Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th June 2006, 23:29   #91
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
sure is.... HOnda City is a good car... but them panels are light... will need damping for sure.... lots of it!
You mean..... More than my ALTO??

But I like sound damping stuff! So I'm gonna do it. But will it be worth it? That's the question boss!!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 00:03   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
You mean..... More than my ALTO??

But I like sound damping stuff! So I'm gonna do it. But will it be worth it? That's the question boss!!

Buddy... best sound = Hatch...
But a Honda City can do everything weell...
BUT DAMP the daylights outta it!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 00:13   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

kb1$$$$$ and sz$$$$$$ discussing how to spend $$$$$$$$$.

hatchback rulez for ice
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 00:51   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
kb1$$$$$ and sz$$$$$$ discussing how to spend $$$$$$$$$.

hatchback rulez for ice
Yeah... more like KB cccccc (cents)
Old 29th June 2006, 08:20   #95
BHPian

Kb,what about the Baleno, does it require heavy damping?
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 10:45   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard
Kb,what about the Baleno, does it require heavy damping?
DAmping is generally done to achive two things...

One - To accoustically seal the front and the rear fo the speakers - they door panels if you notice has gaps (basically to reduce wt)- this need to be sealed completely for the speakers to sound good. (Sir Navin or the others will fill in the tech-geek details)

Two - The panels themselves - are given to FLEX depending on the SPL and the guage of metal and the kind of panels used . One also tends to hear a lot of road/traffic noise inside the cabin arising due to a combination of these reasons.. If you can cut out he external noise - either that created by the road, or the ones induced by panels rattling/flexing - then you'd be able to hear the music more clearly and the SQ goes up dramatically. This will require you to dampen the insides of the external panels as well!

Basically - Hear anything you are not supposed to hear - DAMP IT!!! - it'll may not solve the problem - but it'll make noise go away!

Hope this is correct... GURUSsssss...

Last edited by kb100 : 29th June 2006 at 10:53.
Old 29th June 2006, 16:30   #97
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
DAmping is generally done to achive two things...

One - To accoustically seal the front and the rear fo the speakers - they door panels if you notice has gaps (basically to reduce wt)- this need to be sealed completely for the speakers to sound good. (Sir Navin or the others will fill in the tech-geek details)

Two - The panels themselves - are given to FLEX depending on the SPL and the guage of metal and the kind of panels used . One also tends to hear a lot of road/traffic noise inside the cabin arising due to a combination of these reasons.. If you can cut out he external noise - either that created by the road, or the ones induced by panels rattling/flexing - then you'd be able to hear the music more clearly and the SQ goes up dramatically. This will require you to dampen the insides of the external panels as well!

Basically - Hear anything you are not supposed to hear - DAMP IT!!! - it'll may not solve the problem - but it'll make noise go away!

Hope this is correct... GURUSsssss...
Not bad KB1,00,0000!
You're more or less sounding like a GURU after spending all those precious green stuff!

BTW, The Emperor guys have a Honda city as their show car. But I did'nt like the sound of it. And that made me think twice from buying that OHC Vtec I was speaking of. The Sound is not much pleasureable but maybe it can produce all the instruments from the recordings, but not correctly. The bass is more like BOOM BOOM and the overall sound is not much musical.

Again this question comes to mind: ALPINES are just a HYPE after all?? boosted by MERCEDES etc..
Old 29th June 2006, 16:47   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Sound is not much pleasureable but maybe it can produce all the instruments from the recordings, but not correctly. The bass is more like BOOM BOOM and the overall sound is not much musical.
Zak... I have heard this about their demo car... let me give you a hint... Its the speakers and subs And I'm impressed by your opinion... its tells me you have good taste...
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 16:52   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Zak... I have heard this about their demo car... let me give you a hint... Its the speakers and subs And I'm impressed by your opinion... its tells me you have good taste...
So can I...... ehmmm Please join your GURU club???

Last edited by speedzak : 29th June 2006 at 16:54.
Old 29th June 2006, 17:22   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Again this question comes to mind: ALPINES are just a HYPE after all?? boosted by MERCEDES etc..
I dont think the Alpines are only hype. They do produce good sound in many setups. No one can get away with the premium they charge without providing a decent product. it is just that they seem to have lost the plot recently.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 02:42   #101
BANNED

OHC Vtec is a Helluva car when it comes to driving. And the ICE part is not much upto a high standard. The body panels are not much strong and the metal on the door etc.. is not very thick. (I found this after some inspections. Am I right here guys?)

The question is hereby repeated again : Is it worth spending some serious amount of money on a OHC for good ICE?
Or is it better to save now and get a bigger car like Accord, Camry, CRV or something similar later for this purpose? (I'm not a Skoda, Hyundai, Ford fan).

I like my cars to be just adequately powerful, enjoyable to drive and a little modifiable.

I'm not much of a 'Shake thy neighbourhood' type but loves meaty bass inside the car. I love music with clear mids and bass. Highs should be just supportive and not dominant. So my next car should be able to stand heavy bass without creaking, leaking etc.. (My windows will be rolled up always and I dont like to make outside people shake with my music). Sound proofing is welcome and I love doing it in my cars.

Guyz! keeping all these in mind, what would you all suggest as my next car?
(Please it should be something available in this part of the universe!)

Last edited by speedzak : 30th June 2006 at 02:46.
Old 30th June 2006, 10:02   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Doing a SUV is $$$ job and hence a sedan is what you should get. Hei, Civic's on its way and SRV is just out. Hatchback is what a serious sound guy would buy to mode.

And, their City is a white one right? I saw it on tv( some channel) and it has 5(?) Alpine screens, 2 subs inverted way on the tray at back.

I have a question here. How would a sub sound in taht way when you compare to the IB install with subs base inside the boot ( under the tray). And their install is a show thingy which is what they want and what most people want and hence, dont blame the Alpines pls. :P. Donno why I still love Alpines.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 11:07   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The question is hereby repeated again : Is it worth spending some serious amount of money on a OHC for good ICE?
Or is it better to save now and get a bigger car like Accord, Camry, CRV or something similar later for this purpose? (I'm not a Skoda, Hyundai, Ford fan).
ZAh,... for the price OHC is brilliant!1.. just get eh damping done and you should rock! ... An roll too!

Will be much cheaper than all the other options too...
Old 30th June 2006, 11:08   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guyz! keeping all these in mind, what would you all suggest as my next car?
(Please it should be something available in this part of the universe!)
If you want a car that is fun to drive and has good body panels I would recommend the Octy vRS or Rider 1.8Tpi. A few performance mods like Petes, tyres, brakes, (Mad Monkey is the vRS expert) should put a grin on your face.

That said even the Octy-Superb-Merc-BMW Body panels can do with some damping it is jsut that with these cars atleast you have a decent platform to work with.

if Performance is not a criteria i find the Opel Sail to be pretty sturdy too. Sturdier than the Corolla, NHC, and Hyundais. Even the Maruti Swift with a simple HU+4 speaker system benefitted for a 4 pack of Dynamat.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 14:03   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
If you want a car that is fun to drive and has good body panels I would recommend the Octy vRS or Rider 1.8Tpi. A few performance mods like Petes, tyres, brakes, (Mad Monkey is the vRS expert) should put a grin on your face.
I am not really a Skoda fan. I've seen many a problems with their cars abroad and here too. My experience twice with Skoda was sour. And my wife is one of those who hate Octys more than her kitchen sink! So no Skodas for the time being. So, it's only Honda, Toyota and Mitsubishi on picture now. (I'm a pure Jap Fan).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkDas
dont blame the Alpines pls. :P. Donno why I still love Alpines.
Same problem here too. I just can't get those out of my mind. (They're from Japan too Is'nt it?)