Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 17th September 2006, 00:38   #196
Senior - BHPian

How does one ensure that the baffle and trunk is completely sealed?

I know about Dynamat and it's general application (thanks to t-bhp). I wanted to know that in this/similar case what all is damped and how.
JB, do you have pics of any similar install?
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 02:00   #197
BHPian

The only way to check leaks in IB is to make baffle precision cut to the curves and angles and physically check the lekas and seal them.

You need to damp, parcel tray, boot lid, doors and roof (to some extent). Also seal the door cavities it will give you better performance out of midbass driver.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 02:16   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
The only way to check leaks in IB is to make baffle precision cut to the curves and angles and physically check the lekas and seal them.
it is a difficult and time consuming job thats why it is not prefered by everyone....thats why this type of IB is not so popular....

a sealed box will do the job fine.....so why take so much pain.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 04:59   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
it is a difficult and time consuming job thats why it is not prefered by everyone....thats why this type of IB is not so popular....
a sealed box will do the job fine.....so why take so much pain.....
On the contrary, doing IB is easier (for most installers or DIYers) in most cases than building the perfect box. LBM, since its clear you're NOT in favour of IB, how many good (properly done) IB installs have you heard? Ever installed one yourself? Ever heard an IB studio monitor? or an IB home theater subwoofer? I am just trying to understand why the bias AGAINST IB...

Theoretically, an infinitely large baffle divides the sound from the front of the driver from the sound coming from the rear, and both sides would push the same amount of infinite volume of air. In a sealed box, the rear of the cone is working against a much smaller, fixed volume of air, while the front fires into infinity. The smaller volume of air at the rear of the cone, along with standing waves, box coloration etc, result in a coloured sound... a sound which, though nice, is still largely enclosure dependant.

Comparatively, IB results in a smoother, more transparent sound. And thats one of the reasons some of the best studios have used IB monitors. Many theaters also use IB LFE sections. A lot of home theater bass freaks also build their own IB subs, usually with great results. Back to car audio, IB subs have also been used in a few competition winning installs.

End of the day, I'm not telling anyone to go for IB over sealed or ported or vice versa or whatever... theres plenty of good information out there on all of these, do your homework, trust your ears and you wont go wrong.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 12:36   #200
Senior - BHPian

The amplifiers have a remote switch on cable to be linked from HU.

Now if the HU rear is not reachable and I am using rear speaker inputs for the amp, how is this remote switching on taken care of?

Also, does any body in Bangalore has infinite baffle installation of Sub?
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 14:03   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
The amplifiers have a remote switch on cable to be linked from HU. Now if the HU rear is not reachable and I am using rear speaker inputs for the amp, how is this remote switching on taken care of?
ST, there are some good line out converters that have auto remote out capability. Check out one such, the Connection Audison SLI
Old 17th September 2006, 18:05   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
ST, there are some good line out converters that have auto remote out capability. Check out one such, the Connection Audison SLI
Cheapest option, and equally effective, is to get an amp with high-level inputs, and to borrow the turn-on signal from the head-unit's power antenna output if it has one. This can also be done anywhere along the line rather than from behind the head unit.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 18:36   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
Now if the HU rear is not reachable and I am using rear speaker inputs for the amp, how is this remote switching on taken care of?
one thing also can be done wiring the amp with the acc wire also....with a switch inline it....when the car is switched off the amp will also switch off...also if the music is not needed swtich of the amp by the switch.....
Old 17th September 2006, 19:39   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LBM, since its clear you're NOT in favour of IB, how many good (properly done) IB installs have you heard? Ever installed one yourself?
yes i have .....

It was in the year 1994 I had a maruti 1000 with two premier 1200F subs installed on the rear deck (only good free air model available then costed me 7k each)....the subs were mounted with nearly 16 nos allen nuts blots on a 0.75 inch board..with all the 8 screw also.....all the sheet under the tray was cut to make room for the subs and a sheet of thick foam was also there in between the tray and the deck to prevent any rattling.....

man they sounded very nice.....very good lowers...but there were no punch there....only songs with good continous bass sounded good not the techno type which have fast beat as they cannot produce it....thats why I said only LOW_BASS not the punch.....the low bass sound i have achevied in this IB cannot be achieved even now with my present setup....

please dont start anything about the wires or looks as it is a 12 years old install and none of the stuff avalable now was not present that time...the above install was done entirely by me....no outside help.....even the RCA was made by me....I purchase the interconnects and wire and soldered it my self......so no comments on the above install part....

and about the subs I would like to add that were the only good subs avalable in the market so had no other option...and they were not like the present pioneer 306.....they sounded far better than them

even in compititions if the IB is used it is for the lower freq only not for the punch like here

the subs were cut off at 31hz....thats is quite lower no punch will be coming put of them......so no tightnes...only hum...
Old 18th September 2006, 00:42   #205
Senior - BHPian

Hey ST7677,

I Have Listen 2x10" illusion Subs In Sealed Box In Opel Vectra.
It Rocks.. So Go For Subs With Custom Fabricated Box.

And I am Also Going For 2x12'' Illusion Subs In Custom Made Enclosure in My Innova.

If You Want To Look At My Final Setup Then Go Here. (Audio Setup For Toyota Innova)

Cheers,
Mugen_Power
Mugen_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 01:21   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power
I Have Listen 2x10" illusion Subs In Sealed Box In Opel Vectra.
It Rocks.. So Go For Subs With Custom Fabricated Box.
ya this can also be done install two illusion 12 or 10 inches depending on your tastes....these are shallow mounting subs...they take very less space and less volume to play so your boot will also remain there and no need to cut any where...to install the subs....and the responce would be good nice and tight....also they are 4 ohms... so running them through a single amp would be no problem.....
Old 18th September 2006, 01:26   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes i have .....
man they sounded very nice.....very good lowers...but there were no punch there....only songs with good continous bass sounded good not the techno type which have fast beat as they cannot produce it....thats why I said only LOW_BASS not the punch.....the low bass sound i have achevied in this IB cannot be achieved even now with my present setup....
LBM, having used the Pioneer 12"ers, I can tell you those subs didnt have much of a "punch" in the first place. Also, a lot of that punch has to come from the midbass section. I am sure like eveybody back then, you were running 4" dash speakers and not 6.5" midbasses in the doors. If you analyse this with an open mind, you will realise it was less than ideal install over which to form an opinion on IB.

Next time you do a sedan install, try a good sub(s) in an IB install, you just might change your mind.
Old 18th September 2006, 01:28   #208
BHPian

Quote:
one thing also can be done wiring the amp with the acc wire also....with a switch inline it....when the car is switched off the amp will also switch off...also if the music is not needed swtich of the amp by the switch.....
There are amplifiers which turns on by sensing speaker level and also provide remote turn on out to use multiple amplifiers.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 01:51   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LBM, having used the Pioneer 12"ers, I can tell you those subs didnt have much of a "punch" in the first place. Also, a lot of that punch has to come from the midbass section. I am sure like eveybody back then, you were running 4" dash speakers and not 6.5" midbasses in the doors. If you analyse this with an open mind, you will realise it was less than ideal install over which to form an opinion on IB.

Next time you do a sedan install, try a good sub(s) in an IB install, you just might change your mind.
agreed but not that the pioneer sub do not have punch is wrong they were rocking sub ..... about punch when installed in a sealed box they make the whole car vibrate with lots of bass....Like i said before they are not like present pioneer they were different.....they were good man.....after I sold off my 1000 I installed them in my zen in a sealed box....they surely rocked....

in the older days all the install were of IB...like in the sedan the rear deck... in all the hachback a tray was installed and sub on it...I had not seen any enclousre back then....not even a sealed one....(that time navin ji had a TL.....lol) I had listen to lots of install then... but even one off them was sounding good....thats why I suggest go for a encloure....and dont spend on experiment....

Even if st goes for a IB he would have to instal the sub on the rear seat as mounting on the rear deck will not make a stealth install which he wants and he mentioned that there is no hand rest on the rear seat ....so installing there would do no justice as the sub will be firing on the rear seat which is not advisable...since there must be a gap in front of a sub so that it does not cancel its own sound due to reflection .....

so i would suggest ST to go for a enclousre setup which will be a stealty installed and no major work will be needed....
Old 18th September 2006, 02:09   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so i would suggest ST to go for a enclousre setup which will be a stealty installed and no major work will be needed....
LBM, I was discussing this as some sweeping comments were made about IB and I feel its not entirely correct to rule out IB for SQ applications. I have already cited some reasons why I think so.

And, this wasnt about ST's install really. Its entirely his decision whether he wants to do sealed, ported, IB or whatever... I think ST knows this and I'm sure he is taking your suggestion into consideration.