Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 5th July 2006, 01:57   #436
BANNED

Hey suddenly, Everybody is speaking some serious sense.

And congrats SAM! You've done it first. And I think as good friends, everybody is supposed to help each other with Audio and also to help control their 'Out of control' syndromes.

Now guyz! a serious question: What's a limit to a car audio in spending terms? I mean to get a good audio system according to the experts (not for professional purposes) how much is the decent amount needed these days? Now, Pls dont say we need to know the type of music habits etc... Just a plain good sounding system with a sub, components, better than entry level HU, 2 Amps etc..
I think this wil help many who're looking for a decent system but have no idea how much to spend!! And many a times, they get fooled by either getting lower end systems or spending more than needed.

So guys, Pls help the world out here.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 02:21   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Now guyz! a serious question: What's a limit to a car audio in spending terms? I mean to get a good audio system according to the experts (not for professional purposes) how much is the decent amount needed these days? Now, Pls dont say we need to know the type of music habits etc... Just a plain good sounding system with a sub, components, better than entry level HU, 2 Amps etc..
Speedzak, good question. IMHO, there is no limit on spending for your passion. You really think KB will stop at this. I know for sure he will want to upgrade something or the other soon enough.

That said. A serious system (the kind you mentioned) nowdays should cost around 65k. This includes a 10k HU with 3 preouts, 8K front comp, 5K rear coax, 8K for 12" sub, 28k for 5ch amp, 3K for power cables and interconnects, and finally 3K for damping. We have seen many such systems and they get quite loud, play clean and sound great. The 5ch amp helps keep wiring simple, and conserve precious space in our cars.

But then, for small cars, I really liked SK456's system. A good HU @ 8k, 3way comp set @ 12k, and a good 4ch amp @ 10k, a 10" sub @ 7k. Including damping say 40K.

Cheers.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 10:00   #438
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Sujit , just like everyone have said calm down a little and think about it .. I too was this exited during my ICE time .. Initially had a open budget then actually sat down and put down a budget of 70k (as i could see things going out of hand) and worked around it .. There was a time when i would make an excuse to take the car out just to listen to the music , but with time it all dies down .. Today i drive listening to a few select songs from a earphone connected to my cell phone , though i still have the very same system wired (most of it) in the baleno ..

Let the initial hype die down and its only then ul know the importance of what sam has said .. That said THT (tottoooed hairy paid) well done ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 10:19   #439
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
That said. A serious system (the kind you mentioned) nowdays should cost around 65k. This includes a 10k HU with 3 preouts, 8K front comp, 5K rear coax, 8K for 12" sub, 28k for 5ch amp, 3K for power cables and interconnects, and finally 3K for damping..
a 5 ch amp does keep things simple but if your budget does not go that high one could replace it with a small 4 ch. amp and a 2/1 ch. amp. Beyond a 2 amp layout things gt complex and expensive.

Ideally though I wish they made more 2 + 2 + 1 ch. amps. I always feel the need for more power in the front that the rears. So an amp that was 50Wx2, 30Wx2 and 150Wx1 would be nice.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 12:24   #440
Senior - BHPian

Full Calm these parts.... Not even the leaves are stirring!...

I have no news of mua P80 either... hope its not drowned in the Mumbai Floods...
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 12:25   #441
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
a 5 ch amp does keep things simple but if your budget does not go that high one could replace it with a small 4 ch. amp and a 2/1 ch. amp. Beyond a 2 amp layout things gt complex and expensive.

Ideally though I wish they made more 2 + 2 + 1 ch. amps. I always feel the need for more power in the front that the rears. So an amp that was 50Wx2, 30Wx2 and 150Wx1 would be nice.
Yes! Manufacturers should pay more attention in 1 amp per car type of setups rather than 3 amps per car types. They should emphasize more on 5 channel amps which can be a better alternative than 4channel amp plus 1monoblock amp installs. Of course, I'm speaking of the trouble and mess which comes free with 2 amp setups.

So if an amp is designed to produce 50+W for the front channels, 35+W for the rear channels and 200+W for the sub, (it can be made with less power too as navinji said) then I think most people will think about going for it and most of all many will be pleased with their audio setups.
Installers will be happy too as it'll take less time for installation and less of a mess!

Whattya guys say??
Old 5th July 2006, 13:25   #442
Senior - BHPian

Yes... All great... but guess they will NEVER do it... how else are they going to sell more amps??

Somwhat like NOkia etc ... they will never bundle all popolar features into one phone.. they will always leave something lacking...

My ideal 4 channel amp... 150 x 4 + 500 x 1 ... and another option to be provided alongside..

150 x 4 (MIdbass & midrange )+ 75 x 2 (Tweets) + 300 x 2 ( TWO SUBZ!!)

Last edited by kb100 : 5th July 2006 at 13:29.
Old 5th July 2006, 15:06   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
.Jl audio has this amplifier in slash series which is available for around $600-800.If i am not wrong it is 130x2-30x2-250x1.Infact i almost won a bid for this 2nd hand jl amplifier from a Non-residant Paki on eaby.com fro abt $300 but this 11 hour time gap made me to live without this great amplifier.These slash series jl amplifier come with regulated power supply whether supplied voltage is 12v or 14v.

Quote:
Pls dont say we need to know the type of music habits etc... Just a plain good sounding system with a sub, components, better than entry level HU, 2 Amps etc..
again .Even i have not understood why experts asks for music taste/habits.U need same sweetness of sound with crisp & clear mids integrated well with lows and highs whether u r playing songs with heavy bass or listening some ghazals with no background bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb100000
My ideal 4 channel amp... 150 x 4 + 500 x 1 ... and another option to be provided alongside..

150 x 4 (MIdbass & midrange )+ 75 x 2 (Tweets) + 300 x 2 ( TWO SUBZ!!)
so now limousine car is on ur wish list.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 5th July 2006 at 15:08.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 15:18   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
again .Even i have not understood why experts asks for music taste/habits.U need same sweetness of sound with crisp & clear mids integrated well with lows and highs whether u r playing songs with heavy bass or listening some ghazals with no background bass.
I beg to differ. Real strong. If a person told me he listened to Eminem and LL coolJ, as opposed to someone who liked Dave Matthews and Pink Floyd - AND all i did was suggest the same system for both people... there's something wrong with my advice.
Doc, Consider the importance of lows and highs in one and Mids in the other. To a person who likes crisp live, upfront and in your face coloured sound, your system may sound like crap to them.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 16:21   #445
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I beg to differ. Real strong. If a person told me he listened to Eminem and LL coolJ, as opposed to someone who liked Dave Matthews and Pink Floyd - AND all i did was suggest the same system for both people... there's something wrong with my advice.
Doc, Consider the importance of lows and highs in one and Mids in the other. To a person who likes crisp live, upfront and in your face coloured sound, your system may sound like crap to them.
Yes, Music tastes do count when coming to choose a system. It has to suite personal tastes.

What I meant in my query is: For a normal person who listens to all these but not influented by any specific music, what will be a good system which can play almost every type with a certain amount of quality. It should handle mids and highs clearly and also produce some good bass for example.
And I think what Gunbir answered is a good one! Yes, 65k is a realiatic amount and this much is more or less sufficient for a decent system.

Again, spending for a passion sometimes carries no limit. And it can be more like a sickness. I was almost reaching there when suddenly SAM etc.. started speaking sense!!!
Old 5th July 2006, 16:34   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Ok Sam,advice me 2 systems for 20k and 70k for someone who likes Eminem and for other who likes Pink floyed.

I joined this forum just less than a yr ago and all we have been recommending is system with a HU,front components,rear coaxial and 1/2 subw in sealed/ported box.If someone likes music with strong mids/vocals,we never recommend him 3-way.Infact 3-way only comes to picture when that person is putting in more budget or can modify his car.

Yes i agree that someone may like tight/punchy bass and other like bass from ported boxes.Infcat there r few who will be enjoying to glory with just tweeters in front and 2-3 subw in back,like that delhi guy.
Old 5th July 2006, 18:16   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Infcat there r few who will be enjoying to glory with just tweeters in front and 2-3 subw in back,like that delhi guy.

WHO DAT DOC.... Who can that be now??...
Old 5th July 2006, 20:53   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
WHO DAT DOC.... Who can that be now??...
I think u missed that guy.It was abt 3-4 months back.Gunbir/JB may have some information abt him...

Right now i dont think we can have anyone like him.Now everyone is talkinh abt 3-way active,SQ,alpine PXA processor,amplifier worth one lac,pio80rs and what not........

Last edited by rsjaurr : 5th July 2006 at 20:55.
Old 5th July 2006, 23:21   #449
BANNED

I think that PioP80rs has become so famous because of this 1,00,000 guy that I assume it is the highest sold HU for the time being!!

BTW, people are thinking against 'ovals plus SUB' setup and going for 'Compos plus SUB' setups. Is it the signs of good times or bad??
Old 5th July 2006, 23:48   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, people are thinking against 'ovals plus SUB' setup and going for 'Compos plus SUB' setups. Is it the signs of good times or bad??
Hubba-Hubba-Hubba GOOD!!