Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th August 2013, 10:17   #16
BHPian

Default re: Predator gets some SQ ICE: Hyundai Verna Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Lots of queries on the cost of the setup. Here goes:

Rainbow Soundline Components - 20K
Infinity Kappa 120.9 Sub - 7K (Stock price 15K)
Audison LRx 4.1 - 40K (Stock price 62K. This is only a limited stock/limited period offer, I'm told)
Damping (Dampmat) - 6K (6 sheets for the front and rear doors)
Damping (Stinger Roadkill Expert) - 6K (4 sheets for the boot and parcel tray)
Cabling (Total) - 6K
Installation - 2.5K (incl MDF board and carpeting in the boot)

Total Cost - 87.5K
Thank you for the detailed price break-up, brilliant set-up, specially the amp.

This set-up desperately needs a better HU, and something with TA would do wonders, Pioneer 80PRS if you want pure SQ, or the Pioneer 8490 if want good SQ and touch screen video and warranty !

Also a bulk pack of Dampmat would have costed you a little less and would have done the job equally well, any reasons for using two brands of damping material?

And how is the build quality on the SL-Cs?(I know about their SQ capabilities!) I have found most speakers built very flimsily (at least they look that way!) as compared to most speakers from Focal. I am working on a new set-up since some time now, and as much as I value SQ, I want my speakers to be built tough too!
599gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 11:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Thank you for the detailed price break-up, brilliant set-up, specially the amp.
You're welcome. The amp was a chance buy (only bought because the IK4 wouldn't function). Otherwise my total cost would have ended up much lesser.

Quote:
This set-up desperately needs a better HU, and something with TA would do wonders, Pioneer 80PRS if you want pure SQ, or the Pioneer 8490 if want good SQ and touch screen video and warranty !
There were 2 reasons to retain the original HU.

1. The Kenwood DPX - MP4070 (my HU) which came OEM with Vernas till 2008 was known for neutral SQ output and some good features. Of course no match to the tunability and features (including TA) of a modern HU, but no slouch either. You can read about its capabilities here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BrAa2sC...l#overview-tab

Retaining the Kenwood would give me a chance to figure how much my original sound improves. The lack of a 3rd preamp was not a factor since I was running only a front-stage setup and a sub.

2. I have a collection of rare Jazz and Rock in cassettes, picked up from the flea-markets of Free School street (Kolkata) and the like over last 15 years. No modern HU supports cassettes, the Kenwood does. Wouldn't like them to go completely disfunctional as of now, would rather hear them out in my new setup.

Yesterday we did another session of retuning at motor concepts, and even Aman agreed that the setup is sounding as good as a "Without time alignment" setup can sound. As said before, I've finalized a modern HU with TA and all features, which I'm now thinking of as a future upgrade.

Quote:
Also a bulk pack of Dampmat would have costed you a little less and would have done the job equally well, any reasons for using two brands of damping material?
We decided to go with Dampmat for the doors and SRE for the Boot (since Dampmat is reported to have adheshive issues for boot application). The cost shot up yesterday, as the complex parcel tray gaps took up 2 sheets of SRE to plug. I'm not complaining. Have let Motor concepts have a free hand here as long as my sound doesn't suffer.

Quote:
And how is the build quality on the SL-Cs?(I know about their SQ capabilities!) I have found most speakers built very flimsily (at least they look that way!) as compared to most speakers from Focal. I am working on a new set-up since some time now, and as much as I value SQ, I want my speakers to be built tough too!
Build quality is an elusive unicorn we love to chase . Its human nature to think what looks well built will also last, and mostly we're not wrong! That was the reason I stuck to the IK 120.9 sub, because I've never seen a more well built sub (atleast within my budget).

To answer your question, the SL-Cs look much better built than earlier Rainbows. See the pics in this post by Notorious, after he upgraded to the new SL-Cs from the earlier SLG-Titans.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post2985244

That said the Rainbows didn't look as well built as the Audisons, which looked like they're carved from a single billet of shiny steel. But as said before, the midbass performance of the SL-Cs is in a different league altogether and I happily made the trade-off.
predatorwheelz is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 15:38   #18
BHPian

Awesome & Finally. Two words for this. Next time am in Delhi, the evening would be spent inside Predator and not in your drawing room,thatís for sure. I am planning for ICE'ing Airavaat, and was looking at the Rainbow as a contender, so would be needing your advice. And not to forget I would get you the HU from Kolkata tentatively next week.
me_sid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote