Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th August 2014, 01:54   #706
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
More so, how does any of you even know what the sound engineer intended you to hear?
How many of us keep that car the same cheap way the engineer (and may be even the accountant) intended to? Don't we spruce it up with mats, seat covers and what not?

Not sure what's there to rant about people setting up their cars to sound the way they like it to! It's not about hearing music the way the engineer meant it to be heard, it's about hearing music the way, the place and the time they like to hear it.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2014 at 14:42. Reason: Quoted post edited
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 10:10   #707
BHPian

Default Re: BEST SONG for showing off/demoing Car Stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How many of us keep that car the same cheap way the engineer (and may be even the accountant) intended to? Don't we spruce it up with mats, seat covers and what not?

Not sure what's there to rant about people setting up their cars to sound the way they like it to! It's not about hearing music the way the engineer meant it to be heard, it's about hearing music the way, the place and the time they like to hear it.
Agreed. The point I was (probably unsuccessfully) trying to make was about the title of this thread (BEST song...) and about getting carried away with the notion that there should be only one way to set up an audio system.

General note to everyone here: I realise my post comes across as insulting some of the members here. That was not my intention. I suppose I too am guilty of getting carried away when I make an argument.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 23:48   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Now, if this thread were talking about evaluating a home audio system, I take back everything (well, almost everything) I said.
1. Some people here on this very forum, own cars which are probably better sound proofed than your house. People here try to get the best possible audio set-ups that can me done on a car, nobody is keen on how sound proofed a sound studio is! Mind you, most people here don't write BS, they pen down first hand experiences, so you shouldn't doubt credibility of people and their posts on this forum!

2. You buy a car for its drive-ability, let others buy a car for its audio quality. I know people who've bought European cars, just for the fact that Europeans make more ICE-friendly cars than anyone else. They've put in lots of money and effort towards their ICE equipment, they are not complaining, you shouldn't bother too!

3. You really haven't auditioned good ICE set ups, do that and you will want to take back a few more things you've written!

4. Reality is that you are still naive to the length and breadth that ICE has ventured into! You have not come across people who consider ICE a very important part of their lives, home audio might do it for you, car audio does it for some people like me, you really aren't entitled to raise questions on our choices!

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2014 at 14:43. Reason: Quoted post edited, hence....
599gto is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 02:04   #709
BHPian

Quote:
That being said, how many of you really own music that is actually clean - meaning studio masters? How many of you even own headphones or home audio equipment that's studio-monitor quality (meaning, you hear exactly what the sound engineer intended and nothing else)? So, why are you looking for a car that gives you a sound studio? More so, how does any of you even know what the sound engineer intended you to hear?
Because the point is to hear what you want to hear, not what the engineer wants you to. If music was made by engineers, all we would have heard was sound effects.

Quote:
Now, if this thread were talking about evaluating a home audio system, I take back everything (well, almost everything) I said. For me, listening to music (at home) is an exclusive activity when nothing else happens. I have my headphones on, I get lost in my music. That's when I use my studio monitors. And at those times, I have a drink in my hand, my eyes closed, doing nothing else. Listening to music is an active activity for me, meaning, it is a project. That's when I care about listening to as many sounds (as intended by the sound engineer) as possible. Incidental listening to music while other things are happening, is like White noise, just like a wedding-reception carnatic musician or a band - not really listening.
Studio Monitors even from good company's dont come close to what brands like Mercury Audio can achieve.

Quote:
All of the above being said, I do have a list of songs I use to test a car stereo (please note, just car stereo, not a home system - I am NOT an audiophile). Ask me if you're really interested, but remember, that's just my list.
If you are not an audiophile, you wouldn't even know what 'studio monitors' and 'white noise' mean. The fact is that you haven't auditioned good enough systems or for reference not even been close to the 'Good' ICE scene in the country. Soundfactor, Motor Concepts and Driven have put up some fantastic examples. Do look for them

Quote:
That's my dose of reality for today. Cheers.
All I know is one's reality is his own perception, hence do not stereotype them on baseless statistics.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2014 at 14:45. Reason: Fixing quotes. And removing bits of quoted post which have been deleted
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 02:23   #710
BHPian

@ Tilt, So, are you underestimating the common people or over estimating yourself ??

I dont know where you are from. But in Mumbai, people spend a lot on ICE, and i think they have pretty good knowledge about music/sound quality, etc.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2014 at 14:45. Reason: Quoted post edited, hence...
Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 08:33   #711
BHPian

Here's my current list:

Betoko - With or without you
Breach - Let's Get Hot
Stan Kolev - Sebai Kekade
Kaleida - Think
Deadmau5 - Terrors in my head
Milky Chance - Down by the river
Omarion - The only one
Rick Ross - Aston Martin Music
Eric Pyrdz - Glow
Imran Khan - Satisfya
Indian Ocean - Kandisa

That's all for now. I'll add more soon. Enjoy and blast those speakers!
Aston Singh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 09:28   #712
BHPian

These two quotes above are the most demeaning and derogatory quotes that I have come across on the forum and are dangerously on the verge of being personal in nature.

We the t-bhpians come here to share whatever little knowledge we have and to gain from the vast knowledge base of our contemporaries, not to be treated as second grade citizens or to be disgraced and dishonored.

We are not even aware about the social/financial status of most of our confederates and the position they command in the real life.

Therefore I would sincerely request one and all to stick to the topic of discussion and not use language which could hurt someone's sentiments.

Thanks and regards,

Luv

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2014 at 14:46. Reason: Quoted post edited, hence....removed offensive bits
luvtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 22:50   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
These two quotes above are the most demeaning and derogatory quotes that I have come across on the forum and are dangerously on the verge of being personal in nature.

We the t-bhpians come here to share whatever little knowledge we have and to gain from the vast knowledge base of our contemporaries, not to be treated as second grade citizens or to be disgraced and dishonored.

We are not even aware about the social/financial status of most of our confederates and the position they command in the real life.

Therefore I would sincerely request one and all to stick to the topic of discussion and not use language which could hurt someone's sentiments.

Thanks and regards,

Luv
Severely
Hi Luv, I agree to you 100%, and I am not at all keen on defending myself, I wrote what I wrote because the other person doubted the social/financial status of a large group of people here, he doubted the credibility of their knowledge and posts on the forum, and as a whole his/her tone sounded very offensive to me!

And this is just my way of replying to whoever doubts the credibility of posts put up by members here, including mine, and starts derogatory and demeaning talk on the forum! I believe in giving people a taste of their own poison!

And as you suggested, I think we should stick to the topic and discuss ICE all the way!

Last edited by 599gto : 20th December 2014 at 22:52.
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 14:22   #714
Team-BHP Support

Tilt, while I agree a car is not an ideal environment for serious listening the tone of your entire post is very condescending.

For the record somewhere in the late 80s Honda and Toyota (via their premium ranges aka Accura and Lexus) developed test cars that had all but eliminated road noise and traffic noise. They found that such a car is disconcerting to drivers if not outright dangerous. That being said a regular street car as sound proofed in a studio is not practical. Possible yes, but not practical.

I don't know why you assume that "a significant portion of you cannot even identify good clean hi-fidelity clean sound". Anyone on the ICE forums is here because either they can or they want to. There is no need to de-ride your fellow members.

That being said and since you asked (and I know I am not alone in this):

1. I own multiple pairs of some rather expensive headphones from Beyer 880s to Senheissers 600 to a pair of (now vintage) Stax Lambdas and a few others a step or two down be it AKG, Grado etc.

2. I have heard, owned, and even made studio masters. Personally I have 100s of hours behind a console in studios such as Record Plant and Sterling Sound (both in NYC, and I believe both are defunct today). I know others on this forum who have similar background and/or experience. So assuming that most have NOT heard a studio master is wholly incorrect.

3. I am not going to get into a name calling battle but I reckon I can throw a few names of tweeters and woofers that you may not be able to place. I built my first pair of speakers (yes I built them) in mid 70s. That was 40 years ago. Again I know others on this forum who have a similar background.

You are indeed fortunate none of these members (Gunbir, Bass and Trouble, Bhagwan, Autophile, Tool, etc..) saw your post. They may have taken offence.

Last edited by navin : 22nd December 2014 at 15:03. Reason: Quoted post edited, hence.....
navin is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 02:17   #715
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks and regards,

Luv
Not at all, neither did we personally attack him nor did we demean him.
We just defended the ICE scene here which the member with all due respect had underestimated.
I would seriously love you to quote what kind or part of the post felt derogatory to you? Because being a student of English, in every literal sense this is not even close to being derogatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
You are indeed fortunate none of these members (Gunbir, Bass and Trouble, Bhagwan, Autophile, Tool, etc..) saw your post. They may have taken offence.
Navin sir, even though I dont feel like going OT here, but the whole way with which that post was put up was in all order without any knowledge or research about either the ICE scene or the co members and their work in their departments. Hence lets leave tilt to his opinion and continue the discussion. Another sound I found worth testing for the low's was Get Low by Dillion!. The drop is worth excruciating your subwoofer

Last edited by devilwearsprada : 23rd December 2014 at 02:22. Reason: A mistake.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 09:43   #716
BHPian

I use Hotel California by Eagles (CD) to test stereo systems and would start off with the same song to show off a setup. As long as the setup is fine, any person will enjoy his favorite songs/genre. It is not just the bass which matters to me, the sound should be natural and the sound stage well defined.
nshankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 09:52   #717
BHPian

Seriously , but still I would have to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Not at all, neither did we personally attack him nor did we demean him.
I would seriously love you to quote what kind or part of the post felt derogatory to you?
Look mods this is what exactly happens when some relevant portion from the post is deleted. Now I'll have to clarify for that.

Now being a student of English @devilwearsprada you should have looked at the language being used. I did not mention "The above two quotes" but what I said was "These two quotes above". That means I was clearly pointing out to some specific matter not to the general 2 posts which were above my post (none of which was yours of-course), i.e. what I had quoted in my post (in this case posts of @tilt and @ 599gto given at post no. 703 and 708 respectively of this thread to which @599gto has already replied at post no. 713.

The quotes given in my post were diligently deleted by @gto along with the relevant matter to which it pointed out in tilt's post.

I think now this clears the air to "what kind or part of the post felt derogatory to ME".
luvtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:53   #718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Seriously , but still I would have to respond.

Look mods this is what exactly happens when some relevant portion from the post is deleted. Now I'll have to clarify for that.

The quotes given in my post were diligently deleted by @gto along with the relevant matter to which it pointed out in tilt's post
Luvtandon, many of us know what you mean. Let's close this topic and move on. We had to remove any offending parts to retain the sanctity of this thread. I suspect Tilt, did NOT mean to offend.

For my part, I listen to the music I know best. As usual there are any number of "test" songs we can use. The best "test" songs are those that you are intimately familiar with - songs which you have heard performed live and across many systems. Where the timbre and placement of each instrument is etched in your aural memory. These will be different for each of us.

Last edited by navin : 23rd December 2014 at 11:55.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 17:23   #719
BHPian

Its good to see Darude Snadstorm is still such a popular number among people. This tune has seen a resurgence and recently I heard this song while it was playing in the stadium during SA vs NZ semi final.

My favorite song would be Eric Prydz - Europa as the bass is just about perfect and after a peak goes really low, that truly brings out the neatness of the audio setup.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 15:03   #720
BHPian

Hello Everyone!

I have recently installed a new SQ orientated Audio system in my vehicle. It consists of the DEH-80PRS for my HU, Morel Elate 602 as Front Stage and the Morel Ultimo SC as my Subwoofer. Actively run. Since then I have been listening to old Hindi music and some old rock music & It sounds Divine!. The clarity and separation offered by the Elates is incredible and the Subwoofer also does not intrude but blends well with the FS.

Recently, I was told by a person who considers himself an Audiophile that me listening to music that is compressed, I've 128-320Kbps quality & some VBR, is not doing justice to my speakers and that I should buy some Audio CDs. He advised me The Very Best Of to start off with.
I like Old(classic?) rock, RnB & Hip Hop music. I would like to request the audio community over here to give me some recommendations of some albums I can enjoy with the Audio system I have please : )
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote