Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 21st June 2015, 11:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ertiga DIY: Installing a 2-DIN Stereo with Bluetooth

Hi Parag and others,
I was planning to do this on our SX4 but I found the pinouts stated by you to be different than whats given in the service manual of the Swift as well as SX4. This is especially related to the speaker polarity. It is exactly the reverse as mentioned in the opening post. I cross checked with both the Swift and SX4 and found that the speaker polarity was reversed. Refer to the below images for information:

Swift
Ertiga DIY: Installing a 2-DIN Stereo with Bluetooth-swift.jpg

SX4
Ertiga DIY: Installing a 2-DIN Stereo with Bluetooth-sx4.jpg

The power cables can be easily traced but the speakers polarity is difficult to make out unless we trace it till the door or the speaker itself. Coming to the head unit, I am planning to go for the Blaupunkt Las Vegas or San Diego. They come ready with steering control support which will make the job a little easier. I guess the other head units come with ready support but I am not willing to lose the controls at any cost. Even the Pioneer HU on the Dzire has support for steering controls but since the car itself doesnt have them, I couldnt experiment with it.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:24   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hi Parag and others,
I was planning to do this on our SX4 but I found the pinouts stated by you to be different than whats given in the service manual of the Swift as well as SX4. This is especially related to the speaker polarity. It is exactly the reverse as mentioned in the opening post. I cross checked with both the Swift and SX4 and found that the speaker polarity was reversed. Refer to the below images for information:
Thanks audioholic for this vital piece of information. For the speaker polarity during my DIY install, I referred to quite a few Youtube videos as well as google images to understand the pin-outs. Now that you depict these pictures from the SX4 and Swift, I suspect that the polarity in my existing set-up may indeed be in reverse order.

All I did to connect the speakers is pull out the OE connectors on speaker end and connect it to the new speakers. But the actual polarity would have got reversed at the interface end like you mention.

I would not want to reverse the polarity at the interface end simply because it would involve opening the HU and as well ripping apart the well insulated wires. Instead, I will do this at the speaker end and test the same.

In case of my WagonR, since everything including the wiring related to ICE is an aftermarket set-up to which I later added Amp and Subwoofer, I followed the simple Dip/Bulge method to ascertain the polarities.

Proper polarity would ensure the speaker paper would bulge out for high bass effects and would sink in if otherwise. It had worked for me.

But what you have shared would mean I will have to try reversing and checking. So far the only complaint that I have with this set-up (Hertz Components for Front and Hertz Co-axial s for rear) is that the sound at low volumes is very feeble and is music to ears only after I cross 15 on the Volume control. I am aware that adding am Amp would also improve the low end punch as I have such a set-up in the WagonR but trying out reversing the polarities would be an interesting experiment now!

Quote:
I am planning to go for the Blaupunkt Las Vegas or San Diego. They come ready with steering control support which will make the job a little easier. I guess the other head units come with ready support but I am not willing to lose the controls at any cost. Even the Pioneer HU on the Dzire has support for steering controls but since the car itself doesnt have them, I couldnt experiment with it.
Not a harm at all settling for Blaupunkt.
In fact for steering controls you have lovely aftermarket interfaces based on the car's OE Stereo and is a direct PnP.

I am still working on patiently for the steering mounted audio control DIY and it should happen soon.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not a harm at all settling for Blaupunkt.
In fact for steering controls you have lovely aftermarket interfaces based on the car's OE Stereo and is a direct PnP.

I am still working on patiently for the steering mounted audio control DIY and it should happen soon.
Pioneers and Blaupunkts don't need an interface as they are SWC ready. All they need is a connection from the SWC and they can be taught the various functions. I don't want an additional interface sitting in the middle.

Regarding SWC DIY, I guess the contact coils must be changed to accommodate the wiring for the whole setup. If the contact coils are locally made it will be a rather inexpensive fix. However if they are SGP it will cost a bomb. Once you change the contact coil, fixing the steering wheel controls is an easy task and also I guess the SWC part is quite cheap too.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:06   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Regarding SWC DIY, I guess the contact coils must be changed to accommodate the wiring for the whole setup.
There may be a change/addition since I have a VDi. A control module that sits behind the horn pad on the steering wheel. I am currently evaluating the options to make things work out easily in favor of this DIY with a clean execution minus hanging wires.

Else, I already have the part numbers ready to order for this DIY including the Switch module and the part around the horn pad.
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There may be a change/addition since I have a VDi. A control module that sits behind the horn pad on the steering wheel. I am currently evaluating the options to make things work out easily in favor of this DIY with a clean execution minus hanging wires.

Else, I already have the part numbers ready to order for this DIY including the Switch module and the part around the horn pad.
In MSILs product line, the models which have airbags and which don't have consist of different contact coils. So the Z versions will have a more complicated contact coil since they should interface SWC, Horn and Airbag wires. In the lower variants, its limited to a Horn. Hence you should upgrade the coil in order to route wires from the buttons to the outside of the steering.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 06:15   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Successfully completed the installation today. Here is how I solved the 3 issues

Hello arjithin, Yesterday i started the process of installing aftermarket head unit in my Ertiga (2012 Zdi) and i ran into the same issues. The screws in the bracket (5 of 6) were super tight and i couldn't remove them at all. They were all stripped. I ordered bracket (both left & right) with 6 screws from ESSAAR MGP bommanahalli and awaiting call on delivery. I also got the trim from them for the same 330 Rs.

Meanwhile could you please help me where did you get the harness adaptor and antenna adaptor ? I will post my installation updates here.

Mod Note: Please keep the length of quoted post to a minimum. Makes it easier for others to read

Last edited by ampere : 17th September 2016 at 21:04. Reason: Reduced quoted post
ravigop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 07:31   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
The screws in the bracket (5 of 6) were super tight and i couldn't remove them at all. They were all stripped.
They were indeed tight during my installation as well. But I had a set of screw drivers with different grip designs that one of them helped me loosen them.

Quote:
Meanwhile could you please help me where did you get the harness adaptor and antenna adaptor ? I will post my installation updates here.
If you had ordered from ebay, you would get that delivered in under 3 days.

Here's the link of the product - Car Stereo Wiring Harness.

The seller is good and will respond to all your messages on time. You can order the Stereo harness based on the Model you have and also the Antenna connector. Send him a message soon after you place the order and he will confirm you the product that he is shipping as he has harness for all models of Stereo and interface for all OE systems.
Old 8th March 2016, 08:14   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
Hello arjithin, Yesterday i started the process of installing aftermarket head unit in my Ertiga (2012 Zdi) and i ran into the same issues. The screws in the bracket (5 of 6) were super tight and i couldn't remove them at all. They were all stripped. I ordered bracket (both left & right) with 6 screws from ESSAAR MGP bommanahalli and awaiting call on delivery. I also got the trim from them for the same 330 Rs.

I bought the Antenna adapter from here

I already had an extra harness with me, so didnt purchase it. But you will find many sellers in Ebay (like the one Parag mentioned).
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 11:22   #54
BHPian

Hi All,

First of all apologies for not creating a separate thread on this (manly due to lack of time). One issue I faced while integrating the after market HU using a dash-kit was the lack of fit and finish . To mitigate this problem, I had used a combination of m-seal and polyester putty to fill the gaps making it more stock looking. Thought of sharing this for the benefit of Forum members. Happy to answer any questions.

Name:  IMG_0357.JPG
Views: 1131
Size:  175.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0358.JPG
Views: 1128
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0359.JPG
Views: 1134
Size:  175.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0360.JPG
Views: 1124
Size:  188.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0361.JPG
Views: 1146
Size:  128.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0362.JPG
Views: 1151
Size:  142.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0363.JPG
Views: 1120
Size:  160.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0365.JPG
Views: 1102
Size:  158.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1133.JPG
Views: 1105
Size:  150.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1136.JPG
Views: 1125
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1137.JPG
Views: 1110
Size:  196.5 KB

Cheers,
Venki
venki7744 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 08:34   #55
BHPian

Default ICE Upgrade - Ertiga 2016 VXI A/T

To give a background I have been running custom ICE since 2002. I still recall my Zen with an imported Pioneer system alongwith some sweet sounding coaxial alongwith other stuff. Moved to Corsa in 2005 and got myself a Sony AMP and Blaupunkt bass tube alongwith standard Coaxials and other stuff run by a Sony 55w headunit.

Moved to a Ritz in 2012 and got it custom fitted through Ramie (Sound Factor) in Mumbai. Currently running a Pioneer 6 channel, Kicker Components, Boston Co-axials alongwith Sony Amp and Bass tube from my Corsa. The system is really good interms of clarity with the right punch

I know you had to go through the background but this was critical for the group to understand my ask. Ritz is being replaced by an Ertiga VXI A/T 2016 which comes with stock nippon system alongwith built in Bluetooth connectivity. My first preference is to retain the stock ICE for its look and feel and would like to upgrade ICE in 3 phases and I listen to all kinds of music.

Phase 1 - Speaker Upgrade on stock wires running on stock unit, I am ok with a set of Compos in the front and coaxials somewhere in a box, to minimise door vibrations, typical maruti trait. Budget 15k.

Phase 2 - Would prefer to add an underseat powered sub under the front seat running on stock head unit with minimal wiring distribution. Budget 10k

Phase 3 - This comes into play if I am not happy with the sound of the stock head-unit after going through Phase 1 & Phase 2 and it becomes imperative to change the head-unit. Add a touch screen Head-unit preferable 6 channel which powers my front Compo's, rear coaxials along with the sub.

Need recommendation for speakers, sub and head-units if I need to go through Phase 3.

Note: All 3 phases would be executed in the next 3 months.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th June 2016 at 10:11. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
e4gleeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 20:12   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Stereo Interface Connector
Hi Parag

I am planning to change the OE system in my Wagon R VXI. I need a connector that can connect to car audio cable at one end (like yours) and has a ISO connector at other end. Did you come across such connector?

Can you please share the shop adress from where you bought the connector? Thanks

Last edited by ampere : 17th September 2016 at 21:05. Reason: Formatted quoted post
PraNeel is offline   Reply With Quote