Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 14th January 2008, 00:55   #1291

Hi,

I am in Milpitas,California US for a short buisness visit. I recently purchased a swift vxi and wanted to go for a decent audio system within 15k~. I checked out in best buy and walmart stores (walkable distance from my hotel) couldnt find pioneer 6850 and JBL speakers (not available here i guess).
1. Could anyone please tell me wether its a cheap buying a audio system in here?
2. Any other HU and speakers which i should go for?
3. I also got to know from the discussion that cabling and damping is also required on the doors. Is it absolutely required or i can live with it? Also please suggest the estimated cost and prefferred place in bangalore to get it done?
4. Can i purchase the cable from here in us?

please suggest. I am here for 2 more weeks.

Thanks for attending my queries.
Nash
nash1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 10:11   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash1980 View Post
I recently purchased a swift vxi and wanted to go for a decent audio system within 15k~. I checked out in best buy and walmart stores (walkable distance from my hotel) couldnt find pioneer 6850 and JBL speakers (not available here i guess).
1. Could anyone please tell me wether its a cheap buying a audio system in here?
2. Any other HU and speakers which i should go for?
3. I also got to know from the discussion that cabling and damping is also required on the doors. Is it absolutely required or i can live with it? Also please suggest the estimated cost and prefferred place in bangalore to get it done?
4. Can i purchase the cable from here in us?
Best Buy normally has Sony, JVC, Alpine and Pioneer. Their website shows Pio 7900, 5900 etc. - which are the equivalent of 7950, 5950 etc.

1. Yes, it usually is cheaper in US, unless you land up paying duty on arrival
2. Check out Alpine 9883, or even better, 9885. There might be even a good JVC or Sony model. Pick one that has features that you REALLY want to use

For speakers, ask BB to audition Infinity, Alpine and Rockford-Fosgate for you. Try out 6.5" components for the front, 6x9 ovals for rear (on parcel tray). Give the other speakers (Sony, Insignia, Power Acoustic, Kenwood, Pioneer, Dual, Dynex, etc.) a wide berth.

3. Damping will be necessary in a Swift, but you need not pick up the material in US - it will be inconvenient to carry. You can get damping done in Bangalore
4. If you are thinking of putting in an amp immediately, get the cable set from US - at least you will get genuine packs. If not, don't bother at least for now. In any case, there are good cables available in Bangalore and not costly either
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 15:12   #1293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash1980 View Post
I am in Milpitas,California US for a short buisness visit. I recently purchased a swift vxi and wanted to go for a decent audio system within 15k~.
The Best Buy off Ranch Drive would be the best place to hit on this budget.

15K = $400
HU: $175-200 (Pio, Alpine, JVC, Kenwood, Panasonic but avoid the Sony and Sanyo)
Front Speakers: $125-150 (6" components)
Rear Speakers: $75 (6" coax preferably from the same brand as above)

Oh yes. please research if the HU's tuner is EU capable. Dont expect the Best Buy person to know.

If you want to see some nice installs head over to Larry's in Mountain View.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 15:29   #1294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The Best Buy off Ranch Drive would be the best place to hit on this budget.

15K = $400
HU: $175-200 (Pio, Alpine, JVC, Kenwood, Panasonic but avoid the Sony and Sanyo)
Front Speakers: $125-150 (6" components)
Rear Speakers: $75 (6" coax preferably from the same brand as above)

Oh yes. please research if the HU's tuner is EU capable. Dont expect the Best Buy person to know.

If you want to see some nice installs head over to Larry's in Mountain View.
Umm I suggest to stay away from that Best buy.
Or for that matter any Best buy.
Go to Fry's on Brokaw(its just 4 miles from milpitas), and try their audio division.
The prices are better than Best buy, and they actually have sales guys who are clued about the products.
Not fully experts, but they understand most of the things.
The also have a fully equipped install shop, and in case the sales guy is not aware of the stuff, they check with the install shop engineers who are a notch above in the technical ladder.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 15:40   #1295

Red face Alpine HUs from Japan??!!!

Hi Gurus,

How are you today?!!! I have booked azure grey Swift Vdi (Thanks to this forum) and am waiting. My listening profile is; I prefer clarity and I am not for loud music. I am thinking of the following for ICE
  • Alpine CDA 9885 Ji ?? (HU)
  • Infinity Ref 6010cs compo for front doors
  • Infinity Ref 6012i 6 1/2 2 way coax for the rear doors.
I am not planning to go for amp initially. My questions are about the HU. I am now in Japan and I checked Alpine models here. They are
1. CDA-9887Ji ( Imprint Technology) INR 21,000 approx
2. CDA-9885Ji INR 12,500 approx
3 CDA-9886Ji will be introduced in Feb ‘08 INR 13800 approx

Click here for Alpine Japan Hp

I have the following questions.
  1. These are Japanese models. Can this be installed in Swift?
  2. User manuals are in Japanese .Is it possible to get English manual from Internet? Or is manual very essential?
  3. Can you suggest a good shop in Chennai for infinity products and installation?
  4. With these prices, will it make sense to buy in Japan and carry it to India?
  5. Of the three models, which model do you suggest.( Does Imprint technology worth extra bucks?)
Hmm! I know ...Too many questions!!.. help me!!!

Thanks,
Tamilzu
tamilzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 15:54   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Spekers youll get in India also for almost the same price, better invest in good HU along with Amp and cableings from US as they are light weight to carry.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 22:25   #1297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Go to Fry's on Brokaw(its just 4 miles from milpitas..Not fully experts, but they understand most of the things....
good idea. Ask for Fry's in S. Fremont. they have a nice coffee shop too. if you have a car you can drive over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamilzu View Post
[*]These are Japanese models. Can this be installed in Swift?
yes they can be installed but those prices are very close to Indian prices. I dont think it is worth the hassle.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 07:15   #1298

Thanks a lot Navin for your advice.
The Prices I have mentioned are Alpine listed prices. Other places offer al the most 4k INR less...!!

Hello Bhpians!!
Can you suggest me a good shop in chennai for Infinity and Alpine products?!!!

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Tamilzu
Old 15th January 2008, 09:06   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamilzu View Post
Thanks a lot Navin for your advice.
The Prices I have mentioned are Alpine listed prices. Other places offer al the most 4k INR less...!!

Hello Bhpians!!
Can you suggest me a good shop in chennai for Infinity and Alpine products?!!!

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Tamilzu
Where in Japan are you? Street prices vary a lot based on where you are.

The J suffix indicates that the display is Japanese language - there may or may not be English support (for anything other than dot-matrix displays, handling both Kanji and English characters is a problem)

To figure out whether it does or not, you will need to talk to the shop person. THAT is the difficult part, since if they do speak English at all, they think that they speak English. You may have to request a Japanese colleague to help you out with that. If you discuss with them, it is quite likely you will find a colleague who is deep into ICE and modding. You can get stuff much cheaper than India, but you have to be patient.

The lanes deep inside Akihabara in Tokyo (or Den Den Town in Osaka - the area between Namba, Nippombashi and Ebisucho) are the places where you can find good stuff, but you have to trawl patiently on a Saturday. In other towns, you will have to find a car accessories market.
Old 15th January 2008, 09:47   #1300

DerAlte,

You are my man!:-)! Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
I am in Narita(20 min from Airport), just an hour away from Tokyo..I do have japanese friends here. As you have advised , I will hit akihabara in coming weekends..!!!
Will comeback to you for advice :-)!!!

Cheers,
Tamilzu
Old 15th January 2008, 11:20   #1301

Default thanks for the info

Thanks a ton @ DerAlte, navin, tsk1979 and Ajaybiz for all that valuable information.
I will try out the fry's and check the price.
the coax in best buy were costly $100 and compos around #179.
I did like the kenwood HU, as it was kinda new with features like : bluetooth, usb, ipod (not sure though) and was costing $135.

thanks again.

nash
nash1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 00:12   #1302

Default Subs for my current ICE

I wish i knew about this site 6mths back before buying my ICE

I currently have the following set up, i had planned to put a sub in but skipped on it as didnt have the cash at the time. I would like to put one in now and would like to know the best way of going about it.
Car:Swift ZXi

2. current setup : Pioneer P7950UB HU
Pioneer GM 4300F amp, JBL GT comps up front, and Polk audio Db 691 behind on a shelf

3. Budget: Upto 10k for the upgrade

4. Music preferences :Rock and lots of it hard heavy metal, mixed with the occasional lighter stuff, occasional techno or trance too but

Additional Information:Very happy with the clarity and quality of my sys, but can do with a bit more of bass.

5. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Would like to have a sub which can be easily removed for those rare occasions when i need to lug around some luggage.

A few extra queries too
1 Paid about 30k for the whole thing including install board cables etc, and only the speakers come with warranty, rest without, was this k.
2 Sorry if i am repeating , but couldn't find an answer to it , my polk's are rated at 100W cont. power and amp gives 40WX4 am i under powering them.

Hoping the guru's can help me out
docanurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 00:36   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docanurag View Post
Very happy with the clarity and quality of my sys, but can do with a bit more of bass.

Paid about 30k for the whole thing including install board cables etc, and only the speakers come with warranty, rest without, was this k.
Considering your happy with your sound, I guess 30k is an okay figure, maybe a tad expensive but it doesnt matter now.

Quote:
Would like to have a sub which can be easily removed for those rare occasions when i need to lug around some luggage.
Look at the GT4-12", decent VFM or one of the GT5-12" if your on a budget.

Quote:
amp gives 40WX4 am i under powering them.
Since you plan to add a sub you will need a good amp. Try and ditch the pioneer 4300 and go for a JBL 75.4 (9-9.5k) if you find one or something similar.

2 channels will power your front comps and 2 channels bridged for the rear. The Polk's can run off your 7950 pre-outs.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 12:40   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Doc, as Soldier said, considering you are happy with your sound, you need to only add a sub. Don't worry about under powering, unless you have the ulterior motive of making the peaceful and sleepy Manipal residents run to your operation table to re-wire their HUs. What matters is not the power numerics, but whether your system is able to play music at loudness levels that you want. If you really want LOUD music (what folks in this jungle call SPL) you need to consider serious equipment and serious budget!

Oy Soldier, your "2ch front + 2 ch bridged for sub" scheme will work decently with the Pio 4300. That would allow our Khopdi ka Doc to gradually grow into a better system - which he ultimately will - without having to empty his pockets all of a sudden.

Doubt if you can get decent stuff in Manipal - you may need to drive to Mangalore, or better, Bangalore. Maybe you could pay @blueraven a visit - he should be able to help you get your fix.
Old 16th January 2008, 13:33   #1305
Senior - BHPian

I was only trying to get him to spend more then he was willing to, I thought that was what you ice cubes did in here
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote