Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 6th February 2007, 16:22   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
I YUM BAK!!

but yes YUUUUK ... what a dirty way to treat them wires - wonder why he did not use banana plugs/ binding posts / speaker terminals and such!!..
ST looks like you have shocked KB out of hibernation!!! Nice pics and a good install (mostly) by the way.

I am surprised at the SubEnclosure though. Having done my install at the same place, I have seen how detailed the installer can be with the small things. Thats one sore spot on an otherwise great setup.

enjoy your music !!!
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 16:33   #497
Senior - BHPian

hey where are the amps located.........

KB ..... welcome back....hope to see your install pics soon...........
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 16:40   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised at the SubEnclosure though. Having done my install at the same place, I have seen how detailed the installer can be with the small things. Thats one sore spot on an otherwise great setup.
Yes you are right, I am planning to get a new enclosure for Sub. (when the family goes out next time...
Properly with T Nuts, Bananna Plugs, Polywool and fine tuned enclosure volume.

Sound is still awesome and I have checked there is no leakage from back, but still can't compromise...

Last edited by ST7677 : 6th February 2007 at 16:42.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 17:12   #499
Senior - BHPian

Great, great pics, ST7677! And thanks so much for such detail. Each picture does say a thousand words. Your Civic is ICEd to perfection! The pics were well worth the wait.

Great job on the Sub Box too! FG work must have been a nightmare, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Good part is that the (expense) news is already broken to the lady of the house, and after listening to the audio she didn't realize anything wrong about it.

But now besides the LCD TV, she has added a request to upgrade the home audio to be at least as good as the car audio.

Another good and bad news about my car ICE is that I am still not over with it and would want to do more...
yes it starts from a need... becomes an interest... then hobby... then passion and then obsession...
Now you've converted your wife too, huh? And an LCD + Home Audio request from your wife? Wow!

What else with your ICE? Except for maybe rear speakers, I cant find anything missing!

And where are the amps? Under the seats? Concealed under the carpet in the Boot?
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 17:13   #500
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back, KB!!! That was a long hibernation
Old 6th February 2007, 17:44   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Welcome back, KB!!! That was a long hibernation
quite a long hibernation.....

from 21/10/2006 13:09 to 6/2/2007 15:24....

109 days 2 hrs and 15 mins.....

(hope I am correct)
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 17:57   #502
BANNED

WHAT!!! ?????
ST7677 hits back with a BIG bang and lots of pictures. And KB is back again to what he does best.

@ST. Thanks a lot. For the pics and also waking up KB.
@KB. A li'l surprise seems to be on the way.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 20:16   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

ST, I congratulate your attention to detail and the neutral look at your own install.

Well done! My 2 paise:

Obviously the Sub box terminal is a big no no. Please buy a male SPEAKON from Neutrik along with the female, mountable receptacle. If you cannot find it, tell me I will courier it to you. I cannot bear to see that wire.

2. I have used that Scosche High to low convertor in a VR-V and frankly I was not impressed - either with the HU or the convertor audio quality.

At some later stage please change the HU. You get a scosche panel for the civic, that allows you to fit a regular HU. Just a suggestion.

This is a detailed install that you have put love and care into. Also one of the better damping jobs I've seen. Congratulations. Please let us know how it sounds after a few days.

@KB - welcome back!
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 21:53   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashock
And I hope you have budgeted for 3 sets of good 2ch RCA interconnects, and good power wiring.
Please elaborate more on this. Which pair connects what?

Also my friend(auto accessory shop owner) is giving me good discounts on Pioneer.
So need your views on that brand too.
How good are the TS-C160R component fronts..??
and TS-691R or even the regualar 6990 or 6991 speakers..??
How about the GM-6200F amp for speakers..??
And D510 Amp for the 306sub??
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 23:49   #505
Senior - BHPian

@scary,
RCAs:
- One pair of RCAs for the front channel (goes into the 4-ch amp, from the HU's front ch pre-outs),
- Second pair of RCA's for the rear channels (goes into the 4-ch amp, from the HU's rear ch pre-outs) &
- Third pair of RCAs for the sub (goes into the sub's amp, from the HU's sub-out).

Power:
Power wiring (4 guage) comes from the battery to near where the amps are, and terminates in a Distribution Block. Two 8 guage wires (or even two 4 guage wires) lead from the D-Block and go into the amps (one each per amp). The amps will need to be grounded, and that's another set of wires, one from each amp to the ground-terminal. A fuse will be fixed in a fuse holder, near the battery end of the 4 guage power wire. All this will be taken care of, if you buy a good quality amp installation kit.

Depending on the brand, you'll need to spend between 1.5K to 3K for RCAs, and between 3K to 7K for Power wiring. As long as you don't go for elCheapo brands like BOSS, you'll be ok.

I personally wouldn't go for Pio speakers. I think your earlier choices were better. But in a pinch, I guess the Pio amps should be all right, simply because they will be cheaper than the JBL amps you mentioned in your earlier post. To me, the JBL amps will sound better. And the JBL sub would be much, much better than the Pio 306 sub. The Pio 306 gets pretty loud, but that is about it. A lot of boom boom.

I hope your friend is a really good friend, and just not an acquaintance running a car accessory shop. I'm mentioning this because Pio is about the most knocked-off brands of car audio in our country. If you're buying without B&W you should choose your sources really well.
Old 7th February 2007, 09:14   #506
BHPian

Lightbulb

Quote:
@scary,
RCAs:
- One pair of RCAs for the front channel (goes into the 4-ch amp, from the HU's front ch pre-outs),
- Second pair of RCA's for the rear channels (goes into the 4-ch amp, from the HU's rear ch pre-outs) &
- Third pair of RCAs for the sub (goes into the sub's amp, from the HU's sub-out).
Ok will keep this in mind If I decide to have an aftermarket HU.
Now what exactly wires to use n what connections to make for the OEM unit...??? (no preouts)

Quote:
@scary,
I personally wouldn't go for Pio speakers. I think your earlier choices were better.
Hmmm.....Well, I thought that using top of line pioneer speakers like these kevlar cone ones should be as good as JBL GTO or atleast the CS series..

Quote:
I'm mentioning this because Pio is about the most knocked-off brands of car audio in our country.
although A.S.S. is not a problem but anyways Is what you said above really true? (Just asking cuz never had experience with any other brand. Pioneer all the way since all the years, mainly due to the easy availabilty and VFM)
and LOL, reading this also makes me wonder as to how many times have I read in the ICE forum of guys running pioneers posting pics and all and raving about their systems.......
Old 7th February 2007, 09:45   #507
BHPian

Thumbs up Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

At some later stage please change the HU. You get a scosche panel for the civic, that allows you to fit a regular HU. Just a suggestion.
You mean something like this???
Welcome to Scosche Industries

I assume then that this is available for the RHD version too...
How about the availability and price of this kit? I cant get this in Ludhiana surely.
How about Delhi and all?

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 7th February 2007 at 09:55.
Old 7th February 2007, 10:18   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm.....Well, I thought that using top of line pioneer speakers like these kevlar cone ones should be as good as JBL GTO or atleast the CS series..
Scary, the speakers you are looking at are easily available for audition. Please listen to the shortlisted brands and then decide. Believe me all of us have very different music tastes and one brand good for me, may not be good for you.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 10:44   #509
BHPian

Scary,

Scosche makes for LHD Civic. However the RHD kit is also available though it is rare and expensive.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 11:14   #510
BHPian

expensive....Hmmm...like how much approx.
If too expensive, then better to go for an additional HU (like that Accord job)....
Or just use the high input to Amp.

Anyways. Speakers will be decided after listening to all only.
The biggest problem I face is the Wires (power, speaker or RCA).
All that is available is the Fake JBL kit (in that round bag), or some "glider" brand, or some unbranded ones (but quite thick)....

Worst case I can always go in for Finolex wire for power.
But speaker or rca wire????????................. :-(

Anybody from Chandigarh or Delhi who can confirm the brands of wires available there?

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 7th February 2007 at 11:16.