Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 16th October 2014, 19:01   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Just back from a trip to Kumaon. I must say SJ1000 did its job perfectly. What a dashcam!!!
The clarity of the videos are fantastic, specially if you connect the laptop to an HDTV using HDMI cables. The wide angle is an icing on the cake.
Highly recommended.
Did you experience any sort of shakes as depicted in the opening post of this thread?

And how many hours worth of footage does a 32gb card contain? Were you emptying it out at regular intervals to retain the videos?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2014, 01:18   #212
BHPian

Default Re: SJ1000 Action / Dash Camera - An extended review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Did you experience any sort of shakes as depicted in the opening post of this thread?
As the trip was made on a hired car, so here the Sj1000's played the role of a handycam. So the videos of the trip won't do justice to the shaking problem.

I have been using the SJ1000 as a dashcam in my car, and I would say that although the shaking is reduced by adjusting the screw of the mount, but still it is present , specially in the roads of Kolkata.

Quote:
And how many hours worth of footage does a 32gb card contain? Were you emptying it out at regular intervals to retain the videos?
I can answer this part (and more).
32 gb card suffices 4 hours of continous recording at FHD.
As for the battery, it would last for about 2 hours non stop. I used it in a staggered manner in the trip (like a handycam) and everyday the charge lasted the whole day.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2014, 02:22   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
As the trip was made on a hired car, so here the Sj1000's played the role of a handycam. So the videos of the trip won't do justice to the shaking problem.

I have been using the SJ1000 as a dashcam in my car, and I would say that although the shaking is reduced by adjusting the screw of the mount, but still it is present , specially in the roads of Kolkata.

I can answer this part (and more).
32 gb card suffices 4 hours of continous recording at FHD.
As for the battery, it would last for about 2 hours non stop. I used it in a staggered manner in the trip (like a handycam) and everyday the charge lasted the whole day.
I used SJ1000 to shoot some video's on my recent trip to ladakh.
I used a slightly modified cell phone mount for the camera and the video's came out pretty decent. Video was shaky only on stretches where the road was really bad,and the fact that i was driving a Thar with bumpy ride slightly aggravated the shake, however pretty happy with overall performance.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 10:54   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I used SJ1000 to shoot some video's on my recent trip to ladakh.
I used a slightly modified cell phone mount for the camera and the video's came out pretty decent. Video was shaky only on stretches where the road was really bad,and the fact that i was driving a Thar with bumpy ride slightly aggravated the shake, however pretty happy with overall performance.
Akshay - Could you please share a pic and/or the online listing of the cell phone mount you were mentioning for SJ1000?
I am seriously considering removing the shakes from the videos.
gearhead_mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 18:04   #215
Team-BHP Support

So, I finally have the SJ M10 with me. Its SJ4000 in a smaller body. Will review it and post in this thread.
After my SJ1000 broke, I decided SJ4000, but then I discovered SJ M10. Same chipset, but smaller.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 12:10   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So, I finally have the SJ M10 with me. Its SJ4000 in a smaller body. Will review it and post in this thread.
After my SJ1000 broke, I decided SJ4000, but then I discovered SJ M10. Same chipset, but smaller.
Congratulations on the purchase.
Where did you buy it from? Did you buy the wifi version?
No pressure, I am waiting for the review
Please do post photos of the cam with the mount.
sumeshmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 17:13   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Congratulations on the purchase.
Where did you buy it from? Did you buy the wifi version?
No pressure, I am waiting for the review
Please do post photos of the cam with the mount.
Here you go
http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_113683.html
This does not have WIFI
I wanted an entry level camera without all this wifi and stuff
Here is a coupon code GBM10LG which will make it cheaper to 77$

But there is no car mount or charger. I am using my old mount. Since it takes any cell phone charger, that is not missed much. Car mounts are about 2-3$ extra
Old 14th December 2014, 11:48   #218
BHPian

Quote:
A detailed review is in order, and will be much awaited.

I intend to buy one such camera though I'm apprehensive about the load on electricals with the camera drawing power from the 12V socket and the MMI navigator / Cellphone (as a navigator) drawing power from the USB port on the Manza's ICE at the same time. Will it trip any fuses?

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 12:31   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
A detailed review is in order, and will be much awaited.

I intend to buy one such camera though I'm apprehensive about the load on electricals with the camera drawing power from the 12V socket and the MMI navigator / Cellphone (as a navigator) drawing power from the USB port on the Manza's ICE at the same time. Will it trip any fuses?

Cheers !
I have Dash Cam, MMI, Rear 12v Socket mostly charging Phone all the times.

These are not the devices that will trip your fuse. Also,the Dashcam draws 5V power that is stepped down at its Charger end.

Trick is that the 12v x Amps of Fuse = Wattage.

A high wattage device is likely to blow the respective fuse (10Amp Fuse and you are using more than 120w Load).

With Dashcams and car chargers, this is very unlikely as they are not high wattage devices.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th December 2014 at 12:33.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 14:33   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have Dash Cam, MMI, Rear 12v Socket mostly charging Phone all the times.

These are not the devices that will trip your fuse. Also,the Dashcam draws 5V power that is stepped down at its Charger end.

Trick is that the 12v x Amps of Fuse = Wattage.

A high wattage device is likely to blow the respective fuse (10Amp Fuse and you are using more than 120w Load).

With Dashcams and car chargers, this is very unlikely as they are not high wattage devices.
5V is voltage.
If you have a 10AMP fuse It just means that if your device has an issue and pulls 10 amps, the fuse will trip
At 14.4V, 10amps is about 140W.
Dashcamps are typically about 3-5W
1A at 5V USB.
That's it.

Some big screen devices pull 2A at 5V which is 10W. This again is quite les

At 14.4V 1A at 5V translates to about 300-400mA of current. That's it.
Your socket can take about 15A before tripping. Or 10A in some cars.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 14th December 2014 at 14:36.
Old 24th December 2014, 19:19   #221
Team-BHP Support

Default SJ M10, my SJ1000 replacement

With SJ1000 going boom(things break when handled hard you see), I needed a replacement.
Well, there is my mobious, works great, stellar community support, and stellar image quality too... But you see, that I use for a special purpose.
Primarily, timelapses, and other funky stuff.

I still needed something which can be used underwater, and used as a backup cam.
To be frank, I wanted a SJ4000, without WIFI of course, but the bulk was putting me off. The SJ1000 was also pretty heavy, and this I do not like. So, enter the SJ M10.
Same chipset, similar mounts but lighter and smaller. Not as small as the polaroid cube, but then polaroid cube costs quite a bit more.

So how is the image quality?
Well, its quite good. It has to be, its one of the best chipsets in budget cams.
Sure, it tends to underexpose a bit, but you can up the exposure a notch if that's what you want.

Anyways, here are a couple of sample videos
First we look at how it performs as a Dashcam.
I have taken 4 different scenes
First is against the sun, second is normal, third is to show the slight vibration which might creep in, but its fixable, and last but not the least, the night shot capability.

Second, we will see how it does underwater.
As you can see, the white balance is handled perfectly, so is the exposure. Why would you spend over 250$ on a camera not even as capable?

The casing held up for many days of underwater use. No leaks at all.

Other things to note
  • You get waterproof case and action mounts, no car mount or charging cable
  • A car mount can be had for 2-3$, as for charging, your cell phone micro USB charger will do fine
  • When using the non waterproof mount, insert a small strip of paper between the mount and the camera at the bottom, and all the shake will go away
  • Increase exposure by one notch if you are using it for show off videos rather than documenting your driving. It makes the image brighter and more pleasing
Time for a few pictures

Name:  DSC03317L.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  77.7 KB

The full collection of mounts and sticky tapes. There are quite a few. For your helmet or handlebars, all you need is there. For your dash, however you got to buy the windshield mount separately. Do note that there is an additional waterproof case cover with the mount.
Name:  20141224_183431L.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  156.1 KB

And last but not the least, there is the cradle mount, which you will use to mount to a tripod or a car suction cup. Good to know that this is much much better than SJ1000. Side by side comparison.

Name:  20141224_184642L.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  128.6 KB

Where to buy?
I looked at ebay first, but with a couple of reputed sellers refusing to ship to India, it was time to turn to gearbest. The price of 89$ was higher, but then coupon codes to the rescue
http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_113683.html
CODE:GBM10LG

NOTE: Buy Shipping/Freight Insurance. Its 2-4$ only but is very very useful if your item breaks in transit!! Due to some weird reason they do not advertise that you can buy this, but before placing your order email them or contact support and tell them to add insurance to your cart!! I repeat, do this because India post really mishandles packages.

Customs Duty : Postman will collect duty(usually less than 1000rs). No need to go to customs office. Many people report no duty being levied.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2014, 21:44   #222
BHPian

Default Re: SJ M10, my SJ1000 replacement

Quote:
With SJ1000 going boom(things break when handled hard you see), I needed a replacement.

So how is the image quality?
Well, its quite good. It has to be, its one of the best chipsets in budget cams.
Sure, it tends to underexpose a bit, but you can up the exposure a notch if that's what you want.
Thank you very much for the detailed review.
I am planning to purchase action cam and usage will primarily be on bike(handlebar,tank or helmet mount).I was contemplating between GoPro hero 4 or Sony AS100V(sony mainly because of the GPS function it offers).But I am unable to decide if it is worth going for these expensive ones considering my limited usage.So thought of purchasing something basic(less expensive), use it for a while and then upgrade if needed.This SJ M10 seems perfect choice for me especially considering size and also from the videos I saw the quality is good enough

However I would like to know about the battery life of it.How long does it last on one full charge? and also how many days did it take to reach you?

The only drawback I could see is that we cannot have a preview of the outcome, unlike gopro/some high-end ones with which we can see via mobile or on the screen.But given the price I don't think we can complain much
harsha.muvva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2014, 22:26   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Thank you very much for the detailed review.
I am planning to purchase action cam and usage will primarily be on bike(handlebar,tank or helmet mount).I was contemplating between GoPro hero 4 or Sony AS100V(sony mainly because of the GPS function it offers).But I am unable to decide if it is worth going for these expensive ones considering my limited usage.So thought of purchasing something basic(less expensive), use it for a while and then upgrade if needed.This SJ M10 seems perfect choice for me especially considering size and also from the videos I saw the quality is good enough

However I would like to know about the battery life of it.How long does it last on one full charge? and also how many days did it take to reach you?

The only drawback I could see is that we cannot have a preview of the outcome, unlike gopro/some high-end ones with which we can see via mobile or on the screen.But given the price I don't think we can complain much
It took 2 weeks to reach. Battery life is about 75 minutes. Spec says 90, but I got around 75 minutes.
But then it also depends upon usage etc., and can vary.
AS for preview of the outcome, I am not sure I follow. This cam has a screen.
Old 25th December 2014, 02:52   #224
BHPian

Quote:
AS for preview of the outcome, I am not sure I follow. This cam has a screen.
Sorry for the confusion, I somehow failed to notice it :dead horse

Thanks to you, applied the discount coupon and opted for the shipping insurance as well.Cant wait to lay my hands on it
harsha.muvva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 03:26   #225
BHPian

Fellows, what cam do you suggest for handlebar mounting on a tbts 500, a vibration magnet? I need something that record 720p if required and must be weather sealed. Appreciate any response.
prasanna.vps is offline   Reply With Quote