Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 3rd November 2006, 15:08   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
Sam was saying that except for the fact that the crossover is an inline one, you are basically getting the GTO607s here.
No I said that you are getting a GTO 6 series (GTO6506Ce to be precise) only with an inline crossover.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 15:55   #122
Team-BHP Support

BTW the swift does NOT have tweeter pods in the front so if you are considering components bear in mind that you'd need to find a place to install them. Most common locations are flush mounted on the A pillar, surface mounted on the dash or flush mounted on the door. flush mouts require cutting.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:00   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
edit:sorry hydrashok think i repeated quite a lot of stuff you have already mentioned as i had pressed reply and was idle for an hour. didn't see your post thats why.
Nawww... Has happened to me too. Quite a few times :-)

vid and Sam, my bad about the GTO6506Ce thing. Guess I should pay more attention, huh?
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 17:23   #124

Thanks much guys. @Navin, going by ur reply, I see that it may not be possible for me to have comp. speakers in the front :-(. I would want to avoid cutting and tray... :-( ... What if I go for comp. speakers in the rear? Does that require cutting too? And, will that be a good setup.

As for my budget, I should be able to stretch it 20K :-)
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 18:05   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody
Thanks much guys. @Navin, going by ur reply, I see that it may not be possible for me to have comp. speakers in the front :-(. I would want to avoid cutting and tray... :-( ... What if I go for comp. speakers in the rear? Does that require cutting too? And, will that be a good setup.

As for my budget, I should be able to stretch it 20K :-)

If u surface-install tweeters,then u can avoid modification by just using good quality double tape.Not the ideal thing but will do.

Melody,u can fit in HU,front comp and rear coax/6x9" in 15-17k.
HU---- 5k
Front comp--- 5-6k
raer---- 5-6k
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 19:34   #126
Team-BHP Support

You can install the tweeters on the dashboard facing you using double sided sticky tape.

The install wont look like a stock clean install as the tweeter will be visible.

The preference is towards stealth for installing. Theres no issue other than cosmetic looks.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2006, 11:46   #127
Team-BHP Support

Using double sided sticky tape works but has 2 disadvantages.

a) the tweeters look like mini E.T. heads and are very visible to thieves
b) an overzealous cleaner can knock them while cleaning your dash.

Most installers can make a clean installer but cutting the only disadvantage this has is that you have to sell the tweeters with the car.
Old 4th November 2006, 12:39   #128
Team-BHP Support

Navinji is it advisable to stick it on the windshield on the top close to the A-pillar.

This is what i have done, fixed it using the tape. fortunately it hasn't even fallen down yet. It's pretty well concealed since the small tint stripe on the top hides it.
Old 4th November 2006, 13:00   #129
Senior - BHPian

@ vid - exactly what I had done in my ikon near the A-pillar. Never fell down once in 3 years. Just used a nice double sided tape.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 21:39   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
Navinji is it advisable to stick it on the windshield on the top close to the A-pillar..
Ideally the tweeter should be as close to the woofer as possible so all the sound seems to come from about the same location. wonder what your imaging is like.
Old 5th November 2006, 23:20   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Ideally the tweeter should be as close to the woofer as possible so all the sound seems to come from about the same location. wonder what your imaging is like.
well your the first person to say that...most people recommend it to be put on the a-pillars..
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 23:23   #132
Team-BHP Support

Navinji, The alto's speaker is on the dash top. I've placed the 4" dual cone there and the tweeter on top of the windshield.
By imaging you're saying that the sound will appear to come from different locations thereby sound confusing to the ear?? I'm not sure could you elaborate on this.

Should i relocate the speakers to the top of the dash next to the 4"?
Old 6th November 2006, 00:53   #133
Senior - BHPian

Speakers on the dash and tweeters on the top of the windshield should be ok. Speakers in door speaker-pods near your feet and the tweeters on top of the windshield (which is what Navin was referring to, I'm sure) will be a definite no no.

But isn't your front soundstage a bit too high? I would bring the tweeters down to the dash or to the bottom of the A-pillar to get the imaging better, and lower the soundstage just a little.

From what I've read, the best way of not ruining the imaging by placing the woofer, mids and tweeters far apart is to make sure that all 3 drivers [(w+m+t) in case of 3-way comps, and both drivers (w+t), in the case of 2-way comps] are installed within a max distance of 12 inches. That is, end-to-end, the woofer, mids and tweeters should be within a total of 12 inches. Now this is a rule of thumb and not a hard-and-fast rule. It is something like an ideal distance, without allowing for the peculiarities of each install.

Last edited by hydrashok : 6th November 2006 at 00:56.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 09:04   #134
Team-BHP Support

Hey hydrashok,

I think we are hijacking this thread on swift audio. let's continue this discussion in the car audio advice thread.

I'm replying to your post there. linky (Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!)
Old 6th November 2006, 10:23   #135
Team-BHP Support

In a Swift the position of the woofer is in the door. I have seen a few installs where the tweeter has been installed in the A Pillar. I find it disturbing to have the drums and male vocals coming from near my knees and the violin coming from about ear level. For this reason I prefered the coherence of a coaxial (JBL 637) over the extended freq response of a component (JBL 607) in my FIL's swift. Others might prefer the extended response of the component system.

For the same reason I try to choose my cars based on the location of the speakers and the quality of the body work (build quality).