Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 31st July 2006, 19:08   #196
Senior - BHPian

good to hear zak that ur ICE is back to normal so u agree what i said to u earlier in my post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/255490-post157.html

So u r back to square one anyways congrats on ur dvd setup. It is a good idea to connect them but the dvd 5.1 sound will be downmix to just 2 channels only.

the 7800 is avalable in delhi it is for around 70-75k in delhi
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 07:14   #197
BANNED

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
good to hear zak that ur ICE is back to normal so u agree what i said to u earlier in my post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/255490-post157.html

So u r back to square one anyways congrats on ur dvd setup. It is a good idea to connect them but the dvd 5.1 sound will be downmix to just 2 channels only.

the 7800 is avalable in delhi it is for around 70-75k in delhi
Twice sir!
Yes, the pioneer suits me more.

Ok, the 5.1 is not really practical in car. Boz, the screens are placed in the headrests. Hence to watch movies, 1 has to be in the backseat. And the rear is not the area where sound is focused to. So, I think it's better to stick with 2.1 rather than go for the expensive 5.1 setup.

7800 sure is the 7850. And this is the model I wanna go for but maybe after 2 months.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 07:20   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Thanks NavinJi for those kind words.

I've made some changes this week! AGAIN!!!!
Pioneer DVH-5850 DVD HU was added to the current Pioneer 7750. I know this HU is not such a great thingy. Offers only 1 pre-out :-(~
We utilized the AUX output of this HU and connected to the AUX in of 7750. This was the Only PIO single din DVD unit available this side. I am opting for a better DVD unit soon and I think it'll be the PIO AVH-7850 in-dash DVD player with a 7" touchscreen. The thingy is still not available here so will have to wait.
(More upgrade plans coming soon, So watch this space!!)
wow, congrats. HOw abt a 3 way compo?

OT! ANd you are into construction business? Gwaadd!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 18:02   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

zak, hows the sound? Effectively its 4.1 right?
Old 3rd August 2006, 18:25   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
zak, hows the sound? Effectively its 4.1 right?
Nope, it's still 2.1 with two speakers for each of the '2' channels out of 2.1

If we calculated like you then guys like LBM will someday be accounted for as 6.861

Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 18:48   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
If we calculated like you then guys like LBM will someday be accounted for as 6.861
veer what will this .861 account for.......

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 3rd August 2006 at 18:58.
Old 3rd August 2006, 19:13   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
veer what will this .861 account for.......
If 4.1 = 4 speakers + 1 subwoofer,

What is .861 equal to?
Old 3rd August 2006, 21:10   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
If 4.1 = 4 speakers + 1 subwoofer,

What is .861 equal to?
yah re 4 + 1

and teh DVD HU has DTS/Dolby out right? So it retains this 5.1 channel even when given to teh 7750?

lbm's gonna be 8.2

Last edited by jkdas : 3rd August 2006 at 21:16.
Old 4th August 2006, 01:12   #204
Senior - BHPian

right now it is 10.2

this is how
4 tweeters
4 midbass
2 midrange
2 subs
Old 4th August 2006, 08:49   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, we are going OT!

CAn someone answer my query?
Old 4th August 2006, 09:35   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
and teh DVD HU has DTS/Dolby out right? So it retains this 5.1 channel even when given to teh 7750?
JK. For Dolby Digital/DTS decoding you need to get the digital out from the HU and then decode it with a surround processor, which will then give out Front, Rear, Center and Sub preouts.

Since in this case a decoder has not been used, the HU by itself only has one preout as Zak mentioned. That preout is only putting out PCM stereo from the DVD. There is no surround processing involved. Hence there is only stereo output which is then going to the 7750 HU's aux in and that is being used as the main controller/preamp.

IMHO, I think stereo is sufficient in a car. 5.1 Surround sound works well only for the front, which includes the driver, who shouldnt be watching video on the move anyways... The people in the rear hardly get to hear any dialouges (center based) or primary effects (front L/R based).
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 10:42   #207
Senior - BHPian

the 5.1 in car is a joke man there is no distance between the user and the speakers. and the placement of the listener is pathatic. If one has to install a 5.1 in a vehicle it must a big suv and that also one the back seat where the left and right channel in the head rest the centre in the tv screen and the rear channel behind the rear seat in the boot as far as possible , the sub can be placed any where in the boot to get the best result. with this appox setup the listener has to sit in the middle of the seat to get the good result...

So according to me in car 5.1 is a joke and the big company are just selling there product..... here no real use of 5.1 in car........just show off only.....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 4th August 2006 at 10:44.
Old 4th August 2006, 11:55   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the 5.1 in car is a joke man there is no distance between the user and the speakers. and the placement of the listener is pathatic. If one has to install a 5.1 in a vehicle it must a big suv and that also one the back seat where the left and right channel in the head rest the centre in the tv screen and the rear channel behind the rear seat in the boot as far as possible , the sub can be placed any where in the boot to get the best result. with this appox setup the listener has to sit in the middle of the seat to get the good result...

So according to me in car 5.1 is a joke and the big company are just selling there product..... here no real use of 5.1 in car........just show off only.....
It makes sense in big cars.

I have installed a Skoda Superb with component speakers in the rear doors, coaxials on the rear parcel shelf, center alongside the roof mount monitor and a sub in the boot, and it does a damn good job with multichannel formats.
Old 4th August 2006, 13:23   #209
Team-BHP Support

ok guys regarding 5.1...

in a car it might be best not to install a center speaker unless your center is very good. there is little room in most cars for a good center.

reason: todays DVD mixes have a lot of information in the center. If you have a center speaker it must be able to re-produce all that accurately. the front left and right speakers on the contrary have to reproduce less! yes less! than the center.

another option is to use phantom center (which limits the sweet spot for good dialogue) considerably. With phantom center your left and right speakers will be reproducing the center information (dual mono) and you can install good left and right speakers in car a lot easier than a good center.

A 3rd option is to take was Ariston has done and do it in a car. Your right and left speakers should incorporate the center. So have 2 6" woofers and 2 tweeters in the left and right and use on for the left / right channel information and the other for the center. this will also give the feeling the dialogue is not coming from the screen but atleast all passengers will hear the dialogue clearly.

FYI, if you have a HT system at home do this test...

a) disconnect the center speaker
b) dont change the settings on the HT/AV reciever so the HT/AVR thinks a center speaker is connected
c) play a DVD and see how much information you are getting in the left and right speakers.
d) now switch the HT/AV reciver so that center is off (phantom center mode) and see the difference!
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 13:54   #210
Senior - BHPian

this is a good test in movies there is hardly any dialouge coming out of the front channel just only the ambince only. the centre channel is the link which makes the dialouge or the active thing going on the screen like moving of objects gun shop all comes out of the centre channel.

now in a car the centre channel has to a good one so that all the information comes out and this is only possible if a good driver is used.