Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2006, 11:30   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 41
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Confused !!..Cool Sounding Car Audio on Budget advice needed

Hi ..Have been hovering around the forum for a few weeks reading up the posts on car audio /ICE setups etc....Although I did get a fairly good education on what works and what sounds good from the experts the various suggestions have got me !!

Please help me out here....

Requirement:
1. Need excellent build quality audio setup(and great sounding offcourse) for my new Santro Xing eRLX within a budget of Rs.12-15 K's.
2. Not looking for amps or subs but just the HU,front and rear speakers in the factory/stock locations.Not in the mood for MODS like MDF trays etc.
3.The music I like ... Pink Floyd ( regularly),soft rock(regularly), Hard rock(regularly),metallica(occasionally),world music/enigma(occasionally),ghazals (occasionally),instrumentals like joe satriani,kenny G,safri duo(occasionally).
4.All options needed with B&W..No grey market stuff.

What I have enquired so far ...Well not much except the Alpine 9843 for Rs.8990 being offered thru supreme sales rep with a promise of "some" discount on it.He also offered with rear speakers (coaxial) of Alpine for Rs.3.5K's(model I forgot to ask).

I've heard that JBL's speakers are good...But how would they compare with Alpine speakers?...For me clarity is also important and not just bass.
Also since I'm on a budget we would be comparing the low end ones only.


Finally do let me know of any reputed dealers in Gurgaon for JBL and other good brands...Everyone here seems to stock the grey market stuff, or maybe I'm going to the wrong shops.





quake6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 12:16   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

The 9843 at 8.5K is not bad but consider too the Blaupunkt Monterey at the same price. I'd listen to both before paying money.

The Santro does not accomodate large speakers in it's stock locations. So you might find your system a bit bass shy. That said you can get 2 pairs of coax for front and rear for about 5-8K (for 2 pairs).

Ref speakers: I would urge you to listen to JBL and Alpine and decide for yourself. as long they come with Bill and a Manufacturers Warranty and your dealer is not a cheat you will do good with either. The difference is more a matter of taste.

Last edited by navin : 10th July 2006 at 12:22.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 12:31   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Gurgaon

Quake, I think 'MyCar' in DLF Galleria stocks both JBL and Alpine. Also there is 'Musicar' further down that same road...
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 12:49   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 41
Thanked: 0 Times
Post

Navin..You mentioned Monterey...What about Clarion (especialy 366)...I read in a thread on this forum that it was a good one.
Do we have people on this forum who have experienced this HU?

I would surely listen before I pay but is it advisable to mix and match speakers..Like JBL in front and Alpine at the back or vice versa?
Also is there anyway to install components without making mdofications to the dash- or rear tray?

Gunbir..Thanks for the references...Can you PM me the phone numbers (if you have them) of these shops.How good would an install from these shops be?
quake6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 13:30   #5
BHPian
 
Driven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 106
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

hi,,
for ur kind of music preference u should go for a three way somponent system,,u'll enjoy it,, trust me,,
regards,,
driven












Quote:
Originally Posted by quake6
Hi ..Have been hovering around the forum for a few weeks reading up the posts on car audio /ICE setups etc....Although I did get a fairly good education on what works and what sounds good from the experts the various suggestions have got me !!

Please help me out here....

Requirement:
1. Need excellent build quality audio setup(and great sounding offcourse) for my new Santro Xing eRLX within a budget of Rs.12-15 K's.
2. Not looking for amps or subs but just the HU,front and rear speakers in the factory/stock locations.Not in the mood for MODS like MDF trays etc.


3.The music I like ... Pink Floyd ( regularly),soft rock(regularly), Hard rock(regularly),metallica(occasionally),world music/enigma(occasionally),ghazals (occasionally),instrumentals like joe satriani,kenny G,safri duo(occasionally).
4.All options needed with B&W..No grey market stuff.

What I have enquired so far ...Well not much except the Alpine 9843 for Rs.8990 being offered thru supreme sales rep with a promise of "some" discount on it.He also offered with rear speakers (coaxial) of Alpine for Rs.3.5K's(model I forgot to ask).

I've heard that JBL's speakers are good...But how would they compare with Alpine speakers?...For me clarity is also important and not just bass.
Also since I'm on a budget we would be comparing the low end ones only.


Finally do let me know of any reputed dealers in Gurgaon for JBL and other good brands...Everyone here seems to stock the grey market stuff, or maybe I'm going to the wrong shops.







Driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 14:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake6
[left]Requirement:
1. Need excellent build quality audio setup(and great sounding offcourse) for my new Santro Xing eRLX within a budget of Rs.12-15 K's.
2. Not looking for amps or subs but just the HU,front and rear speakers in the factory/stock locations.Not in the mood for MODS like MDF trays etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven
u should go for a three way somponent system
Hi Driven,

I dont think you read his full post properly
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 14:07   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Hi Driven,

I dont think you read his full post properly
I think Driven has had too much ghobi aloo... bro you need some chicken in you...
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 14:31   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Ya not everybody can afford to have butter chicken everyday, he will be facing health problem in the long run..........lol....... so I think aloo ghobi is also a must for everyone.......
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 14:39   #9
BHPian
 
Autophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 930
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Good LBM you have started keeping track of people's bowel behaviour too
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 14:41   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

thanks for the compliment JB...............lol

would u like to add some thing to the menu............
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 14:52   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake6
Navin..You mentioned Monterey...What about Clarion (especialy 366)...I read in a thread on this forum that it was a good one.
Do we have people on this forum who have experienced this HU?
Sam has installed the 366 himself (for a friend) on a rainy night, with a barely functional flash light, in a car where some of the fuses were blown. :-)

I did think about the 366 as well but wonder if it is in teh same price range as the Blau Monterey and 9843. If it is why not. It is supposed tobe well built - almost as well built as Sam. :-)
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 15:12   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 41
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Sam has installed the 366 himself (for a friend) on a rainy night, with a barely functional flash light, in a car where some of the fuses were blown. :-)

I did think about the 366 as well but wonder if it is in teh same price range as the Blau Monterey and 9843. If it is why not. It is supposed tobe well built - almost as well built as Sam. :-)
Oops I know what 'friend' you are talking about ;-)...Read that Cinkara thread!!

Sam..How has the performance been ever since, was satisfaction guaranteed??....I meant of the 366 ofcourse ;-)
quake6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 15:32   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

quake form my side get a pioneer 5850 hu it will cost u 7k and about the speakers get the jbl 6x9 for the rear and they can be easliy fitted under the stock location using long screws other wise like navin ji said if u install in the stock location u will not be able to hear the bass from those small speaker. But one more thing u can do is put the small 4 inches in the stock location and put any active sub in the boot for a clean install with a good voice also.........
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 16:02   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 41
Thanked: 0 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
quake form my side get a pioneer 5850 hu it will cost u 7k and about the speakers get the jbl 6x9 for the rear and they can be easliy fitted under the stock location using long screws other wise like navin ji said if u install in the stock location u will not be able to hear the bass from those small speaker. But one more thing u can do is put the small 4 inches in the stock location and put any active sub in the boot for a clean install with a good voice also.........
1. LBM the price you've mentioned for the PIO would be without B&W I presume..Problem is that even through I have had good experiences with Pioneer, I have a pioneer home DVD player for the last 3 years..bought in the UK and its doing a great job, but getting conned into buying a fake worries me no end...I also know that if I can makeout a product is genuine I wouldn't mind letting go of the warranty in lieu of the reduced cost..But the big question is how does a layman identify a spurious/used from a genuine??

2.Although I'm sure a sub and amp(like Driven mentioned) would be great sounding I don't have the budget for it and secondly need the boot for practical purposed like luggage.

3. Would the JBL 6*9 involved cutting/modding the tray or the interiors in any way?..would it restrict the boot space in any way?
quake6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 16:16   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

firstly from where u r going to install the hu if pioneer will be having both the options open for u it means he will tell u the prices for the grey and with b/w hu. so u can clearly see there will be no differnce in both of the hu except some stickers only.

secondly I said a active sub it means it will have a sub and amp both in a same enclousre. and it will be not so big which will waste ur boot space. but u can add connectors to disconnect the sub in case u need some more space.....

thirdly i will try to post some pics of the same to show how it was installed.....but any way there will be no cutting there only 4 holes on the plastic where the speaker will be installed under the oem space......
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai i20 1.2L Asta - It's not cool; it's uber cool! manz Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 49 28th January 2011 18:12
I am totally confused - Expert Input Much Needed - Budget 10-12Lacs! HSV Sedans 61 25th February 2008 13:46
Expert Advice Needed: Audio System for Ikon(Budget 20 K) mohit_moh In-Car Entertainment 5 18th November 2007 20:45
Confused about audio config. exceeding budget luvjascha In-Car Entertainment 52 10th August 2006 20:15
Budget Car Audio Advice Needed Guys thief In-Car Entertainment 22 26th January 2006 14:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks