Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 1st June 2006, 22:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Pioneer Audio system - My choice for Alto

I am booking a ALTO LXi in a week. After much research and with help from Pioneer marketing people and many Bhpians like JKdas, lowbassmaker etc, I have decided to go for the following combination:

DEH 3850(Head unit)+TSA 1010(Front)+TSA 1640(rear)

My budget was limited to 12K. Hence this decision.

Any suggestions to better this choice? I am looking at obtaining good bass.
Would appreciate your suggestions that will fall within my budget. Any good installers in chennai. I know Emperor car accessories of Cochin very well. But cant take the car to cochin just for this.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 22:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Any particular reason why u zeroed in on the 3850?? Can't u get a better HU like the DEH 5850??

BTW, how for how much are u getting the DEH3850? The DEH5850 sells at arnd 8k
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 22:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Any particular reason why u zeroed in on the 3850?? Can't u get a better HU like the DEH 5850??

BTW, how for how much are u getting the DEH3850? The DEH5850 sells at arnd 8k
DEH 3850 plays all formats, has multi colour display and a remote. Its 8K with Bill & 2 year warranty. DEH 5850 itself is 12.5K. I cant afford it Karthik.

I am not a gr8 music buff. I thought normal stuff will do. Do let me know your suggestions. Also is it better to have the rear speakers on the parcel tray or intergrated on the boot??

Last edited by mail4ajo : 1st June 2006 at 22:41.
Old 1st June 2006, 22:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Which car do u have?? If u have a hatch, u'll need to replace the parcel tray with a MDF one otherwise it'll rattle.
Old 1st June 2006, 23:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Which car do u have?? If u have a hatch, u'll need to replace the parcel tray with a MDF one otherwise it'll rattle.
I am getting an Alto. What is an MDF tray? Excuse my lack of knowledge.
Old 1st June 2006, 23:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

I'd look at the JBL CS series instead of Pionner speakers. They run about 4.5K for front and rear and will fit your budget give or take rs. 500.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 23:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its basically a wooden tray , which replaces ur OE one cuz its too light to hold the speakers.
Old 2nd June 2006, 00:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I'd look at the JBL CS series instead of Pionner speakers. They run about 4.5K for front and rear and will fit your budget give or take rs. 500.
Any exact model nos you can give on the JBL. Will help me check prices. Why do you suggest this piece? Any USPs?
Old 2nd June 2006, 07:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

make sure what excatly do u want in terms of front fill....4" or 5.25" or bigger. I cant comment as i dunno what max can be fixed at stock locations in an Alto. As for prices. model # and USP you can PM Sam Kapasi. He's the only one here who can help you on JBL.

based on your inputs, u wd find an answer here.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

Model numbers change too fast for my liking (an senile memory) but trust me I your dealer would be able to give you more details or if you are feeling brave PM Guru Sam.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006, 13:52   #11
BHPian

The Alto can take only 4 inch in the stock location in the dash. Anything bigger will need a spacer ring or cutting of the front door panels.

And like Navin said, why buy Pio speakers. The JBL CS series will be a far better bet.
Vivekphadnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006, 14:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
I am booking a ALTO LXi in a week. After much research and with help from Pioneer marketing people and many Bhpians like JKdas, lowbassmaker etc, I have decided to go for the following combination:

DEH 3850(Head unit)+TSA 1010(Front)+TSA 1640(rear)

My budget was limited to 12K. Hence this decision.

Any suggestions to better this choice? I am looking at obtaining good bass.
Would appreciate your suggestions that will fall within my budget. Any good installers in chennai. I know Emperor car accessories of Cochin very well. But cant take the car to cochin just for this.
My Alto has a JBL(220W) in the back, no board, it can be installed on the door, othewise bootspace is gone...
front sony(120W)...sorry need to check out the exact number...
My system is SONY350...it caters to everything which u want...with bill/warranty shud cost u around 9k, check out for other new models, there can be more upgrade...the JBLs cost me Rs3850, i dont exactly remember the front speaker cost(around 1500 may be)...

Belive me, I feel that was more than enough, infact 170W in the back is enough...I hardly use the music to fulll, it just blasts !!! you can use this 220W JBLs during a party when nobody is inside the car rather than using inside it...

At your budget, Go for JBLs, they are the best, u will never repent...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006, 15:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy
Belive me, I feel that was more than enough, infact 170W in the back is enough...I hardly use the music to fulll, it just blasts !!! you can use this 220W JBLs during a party when nobody is inside the car rather than using inside it...

At your budget, Go for JBLs, they are the best, u will never repent...

Abhi
akroy, I understand that you are trying to be helpful over here, and it's nice to hear that you are enjoying every penny you spent on the JBLs. This should be useful to the gentleman looking to buy his car stereo.

The only correction is that you are stating the max power handlings of the speakers and correlating that in some way with the power output.

The 170W JBL and the 220W JBL would differ in a) power handling, i.e. the max amount of power that it can be fed from a receiver/ amplifier without damaging it, and b) sound quality since they are from 2 different series (I assume?!?) So hooking up a 220W JBL to a head unit will not necessarily mean that it will be louder. But it could mean that it will sound cleaner because it uses better drivers. If I am not mistaken, the 170W and the 220W refers to 6x9s from the CS series and the GTO series respectively. The GTO series uses a dome tweeter and must probably sound better.

And don't try to turn up the volume all the way on head units directly driving 2/ 4 speakers. The speakers can handle more than the HU can deliver and you'll end up distorting and ruining the speakers.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006, 15:48   #14
BHPian

better go for JBl speakers ,save on a pioneer's Hu(buy a one in 6-6.5k)....rest 6 k invest in speakers
speedofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
akroy, I understand that you are trying to be helpful over here, and it's nice to hear that you are enjoying every penny you spent on the JBLs. This should be useful to the gentleman looking to buy his car stereo.

The only correction is that you are stating the max power handlings of the speakers and correlating that in some way with the power output.

The 170W JBL and the 220W JBL would differ in a) power handling, i.e. the max amount of power that it can be fed from a receiver/ amplifier without damaging it, and b) sound quality since they are from 2 different series (I assume?!?) So hooking up a 220W JBL to a head unit will not necessarily mean that it will be louder. But it could mean that it will sound cleaner because it uses better drivers. If I am not mistaken, the 170W and the 220W refers to 6x9s from the CS series and the GTO series respectively. The GTO series uses a dome tweeter and must probably sound better.

And don't try to turn up the volume all the way on head units directly driving 2/ 4 speakers. The speakers can handle more than the HU can deliver and you'll end up distorting and ruining the speakers.
Bass,

This has confused me due to the reason that I am totally new to car audio systems. Can you tell me the best combination (front and rear) speakers for the Pioneer DEH 3850 (50W x 4 )?

I am looking at obatining good bass and of course I want the speakers to live long......