Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 2nd August 2015, 20:55   #91
BHPian

Default Re: DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
carizma, sorry to hear that. Looks like we've hit a dead end or are about to! As a last resort, were you doubly sure that the connections to CAN + and CAN - were done as per the drive2 link and not interchanged (i.e. CAN + to pin no. 20 and CAN - to pin no. 10)?

From where did you tap the CAN connections from?

What BT system are you pairing with this system?
Finally!! Got everything in working order. HU, OPS display and MFSW controls working perfectly.

Special word of thanks to @Gannu_1 .
carizma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 08:46   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carizma View Post
Finally!! Got everything in working order. HU, OPS display and MFSW controls working perfectly.
Good to hear that!

What went wrong the first time? Terminals were interchanged?
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:43   #93
BHPian

No. The terminals were rightly connected. As I had said in my older post, the PIN 9&10 of the Quadlock were already interfaced and I connected the pin 20&10 of the CAN to these PINs. As soon as I connected the battery terminal, the VCDS started showing errors. So I removed the connection from the CAN and packed up everything including the CAN, AC duct and the panel above the pedals. After a while it struck to me to try removing the original connections of the Quadlock and interfacing the CANBUS instead.

So I opened up everything again and as luck would have it everything got in working order.

The VCDS is now reading the Radio and telephone and all the instruments are working. The only thing remaining is the fault in [77] telephone.

I will try to locate the fault as soon as I get the time.
carizma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 15:24   #94
BHPian

Hey,

Good Information in this thread. How much I would like to do a DIY, I fail to find time for upgrading the headunit to RCD 510 unit in my Oct 2012 polo.

Can any one here help me find the right person who would do the much needed upgrade in Mumbai / Thane / Navi Mumbai? I am open to source the parts myself in case they aren't able to source from Aliexpress.

Thanks a lot!
rahulk2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 17:09   #95
BHPian

Interesting thread. Have been following Gannu_1 thread for quite a while now and I noticed that most of his purchases are from AliExpress.

Went ahead and checked for RCD510 there and damn, it costs close to 9k including shipping which is awesome. I will be taking delivery of my Polo TDI HL in January and I was planning to swap the unit to RCD510 (wish it had navigation as well).

Here is the link of the HU : AliExpress

Since it would take a while to reach here (close to 40 days as mentioned in the site), I'm planning to place the order now.

Just one thing though : I wish this had navigation included with this.

Edit : Had requested for parts list earlier, which I got it now.

Last edited by Astonite : 16th November 2015 at 17:13.
Astonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 08:45   #96
BHPian

hi guys

the phone audio function in my RCD 510 is not working - bluetooth is pairing and calls can be made - but no sound is there. absolute dead silence from the speakers as if it is muted. I tried everything within my limited capacity and even reset it back to factory settings. still speakers are dead. music is playing, ops is working, i can dial the number and make the call. but no sound when calling.

any ideas?
nevinfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 11:36   #97

Hi thanks for the lovely DIY, that's some lot of research and effort there.

I'm also planning to upgrade my RCD300 unit in my vento. Can you pls suggest if this quadlock converter enough for the new 8 pin setup in new units. Thanks a bunch.

Upgrade Canbus Adapter Quadlock Conversion
http://s.aliexpress.com/MNVbMFbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Prelude:

Volkswagen Vento was launched in 2010 as a Polo with a boot. The car is based on the Polo 6R. The launch editions of the Vento in 2010 and the first half of 2011 had a very mediocre music system. The headunit could only play a single MP3 CD or the FM/AM radio. For a 10 lakh rupee car, the stereo was below average.

My elder brother was one of the first buyers of a Vento (Dec - 2010). Increasingly, it became frustrating for his wife to use the stereo due to the pain involved in burning music CDs for latest audio tracks.
Special note of thanks to bhpian Mariner (my brother) for indulging in the same amount of madness and helping in research and installation while we were at it.
NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small-screen / mobile phone users. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd April 2016 at 14:06. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small-screen / mobile phone users.
niteshsharmab is offline   Reply With Quote