Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 6th July 2006, 23:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Kb100 once called me, and from the system that I recommended to him, only 1 piece of equipment worth Rs 9500/- from the whole setup I recommended was represented by my firm, that too by no means forcefully or with bias against any other particualr brand. And I also think I made him aware of several other options that he could look at, as compared to my suggestion. That of course, was a different and conservative non-guru kb100 from the one we know now. Nowadays I call him for suggestions.
Oh ya... those were the days!!... I was one Wide-Eyed dude on this here forum... soaking it all in.... How I wish I had taken your advice...!! ...
now I have gone from wide-eyed to bum broke!.... Ignorance sure WAS bliss!!

reminds me of the old 'Hasya Kavi Sammelan' line...

'woh zamaana tha.. ki TV Black & White aur Biwi colour hua karti thi! ... ab ke zamaane me ho gaya TV Colour or BIwi Black & White !!'

net net... poorer... scared (of wife! - Its Healthy!!!).. yet constantly craving kb..

Last edited by kb100 : 6th July 2006 at 23:19.
Old 6th July 2006, 23:23   #47
Team-BHP Support

Enough said. Dharams the b*lls in your court. Use your ears. Listen to all you can. Talk to dealers and settle with one you feel comfortable with.

I have been going to the same dealer for the past 10 years and never been unsatisfied. I know they dont offer the best prices but to me they do offer the convienence of location (5 min from my office) and excellent service.

My dealer has even dropped me home when my car was being overhauled and we did not discuss audio on the way.
Old 7th July 2006, 02:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it's for my dear Gunbir only...."GUNBIR...IF I MEET YOU I'M GONNA PLONK YOU ON YOUR PHATTT HEAD WITH A AUDIOBAHN 3000W RMS SUPER PHATTTT SURROUND FLAME BASKET SUBWOOFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GUYS GO TO JANTA ALL ALONE???? (Sam doesn't count, that place, in all likelihood must be his alma mater)
No we werent alone... there were quite a few people there...
Very interesting place I must say... and its less than 5 minutes away from where I live there. But of course, I had no idea it existed... Sam was treated like he owned the place, and I really enjoyed myself... Next time round, we will do this for sure. In fact, I'll even wear my superman outfit... now that would be a sight...

BTW, I saw some Peerless car audio subs in the market there. Are these Peerless India?

Last edited by gunbir : 7th July 2006 at 02:41.
Old 7th July 2006, 09:50   #49
Team-BHP Support

I'm from Mumbai what is Janta?
Old 7th July 2006, 13:54   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I'm from Mumbai what is Janta?
Janta is a quarter-bar in Bandra, Navin. Booze by the quarter, fish and chicken by the ulcer spicy.Like I told Gunbir, it's like an english Pub, gone fully wrong.
And yeah, I've got a few frequent flyer miles there lol
Old 7th July 2006, 15:32   #51
Team-BHP Support

That Janta off Hill Road. Wasn't it run by a woman in the 90s.
Old 7th July 2006, 15:54   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

There's only one janta. In the world lol. It's at the Pali Naka junction, near Punjab Sweets, Jude's cold storage, Toto's garage pub,etc etc

Don't think any woman ran it. Looks like you missed this one, you old hippie you.
Old 7th July 2006, 16:01   #53
Team-BHP Support

Maybe. In the 90s I never ventured north of Haji Ali sober (except to my office). I remember a friend of mine taking me to this joint in Bandra (I was not fully concious and all I can remember was a left turn of linking road and then a few more lefts and rights and we ended up at this place where a lady who he refered to as aunite served us drinks on a dry day). Untill last year I used to mix up Pali Hill with Hill Road.
Old 7th July 2006, 23:05   #54

hi everybody .. i have listened to almost all the systems demo cars etc and i have decided to buy the luccents ilusion. i heared the demo car and it is fantastic sound man really unbeilievable...very clear and even when the volume is very loud... and there is only one 10 woofer in the car!! and u canot even say that there is woofer in the car..seems lik all the bass is being produce from the front speakers only...

i am putting the alpine 9835 as evryone also suggested the player. the fitter said tht he will try to put the 8 inches components system in the front door if it fits or i will put the 6 inches componnt. if the 8 inches will fit then i will put only another pair of 8 inches sub in the back also in boxes and maybe not use woofer bcos when i heard the demo car with the woofer off i didnt felt the need for a woofer. but if i need then i can add the woofer afterward.otherwise i will have to put the 6 inches in front and the back and use a 10 inches woofer and a bluapunk amplifer. ajay also felt that it is waste to put 2 woofers when i am getting what bass i wanted. i am right now putting alipne amplifier for the speakers. also wire i will be using somar and supra.
but i have told ajay that if my car will not sound like his car i will give the whole systems back to him and he is taking the guarantee that the shop person will fit it properly and he will also help for the tuning ) he also told that we will have to put the damping sheets in the car for removing vibration...which is their in his car also.

total now my budget is less then what i had planned ... approx 68000rs if i dont put woofer and 80000rs if i put woofer and amplifier for woofer.. so ican buy good tires also with extra money!

now only i want to put good wheel and tires..can anyone help me with this also??? best if it is also near milan subway only then i can do everything together.. thanks everybody
Old 8th July 2006, 01:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

good to go dharma I think U have got what u wanted. Hope u dont get confused by other comments on this forum. If u like the voice u heard in the demo car then go ahead and get it install. From my side do put the sub in the this setup as it overall improves a lot..........
Old 8th July 2006, 05:39   #56

hi..thank you mr low bass maker... you know... i just cannot wait to get my car sound system installed... i am awaking at 5 o clock am today which i dont do usually..but i am very happy bcos i think i will have a good music system in my car tomorrow better then even the system at my house! but mr low bass maker i am going to try without woofer bcos i liked the sound without woofer very much.. i was wrong bcos i thought i want bass , but in my car without woofer also there is so much bass.. and even with one woofer the sound was so good in the demo car and i was really wrong to think that i need 2 woofers. . ajay said it will be ok without woofer also then i wont put it at all. but if i put i will let you know. thank you so much everyone adn low bass maker.. i think i will be able to get a good system bcos of all of you people over here.. thank u ..dharam..

now please someone help me with the weels and tires yaar...please... thank you!!!!!!!
Old 8th July 2006, 10:22   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharams
now please someone help me with the weels and tires yaar...please... thank you!!!!!!!
we have another section for this...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/
Old 8th July 2006, 21:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

Dear Gunbir/ JB...

I wonder what I have with Saturday evenings, but it sure makes my fingers tingle...

I checked up.. ID was founded in 1993 or thereabouts, longer than IA which started operations near the end of that decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
Its nice that Illusion is doing good in yachts, which are non existant in India. Any of us would consider ourselves lucky to come across a yacht install, anyways my point is that spending money in making so called waterproof or water resistant speakers for car audio is pointless.
I have been on Gautam Singhania's dhow, it's not exactly a yacht but needs a music system all the same, and is exposed to the elements. Vijay Mallya also owns one and there are many other unsung heroes of the sea. That isn't too many by any standards, but surely not non-existent. The point is that IA doesn't make speakers waterproof for marine application alone, and last of all with any consideration for India. Do you know Mr. Ravi Jagtiani by any chance, he used to be with WKH in Delhi earlier? He has installed Illusion Audio in Bombay for a marine application. And the Illusions are still merrily riding the waves without a sweat and you know the water here just isn't like the water in the seas of the US.

Quote:
The cones / motors can wear out much before baskets, does not matter if it is stamped or cast again depends on subwoofer mounting (inverted or normal).
Nope..Most synthetic cone materials are immune to water to the extent of stuff like Polypropylene being nonbiodegradable. Carbon fiber and kevlar also have no long term effects of being exposed to water. They remain the same. What do you mean by motor? Earlier you said that a voice coil exposed to water will fail, do you still think so? Aluminium does not corrode when exposed to water, mild steel does. Powder coating etc. help steel chassis bear the brunt, but they are no match in weather resistance for aluminium baskets. So materials matter a lot, and have nothing to do with mounting the driver.

Quote:
The low powered and light motor subwoofer don't need heavy baskets its only required in the high power subs with big magnets. But there is a certain sect of people in car audio claiming to percieve the difference in sound of stamped basket vs cast basket (cast basket being superior according to them) but I think its stupidity.
Umm... It's not exactly a sect of people that determine whether a subwoofer deserves a cast basket or not and percieve the difference thereof, it's calculated based on some stress theories. Factors that influence the decision would be the mass of the magnet system used and the amount of anti-vibration strength required with the aim to ensure that the basket is sufficiently strong to support the magnet without straining due to bending moments after mounting and that the basket is not induced to vibrate and produce a ringing noise due to the pressure created by the cone assembly movement. Anything over 400-500 watts rms would be a high-power subwoofer in my opinion.
Old 8th July 2006, 21:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
BTW, I saw some Peerless car audio subs in the market there. Are these Peerless India?
PTC is distributing quite a few drive-unit brands and these drivers must be from Peerless Denmark. Peerless India sure isn't selling any drivers for car in the local market.
Old 9th July 2006, 03:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PTC is distributing quite a few drive-unit brands and these drivers must be from Peerless Denmark. Peerless India sure isn't selling any drivers for car in the local market.
Thanks man. Thought as much.

Quote:
Dear Gunbir/ JB...I wonder what I have with Saturday evenings, but it sure makes my fingers tingle...
B&T, whats the point of this discussion. What you want me to say... I'll say it... Is Illusion Audio a better than average product. Yes. Being made in India, does is sound better and is built better than most of the so-called-American "made in china" crap. Yes. Should Illusion Audio have better sales than it does. Yes. Should it get more respect than it does. Yes.

Now, will my agreeing to the above give Illusion better sales. No. Will it change the fact that most car audio folks in America think Illusion Audio is a dead brand. No. Will it change the fact that Illusions sales dropped like a rock once they started manufacturing in India. No. Will it change the fact that despite almost a decade behind them, Illusion have little or no standing in the US market, dont account for much sales, arent seen much in the competition circuit. No. Will it change the fact that today, Illusion is only thought of when someone needs an ultra slim subwoofer, only eventually the person ends up buying a Pioneer shallow sub. No.

So, whats the point. Nothing I agree or disagree with, will change the scenario. Then why drag this un-necessary discussion any further. Enjoy your saturday evening. Get drunk. Score. Tell us about it....
Closed Thread