i need to understand whats more important, HU or speakers for quality sound.
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 14:58   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Speakers are the most important. Almost all aftermarket HU's have 50x4 output. So it doesnot matter which HU you go for.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 15:03   #1252
Distinguished - BHPian

Everything matters.

The number of watts an HU or an amplifier is capable of outputting says absolutely nothing about the quality of the sound.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 16:16   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Everything matters.

The number of watts an HU or an amplifier is capable of outputting says absolutely nothing about the quality of the sound.
Almost all HU's have a output of 50x4, and a amplifier will be effective only if you drive good speakers through them.
Old 24th December 2007, 00:15   #1254

Thanks BUSA and TEG..

So if I still go for the blau hamburg as HU, what speakers and amplifier option should I go for. My budget is 25K. Hamburg costs 14K.
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 00:28   #1255
Senior - BHPian

In 11k you will get a pair of compos, JBL GTO 607c - 5k and Rear tri-axials for 4k and the rest 2k for damping. You would not get a amp so you can use the 2k for damping.

My advise is no point spending so much on a HU.

Instead get aa Pioneer 4050UB(Comes with USB) - 6k
JBL GTO 607c - 5k
JBL 937 - 3.5k
Damping All Doors and Boot(Must in Swift) - 2k(if you use noise kill)
JBL GTO 60.4 Amp - 6k
JBL GT-4-12 Sub - 4k

Around ~ 28k
Old 25th December 2007, 14:46   #1256
Senior - BHPian

From what the veterans say, the sky is the limit concerning damping especially for cars like the Swift/Honda city etc.

Busa how many sq ft of extreme did you use for the swift?
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2007, 17:20   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Busa how many sq ft of extreme did you use for the swift?
No idea, but around 4 sheets.
Old 25th December 2007, 21:25   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it true that head unit does not matter? guide me correct. If thats the scene, then first i need to understand whats more important, HU or speakers for quality sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Speakers are the most important. Almost all aftermarket HU's have 50x4 output. So it doesnot matter which HU you go for.
While I agree that speakers are important, its not so easily generalized. Its like saying it doesnt matter what car you buy, they all have four wheels...
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 10:43   #1259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
While I agree that speakers are important, its not so easily generalized. Its like saying it doesnt matter what car you buy, they all have four wheels...
Every part of the audio chain is important. One must realise that all the components must COMPLIMENT each other. It can even be that a bright speaker and a laid back amp sound good together but the same speaker with another amp that is equally good but brighter might be unbearable.

Speakers is general are harder to get "right" becuase you are converting electrical energy to mechanical energy and every time we do this we incurr losses. these losses are not only in the quantity of the energy but also in the quality of the energy. that is why live acousitc music sounds so good.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 21:45   #1260
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
i don't understand one thing. the explanation is given. it is for a particular setup and comparisons are also given. 15k on a HU and 3-4k on speakers is a NO-NO. and this again is my opinion.

how can people come and interpret just part of the facts they want in the way they want and then put up a qn - "is it true that the Head Unit does not matter?"

of course it matters.

then again, if you like to have your food with the hand around the ear, let's say - you can't expect good sound from speakers unless the source is good... can you??

things are in relation to each other my friend. and you want to marry your perfect wife because you are madly in love with her. are you ready to accept her child from the first marriage too? sigh. where i begin and where i end up. pardon me.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote