Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th January 2008, 18:47   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Jaibir - I would suggest not to use local RCA's please. Speakers are very very important part of your system dont skimp on them.
Oye tu ICE-wallah ban gaya!! He doesnt need RCA's since he doesnt have an amp

RCA's are important phir bhi MX RCA cables are excellent VFM for an entry level setup. Only thing the "Digital Series", model # 1107 only seems to come in 5' length which is sufficient only for amps installed in the front.

Quote:
Dude without ICE also you need to go for damping in the Swift.
Agreed, but you can get away with minimal damping if rattles are your concern. Meaning damping only the rattle prone areas(eg : pads) instead of inner door shield, outer door shield, wheel arch etc which the serious ICE'rs need to cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
Thanks for the inputs BUSA. I guess I can argue the damping and tray are not part of the ICE budget. Would save me a little trouble with the missus to be!!
Ingenious!!!

Last edited by s0uljah : 26th January 2008 at 18:48. Reason: added multiple quote
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 18:54   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oye tu ICE-wallah ban gaya!! He doesnt need RCA's since he doesnt have an amp
Arre soulja, i meant that if he plans to go for amp then not to buy fake ones.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 18:59   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arre soulja, i meant that if he plans to go for amp then not to buy fake ones.
Correct, better than fake is a reliable local option - MX. They not dirt cheap either, approx Rs300/- for a piece.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 20:45   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
Is it possible to get a demo in the car? I thought they only gave a demo on those in-shop mounted boards.
Jaibir-bhai, leverage T-BHP. Get together with some of the Mumbai TBHPians. Use the PM facility.

BUSA-bhai has just put in Illusions in his Innova, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind giving you an in-car audition. There are others with Hertz, JBL, Infinity, ... with amp, without amp, with sub, without sub, all types.

Carry your own familiar audio CDs - at least you will be able to compare the same music on more than one.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 18:59   #1355
BHPian

there was an advertisement in the Mumbai Mid-Day yesterday (Monday, Jan 28), in which some Maruti dealer based in Bandra (on SV Road) was selling Swift Zxi's with the factory stereo HU.

This is the Suzuki HU, integrated into the dash. Looks really nice. Also comes with controls on the steering wheel. Just like the Swift sold abroad.

Unfortunately I wont be able to visit the dealer until saturday, but it would be interesting to know how much its for and whether he can provide just the unit (without requiring that you buy the car too!).
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 20:09   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
there was an advertisement in the Mumbai Mid-Day yesterday (Monday, Jan 28), in which some Maruti dealer based in Bandra (on SV Road) was selling Swift Zxi's with the factory stereo HU.

This is the Suzuki HU, integrated into the dash. Looks really nice. Also comes with controls on the steering wheel. Just like the Swift sold abroad.

Unfortunately I wont be able to visit the dealer until saturday, but it would be interesting to know how much its for and whether he can provide just the unit (without requiring that you buy the car too!).
The stock HU, which comes with the new Swift ZXi(integrated) is crap, it does not have 50x4 output IMO and no preamps, so its just show and no go.
Old 30th January 2008, 10:46   #1357
Senior - BHPian

Independent of the quality and features of the HU, such an HU would still be attractive to SOME people.

If this is genuine Suzuki part, it should be available as MGA, albeit it might require pre-ordering since it would be a rarely-ordered accessory in Maruti Suzuki frame of affairs.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 11:20   #1358
BHPian

Hey Busa,

What's the location of Boom audio in bandra?? does he offer discounts? any references?

Quote:
Jaibir - I would suggest not to buy grey market speakers, and certainly not to use local RCA's please. Speakers are very very important part of your system dont skimp on them.

Dude without ICE also you need to go for damping in the Swift.

I would suggest you the following for 18k.

Fronts - Illusion Electra EL 6.1 2 way components - 6.5k
Damping - Noise Kill for front doors and boot(it rattles alot) - 2k
Install - 1k
Wiring Harness to install HU - Rs. 250(make sure you get this, otherwise if the installer cuts your wires its sure to void your warranty)
MDF Ring - Rs. 250
HU Pio 5050UB(with USB, grey) - 5.5k
JBL 937 - 4k
MDF - 1k(This is not included in your budget since you wont spend 1.6k on the MSIL Parcel Shelf)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total - 19.5(slightly over budget but you will love the way the car sounds, no rattles)

To round off 20k, .5k you can send me a cake

I would not suggest you a amp since your requirements really dont need one. You will get good thump and bass from the JBL 6x9s

Till now, i have found Boom Audio in Bandra to be the best installer, very professional job and he keeps noise kill too.
partypest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 11:38   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's the location of Boom audio in bandra?? does he offer discounts? any references?
Off carter road, next to Amore, near CCD. The Illusions are totally worth the price, what discount you will get on them?
Old 30th January 2008, 15:06   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
The stock HU, which comes with the new Swift ZXi(integrated) is crap, it does not have 50x4 output IMO and no preamps, so its just show and no go.
That certainly is bad news. But I guess the HU should still be able to feed to amps with line-level inputs.

Do you have any idea about the other features? Tone controls? Equalizer? Timing/alignment? Sub output?

I guess everyone figures out their own trade-off between features/sound quality and finish and aesthetics. I'm hoping to figure out where I fall.
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 18:17   #1361
BHPian

oh ya i have seen the shop there it's a small shop correct? well Mr Busa what do you suggest to go in for, just to add i have a jbl sub GT4-12 and Sony 4ch Amp and 4' compos of fusin which i dont think would fit in the swift. how about compos in front and rear? if yes which model n how much my budget would be around 20k need a HU too

Quote:
Off carter road, next to Amore, near CCD. The Illusions are totally worth the price, what discount you will get on them?
partypest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 00:02   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypest View Post
oh ya i have seen the shop there it's a small shop correct? well Mr Busa what do you suggest to go in for, just to add i have a jbl sub GT4-12 and Sony 4ch Amp and 4' compos of fusin which i dont think would fit in the swift. how about compos in front and rear? if yes which model n how much my budget would be around 20k need a HU too
Get a Pioneer 6050UB, 7950UB or 4050, cost 9k,9k,6k resp.

For speakers audition Hertz, Infinity, Illusion, Ground Zero and see what suits your taste.
Old 15th February 2008, 10:29   #1363
BHPian

Got my install done a few days back. Have it properly tuned now so thought I should put it up now. The budget had to be trimmed at the last minute as the missus to be insisted on some alloys

Here's what I finally got:
HU: Pio 4050UB
Front: JBL GT5 652 2 way coaxials, JBL GTO series tweeters (dont remember the model number)
Rear: JBL GTO 937 on an MDF tray

Initially tried it without the tweeters. Wasn't getting the high notes properly so added the tweeters. After some tuning, the install sounds quite good . I'm keep the volumes low so no complaints.

The whole thing cost approx 12K including installation in grey, albeit with a dealer warranty (vouched for by someone reliable). Got it done from a guy in Milan Subway (next to Anand Tyres). Seemed to know his stuff and offered some pretty honest advise. He did a good job on the install. The install was simple enough so hard to say how he would do in a more complex setup - especially on tuning things.

I already have some upgrades in mind, which I'll take up a few months out. Need to add a four channel amp and replace the front speakers/tweeters combo with a good set of components (have Hertz in mind). Also, the damping (which is outside the ICE budget) is still pending. Any suggestions on a suitable amp are welcome. have budgeted about 6k for the comps but dont have a budget in mind for the amp - will fix it after some more research.

Thanks to shuvc, DerAlte, BUSA, rider60, Bass&Trouble and s0uljah for the advise. think this is one of those rare instance when someone cut their budget after visiting the ICE forum
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 10:37   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that you install is done and you are right now thinking of a upgrade. Have you listen to any components in any car. If yes which ones
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 11:15   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Good to see that you install is done and you are right now thinking of a upgrade. Have you listen to any components in any car. If yes which ones
Heard Polk audio components and JBL's in the same install in a friend's octavia. Frankly, the polk's really didn't seem like much of an upgrade to the JBL's. He's got a full service setup with a 4ch amp and a separate monoblock + sub (this I found out later when I was doing research for my own ICE). Also heard a similar setup in a Zen (JBL's again). Heard Hertz components on a friend's Swift on my last trip to my hometown - wasnt much into ICE at the time so I dont know the other details. I seemed to enjoy the sound on the last install the most - might just be that he was playing my kind of music

I felt that sound from comps is better filled out on the high and mid ranges, something which seems weak on my existing setup (on the mid ranges) - important for me as I'm not a bass person.
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote