Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th October 2013, 19:45   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Aria ICE Redefined

while searching on google. found an interesting product I think it may help me in my project.
http://international.ibik-soft.com/content/view/86
I may also consider VMware free version. Which will also solve my purpose.
Any comments?
sumanbhokray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 15:25   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanbhokray View Post
While mom and dad are watching the movie on screen 1. My wife should be able to use internet on the screen 2 simultaneously.
I think multiple user account login is the only option. To achieve this.
I'd suggest keeping things simple. A lot of times we design things to work in all possible situations, and as a result they become very complex and then either don't get used, or are too complicated for the average user to operate!

The simplest option here would be to have your wife start the movie for your parents (on screen 2) and then go about her browsing (on screen 1) while the movie continues to play.

Quote:
found an interesting product I think it may help me in my project.
What you're looking for is called "multiseat". I don't have any experience with these softwares.

Here are some links that might help. One mentions that: "There are software solutions available that enable you moving two independent mouse pointer at the same time. But only one mouse pointer can drag & drop at a time". I wonder if that is still the case with the newer softwares too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ns-2-mice.html

Here's another software like ASTER, called Teamplayer:
http://dicolab.com/products/teamplayer/

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th October 2013 at 15:47.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 15:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
... You're running coaxials with a rated power of 125w RMS per channel, powered through an amp which produces just 50w RMs per channel. They are running at less than half their sonic capacity. ...
That shouldn't matter at all. There is nothing called "sonic capacity" - the speakers will faithfully reproduce what the amp pushes through them. Don't go by absolute ratings - most of the time the power fed to the speakers is 1-18W rms. 30W rms is actually very loud in the cabin. Different frequency bands and different music passages have different power content, all well below the amp capacity. Only a sub takes 50-60W in normal circumstances, rising to 100W on loud passages.

Of course SQL and SPL systems are designed differently - the objective is to try and make the listener hearing-challenged.

Quote:
... 2. You've mounted them low, facing upwards in the rearmost position of a 4.78mtr long vehicle, neighbored by the sub. ...
Again, really doesn't matter!

Quote:
... Even if your Polks were originally capable of producing clear sound, they're currently muddied by thump from the sub, low-powered and placed too far to make any difference to your ears. This isn't really sound staging.
Noooo. Sub is playing a different frequency band altogether. In air, low frequencies don't mix with higher frequencies muddling each other up. That happens only with paints and colors.

Not much of sound staging is to be expected from rear speakers - they are meant only as fill even for rear seat passengers.

Quote:
... The setup should be like this:
While mom and dad are watching the movie on screen 1. My wife should be able to use internet on the screen 2 simultaneously.
I think multiple user account login is the only option. To achieve this. ...
1. Movies can be made to play through a different port of a video card, viz. HDMI or Composite. You will need to use a different Video card instead of on-board video. This doesn't need a separate login

2. One can work and surf with the same login, provided the OS installation (Windows, I presume) is configured for multiple screens. The limitation is PCI slots on the board

Quote:
... Regarding multiple user account login, the only method I know is RDP. ...
RDP is *always* done from *another* workstation (separate CPU+OS installation), *never* from the same workstation. Why will it use the word "Remote" otherwise?

You anyhow don't need separate logon sessions - you need multiple screens. Any decent CPU can handle the three applications: Car PC, Video Player and general purpose browsing. In fact, Car PC (like Centrafuse) can control the Video playback.

Mind you, the more functions you load on to the Car PC, the more it will cost you and more complex the installation will be. For use in the car, it is better to follow the principle of K.I.S.S.!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 20:24   #19
BHPian

Moderator note: Post edited to fix Quotes. Please preview post before posting. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That shouldn't matter at all. There is nothing called "sonic capacity" - the speakers will faithfully reproduce what the amp pushes through them. Don't go by absolute ratings - most of the time the power fed to the speakers is 1-18W rms. 30W rms is actually very loud in the cabin. Different frequency bands and different music passages have different power content, all well below the amp capacity. Only a sub takes 50-60W in normal circumstances, rising to 100W on loud passages.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Actually I am not happy with the small enclosures used for the polks. Am fabricating one with the help of my carpenter. It should rise up to the level of the headrest.
About the underpowered amp. I had 2options.
1 GT-X646 rated 800W cost 5500INR.
2 GTO 504EX rated 640w costed 10500INR.
The shop guy told me that GTO 504 is much powerful than the 646.
Is it really powerful?
I know this 504 amp has more functions like high level inputs. Is it costly because of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I'd suggest keeping things simple. A lot of times we design things to work in all possible situations, and as a result they become very complex and then either don't get used, or are too complicated for the average user to operate!
========
Here's another software like ASTER, called Teamplayer:
http://dicolab.com/products/teamplayer/

cya
R
can I connect 1 screen to the HDMI port and other to the VGA of the computer in order to get multiple display? Or do I need to install extra graphics card.
Your comments and advices are really helping me in my project.
Thanks! a lot

Quote:
A little more -ive feedback from my side. Apologies in advance.

1. You're running coaxials with a rated power of 125w RMS per channel, powered through an amp which produces just 50w RMs per channel. They are running at less than half their sonic capacity.
2. You've mounted them low, facing upwards in the rearmost position of a 4.78mtr long vehicle, neighbored by the sub.

Even if your Polks were originally capable of producing clear sound, they're currently muddied by thump from the sub, low-powered and placed too far to make any difference to your ears. This isn't really sound staging.
Thanks for the feedback.
Yes the amp is underrated for the speakers I have. But 50W x 2 is fine to just fill the back seat area.
I bought this polks for the sound quality not for the power.
And one more thing. my HU is already pumping 45W x4 power to the door speakers. So 45W X4 =180W.
AD THE AMP IS DRIVING 50W X2 power to the polks that is 100W.
Sub 100W. all put together 380W.
I think that is fare enough for this kind of setup.
Am more into SQ than the power!
About the small low level enclosures; am soon changing them. Am fabricating tall enclosures with the help of my carpenter. Photos will be uploaded shortly.

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st October 2013 at 17:33. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old 29th October 2013, 21:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Am in search for a device to convert SPDIF or HDMI to RCA. For uncompressed audio from the computer. I need your strong support to make this possible. Anticipating quick replys.
Practically this is not possible .
You cant send a digital signal to the amplifier.
You need to convert it into analog signals for which you need a DAC.
You wont need the hdmi port.
Go for usb dacs like hrt steamer 2 or behringer uca202 or even audioquest dragonfly. These will bypass your laptop's dac and will take care of the uncompressed audio formats.
SolidSnake is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 10:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
Go for usb dacs like hrt steamer 2 or behringer uca202 or even audioquest dragonfly. These will bypass your laptop's dac and will take care of the uncompressed audio formats.
Thank you so much. I will be looking into them today.
Am experiencing low bass when I close the doors. May be sign wav problem. Tried changing direction of the sub but no luck.
Any other option? I can not go with 2 subs. space problem.
Old 30th October 2013, 11:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1 GT-X646 rated 800W cost 5500INR.
2 GTO 504EX rated 640w costed 10500INR.
The shop guy told me that GTO 504 is much powerful than the 646.
Is it really powerful? ...
Powerful it is not. The 646 puts out 70W rms per channel into 4ohms, whereas the 504 puts out 55W rms. The price difference is most likely because the GT-X is a lower series than GTO.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 01:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Powerful it is not. The 646 puts out 70W rms per channel into 4ohms, whereas the 504 puts out 55W rms. The price difference is most likely because the GT-X is a lower series than GTO.
So 646 is more powerful then the 504 rite? That is what I understood.
I got 646 installed in my ford ikon. And 504 installed in my aria. If it makes any better difference then I would like to interchange the amps between this cars.
Old 31st October 2013, 13:58   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... If it makes any better difference then I would like to interchange the amps between this cars.
Don't - let it be. Even the 55W / channel of the 504 will be loud enough. Just don't try to use it as a disco-in-the-field - the fuse will blow.
Old 31st October 2013, 17:41   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That shouldn't matter at all.
I remember reading years back on the Blaupunkt website that under-powering speakers is worse than over-powering them. Couldn't never find the same thing mentioned anywhere else. Is there any truth to this?

Quote:
Am experiencing low bass when I close the doors. May be sign wav problem. Tried changing direction of the sub but no luck.
Have you checked that the polarity of the wiring is correct for all the speakers and sub? A lot of installers think that it doesn't matter, but it makes a very noticeable difference. From what i've seen, the bass tends to die if you have one set of speakers wired correctly, and the other wired with the opposite/wrong polarity.

Quote:
can I connect 1 screen to the HDMI port and other to the VGA of the computer in order to get multiple display? Or do I need to install extra graphics card.
If this was a half-decent desktop motherboard, I'd say yes - this would definitely be possible. However, since this is a laptop (which already has a LCD display), it is less likely, and I'm not sure of the answer. What make/model is the laptop?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 18:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Am experiencing low bass when I close the doors. ...
Why would that be a problem? Most people want to experience low bass, don't they?

Quote:
I remember reading years back on the Blaupunkt website that under-powering speakers is worse than over-powering them. Couldn't never find the same thing mentioned anywhere else. Is there any truth to this? ...
1. You get to hear the amp distortion faithfully
2. It would be like plonking an M800 engine (amp) in a Baleno (speakers):
- power band is in the wrong place (a lot of detail is never loud enough in the music as excursion is limited; usually midrange, as tweeter takes very little power anyhow)
- not enough torque if the mismatch is very large (like M800 engine in Safari)

Can't be Blaupunkt website - not German style to express opinion without technical explanation. Blau website was always an epitome of brevity, to the point of being quite unsocial. Must be Crutchfield or some such website.
Old 31st October 2013, 20:23   #27
BHPian

Hi Suman

There are products which convert SPDIF to RCA .. Here is the link and another cheaper chinese alternative here, but be aware that you need to have power sources for these devices.

But as other FM's have recommended, using a DAC will only enhance your audio output any day and depends on your implementation of the same.

my apologies if, by any chance, i have given you wrong information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
prashant_dv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 20:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I remember reading years back on the Blaupunkt website that under-powering speakers is worse than over-powering them. Couldn't never find the same thing mentioned anywhere else. Is there any truth to this?

Have you checked that the polarity of the wiring is correct for all the speakers and sub? A lot of installers think that it doesn't matter, but it makes a very noticeable difference. From what i've seen, the bass tends to die if you have one set of speakers wired correctly, and the other wired with the opposite/wrong polarity.

If this was a half-decent desktop motherboard, I'd say yes - this would definitely be possible. However, since this is a laptop (which already has a LCD display), it is less likely, and I'm not sure of the answer. What make/model is the laptop?

cya
R
The polarity is perfect.
But still cannot figure out the problem. Tomorrow I have to check the RCA cables I doubt them!
I noticed the sub is not sounding when I turn the balance to the right.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd December 2013 at 17:19. Reason: Formatting
Old 26th November 2013, 14:48   #29
BHPian

Dear friends,

Today I would like to share something about me.

Watch this show on youtube. It's a show by a telugu film music director:

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd December 2013 at 17:28. Reason: Formatting
sumanbhokray is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 21:27   #30
BHPian

Thumbs up car pc? no! aria pc.

Hi!

As I was discussing on this thread since a while, now the project has come into action.

You know, it's my pride, that my Aria 'Simba' is going to be first Aria in the country to have a carputer.

Let us have a quick overview of my setup:
1. High definition entertainment source.
2. Multitasking with multiple monitors.
3. Eyes-free access. Using steering wheel controls and remote controls.
4. Broadband internet and intranet connectivity.
5. DLNA for media streaming from mobile devices.
6. OBD in future.
7. Potable plug and play pc case - for moving easily to my home theater.
Friends I need your advice in all the stages to make things easy.

MOBO
To start with I bought a digilite model dl-AHD1S-K mainboard (Cost 4100 INR).
With 2GB DDR3 ram (Cost 1200 INR).

PSU
Am considering M2 ITX DC DC 160w PSU. Could you please put me to some source in india for faster shipping?
I've heard about iride - but no luck as their website is down and all their contact numbers are not responding.

CABINET
Coming to the cabinet. What material should I use? Acrylic, plywood, or steel?
I don’t mind going with a ready built cabinet from the market as long as it is very small in size.
To keep the cabinet smaller, I will not be adding any hard drives in this setup.

I will be using linux or windows on the USB. Am not sure which one at this time.

SCREENS
In total I will be having 3 screens:
1. Using HU screen for the driver and the front passenger.
2. Headrest display for the middle bench.
3. One more headrest display for the last row.
None of them are touch capable. As I mentioned before, I want to have eyes-free access to some of the features used regularly.
For the extensive usage, a potable wireless keyboard and mouse will be kept inside the car.

Friends now its your turn! Start talking please.
Waiting for your inputs.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria ICE Redefined-wp_20131127_001.jpg  

Tata Aria ICE Redefined-wp_20131127_005.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2013 at 14:32. Reason: Formatting changes
sumanbhokray is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote