Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th June 2006, 12:16   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Steeroid, I am not defending anybody or for that matter anyones spending habits. I am just voicing an observation that you do tend to visit this thread a lot, criticise one person in particular, and repeatedly take a crap on the very thing this whole section is about... I.C.E.

When do you this, you not only hurt the sentiments of the person you have been criticising repeatedly, but you have also hurt my sentiments... and probably others here who love this madness and spend every waking hour dreaming of this stuff. Now their budget may be 5k, 50k, 5L or beyond... their love of music, audio and cars is no less than any other.

You have voiced your opinion several times, and its clear you think everyone who spends more that 20k on ICE is a wasteful bugger with no appreciation for money. Like Tool, I would like to remind you that what they intend to do with their money is entirely their wish and while you are most welcome to your opinion, sarcasm and blatant criticism is not welcome here.

This is the ICE section of the forum. Full of folks who love this more than or as much as they love the horses under the hood of their car. Respect their passion, committment and if you cant help them, dont put em down.

I am glad you are in an environment where you can easily afford a performance machine for the money we spend on a basic car and accessories. Keep in mind that in your environment, our cars would cost less than yours. Now considering that income levels are lower in this part of the world and cars, ICE is more expensive, I would respect these guys even more.

So please keep an open mind, else you constant sneering will earn you a new name... Sneeroid. Please dont be offended by the above, like you, I too have an opinion...
Hear! Hear!! Well said indeed.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 16:25   #347
Senior - BHPian

Why are people suddenly avoiding this thread ??... Lets get all Q's relating to my install back in here !~!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
thats the problem! Either Ihave to go to bangy or wait till I hear kb's install ( when? ). But then I need to hear teh Hertz. And then it would sound different in a sedan.
Told ya... in a fortnight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hey,

You driving down to Delhi or what.

Viper
I wish I was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
Not a bad idea.....what say KB ?
I say its a very BAD idea.. (hmmmmm.. and must I be worried olredi... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
KB, I'll come with you. Pick me up from Bombay.
Sam ... Come on down here... we drive down to Kerala together... We will do local toddy and fiery red crab curry and some assorted legs including those of a few species of frogs.. ... hell I'll even get a local lissome lass - appropriately atttired- to help you make the 'Bassy Notes' that may be required to punctuate things every now and then... we can take the entire show on a boat down the backwaters... telling you .. is amazing during the monsoons! ... toddy-shoddy... crab-shab-'Nsome 'Grab'.. all ending in a boat-shot!! ..

Howzaaat??
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 21:43   #348
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Why are people suddenly avoiding this thread ??... Lets get all Q's relating to my install back in here !~!..

Sam ... Come on down here... we drive down to Kerala together... We will do local toddy and fiery red crab curry and some assorted legs including those of a few species of frogs.. ... hell I'll even get a local lissome lass - appropriately atttired- to help you make the 'Bassy Notes' that may be required to punctuate things every now and then... we can take the entire show on a boat down the backwaters... telling you .. is amazing during the monsoons! ... toddy-shoddy... crab-shab-'Nsome 'Grab'.. all ending in a boat-shot!! ..

Howzaaat??
KB! seems you've to shine some more coins here to get more people pouring in!! What about getting a Becker, F1 Status or a Mcintosh ?

And Sam was here in Kerala couple a months ago and did'nt get all those thingys you're speakin about. Next time He'll have your company for sure by the promises you've made.

Any date confirmed man??? Losing sleep here man!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 00:05   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Any date confirmed man??? Losing sleep here man!
So have I ... So have I...

Jb & Gunman are fixing their travel plans... As it stands I have been told its the first week of July... This is getting fixed only by them whenever they can !
Old 27th June 2006, 09:41   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe when i was in kerala, KB100000 was either a sleeping member, or not a member.
JK was travelling. Can you believe i have not met a single keralite TBHPian. :( how annoying.

And KB is promising me toddy and fish and boats and kerala chicks today :(

lol, have fun installing your setup KB, the lord knows that this is one setup we are ALL dying to see pictures of.
Old 27th June 2006, 09:42   #351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
KB after your revelation I am so confused. I wont be surprised if ther others are too. Some are still recovering from shock and are sitting in front of their 21" LCD monitors agape and tounges hanging out (No Sam is not one of these although his tounge hangs out for another reason). The efficacy of the words you posted in your post 203 (page 14) in perplexing all of us cannot be understated. Now you want us to contribute? :-)

a) I dont know why you got such an amp when the rest of your system components were still in doubt.

b) A chain is only as strong as the weakest link. Suffice to say your AMP will NEVER be the weakest link but now you have to get a HU, Speakers and an install (wires, damping, etc...) that can be worthy of the Tru Tech. To do that you are looking at a system that might run about 5L. Few HUs are that good (I'm given to believe that Clarion's HX D2, Becker Traffic Pro 7995 / Mexico 7948, Alpine 7998 / 7990, etc... might past the muster) and fewer speakers are that good.

All I need to know if when you system is done i would be lovely if we could listen to it when we visit.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 09:43   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
have fun installing your setup KB, the lord knows that this is one setup we are ALL dying to see pictures of.
I'd much rather listen to it!
Old 27th June 2006, 10:07   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with Navin.

You have indicated a desire for the superlative by choosing the tru-tech. Agreed you could put in a decent high quality system, with your amp as a shining star. But your desire for the superlative could not possibly have ended with the purchase of the amplifier.

I love what you are doing here,

KB i am behind you all the way. but personally, i would not be using a pioneer head unit with a tru amp. (Which doesn't mean that it wont work well, it will sound fantastic - I am just telling you what I would have done)

And yes, by purchasing an amplifier of that calibre, to truly appreciate every bit of that amplifier you would need about 3 lacs for some seriously exotic equipment and cables, apart from what you have paid for that amp.
Old 27th June 2006, 10:21   #354
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I would agree with sam and navin .. 1L for the amp ?? Dont u think its obvious enough that u ought to spend atleast 50k for a good HU , 1L for compos and subs , another 20-30k for wiring , caps etc etc .. Just to make it all fit the quality u expect from the amp .. Now i can see u getting a heart attack .. 3L for an ICE setup ??? Wow , cant wait to hear this ..

PS : JB and gunman , pls inform me of ur arrival .. Might need a few stuff for my car too ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 10:32   #355
Team-BHP Support

Since we are getting into the numbers this is my break up.

1. HU: 50-60K some models listed above
2. Amps: 1L+ (one may need to add a second amp)
3. Speakers: 1L for front, rear and a sub Focal, Iridium, Rainbow, ID (sub) ...
4: Sound treatement and custom panels and boxes incl labour
5. Wires: Consider a mix of wires including Kimber Silver for tweeters.
Time: Lots and lots of to tune this system to perfection. I would say it would take anywhere from 50-100 hrs of tuning.

Items 4 and 5 would hardly have a budget. In addition to this I would consider a really sturdy car as the platform. Skoda's Superb or Audi A6 would be my bet depending on car budget.

Psst Sam you wanna rob a bank! :-)
Old 27th June 2006, 10:47   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
5. Wires: Consider a mix of wires including Kimber Silver for tweeters.

In addition to this I would consider a really sturdy car as the platform. Skoda's Superb or Audi A6 would be my bet depending on car budget.

Psst Sam you wanna rob a bank! :-)
I have already suggested VDH to KB (as i have access).

Navin, now you are asking him to change his car?? You indeed are a wicked wicked old man.
KB, don't mind us, we're having a little tongue in cheek at your expense.

But in all fairness, if you intend to fit this all in a hyundai, you will need to get your car HEAVILY and professionally deadened.

IMHO, you will have to first buy atleast 4 packs of Wurth (6 sheets in each), (I can find you a Wurth contact in your state) and drive your car to the service centre where they can strip it and deaden it all over. The objective of deadening will be to minimize external noises and the vibrations etc of the car itself. I would suggest you get that done BEFORE the audio-masters come visit you, so that their time is saved. (Wurth India sales managers will also help the hyundai service manager with instructions on what panels to deaden etc)

Alternatively you could buy large quantities of spray deadener (I believe Gunbir distributes these too). After stripping all the panels of the car, you could liberally spray the suggested areas so as to deaden the entire hyundai as much as possible.

Then will be the Damping/deadening for the audio: you will need to buy AZ comp damping sheets (quantity: as suggested by JB) and hand that over to your installer to use in and around the audio install.

If you do all that, you may not need to change the car
Old 27th June 2006, 11:06   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have already suggested VDH to KB (as i have access).

Navin, now you are asking him to change his car?? You indeed are a wicked wicked old man.
KB, don't mind us, we're having a little tongue in cheek at your expense.
No I was seriously only thinking of how to get the best out of that fantastic amp. After all Sam if you bought Wadia, a pair of Mark Levinson (also part of Harmon Intl.) or Krell KSA 100 and B&W Nautillus would you stuff them into a 200 sq. ft. room without sound treatment?

A chain is only as strong as the weakest link and in this case after the wires, HU and speakers are suitable chosen the car will be weakest link. I think that KB would need to double the deadening you are recommending. I find that the internal door panels of the Elantra are particularly flimsy for a 10 L car. The Accent is even worse and the one I saw was the Tornado which their upmarket version. The 5-6L Opel Sail is sturdier made. I love the way the Krauts make cars.

Some tips acan be got from here http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/189943/4 and remember this is a VW so it is sturdier than the Accent or Elantra.

Last edited by navin : 27th June 2006 at 11:08.
Old 27th June 2006, 11:35   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

An update;

1. HU: Pio P80RS; he should get it by thsi weekend; so that part is over.
2. Amps: Amp for rear, emm.
3. Speakers: 2 ID subs already bought. Pending stuff, a good frnt compo and a rear co-ax?
4: Sound treatement and custom panels and boxes incl labour
5. Wires: bought wire etc worth 22k .

Do you know that its easy for kb to rob a bank?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 11:35   #359
Senior - BHPian

OHMIGAWD... I would have NEVER thought buying One amp would have gotten me into THIS kind of trouble!! ..

Yes.... I understand and agree with all that you have said!. I will do everything you say - b ut over a period of time... Oven one helluva long period of time!! -- Jeeez! got me One Wife -- so far (SAM HELP!!) .. and two adorable daughters.. .. we gotta eat you know!

Anyways!.. SAM .. WIll love it if you could PM me the cost of the stuff we discussed.

Deadening - I have one bulk pack of Dynamat Etreme - We can buy as much of the others as may be required - BUT - remind everyone this install is temporary - at the outside less than 10 months - I am going to be upgrading the car - and with SAM's help, and my share of the bank robbery proceeds , a Superb may be the lowest on my car-shoping list! SAM - Select the bank well - you know one with lots 'O damsels working - then we can hold a few of them as hostages and wait for that 'hostage' syndrome to work in our favour (you know the part how the hostage starts empathising with the captors - what is it called - Helsinki syndrome?? -whatever..!)

Anyways... The install therefore is not going to see too much spend - except for some good speekars, Excellent subs, a good HU (- I'm sure the P80RS aint no pushover), a good install and shorely some good tuning!

All resulting in some good sound I hope!- and Sammie .. you can teach me how to use all this sound-vound PLUS a couple of nice strategically placed cushions to make some sine-waves of our own .. lol!!

Now I am off for a Meeting! - need more moolah na ... :o(

Last edited by kb100 : 27th June 2006 at 11:42.
Old 27th June 2006, 11:44   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
then we can hold a few of them as hostages and wait for that 'hostage' syndrome to work in our favour (you know the part how the hostage starts empathising with the captors - what is it called - Helsinki syndrome?? -whatever..!)
Its called Stockholm syndrome...

Guys, why must you pick on poor (by now he should be) KB only, there are far bigger spenders on this forum... eg LBM, Speedzak
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote