Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 31st March 2008, 13:16   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
You are right the JBL GTO is value for money but I felt the Polk was much better in terms of clarity of music. In other words Polk sounded much more nice.
Hmm, that means what for others is "extremely bright" (almost every one here says that of Polk), is "good clarity" for you.
Quote:
Another point is that I am getting Polks at half the prices....
- Components: Polk DB6901
I have to know pick up coaxials for the rear as I will not be going for Bass speakers.
Where from? Half of what - 'list price' or 'what the dealer originally said it is'?

The way part numbers are constructed, this one would indicate a 6x9 oval coax. How did you mount that in the front??? Or is this DB6501 by any chance?
Quote:
1)I have decided on Polk DB691, please let me know if this is a good choice?
Not distinctively better or worse than JBLGTO937 (currently the most VFM of the 6x9's) or other 6x9 oval coaxials; you anyhow like the brightness of Polk speakers
Quote:
2) I also want to know if is should go for JBL GTO 4 channel amp? (I want quality music not loud glaring music)
You could use the GT5-A604 4-ch, which in grey might be the same price as the GTO 2-ch one that you are considering. The GTO 75.4 would be excellent value, much more than the 2-ch one, IF you can get one.
[quote=bharatbs;777481]Getting the auditions here in Bangalore is a big problem./quote]Going through the threads on TBHP, you should be able to get the bearings of the numerous Benga-boys, like @s0uljah, @vid6639, @rjstyles, @blueraven (who incidentally has a joint of his own)! PM them - you can have access to audition of a wide variety of systems. An offer of beer is usually a good enabler!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 13:37   #1457
BHPian

Firstly I'd like to say is that you're seriously lucky for posting here before buying because it's really obvious that you're been given tremendously sensible advice. Here's a little more

1. TRUST YOUR EARS!!! (Actually, this is the only one that matters)

2. The same speakers will sound very different with a different HU, different amp, different CD and even in a different CAR! So unless you hear EXACTLY what you want to buy, you'll never be really sure.

3. From my personal observation and experience, most "advanced" listeners or audiophiles have what would be for most of us, acquired tastes; they simply like different stuff! It is very likely that you may actually hate their kind of sound.

Go with what sounds best for YOU and fits in your budget. I can understand the difficulty you face in auditioning everything that you'd like to because ALL of us face the same. Again from personal experience, T-Bhpians everywhere are a most helpful lot, so look for some in your city and I can assure you that you'll be pleasantly surprised with the response.
Finally, Ad infinitum ad nauseam, install what you like; you're gonna do all the listening!
Cheers.
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 16:49   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Firstly I'd like to say is that you're seriously lucky for posting here before buying because it's really obvious that you're been given tremendously sensible advice. Here's a little more

1. TRUST YOUR EARS!!! (Actually, this is the only one that matters)

2. The same speakers will sound very different with a different HU, different amp, different CD and even in a different CAR! So unless you hear EXACTLY what you want to buy, you'll never be really sure.

3. From my personal observation and experience, most "advanced" listeners or audiophiles have what would be for most of us, acquired tastes; they simply like different stuff! It is very likely that you may actually hate their kind of sound.

Go with what sounds best for YOU and fits in your budget. I can understand the difficulty you face in auditioning everything that you'd like to because ALL of us face the same. Again from personal experience, T-Bhpians everywhere are a most helpful lot, so look for some in your city and I can assure you that you'll be pleasantly surprised with the response.
Finally, Ad infinitum ad nauseam, install what you like; you're gonna do all the listening!
Cheers.

Yeah Vikram,

I guess you are right, liking one speaker over another is pretty much subjective if you are evaluating the speakers based on hearing music alone.

Another point is that I did not find any objective review of the various speakers on the interenet.

Example cnet.com has excellent review on laptops, mobile phones, PDA's etc but next to nothing on Car Audio.
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 16:51   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
  • Illusion Electra Component EL 6.1: VFM, neither bright nor laid back. My rating: 7
  • Blaupunkt THc - 662: -ditto-. My rating: 7
  • JBL GTO - 607c: Most VFM, though considered bright by most. My rating: 7
  • Polk Component DB 650: Not VFM, brightest of the lot. My rating: 6
  • Infinity Components - 6010cs (i didnt find for 6020cs on the website): VFM - but costlier than JBL, Blau and Illusion, laid back (The 6020 is the latest, the website is out of date and indicates the old model). My rating: 8
  • Kicker Components DS600.2: Not VFM, less brighter than Polk but brighter than the rest. My rating: 6
* All the above will make no sense unless you make an attempt at auditioning them in a car with music you are familiar with - your own collection

Hook up with the Pune TBHPians - they are always willing to share experiences, auditions and beer. You will come away wiser!

Thnx DerAlte i will audition with my collection of music and then make a final decision.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 19:31   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hmm, that means what for others is "extremely bright" (almost every one here says that of Polk), is "good clarity" for you.
Where from? Half of what - 'list price' or 'what the dealer originally said it is'?

The way part numbers are constructed, this one would indicate a 6x9 oval coax. How did you mount that in the front??? Or is this DB6501 by any chance?
Not distinctively better or worse than JBLGTO937 (currently the most VFM of the 6x9's) or other 6x9 oval coaxials; you anyhow like the brightness of Polk speakers
You could use the GT5-A604 4-ch, which in grey might be the same price as the GTO 2-ch one that you are considering. The GTO 75.4 would be excellent value, much more than the 2-ch one, IF you can get one.
Quote:
Getting the auditions here in Bangalore is a big problem./quote]Going through the threads on TBHP, you should be able to get the bearings of the numerous Benga-boys, like @s0uljah, @vid6639, @rjstyles, @blueraven (who incidentally has a joint of his own)! PM them - you can have access to audition of a wide variety of systems. An offer of beer is usually a good enabler!
Sorry, I have picked up the Polk DB6501 Components, I purchased them for half their market price at national market (wo b/w). So for me Polk is also value for money at these prices.

Polk and Boston have around 50% margin, that's why you can get them at very low prices compared to their MRP.

I just auditioned the Infinity reference and JBL GTO 937 coaxials, I will audition the Polk again in my friends swift and then decide.

Basically I want clarity and good bass from my coaxials.
Old 31st March 2008, 20:21   #1461
BHPian

Found a good review on 6x9 speakers:

http://www.soundstream.com/images/ma...ST6.9_shot.pdf

Do you get soundstream in Bangalore? If yes, where and what price?
Old 31st March 2008, 22:16   #1462
BHPian

Question Where do I buy the ICE equipment from?

Hi all,
I'm having a hard time trying to source all my preferred ICE equipment and who else to ask but the Gurus!!
From the numerous posts that I've gone through, narrowed down my choice to the following:
HU: Pio 6050/5090
Front components: JBL GTO 607c / Illusion Electra Component EL 6.1
Rear speakers: JBL GTO 637
Amp/Sub: not sure, depends if budget allows for it after buying the above components
I've tried 4-5 places and they're missing one or the other component.
EB Bass does not stock JBL speakers; the guy from Sprocket said they don't have Pio HUs and was trying to sell Sony; Reliance Digital does not have JBL components; couple of other car accessory places (forgot the names) had similar issues. Damn!!
Is there any place that I can go to in B'lore and get all my short listed components? I'm kinda tired of running around....help
Oops...almost forgot, here's the checklist:
1. Your Car: Swift VDi
2. Your current setup (If any): None
3. Your Budget: 25k
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Self driven 100% of the time
5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Rock
Additional Information:
6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Boot space maybe, modify door panels:definitely not

Would appreciate any help that comes by!
ozzyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 09:44   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
... I've tried 4-5 places and they're missing one or the other component....
Try Sound Factor, corner building on Lavelle Road near the circle on Vittal Mallya Road.

The Pio HU you could pick up from National Market and get it installed from wherever you are getting the speakers from.

Last edited by DerAlte : 1st April 2008 at 09:46.
Old 12th April 2008, 08:05   #1464
BHPian

Audio Gurus please help me out. I have got my new swift LDI and the dealer has given me a free set of Audio. The following are the details-

HU- SONY CDX-GT 270 S

Speakers- XS - GF 1622 X- 2 way speaker 190

Since they came free I have no other option but to use them.(Otherwise I would have gone for blaupunkt HU and speakers and my budget was 15 K.)
I seek your advice on the following points-

(i) Which speakers would be best compatible to the above set up as I have to fit 2 more speakers.
(ii) I don't want to put a tray over the boot, unless you guys strictly recommend me to do so and I request you to kindly disclose the reasons for putting a tray.
(iii) Also suggest whether the sound quality of the above set up is really bad and whether I should trade them off.

Kindly help me out
Gautam Misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 10:35   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
... the dealer has given me a free set of Audio. The following are the details-
HU- SONY CDX-GT 270 S
Speakers- XS - GF 1622 X- 2 way speaker 190

Since they came free I have no other option but to use them...
Nothing comes for free - that is an illusion. TANSTAFL! Anyhow, nothing is lost.
Quote:
(i) Which speakers would be best compatible to the above set up as I have to fit 2 more speakers.
Depends on what you can get where you are: JBL and Blaupunkt are the 2 likely brands that you can get. Get components (separate mid-bass and tweeters in a package) for the front, shift the 2-ways to the rear. Stock Swift door locations take 6.5" (I think; please double check in this thread). The tweeter can be mounted on the door, inside the mirror pod or at the base of the A-pillar; there are plenty of installation pics here to understand how.
Quote:
(ii) I don't want to put a tray over the boot, unless you guys strictly recommend me to do so and I request you to kindly disclose the reasons for putting a tray.
The preferred location would be the rear doors. You need the tray only if you want to put 6x9 coaxes, which don't fit into the stock door locations. 6x9 coaxes are the next best option to using a sub for good bass, better than what conventional round coaxes give out.
Quote:
(iii) Also suggest whether the sound quality of the above set up is really bad and whether I should trade them off.
Nothing can be considered bad by others, per se, if you like the sound that is coming out - only YOUR ears matter. It can always be better - you can judge for yourself by listening to systems in other cars (difficult in your location). Maybe the best for you would be to shift them to the rear (selling them would hardly get you anything) and get components in front.
Old 16th April 2008, 17:23   #1466
BHPian

Default Replacing kenwood HU with Pioneer HU

Hi All,

I want to replace my Kenwood HU in my Swift ZXi to Pioneer, and after long search I decided on to go for Pioneer DEH-P6050UB. My budget is close to 10K. So please suggest me where can I find one in Hyderabad and what would be the cost of it.

Waiting for your response.

Rgds,
Rajneesh
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 20:22   #1467
BHPian

At this budget you may get one from grey(without B&W). But before you buy one just confirm the random play issue with this model as posted by few in the following forum. Do take a demo.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...oneer-hus.html
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 19:45   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Default Suggestions on Swift ICE

Hello Gentlemen

I would be receiving my new Swift VDI next month and im planning on ICE setup for the same. Im going in for a complete setup with HU+Front Components+Rear 6X9 Coaxials/6" coaxials+Amp+Sub. I have a good installer in chennai who is known to me and will do the job neatly. I have decided to go in for Pioneer HU along with JBL speakers, sub and amplifier. Im a vivid music lover and listen to all kind of music and though doesnt listen to loud music, i like the bass effect more. Taking these things into consideration following is the advice that i would require.
- The model numbers of the good front compos and coax in JBL for swift.
- Also the front speaker provision is for 6" and what difference does a 6.5" speaker make there in terms of effect and sound quality? Which one would you suggest?
- Would you suggest going in for a MDF parcel tray for rear speakers or the stock location on the rear doors taking into consideration my setup? (I would be doing the complete setup in one shot)
- Do i need seperate tweeters on the dash?
- Which sub to go for, a basstube or box enclosure? what difference this makes and the model numbers also please...
- Model number for a appropriate 4 channel JBL amplifier.

Last but not the least, budget isnt a constraint for me. Im more inclined towards having a satisfactory listening experience. Advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 01:06   #1469
Senior - BHPian

@Bala80:
Front: JBL 607C
Rear 6x9: JBL 937
Rear 6" : JBL 637
Since you're getting a sub-woofer, 6"ers in the rear door should be enough. No need for the MDF parcel tray.
The Front two-way components come with tweeters.So, you dont need separate tweeters.

The Sub in a sealed box is tight and one in a bass tube is boomy. JBL has CS1204B(box) and CS1204T(tube) enlcosed subs.

Get the JBL GTO 1004 amp. This would be the right choice for a single amp setup.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2008, 01:17   #1470
BANNED

Adding to Nitrous' suggestion, I would recommend you to get an Alpine HU with 3 pre outs. It will definitely make a lots of difference to the listening experience.
As it is a matter of different music tastes, it would be better you give the alpine a testing session if possible.

Get a sealed box subwoofer. Nothing can match it's bass accuracy and tightness. And it won't be that loud too.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote