Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 19th June 2007, 11:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
what will happen if we were to enclose the rear of the driver in an airtight leather bag with polyfill (imagine a bean-bag with the driver at the narrow end)?
With a powerful subwoofer, you'll probably have polyfill all over the room.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 12:40   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
There are better ways and materials to make speaker boxes but I dont want to scare the children :-)
Quote:
BTW just about every major speaker manufacturer makes boxes out of MDF so MDF is not a bad thing, just a cheap thing (compared to the stuff that Wilson Benesch and others use)
Not fair, not fair, Navin. Us poor country bumpkins will never get a chance to see those. Kam se kam if someone is graciously donating knowledge, we will reach nirvana and shower blessings. And here you are putting teasers and leaving others bewildered. Baba, please loosen your (mental) fist, do the good deeds and earn some heavenly points.

Last edited by DerAlte : 19th June 2007 at 12:42.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 12:49   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
With a powerful subwoofer, you'll probably have polyfill all over the room.
You will be surprised - leather has great resilience and tensile strength!
Old 19th June 2007, 14:30   #79
Team-BHP Support

I have an old Zuari Rubberwood computer table. The panels etc., are 3/4"thick rubberwood, but at the joints etc., the table is giving away(its self assemblable one).
I am planning to get a new table and dismantle this one.
So I will have lots of rubberwood.
Can this rubberwood be used for making a woofer enclosure?
I do not mind DIY, but I don't know how will I cut circular holes. No drills. Maybe goto installer and ask him to cut a hole.
However if such rubberwood is not a good idea then this is toast.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 14:34   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have an old Zuari Rubberwood computer table. The panels etc., are 3/4"thick rubberwood, but at the joints etc., the table is giving away(its self assemblable one).
I am planning to get a new table and dismantle this one.
So I will have lots of rubberwood.
Can this rubberwood be used for making a woofer enclosure?
I do not mind DIY, but I don't know how will I cut circular holes. No drills. Maybe goto installer and ask him to cut a hole.
However if such rubberwood is not a good idea then this is toast.
No it's not a bad idea. But AFAIK the zuari computer tables are made out of paper-laminated LDF and MDF, like bhutan board, not out of rubber wood..

You can difinitely make a box out of this, but don't forget to BRACE.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 14:37   #81
Team-BHP Support

Oh, ok. They are made of thick hard wood, which looks similar to our rubberwood dining table(the color). So I guessed.
I will check out the dimensions and find a good combo for 10" sub and 2 coax. I will make it a ported box so that the amp does not need to be overloaded.
BTW its a very big table with lots of boards.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 14:44   #82
Senior - BHPian

But these kinds of artificial wood are pretty flimsy & a good long boom could loosen the screws right out.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 15:39   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
stuff that Wilson Benesch and others use
Got it! Beyond the esoteric language, makes a lot of sense from the engineering standpoint. But, couldn't figure out how they weigh 70Kg? Do they fill sand at the botttom or what?

Till now the most exotic I'd heard of was stone (or the stone equivalent of MDF) - don't remember the company, had seen it in Den Den Town in Osaka coupled with a valve-based amp.

What's "Free space" in this context, Navin-ji?
Old 19th June 2007, 19:48   #84
BHPian

Quote:
If you are old and senile. I am dead, buried and probably reborn.
That's why they say it is second childhood... enjoy it afresh, along with your son

Quote:
MDF is often called wood.
Point to be noted! I was suspecting the same since everybody was indirectly pointing towards that. Also, I take back my comment about "wood" being claimed only for DSW models. The same is mentioned for a couple of other boxes too!

I have scanned the leaflet, will post it in the concerned thread.

Last edited by santosh.s : 19th June 2007 at 19:50.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 23:41   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not fair, not fair, Navin. Us poor country bumpkins will never get a chance to see those..
I have mentioned this before so those who have heard this before please excuse me.

I believe that pre stressed MDF and Marine Grade Ply laminated with resin bonded fiberglass can make a rather stiff box all the while keeping the box cost, weight and panel thickness to a minimum. What I mean is that 3mm of MDF, 4mm of Marine grade ply, 2 x 3mm of FRP (total 13mm) will be stiffer and lighter than a 25mm MDF (not cheaper, but not that much more expensive either). This sandwich might be the best local option considering cost, ease of use and stiffness/weight ratio.

I do believe that bracing can make up for panel thickness all the while making for a better box that stores less energy (a la research done by Celestion for their SL600 and research done by B&W for their Matirx series).

Der Alte, almost all the materials I use are avaialble in India to all of us. One just has to look. Maybe my past expereince with materials (from ceramics, to fiberglass and kevlar, to various metals) helps me a little bit but I am no mechanical engineering or material science graduate so I guess anyone can do this, so dont get overawed.

I have experimented with all sorts of damping and absorbing materials incl 1.5 mm lead sheet, bitumen, granite (a la Michel Barnes of Norh), and more. My next speaker will use a 6mm SS base (instead of MDF) laminated with FRP (6mm). Another BHPian is trying to help me get hold of 1-2mm thick woven graphite fabric/sheet. if this works I wont need to finish the speaker (my back up idea is to embed black colour anodised aluminum sheet (0.5mm) into the FRP before it dried completely to provide a piano gloss finish). Woofers will be 2 15" in OB-dipole (maybe Eminence), midbasses will be 2 6" (Seas or ScanSpeak) in push-push and tweeters (same as mids) will be 2 1" in dipole/bipole. No box. No passive XO. See you got me ranting again! Sorry!
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 11:58   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Der Alte, almost all the materials I use are avaialble in India to all of us. One just has to look. Maybe my past expereince with materials (from ceramics, to fiberglass and kevlar, to various metals) helps me a little bit but I am no mechanical engineering or material science graduate so I guess anyone can do this, so dont get overawed.
Boss, I was referring to hearing all those brands that you mention. It all starts there, no? We know most of the materials, but unless we encounter an intriguing instance we never look behind the sound. In that you are perhaps generously endowed, which - coupled with your curiosity - sets you apart.

Most innovation is generated by such coincidences, and one doesn't have to be educated in Mech Engg or Mat Sc to apply insights brought about by amazement followed by common sense. "Nicht wundern, nur erstaunen" coupled with "es gibt keine dummen Fragen nur dumme Antworten" works wonders, ja?!!!

Quote:
No box. No passive XO.
No passive XO (-> Tri-amp), bipole, dipole, I can figure. But "No box"? Thoda problem in visualizing that. I couldn't even figure out "free space". OK, I am only starting to understand Herr Linkwitz and his ilk.

Quote:
See you got me ranting again! Sorry!
If THAT was ranting, please do not be apologetic at all. RANT ON ALL YOU CAN! Me, @clip, and I am sure many more DIY types are still waiting for your rant on doing FG, to start with. Baaki hum sambhal lenge!
Old 20th June 2007, 13:55   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
"Nicht wundern, nur erstaunen" coupled with "es gibt keine dummen Fragen nur dumme Antworten" works wonders, ja?!!!

No passive XO (-> Tri-amp), bipole, dipole, I can figure. But "No box"?

RANT ON ALL YOU CAN!
1. I am begining to believe that you know me better than I suspect.

2. I am talking about Open Baffle (OB).

3. I know. I used to rant a lot in the earlier days of TBHP. Sam used to interpret/translate my rantings for the "newbies". I suspect that my ranting had to do with the lack of growth of ICE becuase once I stopped ICE grew very very fast. ICE is YOUR forum. Not navin's forum. I used to hide behind the "senile old man" label but as a Mod I must be more responsible. Just see what happened to the "should I spend more on ICE" thread! I am a bad boy. :-) Ok buss now enough ranting.
Old 20th June 2007, 19:28   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
"es gibt keine dummen Fragen nur dumme Antworten" works wonders, ja?!!!
mein Freund, dort sind viele dumme Fragen in diesem Forum. You'd be very surprised.

And Navin, you're not the only alte man here I suspect, lol.

And the discussion has been brilliant on all threads. This section so rocks!
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 20:04   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And the discussion has been brilliant on all threads. This section so rocks!
And so may it be always.
Amen!
Old 20th June 2007, 20:34   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And Navin, you're not the only alte man here I suspect, lol.
It depends on whom you ask.