Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th September 2013, 11:24   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Advice: ICE upgrade in stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Amolpol,

1. I have often maintained that damping is the best and most VFM upgrade so damp well.

2. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link and in a moving car the CD player is often that link.

3. Make sure all your power wires are in good shape. 4GA would be minimum for a set up such as yours. Your don't need to get
Navinji, thank you for the comments. Damping is definitely on my mind for this install and the setup will be done with good quality cables as well.

Life can get unpredictable at times, and now I have some other requirements thrown in which have altered the plan a bit.

1. The system needs to be changed. I need a good 2DIn touchscreen unit and have looked at Kenwood DDX6033 and Pioneer AVH 8590BT. I believe most of the features are the same on both with 3 (4V) preouts and bluetooth and TA etc. Would there be any recommendation of one over the other based on experience or even hearsay for that matter.

I am personally biased towards the Pioneer more because I've been using the same brand for all these years with no issues whatsoever but I'm sure Kenwood may be equally better. Also, the APPradio thing in the Pio sounds a bit gadgety and will have more things to do with the phone.

2. The subwoofer has to be smaller than 12" from what I observed based on the space behind the last row of seats. So two 8inchers or 10inchers may be called in for service. I still have the JBL3501 with me, would another one of the same amps be good for driving the second sub or is there a single mono that can drive two subs.

Again, I would prefer the 8inch subs for the size but the Kappa subs are only in 10in and 12in sizes. There is an 8in sub in the reference series though. Also, for a sealed box for a tight bass requirement, what should be the ideal enclosure size and should I get one of those two subs in one type enclosure or separate boxes for each.

3. The components may still remain the same and so will the GTA475 amp - unless I learn something new again.
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 11:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
... Would there be any recommendation of one over the other based on experience or even hearsay for that matter. ...
IMPO the Kenwood sounds more neutral and natural.

Quote:
... I would prefer the 8inch subs for the size but the Kappa subs are only in 10in and 12in sizes. There is an 8in sub in the reference series though. ...
Check availability in market before deciding. The smaller subs are harder to find, even though they are listed in the (international) catalog.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 09:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
IMPO the Kenwood sounds more neutral and natural.
Will keep this in mind and get an audition if possible.

Quote:
Check availability in market before deciding. The smaller subs are harder to find, even though they are listed in the (international) catalog.
Thanks, will check it up before finalizing the setup. Any recommendations on the 8-inch subs? I know the Kappas aren't there so wondering if other brands have better alternatives than the Infinity Reference series.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Any recommendations on the 8-inch subs? I know the Kappas aren't there so wondering if other brands have better alternatives than the Infinity Reference series.
There is an 8" from Polk, in a pre-finished sealed box. Can't say it is better than Infinity Ref, though it is not bad at all. Small enough to go below seat.
Old 30th September 2013, 17:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
There is an 8" from Polk, in a pre-finished sealed box. Can't say it is better than Infinity Ref, though it is not bad at all. Small enough to go below seat.
Thanks and sorry about my long absence. I had a few other things to take care of before I returned to thinking about what ICE.

So now, here are some more questions on my requirement. The car in question is a Toyota Fortuner that we purchased recently.
  • When I look at the last row seat in a reclined position, I don't think it'll take a 12" sub enclosure very comfortably but I need to confirm on this. Sadly, my subwoofer is already gone so I don't have any size references with me as of now. If I move to a 10" sub, how much would that change the size for a sealed enclosure? Is anyone currently using a 12" setup or otherwise in the Fortuner or post pictures of their setup?
  • My initial impression about the stock system was really bad, but after listening to some MP3s yesterday I think it's okay for a stock system but nowhere near what I'd want it to be. I'm aware of losing the steering controls etc so would want to see what the stock HU has to offer before I change it. There wont be any regrets if I lose the steering controls but it'll save a lot of money if the current HU can run an amplifier setup. Does anyone know what system is being used and if there's a specs sheet for it? I was told that it doesn't have pre-outs for adding amps and I'll need a hi-lo converter which isn't what I'd like to do. Has anyone added a 4 channel and a mono amplifier to the stock system, if yes, how?
Old 2nd October 2013, 00:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I'm aware of losing the steering controls etc so would want to see what the stock HU has to offer before I change it. There wont be any regrets if I lose the steering controls but it'll save a lot of money if the current HU can run an amplifier setup.
If your system is Pioneer, I guess you will not lose the steering controls with the help of an adapter.
Have a check in vishal rathee's post below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-last-15.html (The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last)

Last edited by BIBIN004 : 2nd October 2013 at 00:07. Reason: Spell
BIBIN004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:10   #22
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

The ICE install on my fortuner was completed yesterday. Here's what the final install looked like:
  • HU - Pioneer 8590BT Double Din Touchscreen
  • Front Speakers - Infinity Kappa Components 62.7i
  • Rear Speakers - Infinity Kappa 2-way speakers 62.9i
  • Amplifiers - Blaupunkt GTA475 4-channel + JBL 3501 Mono Amp
  • Wiring - Ground Zero
  • Subwoofer - Ground Zero GZA10W (10" 250RMS)
  • Steering control interface
  • Camera Input adapter
  • Damping on all 4 doors

A more detailed review of the install can be found on my ownership thread. (Toyota Fortune-Her: A ride for the wife & maybe for life!)
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:52   #23
BHPian

Congratulations !!!

Looks sweet by the details, do share your reviews of the system and how did you arrive at it.
Is 10" subwoofer adequate for the Fortuner, what is the size of the box.
Hope you have used some velcrow to avoid the subwoofer moving around while driving.

Any ofcourse do share some pics of the setup.

Enjoy driving and listening.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

The ICE install on my fortuner was completed yesterday. Here's what the final install looked like:
  • Wiring - Ground Zero
  • Camera Input adapter
  • Damping on all 4 doors
A more detailed review of the install can be found on my ownership thread. (Toyota Fortune-Her: A ride for the wife & maybe for life!)
That's a fantastic upgrade my friend. Would be interested in knowing more details around the same. Cheers
BIBIN004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 14:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, @amolpol.

1. Where were the rear speakers (6x9 ovals) mounted?

2. Costs?
Old 17th October 2013, 12:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, @amolpol.

1. Where were the rear speakers (6x9 ovals) mounted?

2. Costs?
Thanks DerAlte,

1. The rear speakers are 6.5" round 2-way Kappas and not 6x9s. They were mounted in the stock door position.

2. Here's a rough breakup of the equipment

HU - 28.5k
Steering adapter - 3.5k
Wiring (2 sets for amp and harness) - 3k
Camera adapter - 850
Subwoofer - 4k
Enclosure - 1k
Dashboard Panel Adapter - 1.8k
Speakers (all four) - transferred from Safari
Amps (4ch and mono) - transferred from Safari
Damping (4 doors) - 5 sheets of 1200 each

As of now, I'm pretty happy with the setup and don't think I'll need any upgrades. I had almost sold off the JBL Mono Amp since I had plans to get the Kappa Mono to drive the 12" Kappa Subwoofer but since I have a 10" Ground Zero sub now, I'm glad that the JBL amp is enough to power it. Saved me quite a bit of money!

A big applause to everyone who poured in their suggestions and helped me make the right choice
Old 24th March 2014, 16:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]HU - Pioneer 8590BT Double Din Touchscreen
Hi Amol,
Congratulations for the car and looks like a pretty good audio system you have installed. How is the performance of the screen since this is a VGA Screen? how is the resolution? Does it give you crispy video and is the text too BIG?

Appreciate your response on this. Also did you get a chance to see the Kenwood? What were the deal breakers vis-a-vis the pioneer?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 11:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hi Amol,
Congratulations for the car and looks like a pretty good audio system you have installed. How is the performance of the screen since this is a VGA Screen? how is the resolution? Does it give you crispy video and is the text too BIG?

Appreciate your response on this. Also did you get a chance to see the Kenwood? What were the deal breakers vis-a-vis the pioneer?
The screen is pretty good in terms of the touch response although it's not capacitive like the mobile phones. As far as resolution for videos is concerned, I've never really used it for video and may never will, so can't really comment on how good or bad it is. But I'm assuming it's not going to be bad, the screen looks decently sharp based on the graphics and text that I've seen on it so far.

I settled in for the Pioneer mainly because of the Appradio capability which I intend to use once I lay my hands on that cable. That was the main differentiating feature between this one and the Kenwood. Besides, the Pio had everything I needed on the audio front, 3 pre-outs, 4V outputs, auto EQ etc. I didn't really try to audition the Kenwood once I was sure that I was going to buy the Pio.

Hope this helps.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 12:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't really try to audition the Kenwood once I was sure that I was going to buy the Pio.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Amol, this does help. Am quite convinced with the Pioneer Set and it is well within budget. The new one costs around 24.5K compared to the Alpine set which costs around 39K. Have not heard much of the Kenwood system. Will see if i can get a demo of both but yes am tilted more towards the Pioneer.

Do you have iPhone 4 or 5? believe there is a change in the cable used and you might have to flash the software to make them work in unison.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 19:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

• Wiring - Ground Zero
  • Camera Input adapter
  • Damping on all 4 doors
Did you mean you had to buy an additional component to get support for steering controls ?
joecherian is online now   Reply With Quote