Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th September 2006, 18:53   #166
Senior - BHPian

Gunbir,
I somehow did not find most 5 ch amp to give a good power for sub.
I like to feel the bass, and need 300 to 600W RMS.

Moreover In Civic there is no opening behind the arm rest, so sub will have to be louder to create similar effect.

Navin,
I am not in favour of 2 Subs, being a family man you can very well understand. So I need a single decent sub. Will rather go for a 15" if required.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 19:05   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
Moreover In Civic there is no opening behind the arm rest, so sub will have to be louder to create similar effect.
ST - The arm rest open or closed did not make a huge difference in the sound of the system. I think with a 15" you should be pretty well off & would be able to feel the bass.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 19:10   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
ST - The arm rest open or closed did not make a huge difference in the sound of the system. I think with a 15" you should be pretty well off & would be able to feel the bass.
why go in this arm rest thing.....go for the infinte baffle on the rear deck the best possible option without any loss in bass .......a little damping would be required....

I would suggest a multi amp setup dont go for a single amp as there is no powerfull amp in that catagory....if it is there it is damm expensive.....

one thing can be done that go for a 4-ch amp ......connect the front with two channels and bridge the other two to the sub......
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 19:19   #169
Senior - BHPian

For a change this is my own hard earned money, which I am yet to accumlate for IcE

And I want a pure SQ setup with single sub. At end of it if I find the sub loud I can always reduce the gain but once I buy and realize it is not enough then increasing it will be much more difficult.
Moreover as you can see that while the amp is capable of providing 900W, I am not utilizing that.

I have heard few cars by now and my choices are based on my experiences!

Initially I started with 15k overall budget but then I realized that to really have your fingers tapping automatically you need little more dough. This will be my couple of months salary and is intended to be a long term investment.

Lastly I would want to have a stealth install to avoid any undue attention.
Old 15th September 2006, 19:25   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Initially I started with 15k overall budget but then I realized that to really have your fingers tapping automatically you need little more dough. This will be my couple of months salary and is intended to be a long term investment.

Lastly I would want to have a stealth install to avoid any undue attention.
so what are ur plans to get the ICE work done till now.....any budget allocated...
Old 15th September 2006, 20:29   #171
BHPian

Quote:
I have heard few cars by now and my choices are based on my experiences!
well said man....
Now that u have heard few systems,u r well placed to know urself what u need acc. to ur taste.Thats what all of our experts advise.

So u can go ahead with 2amp set-up+15" sub in sealed box.I dont think u would prefer sub in ported box/infinte baffle install.

I have been a great advocate of SQ and subsequently sealed boxes and i think that for any pure SQ set-up,selaed box is must,even better than well-made/tuned & ported box.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 22:05   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
why go in this arm rest thing.....go for the infinte baffle on the rear deck the best possible option without any loss in bass .......a little damping would be required....
LBM the subwoofer install in the accord is IB.

Its just that a wooden plank is used as baffle rather than parcel shelf. Which offers better sealing and sound, also there is no cutting which was done in the car even the baffle was tightened in orginal bolt location behind the seats.

The subwoofer fires inside the cabin, the same way it would have been doing sitting in parcel tray hence there is no loss in the bass as front wave and back wave is totally sealed.

The car can be returned to stock whenever required which is impossible if you install the way you have suggested (in parcel tray).

Last edited by Autophile : 15th September 2006 at 22:06.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 00:09   #173
Senior - BHPian

JB / Gunbir,
The Accord's install looks very interesting and simple. Saves lot of space also! May be the way to go for me...

Few questions:
1. Is the bass tight?
2. What all is damped & how damping is done?
3. What are disadvantages of this type of install (why this is not popular over the boxed install)?

Thanks!
Old 16th September 2006, 00:18   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
JB / Gunbir,
The Accord's install looks very interesting and simple. Saves lot of space also! May be the way to go for me...

Few questions:
1. Is the bass tight?
Thanks!
I can answer only this question since I'm no expert but yes the Bass was Tight & Clean! And a very very clean install by JB.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 00:43   #175
BHPian

Quote:
JB / Gunbir,

Few questions:

1. Is the bass tight?

3. What are disadvantages of this type of install (why this is not popular over the boxed install)?

Yeah the bass is tight. All dependent upon how well the sealing has been done.

There was not much damping required in this car. Just a little bit was done to damp the parcel shelf.

IB needs a lot of work in sealing the front and back of subwoofer. It has to be right otherwise the bass will cancel out.

It gives immediate bass inside the cabin when used in locations like parcel shelf or through the ski hatch. And the boot remains usable and practical.
Old 16th September 2006, 01:50   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few questions:
1. Is the bass tight?
I think it will be not tight it...In this type of installs the lowers are produced more and the punch will be very less ......as the sub will be getting very big enclousre.....so there will be no punch there or tight

damping is like making the car rattles and vibrations to stop.....
it is done by appling damping sheet....

for further reading use this link http://www.dynamat.com/faqs_faqs.html

I dont think there is no disadvantages to this install except few like
1) the power handiling of the sub will be reduce...
2) only lowers are produced punch will be very less as compared to a enclousre setup
3) only few sub avalable in the market will work in IB aplication
4) a lots of damping would be needed to ensure the perfect sealing of the front to the back side of the sub
5) lots of labour will be required to do the job right...
Old 16th September 2006, 08:42   #177
BHPian

The bass will be tight if sealing is done right.

The power handling does reduce but there is not much effect on bass output as the sub is literally playing in a bigger enclosure and also in this type of install.

You can get immediate bass inside the cabin through ski hatch or parcel shelf which is not possible in the box install hence the loss of power and output is taken care of.

In IB install the bass is clean, crisp and fast. There is no flavour added to the driver sound as there is no enclosure.

Some of the drivers we have for IB application are ID Max, IDQ, Hertz Air Mille, Hertz Hi Energy.
Old 16th September 2006, 09:34   #178
BANNED

Hi guys,

I dont know if this is a bit OFF topic but has anyone replaced the OE Head Unit on the Civic or is it possible to do so. I am not referring to 2 HU's.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 09:50   #179
Team-BHP Support

a) I agree with Autophile. IB subs can be as tight as sealed. It is just hat the sub's T/S specs have to suit IB. I assume the sub used in the Accord does. The factors that also dictate the subs performance is sealing of the baffle as well as the trunk. I had a heck of job doing this in the poorly designed contessa (ended up going for TL) but with a car like the Accord or Superb it can be QED. (Quite Easily Done).

b) Viper - short answer - Yes. Anything is possible!
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 09:51   #180
BHPian

I don't think thats possible because of weird curved shape of the dash. Still waiting to lay my hands on civic.

Last edited by Autophile : 16th September 2006 at 09:52.